The World Coal Institute (WCI) is a non-profit, non-governmental association, funded by coal enterprises and stakeholders.
The World Coal Institute represents the coal industry in international energy and environmental policy and research discussions. The WCI undertakes lobbying, organises workshops and provides coal information to decision makers, the general public and educational organisations on the benefits and issues surrounding the use of coal.
- Represent the coal industry in international policy discussions on energy and the environment.
- Promote the use of clean coal technologies to improve the environmental performance of coal. Clean coal is an Umbrella term used in the promotion of the use of Coal as an energy source by emphasizing methods being developed to reduce its environmental impact
- Highlight the role affordable and abundant coal resources play in a world concerned with energy security. Access to cheap energy has become essential to the functioning of modern economies
- Provide information to decision-makers and opinion formers to ensure they are fully informed of the contribution of coal to social and economic development.
- Distribute information on the importance of coal as the single largest source of fuel for electricity generation, and its role in other industries – including steel production, cement manufacturing, chemicals and liquid fuels. Electricity generation is the process of converting non-electrical Energy to Electricity.
- Work with other key organisations within the international coal industry, to coordinate actions and maximise resources to improve the performance and perception of coal worldwide.
- Address misconceptions about coal through the production and dissemination of information resources.
- Lobbying, policy development and contributing to discussions on issues impacting the coal community.
- Creating international partnerships between the coal industry and important international agencies and participating in a wide range of influential bodies including:
- Organising policy workshops with key government representatives, industry and international organisations.
- Information production and dissemination via a website – www.worldcoal.org – and various publications:
The World Coal Institute is operated by a London-based secretariat.
External links Clean coal is an Umbrella term used in the promotion of the use of Coal as an energy source by emphasizing methods being developed to reduce its environmental impact Carbon capture and storage ( CCS) is an approach to mitigating Global warming based on capturing Carbon dioxide (CO2 from large Coal mining is the extraction or removal of Coal from the Earth by Mining.
© 2009 citizendia.org; parts available under the terms of GNU Free Documentation License, from http://en.wikipedia.org
network: | |