The term triumvirate (from Latin, "of three men") is commonly used to describe a political regime dominated by three powerful individuals. Ancient Rome was a Civilization that grew out of a small agricultural community founded on the Italian Peninsula as early as the 10th century BC The Roman Kingdom ( Latin: Regnum Romanum) was the monarchical Government of the city of Rome Events and trends 756 BC — Founding of Cyzicus. 755 BC — Ashur-nirari V succeeds Ashur-Dan III as king of Assyria The Roman Republic was the phase of the ancient Roman civilization characterized by a Republican form of government a period which began with the overthrow of the Year 27 BC was a Common year starting on Sunday (link will display the full calendar of the Julian calendar. The Roman Empire was the post-Republican phase of the ancient Roman civilization, characterised by an autocratic form of government and large territorial Year 27 BC was a Common year starting on Sunday (link will display the full calendar of the Julian calendar. Events By place Western Roman Empire September 4 — Romulus Augustus, the last Emperor of the Western Roman Empire The Principate is the first period of the Roman Empire, extending from the beginning of the reign of Caesar Augustus to the Crisis of the Third Century, The Western Roman Empire refers to the western half of the Roman Empire, from its division by Diocletian in 285 the other half of the Roman Empire was the Eastern The Dominate was the ' despotic ' latter phase of government in the ancient Roman Empire between its establishment in 27 BC and the formal date of the collapse The Roman Constitution or Mos maiorum (Latin for "custom of the ancestors" was an unwritten set of guidelines and principles passed down mainly The Constitution of the Roman Kingdom or Mos maiorum (Latin for "customs of the ancestors" was an unwritten set of guidelines and principles The Constitution of the Roman Republic or Mos maiorum (Latin for "customs of the ancestors" was an unwritten set of guidelines and principles The Constitution of the Roman Empire or Mos maiorum (Latin for "customs of the ancestors" was an unwritten set of guidelines and principles passed The Constitution of the Late Roman Empire or Mos maiorum (Latin for "customs of the ancestors" was an unwritten set of guidelines and principles The History of the Roman Constitution is a study of Ancient Rome that traces the progression of Roman political development from the founding of the city of Rome The Roman Senate was a political institution in Ancient Rome. The Roman Assemblies were institutions in Ancient Rome. They functioned as the machinery of the Roman legislative branch and thus (theoretically at least passed all legislation The Roman Magistrates were elected officials in Ancient Rome. Consul (abbrev cos; Latin plural consules) was the highest elected Political office of the Roman Republic and the Empire. Praetor was a title granted by the government of Ancient Rome to men acting in one of two official capacities the commander of an Army, either before Quaestors were originally appointed by the Consuls to investigate criminal acts and determine if the consul needed to take public action A promagistrate is a person who acts in and with the authority and capacity of a magistrate, but without holding a magisterial office Aedile ( Aedilis, from aedes aedis "temple" "building" was an office of the Roman Republic. Tribune (from the Latin: tribunus; Byzantine Greek form τριβούνος) was a title shared by 2–3 elected magistracies in the A Censor was a magistrate of high rank in the ancient Roman Republic. A Roman governor was an official either elected or appointed to be the chief administrator of Roman law throughout one or more of the many provinces constituting the Dictator was a Political office of the Roman Republic. The dictator was above the three branches of government in the Constitution of the Roman Republic The Master of the Horse was (and in some cases is a historical position of varying importance in several European nations The Tribuni militum consulari potestate, or Consular Tribunes were Tribunes elected with Consular power during the Conflict of the Orders The King of Rome ( Latin: rex regis) was the Chief magistrate of the Roman Kingdom. Decemviri (singular decemvir) is a Latin term meaning "Ten Men" which designates any such commission in the Roman Republic (cf The Roman Emperor was the ruler of the Roman State during the imperial period (starting at about 27 BC A legatus (often anglicized as legate) was a general in the Roman army, equivalent to a modern general officer Dux (plural duces) is Latin for leader (from the verb ducere, 'to lead' and could refer to anyone who commanded troops such Officium (plural officia) is a Latin word with various meanings in Ancient Rome, including "service" "(sense of duty" "courtesy" Prefect (from the Latin praefectus, perfect