For the novel by Henry Miller, see Tropic of Cancer (novel)
. Tropic of Cancer is a Novel by Henry Miller, first published in 1934 by Obelisk Press in Paris and still in print
World map showing the Tropic of Cancer
The tropic of cancer or Northern tropic, is one of five major circles of latitude that mark maps of the Earth. A circle of latitude, on the Earth, is an imaginary East - West circle connecting all locations (not taking into account elevation that share a given EARTH was a short-lived Japanese vocal trio which released 6 singles and 1 album between 2000 and 2001 It is the northernmost latitude at which the Sun can appear directly overhead at noon. Latitude, usually denoted symbolically by the Greek letter phi ( Φ) gives the location of a place on Earth (or other planetary body north or south of the The Sun (Sol is the Star at the center of the Solar System. This event occurs at the June solstice, when the northern hemisphere is tilted towards the sun to its maximum extent. Solstices occur twice a year when the tilt of the Earth's axis is most oriented toward or away from the Sun, causing the Sun to reach its northernmost and southernmost extremes
The Tropic of Cancer currently lies 23° 26′ 22″ north of the Equator. This article describes the unit of angle For other meanings see Degree. The equator (sometimes referred to colloquially as "the Line") is the intersection of the Earth 's surface with the plane perpendicular to the North of this latitude are the subtropics and Northern Temperate Zone. The subtropics are the zones of the Earth immediately north and south of the tropic zone which is bounded by the Tropic of Cancer and the Tropic of The equivalent line of latitude south of the equator is called the Tropic of Capricorn, and the region between the two, centered on the Equator, is known as the Tropics. For the novel by Henry Miller, see Tropic of Capricorn (novel. The Tropics are centered on the Equator and limited in Latitude by the Tropic of Cancer in the northern hemisphere at approximately 23°26' (23
The line is called Tropic of Cancer because when it was named the sun was in the location of the constellation of Cancer (Latin for crab) in the sky at the June solstice. In common usage a constellation is a group of celestial bodies that are connected together in some arrangement typically stars to form a visible figure or picture Cancer ( Crab, symbol, Unicode ♋ is one of the twelve Constellations of the Zodiac. Latin ( lingua Latīna, laˈtiːna is an Italic language, historically spoken in Latium and Ancient Rome. Crabs are decapod Crustaceans of the infraorder Brachyura, which typically have a very short projecting "tail" (βραχύ / brachy However, due to the precession of the equinoxes, the sun is now in the location of the constellation of Taurus at the June solstice. In Astronomy, Precession refers to the movement of the rotational axis of a body such as a planet with respect to Inertial space. Taurus (it looks like a bull (ˈtɔrəs bull, symbol, Unicode ♉ is one of the Constellations of the Zodiac. The word "tropic" itself comes from the Greek tropos, meaning turn, referring to the fact that the sun appears to "turn back" at the solstices.
The position of the Tropic of Cancer is not fixed, but varies in a complex manner over time; see under circles of latitude for information. A circle of latitude, on the Earth, is an imaginary East - West circle connecting all locations (not taking into account elevation that share a given
Monument marking the Tropic of Cancer northeast of Villa de Cos, Zacatecas
. Zacatecas is one of the 31 constituent states of Mexico. It is located in the north-central region and it is bounded to the northwest by Durango The United Mexican States ( or commonly Mexico (ˈmɛksɪkoʊ () is a federal constitutional Republic in North America.
The Tropic of Cancer passes through the following countries (going east):
- United States - Hawaii : sea area only, misses every island, passing between Nihoa and Necker Island. The United States of America —commonly referred to as the The State of Hawaii ( or həˈwaɪʔiː Hawaiian: Mokuāina o Hawaii) is a state in the United States located on an Archipelago in the Nihoa (also known as Bird Island or Moku Manu) is a small island in the Northwestern Hawaiian Islands located northwest of the island of Niihau Necker Island ( Hawaiian: Mokumanamana) is a small island in the Pacific Ocean, north of the Tropic of Cancer, located at.
