XCOR Aerospace is a private rocket engine and spaceflight development company based at the Mojave Spaceport in Mojave, California. The term privately held company refers to ownership of a business company in two different ways first referring to ownership by non-governmental organizations and second Jeff Greason is a founder of XCOR Aerospace, the Personal Spaceflight Federation, was the team lead at Rotary Rocket for engine development and previously For other uses of this term see Industry (disambiguation An industry (from Latin industrius, "diligent industrious" Aerospace engineering is the branch of Engineering behind the design construction and science of Aircraft and Spacecraft. Space tourism is the recent Phenomenon of tourists paying for flights into space pioneered by Russia In Marketing, a product is anything that can be offered to a Market that might satisfy a want or need A sub-orbital spaceflight (or sub-orbital flight is a Spaceflight in which the Spacecraft reaches space, but its Trajectory intersects In business revenue or revenues is Income that a company receives from its normal business activities usually from the sale of goods and services A website (alternatively web site or Web site, a back-construction from the Proper noun World Wide Web) is a collection of Web pages A rocket engine is a Jet engine that uses only Propellant mass for forming its high speed propulsive jet. Spaceflight is the use of Space technology to fly a Spacecraft into and through Outer space. Mojave is a Census-designated place (CDP in Kern County, California, United States. XCOR was formed by former members of the Rotary Rocket rocket engine development team in September, 1999. Rotary Rocket Inc, was a rocketry company headquartered in a facility at Mojave Airport that developed the Roton concept in the late 1990s as a fully reusable XCOR is headed by Jeff Greason. Jeff Greason is a founder of XCOR Aerospace, the Personal Spaceflight Federation, was the team lead at Rotary Rocket for engine development and previously
The Rocket Racer on landing roll-out at Mojave. The Velocity SE is the entry level canard pusher aircraft from Velocity Aircraft. Events 437 - Valentinian III, Western Roman Emperor, marries Licinia Eudoxia, daughter of his cousin Theodosius II Year 2007 ( MMVII) was a Common year starting on Monday of the Gregorian calendar in the 21st century.
Aft view of the Rocket Racer on landing roll-out at Mojave.
Projects have included:
- EZ-Rocket, a Rutan Long-EZ homebuilt aircraft fitted with two 400 lbf (1. The XCOR EZ-Rocket is a test platform for the XCOR rocket propulsion system The Rutan Model 61 Long-EZ is a Homebuilt aircraft with a canard layout designed by Burt Rutan 's Rutan Aircraft Factory. This article deals with the unit of force For the unit of mass see Pound (mass. 8 kN) thrust rocket engines replacing the normal propeller engine. EZ-Rocket has been flown at numerous airshows including the Oshkosh Airshow. EAA AirVenture Oshkosh (formerly The EAA Annual Convention and Fly-In is an annual gathering of Aviation enthusiasts held each summer at Wittman Regional Airport
- Rocket Racer - The EZ-Rocket program led to the rocket plane design for the Rocket Racing League. The Rocket Racing League is a proposed Racing league that would use Rocket powered Aircraft. This consists of a modified Velocity SE with a 1500lbf LOX-kerosene engine. The Velocity SE is the entry level canard pusher aircraft from Velocity Aircraft. The engine uses pressure-fed LOX and pump-fed kerosene, a combination that allows the fuel to be stored in the airplane's wing tanks while avoiding potential complications with pumping liquid oxygen.
- The Lynx rocketplane, capable of carrying a pilot and a passenger or payload on flights to 65 km by 2010. The Lynx rocket plane is being developed by the California-based company XCOR to compete in the future suborbital space flight Between 20 and 50 test flights of Lynx are planned, along with numerous static engine firings on the ground. A full step-by-step set of taxi tests, runway hops and full-up flights are planned to get the vehicle to a state of operational readiness.
Lynx is roughly the size of a small private airplane. It would be capable of flying several times a day making use of reusable, non-toxic engines to help keep the space plane's operating costs low.
- Tea cart engine, a 15 lbf (67 N) thrust rocket motor burning nitrous oxide and ethane, mounted on a small industrial cart. The tea cart engine has repeatedly been fired indoors at conferences and demonstrations and had accumulated over 1,100 firings and 6,000 seconds of run time by the end of 2003.
- LOX-methane rocket engines in testing in 2005.
- Early LOX-methane work led to a NASA contract, jointly with ATK, to develop a 7500 lbf engine for potential use as the CEV lunar return engine. Alliant Techsystems Inc ( is an American aerospace and defense company with approximately 17000 employees and operations in 21 states Orion is a Spacecraft design currently under development by the United States space agency NASA. On January 16, 2007 XCOR announced the successful test firing of a preliminary "workhorse" version of this engine. Events 27 BC - The title Augustus is bestowed upon Gaius Julius Caesar Octavian by the Roman Senate. Year 2007 ( MMVII) was a Common year starting on Monday of the Gregorian calendar in the 21st century. 
- XCOR has plans to develop Xerus, a reusable suborbital spaceplane for tourist and scientific payload applications. Xerus (pronunciation zEr'us is a suborbital spaceplane under development by XCOR Aerospace. The vehicle will be the minimum feasible size -- one pilot plus one passenger -- in order to keep development and capital costs down.
- XCOR has developed Nonburnite (tm), a cryo-compatible, inherently non-combustible composite material based on a thermoplastic fluoropolymer resin. Low coefficient of thermal expansion and inherent resistance to microcracking make it well suited to cryogenic tank use and also part of vehicle structure.
External links The Personal Spaceflight Federation is a Private spaceflight industry group incorporated as an industry association for the purposes of establishing ever higher levels of safety The Ansari X PRIZE was a Space competition in which the X PRIZE Foundation offered a US$ 10000000 Prize for the first non-government Rocket mail is the delivery of Mail by Rocket or Missile. The rocket would land by deploying an internal parachute upon arrival
© 2009 citizendia.org; parts available under the terms of GNU Free Documentation License, from http://en.wikipedia.org
network: | |