participle of praeficere: "make in front" i Vicarius is a Latin word meaning substitute or deputy. It is the root and origin of the English word " Vicar " and Cognate to the Persian The Vigintisexviri (sing vigintisexvir) was a college ( collegium) of minor magistrates ( magistratus minores) in the Roman Republic The lictor, derived from the Latin ligare (to bind was a member of a special class of Roman civil servant with special tasks of attending and guarding Magister militum ( Latin for "Master of the Soldiers" was a top-level military command used in the later Roman Empire, dating from the reign of The Latin word Imperator was a title originally roughly equivalent to commander during the period of the Roman Republic. The princeps senatus (plural principes senatus) was the first member by precedence of the Roman Senate. The Pontifex Maximus was the high priest of the Ancient Roman College of Pontiffs. Augustus (plural augusti) Latin for "majestic" "the increaser" or "venerable" was an Ancient Roman Caesar (plural Caesars Latin: Caesar (plural Caesares is a Title of imperial character Tetrarchy ( Greek: "leadership of four " can be applied to any system of government where power is divided between four individuals Roman law is the legal system of Ancient Rome. As used in the West the term commonly refers to legal developments prior to the Roman/Byzantine state's adopting Imperium in a broad sense translates as power. In Ancient Rome the concept applied to People, and meant something like "power The mos maiorum (lit ways of the ancestors) were the ancestral Traditions an unwritten code of Laws and conduct of the Collegiality is the relationship between colleagues Definition of collegiality Colleagues are those explicitly united in a common Purpose and respecting Citizenship in the time of Ancient Rome was a privileged status afforded to certain individuals with respect to laws property and governance Auctoritas is a Latin word and is the origin of English " Authority " The cursus honorum ( Latin: "course of honors" or "honors race" was the sequential order of Public offices held by aspiring Information on politics by country is available for every Country, including both De jure and De facto independent Latin ( lingua Latīna, laˈtiːna is an Italic language, historically spoken in Latium and Ancient Rome. The arrangement can be formal or informal, and though the three are usually equal on paper, in reality this is rarely the case. The term can also be used to describe a state with three different military leaders who all claim to be the sole leader of the state.
- Twice in the late pre-Principate period of the Roman republic, political power shifted from the formal magistrates and senate to three ambitious men, who thus constituted a transitional government, known as triumviratus, each time only to break up again in civil war:
- What modern scholars call the First Triumvirate was an informal political alliance of two rival generals, Julius Caesar and Pompey the Great representing the popular viz. The Principate is the first period of the Roman Empire, extending from the beginning of the reign of Caesar Augustus to the Crisis of the Third Century, The Roman Republic was the phase of the ancient Roman civilization characterized by a Republican form of government a period which began with the overthrow of the The Roman Senate was a political institution in Ancient Rome. See also the First Triumvirate (Argentina which came to power in 1811 Gnaeus Pompeius Magnus, commonly known as Pompey /'pɑmpi/ Pompey the Great or Pompey the Triumvir ( Classical Latin abbreviation senatorial party, with the extremely wealthy businessman Marcus Licinius Crassus. Marcus Licinius Crassus ( Latin: M·LICINIVS·P·F·P·N·CRASSVS (ca This fell apart after the death of Crassus, and the two other triumvirs fought a civil war, during which Pompey was killed and Caesar established his sole rule as perpetual dictator.
- The Second Triumvirate was a formal governing body, consisting of Octavian and Mark Antony, the rivals for real power, and third wheel Marcus Aemilius Lepidus. See also the Second Triumvirate (Argentina which held power in 1812 Augustus ( Latin: IMPERATOR·CAESAR·DIVI·FILIVS·AVGVSTVS September 23 63 BC – August 19 AD 14) born Gaius Octavius Thurinus, was Marcus Antonius (in Latin: M·ANTONIVS·M·F·M·N ( c January 14 83 BC&ndash August 1, 30 BC known in English as Mark Marcus Aemilius Lepidus ( Latin: M·AEMILIVS·M·F·Q·N·LEPIDVSborn ca 90 BC died 13 BC, was a Patrician Roman politician Lepidus was sidelined early on in the triumvirate, and Antony was eliminated in a civil war, leaving Octavian as the sole leader.
- In various municipalities, also under the Principate, the chief magistracy was a college of three, styled triumviri.
The title was revived a few times for (short-lived) three-headed political 'magistratures' in post-feudal times.
