Silicon-tipped locking tongs designed to withstand temperatures up to 500 degrees fahrenheit
Long handled locking tongs designed for outdoor grilling
This article is about the tool. For the device used to cook see Grill (cooking, for other uses see Grill.
For the secret society, see Tong (organization)
. In the United States, a tong (堂 Cantonese Yale: tong4 Pinyin: táng literal hall is the term used for a type of Secret society found
Tongs are gripping and lifting tools, of which there are many forms adapted to their specific use. A broader definition of a tool is an entity used to interface between two or more domains that facilitates more effective action of one domain upon the other Some are merely large pincers or nippers, but the greatest number fall into three classes:
- Tongs which have long arms terminating in small flat circular ends of tongs and are pivoted close to the handle, as in the common fire-tongs, used for picking up pieces of coal and placing them on a fire. A pincer is a device with a pair of levers that act to concentrate force on a point A nipper or tile nipper (like a pair of Scissors or Pliers) is a Tool used to "nip" or remove small amounts of a hard material such In Anatomy, an arm is one of the Upper limbs of an animal The term arm can also be used for analogous structures such as one of the paired upper limbs Friction is the Force resisting the relative motion of two Surfaces in contact or a surface in contact with a fluid (e A handle is a part of or attachment to an object that can be moved or used by hand Fire is the heat and light energy released during a Chemical reaction, in particular a combustion reaction.
- Tongs consisting of a single band of metal bent round one or two bands joined at the head by a spring, as in sugar-tongs, asparagus-tongs, and the like. The M acro E xpansion T emplate A ttribute L anguage complements TAL, providing macros which allow the reuse of code across A spring is a flexible elastic object used to store mechanical Energy. Sugar is a class of edible Crystalline substances mainly Sucrose, Lactose, and Fructose. Asparagus officinalis is a flowering plant species in the genus Asparagus from which the Vegetable known as asparagus is obtained
- Tongs in which the pivot or joint is placed close to the gripping ends, such as blacksmith's tongs or crucible-tongs. A joint is the location at which two or more Bones make contact blacksmith is a person who creates objects from Iron or Steel by Forging the Metal; i A crucible is a cup-shaped piece of laboratory object Laboratory equipment used to contain Chemical compounds when heating them to very high Temperatures
The tongs are the most-used cooking utensil when grilling, as they provide a way to move, rotate and turn the food with delicate precision. This is a list of food preparation utensils some of what is known as Kitchenware. For the device used to cook see Grill (cooking, for other uses see Grill.
A special form of tongs, known as "lazy-tongs," consists of a pair of grippers at the end of a series of levers pivoted together like scissors, the whole being closed or extended by the movement of the handles communicated to the first set of levers and thence to the grippers, the whole forming an extensible pair of tongs for gripping and lifting things at a distance. Scissors are hand operated cutting instruments consisting of a pair of Metal Blades connected in such a way that the blades meet and cut materials placed In Physics, motion means a constant change in the location of a body Distance is a numerical description of how far apart objects are
Tongs also have a special place in matters of theology. Theology is the study of a god or the gods from a religious perspective An opinion cited in Pirke Avot (Ethics of the Fathers), a Talmudic tractate, states that God created "the original tongs, for tongs must be made with tongs. Pirkei Avot / Ovos (Ethics of the Fathers פרקי אבות is a tractate of the Mishna composed of ethical maxims of the Rabbis of the Mishnaic period " Jewish thinkers therefore have used tongs as proof to God's existence.
WikiProject Metalworking: This article is part of Metalworking hand tools. This is a list of food preparation utensils some of what is known as Kitchenware. Forceps are a handheld hinged instrument used for grasping and holding objects Tweezers are tools used for picking up small objects that are not easily handled with the Human Hands They are probably derived from Tongs, Pincers Pirkei Avot / Ovos (Ethics of the Fathers פרקי אבות is a tractate of the Mishna composed of ethical maxims of the Rabbis of the Mishnaic period Metalworking is craft and practice of working with Metals to create individual parts assemblies or large scale structures
© 2009 citizendia.org; parts available under the terms of GNU Free Documentation License, from http://en.wikipedia.org
- An instrument or tool used for picking things up without touching them with the hands or fingers, consisting of two slats or grips hinged at the end or in the middle, and sometimes including a spring to open the grips.
- A large scissors-like two-piece center-hinged forged-iron implement with oval-loop handles and with pointed tips turned inward (in the same plane as and perpendicular to the handles) to facilitate lifting and carrying a block of ice. Often called ice tongs.
- Third-person singular simple present indicative form of tong.
network: | |