- Mexico - Just north of Mazatlán on the Pacific. The United Mexican States ( or commonly Mexico (ˈmɛksɪkoʊ () is a federal constitutional Republic in North America. Mazatlán ( IPA: zat ˈlan is a city in the Mexican state of Sinaloa; the surrounding Municipio (municipality for which The Pacific Ocean is the largest of the Earth 's Oceanic divisions
- Bahamas - Exuma Islands and Long Island. The Bahamas, officially the Commonwealth of The Bahamas, is an independent sovereign English -speaking country consisting of two thousand Cays and For the musician Exuma see Exuma (musician. Exuma is a district of the Bahamas, consisting of over 360 islands (or This article is about the island in the Bahamas For other uses of the word "Long Island" see Long Island (disambiguation.
- Western Sahara - Claimed by Morocco. Western Sahara ( Arabic: الصحراء الغربية; transliterated: as-Ṣaḥrā' al-Gharbīyah; Sahara Occidental is a territory Morocco (المغرب "al-Maghrib" officially the Kingdom of Morocco (المملكة المغربية is a country located in North Africa
- Chad – Its northernmost point is defined by the Tropic of Cancer. Mauritania (موريتانيا Mūrītāniyā officially the Islamic Republic of Mauritania, is a country Mali, officially the Republic of Mali (République du Mali is a Landlocked nation in Western Africa. Algeria ( ar [[Arabic]] الجزائر, Al Jaza'ir ælʤæˈzæːʔir Amazigh: ⴷⵥⴰⵢⴻⵔ Dzayer) officially the People's Niger ( or /ˈnaɪdʒɚ/) officially the Republic of Niger, is a Landlocked country in Western Africa, named after the Niger River. Libya ( ليبيا ar-Latn Lībiyā; Libyan vernacular: Lībya; Amazigh:) officially the Great Socialist People's Libyan Arab Chad (Tchad تشاد Tshād) officially known as the Republic of Chad, is a Landlocked country in Central Africa.
- Saudi Arabia
- United Arab Emirates - Abu Dhabi emirate only. This article is about the country of Egypt For a topic outline on this subject see List of basic Egypt topics. The Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, KSA ( المملكة العربية السعودية, al-Mamlaka al-ʻArabiyya as-Suʻūdiyya) or Suudi Abu Dhabi, officially the Emirate of Abu Dhabi, (إمارة أبو ظبي, literally "Father of Gazelle " is one of seven emirates that
- Burma (Myanmar)
- People's Republic of China - Just north of Guangzhou, also known as Canton. Oman, officially the Sultanate of Oman ( Arabic: سلطنة عُمان) is an Arab Country in Southwest Asia on the southeast India, officially the Republic of India (भारत गणराज्य inc-Latn Bhārat Gaṇarājya; see also other Indian languages) is a country ( Bengali: বাংলাদেশ inc-Latn Bangladesh) officially Burma, officially the Union of Myanmar ( pjìdàunzṵ mjàmmà nàinŋàndɔ̀ is the largest country by geographical area in mainland Southeast Asia. Talk People's Republic of China) PEOPLE'S REPUBLIC OF CHINA ARTICLE GUIDELINES Guangzhou ( Jyutping: Gwong²zau¹; Yale: Gwóngjàu) is the Capital and a Sub-provincial city
- Republic of China - Taiwan. REPUBLIC OF CHINA ARTICLE GUIDELINES Taiwan ( Taiwanese: Tâi-oân/Tāi-oân (historically 大灣/台員/大員/台圓/大圓/台窩灣 is an Island in East Asia.
According to the Fédération Aéronautique Internationale's rules, for a flight to compete for a round-the-world speed record, it must cover a distance no less than the length of the Tropic of Cancer as well as cross all meridians and end on the same airfield where it started. The Fédération Aéronautique Internationale (FAI is the world governing body for Air sports and Aeronautics and Astronautics world records This article is about the geographical concept For other uses of the word see Meridian. This length is set to be 36787. 559 kilometres - a number implying a precision which does not exist, considering the variations of the tropic described above.
For an ordinary circumnavigation the rules are somewhat relaxed and the distance is set to a rounded value of 37000 kilometres.
See also For the novel by Henry Miller, see Tropic of Capricorn (novel. The Arctic Circle is one of the five major circles of latitude that mark maps of the Earth. The Antarctic Circle is one of the five major circles (or parallels of latitude that mark maps of the Earth. The equator (sometimes referred to colloquially as "the Line") is the intersection of the Earth 's surface with the plane perpendicular to the The practice of shaving new seamen and ducking them in the sea the first time they cross the Tropic of Cancer.© 2009 citizendia.org; parts available under the terms of GNU Free Documentation License, from http://en.wikipedia.org
network: | |