Ironically, when the French revolutionaries turned to several Roman Magistrature names for their new institutions, the three-headed collective Head of State was bizarrely named Consulat, a term in use for two-headed magistratures since Antiquity; furthermore it included a "First Consul" who was not an equal, but the de facto solo head of state and government- a tyrannical position Napoleon Bonaparte chose to convert openly into the First French Empire. Head of state is the generic term for the individual or collective office that serves as the chief public representative of a Monarchic or Republican Nation-state The Consulate was the government of France between the fall of the Directory in the coup of 18 Brumaire in 1799 until the start of the First Consul (Premier Consul was a title used by Napoleon Bonaparte following his seizure of power in France. Napoleon Bonaparte (15 August 1769 – 5 May 1821 was a French military and political leader who had a significant impact on the History of Europe. The Empire of the French (1804-1814 also known as the Empire of France, Greater French Empire, First French Empire, French Empire, or
Prior to Napoleon and during the Terror Robespierre, Louis de Saint-Just, and Couthon, as members of the governing Committee of Public Safety, were purported by some to have formed an unofficial triumvirate. Maximilien François Marie Isidore de Robespierre (maksimiljɛ̃ fʁɑ̃swa maʁi izidɔʁ də ʁɔbɛspjɛʁ ( 6 May 1758 – 28 July 1794) Louis Antoine Léon de Saint-Just ( August 25, 1767 &ndash July 28, 1794) usually known as Saint-Just, was a French revolutionary Georges Auguste Couthon ( December 22, 1755 - July 28, 1794) was a French politician and lawyer of the Revolutionary period The Committee of Public Safety (Comité de salut public le Haut Comité de la santé publique which is an entirely unrelated present-day institution--> set up by the Although officially all members of the committee shared equal power the three men's friendship and close ideological base led their detractors to declaim them as 'triumvirs' which was used against them in the coup of 9 Thermidor
In the Roman Republic (1849), the title of two sets of three joint chiefs of state in the year 1849:
- 29 March - 1 July 1849: Carlo Armellini (b. The Thermidorian Reaction was a revolt in the French Revolution against the excesses of the Reign of Terror. See also Roman Republic, Roman Republic (18th century The Roman Republic was a short-lived (four months state established on February 8 Events 1461 - Wars of the Roses: Battle of Towton - Edward of York defeats Queen Margaret to become King "July 1st" redirects here For the Ayumi Hamasaki song see H (song. Year 1849 ( MDCCCXLIX) was a Common year starting on Monday (link will display the full calendar of the Gregorian calendar (or a Common Carlo Armellini (1777 - 1863 was an Italian politician activist and jurist 1777 - d. 1863), Giuseppe Mazzini (b. Giuseppe Mazzini ( June 22, 1805, Genoa, Italy - March 10, 1872, Pisa, Italy was an Italian Patriot 1805 - d. 1872) & Conte Aurelio Saffi (b. Aurelio Saffi ( August 13 1819 &ndash April 10 1890) was an Italian politician active during the period of Italian unification 1819 - d. 1890)
- 1 July till 4 July 1849: Aurelio Saliceti (again), Alessandro Calandrelli (b. "July 1st" redirects here For the Ayumi Hamasaki song see H (song. Events 836 - Pactum Sicardi, peace between the Principality of Benevento and the Duchy of Naples Year 1849 ( MDCCCXLIX) was a Common year starting on Monday (link will display the full calendar of the Gregorian calendar (or a Common 1805 - d. 1888) & Livio Mariani (no dates available)
- After the downfall of the first (and only thus styled) King of Greece, the Bavarian Othon on 23 October 1862, and Dimitrios Voulgaris' unsuccessful term (23 October 1862 - 30 January 1863) as president of the Provisional Government, a Triumvirate (30 January-30 October 1863) was established consisting of the same Dimitrios Voulgaris, the renowned Admiral Konstantinos Kanaris (b. Otto of Greece (Όθων Βασιλεύς της Ελλάδος Othon Vasileus tis Ellados) (1 June 1815 – 26 July 1867 was made the first modern king of Greece Events 4004 BC - Creation of the world begins according to the calculations of Archbishop James Ussher 42 BC - Year 1862 was a Common year starting on Wednesday (link will display the full calendar of the Gregorian calendar (or a Common year starting on Monday Dimitrios Voulgaris (Greek Δημήτριος Βούλγαρης ( December 20, 1802 - January 10, 1878) was a Greek revolutionary fighter Events 4004 BC - Creation of the world begins according to the calculations of Archbishop James Ussher 42 BC - Year 1862 was a Common year starting on Wednesday (link will display the full calendar of the Gregorian calendar (or a Common year starting on Monday Events 1648 - Eighty Years' War: The Treaty of Münster is signed ending the conflict between the Netherlands and Spain Year 1863 ( MDCCCLXIII) was a Common year starting on Thursday (link will display the full calendar of the Gregorian calendar (or a Common Events 1648 - Eighty Years' War: The Treaty of Münster is signed ending the conflict between the Netherlands and Spain Events 637 - Antioch surrenders to the Muslim forces under Rashidun Caliphate after the Battle of Iron bridge. Year 1863 ( MDCCCLXIII) was a Common year starting on Thursday (link will display the full calendar of the Gregorian calendar (or a Common Dimitrios Voulgaris (Greek Δημήτριος Βούλγαρης ( December 20, 1802 - January 10, 1878) was a Greek revolutionary fighter Constantine Kanaris ( or Canaris, Greek: Κωνσταντίνος Κανάρης) (1793 or 1795September 14 1877 was a Greek admiral freedom 1790 - d. 1877) and Benizelos Rouphos (b. Benizelos Rouphos ( Μπενιζέλος Ρούφος) (1795 - 1868 was a Greek politician and Prime Minister. 1795 - d. 1868), which acted as a Regency until the arrival of the newly styled next Monarch, the first "King of the Hellenes" Georgios I. George I King of the Hellenes (Γεώργιος A' Βασιλεύς των Ελλήνων Georgios A' Vasileus ton Ellinon; 24 December 1845 &ndash 18 March 1913 was
- A de facto triumvirate was set up during the First World War, to head the "Provisional Government of National Defence" in Thessaloniki, in September 1916, consisting of the popular liberal statesman Eleftherios Venizelos, General Panagiotis Danglis and Admiral Pavlos Koundouriotis. World War I (abbreviated WWI; also known as the First World War, the Great War, and the War to End All The Movement of National Defence (Κίνημα της Εθνικής Αμύνης was a revolution by Venizelist officers in Thessaloniki in 1916 against the royal Thessaloniki (Θεσσαλονίκη), Thessalonica, or Salonica is the second-largest city in Greece and the capital of Macedonia Eleftherios Venizelos (full name Elefthérios Kyriákou Venizélos, Greek: Ελευθέριος Κυριάκου Βενιζέλος ( Mournies Panagiotis Danglis (Παναγιώτης Δαγκλής was a Greek general of the Hellenic Army and a politician Admiral Pavlos Kountouriotis (1855-1935 (Παύλος Κουντουριώτης was a Greek naval hero and twice President of Greece.
- Another de facto triumvirate existed during the early years of the Greek military junta of 1967-1974, where the junta's three main leaders were Colonel Georgios Papadopoulos, Brigadier Stylianos Pattakos and Colonel Nikolaos Makarezos. Regime of the Colonels redirects here For the Polish regime of colonels see Colonels' group. Georgios Papadopoulos (Γεώργιος Παπαδόπουλος ( May 5, 1919 June 27, 1999) was the head of the military Coup d'état Stylianos Pattakos ( Greek: Στυλιανός Παττακός) (born November 8, 1912) was a Greek military man and one of the Nikolaos Makarezos ( Greek: Νικόλαος Μακαρέζος; born 1919 was a Greek military leader and one of the masterminds of the Greek military With the increasing predominance of Papadopoulos from 1970 on, this triumvirate ceased to function.
- The United Provinces of New Granada, now present day Colombia, and Panama, were headed by two triumvirates in the period known as the Foolish Fatherland. The United Provinces of New Granada was a Country in South America from 1812 to 1816, a period known in Colombian history as the Colombia (kəˈlʌmbɪə officially the Republic of Colombia () is a country in northwestern South America. Panama, officially the Republic of Panama (República de Panamá) is the southernmost country of Central America.
- Interim Triumvirate, October 5, 1814 - November 23, 1814
- Triumvirate of the United Provinces of New Granada, November 23, 1814- October 1815
- Custodio García Rovira
- Antonio Villavicencio, Replaced Rovira during his second term as he could not preside over. Events 869 - The Fourth Council of Constantinople is convened to decide about what to do about Patriarch Photius of Constantinople Year 1814 ( MDCCCXIV) was a Common year starting on Saturday (link will display the full calendar of the Gregorian calendar (or a Common Events 800 - Charlemagne arrives at Rome to investigate the alleged crimes of Year 1814 ( MDCCCXIV) was a Common year starting on Saturday (link will display the full calendar of the Gregorian calendar (or a Common José María del Castillo y Rada (born December 20, 1776 in Cartagena de Indias - died June 5 1833 in Bogotá) was a neo-granadine politician José Joaquín Justo Camacho Lago ( July 17, 1766 - August 31, 1816) was a Neogranadine statesman lawyer journalist and professor José Luis Álvaro Alvino Fernández Madrid ( February 19, 1789 - June 28, 1830) was a Neogranadine statesman physician scientist Events 800 - Charlemagne arrives at Rome to investigate the alleged crimes of Year 1814 ( MDCCCXIV) was a Common year starting on Saturday (link will display the full calendar of the Gregorian calendar (or a Common José Custodio Cayetano García Rovira (March 2 1780 - August 8 1816 was a Neogranadine general statesman and painter who fought for the independence of New Granada Antonio Villavicencio y Verástegui ( January 9, 1775 - June 6, 1816) was a Neogranadine Lieutenant Statesman and soldier
- José Manuel Restrepo, was never sworn in. Don Jose Manuel Restrepo (1781 - 1863 was an investigator of Colombian flora, political figure and Historian.
- José Miguel Pey de Andrade, replaced Restrepo as he declined. José Miguel Pey y García de Andrade ( March 11, 1763 - August 17, 1838) was a Colombian Statesman and soldier and July 28, 1815
- Manuel Rodríguez Torices
- In the present Dominican Republic (eastern part of formerly Spanish Hispaniola island), twice (in a long list of styles, basically juntas, some also of three) :
- 29 May 1866 - 22 August 1866 - 1st Triumvirate (in rebellion from 1 May 1866):
- Pedro Antonio Pimentel Chamorro (b. Events 1540 - Thomas Cromwell is executed at the order of Henry VIII of England on charges of Treason. Year 1815 ( MDCCCXV) was a Common year starting on Sunday (link will display the full calendar of the Gregorian calendar (or a Common year Manuel Rodrí­guez Torices (full birth name Manuel Juan Robustiano de los Dolores Rodrí­guez Torices y Quiroz) ( May 24 1788 - October 5 The Dominican Republic ( Spanish: República Dominicana;) is a nation located in the Caribbean region and shares the island of Hispaniola with Hispaniola (from Spanish, La Española) is the second-largest and most populous Island of the Antilles, lying between the islands of A military junta is a government ruled by a committee of military leaders Events 363 - Roman Emperor Julian defeats the Sassanid army in the Battle of Ctesiphon, under the walls of the Year 1866 ( MDCCCLXVI) was a Common year starting on Monday (link will display the full calendar of the Gregorian calendar (or a Common Events 392 - Arbogast has Eugenius elected Western Roman Emperor. Year 1866 ( MDCCCLXVI) was a Common year starting on Monday (link will display the full calendar of the Gregorian calendar (or a Common Events 305 - Diocletian and Maximian retire from the office of Roman Emperor. Year 1866 ( MDCCCLXVI) was a Common year starting on Monday (link will display the full calendar of the Gregorian calendar (or a Common 1830 - d. 1874; formerly one of three 'Generals-in-Chief' 23 January 1865 - 24 January 1865)
- Gregorio Luperón (b. Events 393 - Roman Emperor Theodosius I proclaims his nine year old son Honorius co-emperor Year 1865 ( MDCCCLXV) was a Common year starting on Sunday (link will display the full calendar of the Gregorian calendar (or a Common year Events 41 - Gaius Caesar (Caligula, known for his eccentricity and cruel Despotism, is Assassinated by his disgruntled Year 1865 ( MDCCCLXV) was a Common year starting on Sunday (link will display the full calendar of the Gregorian calendar (or a Common year Gregorio Luperón ( September 8, 1839 - May 21, 1897) born at Puerto Plata, was a Dominican military and state leader who 1839 - d. 1897) PA
- Federico de Jesús García
- 26 September 1963 - 25 April 1965 - 2nd Triumvirate :
- Emilio de los Santos (b. Events 46 BC - Julius Caesar dedicates a Year 1963 ( MCMLXIII) was a Common year starting on Tuesday (link will display full calendar of the Gregorian calendar. Events 1607 - Eighty Years' War: The Dutch fleet destroys the anchored Spanish fleet at Gibraltar. Year 1965 ( MCMLXV) was a Common year starting on Friday (link will display full calendar of the 1965 Gregorian calendar. 1903 - to 22 December 1963) (chairman; from 29 December 1963 succeeded by Donald Joseph Reid Cabral, b. Events 1790 - The Turkish fortress of Izmail is stormed and captured by Suvorov and his Russian armies Year 1963 ( MCMLXIII) was a Common year starting on Tuesday (link will display full calendar of the Gregorian calendar. Events 1170 - Thomas Becket: Thomas Becket Archbishop of Canterbury is assassinated inside Canterbury Cathedral by followers of King Henry II Year 1963 ( MCMLXIII) was a Common year starting on Tuesday (link will display full calendar of the Gregorian calendar. 1923, UCN, new chairman)
- Manuel Enrique Tavares Espaillat (b. 1929)
- Ramón Tapia Espinal (b. 1926 - d. 2002)
The word has been used as a term of convenience, though not an official title, for other groups of three in a similar position :
- Commonwealth Triumvirate in Andromeda describes the leading arrangement of the All Systems Commonwealth. New York ( is a state in the Mid-Atlantic and Northeastern regions of the United States and is the nation's third most populous Sheldon Silver (born February 13, 1944) is a lawyer a Politician and a member of the Democratic Party, currently serving as Speaker David Alexander Paterson (born May 20 1954 is an American politician and the current Governor of New York. Joseph L Bruno (born April 8, 1929) is an American businessman and Republican politician The Great Triumvirate is a term that refers to the three statesmen who dominated the United States Senate in the 1830s and 1840s Henry Clay of Kentucky Henry Clay Sr ( April 12, 1777 &ndash June 29, 1852) was a nineteenth-century American statesman and Orator who Daniel Webster (January 18 1782 &ndash October 24 1852 was a leading American Statesman during the nation's Antebellum Period. John Caldwell Calhoun (March 18 1782 &ndash March 31 1850 was a leading United States Southern politician and political philosopher from South Carolina during The Council of Three ( Polish Rada Trzech) was a collegial body created by the Polish Government in Exile in 1954 with Prerogatives of the World War II, or the Second World War, (often abbreviated WWII) was a global military conflict which involved a majority of the world's nations, including Francesco Petrarca ( July 20, 1304 – July 19, 1374) known in English as Petrarch, was an Italian scholar Google Inc is an American public corporation, earning revenue from advertising related to its Internet search, e-mail, online See Andromeda (disambiguation for other uses of "Andromeda" Controlled by 3 triumvirs, Tri-Jema, Tri-Lorn and Tri-Ortiz, who was replaced by her sister [etymologically absurd: a woman as 'man'], Tri-Camille
- Triumvirate of the Robotech Masters in fictional Robotech series. Robotech In the fictional Robotech universe the Robotech Masters are a Species of Humanoids who mostly appear Robotech is a Science fiction franchise that was launched by an 85-episode adaptation of three different Anime Television series.
- The Advocacy of the War of the Worlds TV series, three aliens who made up a triumvirate to guide and counsel the lower classes. War of the Worlds is a Television program that ran for two seasons from 1988 to 1990
- In the television series The Pretender, a shadowy council, called the Triumvirate, headquartered in Africa, were apparently the powers that be of the mysterious Centre and were concerned about a prophecy involving Jarod. The Pretender is an American television series that aired on NBC for four seasons between 1996 and 2000 In idiomatic English, " The powers that be " ( TPTB) is a phrase used to refer to those individuals or groups who collectively hold authority The Pretender is an American television series that aired on NBC for four seasons between 1996 and 2000
- In the DC Universe, specifically in the series of Etrigan the Demon, the Triumvirate rule Hell. The DC Universe ( DCU) is the fictional Shared universe where most of the comic stories published by DC Comics take place The Demon is a DC Comics Superhero series created by prolific Comic book writer-artist Jack Kirby. Hell, according to many Religious beliefs, is a location in the Afterlife, which may be described as a place of suffering
- In Orson Scott Card's Ender Series a triumvirate of the Strategos, the Polemarch, and the Hegemon are rulers to some extent. Orson Scott Card (born August 24, 1951) is a bestselling American Author, Critic, political writer and speaker.
- In Alastair Reynolds's Revelation Space series the lighthugger Nostalgia for Infinity is commanded by a Triumvirate of Ultranauts in lieu of the ship's incapacitated Captain. Alastair Preston Reynolds (born in 1966 in Barry, Wales) is a Welsh Science fiction author. Revelation Space is a 2000 Hard science fiction Space opera Novel by Welsh author Alastair Reynolds. This is a list of Fictional factions in in Revelation Space. The human factions are found in the Revelation Space universe
- In the Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter Series by Laurell K. Hamilton, Anita Blake forms a triumvirate between herself (a necromancer/animator), Jean-Claude (a master vampire) and Richard (a werewolf). Anita Blake is a Fictional character in the Anita Blake Vampire Hunter series of novels by Laurell K Laurell Kaye Hamilton (born February 19, 1963) is an American Fantasy / Romance writer author of the series Anita Blake Vampire There are three other triumvirates in the series. One in The Killing Dance consisting of Sabin, Cassandra and Dominic and the other in Burnt Offerings consisting of Padma, Thomas and Gideon. Anita also forms a triumvirate with Nathaniel and Damian.
- In the video game Onimusha: Dawn of Dreams, the three Genma (demon) leaders, Claudius the Chancellor, Rosencrantz the Scientist and Ophelia the Priestess formed what was known as the Triumvirate. Onimusha Dawn Of Dreams, released in Japan as, is the fourth Throughout the game they worked together to resurrect the Genma God of Light, Fortinbras.
- In The Star Wars Expanded Universe, there have been several notable Triumvirates, including the Sith Triumvirate of Darths Traya, Nihilus, and Sion, and the Imperial Triumvirate of Moff Disra, Major Tierce, and Flim. The Star Wars Expanded Universe encompasses all of the officially licensed fictional background of the Star Wars universe outside of the six feature films The Sith are a group of fictional characters in the Star Wars universe.
- In Captain Scarlet and the Mysterons, the episode Codename Europa features the Triumvirate of Europe. Captain Scarlet and the Mysterons, often referred to as simply Captain Scarlet, is a Science fiction Television series produced " Codename Europa " is the 27th Episode of the Supermarionation Television series Captain Scarlet and the Mysterons.
- In the video game Tomb Raider and Tomb Raider: Anniversary Natla, Qualopec and Tihocan form the trumvirate of the Atlantis. Tomb Raider is a Video game developed by Core Design and published by Eidos Interactive.
- In Neil Gaiman's The Sandman series of graphic novels hell is ruled by a triumvirate of Lucifer, Beelzebub, and Azazel (although this appears to be a new occurrence as Dream seems shocked when he is informed of this. Neil Richard Gaiman (ˈgeɪmən (born November 10, 1960) is an English author of Science fiction and Fantasy short stories and The Sandman is a Comic book series written by Neil Gaiman and published in the United States by the DC Comics imprint Vertigo Lucifer is a name frequently given to Satan in Christian belief Ba‘al Zebûb, Ba‘al Zəbûb or Ba‘al Zəvûv ( Hebrew בעל זבוב, with numerous variants appears as the Azazel ( Aramaic: רמשנאל Hebrew: עזאזל Aze'ezel Arabic: عزازل Azazil) is an enigmatic name from the Hebrew scriptures Dream is the fictional Protagonist of DC Comics ' Vertigo Comic book series The Sandman, written by Neil )
- In the Halo novel series and video games, the Prophets of Truth, Mercy and Regret (ruling heads of the Covenant) are considered a triumvirate. HaLo ( Ayako Hirakata) is a Japanese J-Pop Musician. Hirakata can be heard on Lori Carson 's The Finest Thing. The Covenant is a fictional Militaristic and theocratic alliance of alien races who serve as one of the main antagonistic forces of the Halo
Sources and references
External links The Constitution of the Roman Republic or Mos maiorum (Latin for "customs of the ancestors" was an unwritten set of guidelines and principles A duumvirate is an alliance between two equally powerful political or military leaders Decemviri (singular decemvir) is a Latin term meaning "Ten Men" which designates any such commission in the Roman Republic (cf© 2009 citizendia.org; parts available under the terms of GNU Free Documentation License, from http://en.wikipedia.org
network: | |