Tobacco packaging warning messages are health warning messages that appear on the packaging of cigarettes and other tobacco products. Health is a state of complete physical mental and social well-being and not merely the absence of disease or infirmity Packaging is the science art and technology of enclosing or protecting products for distribution storage sale and use A cigarette ( French "small Cigar " from cigar + -ette) is a product consumed through Smoking and manufactured Tobacco is an Agricultural product recognized as an addictive drug processed from the fresh Leaves of plants in the genus Nicotiana. They have been implemented in an effort to enhance the public's knowledge about the dangers of smoking. Tobacco Smoking is the inhalation of smoke from burned dried or cured leaves of the Tobacco plant most often in the form of a Cigarette. In general, warnings used in different countries try to emphasize the same messages. Warnings for some countries are listed below. Such warnings have been commonplace in tobacco advertising for many years. Tobacco advertising is the promotion of Tobacco use (typically Cigarette smoking) by the Tobacco industry through a variety of
General warning: El fumar es perjudicial para la salud - Smoking is detrimental to health
Graphic images on cigarette packets in Australia, introduced in March 2006.
In early 2006 a new initiative was introduced, with graphic images depicting the effects of smoking * cigarettes to be displayed on cigarette packets. As of March 1, warnings must cover 30% of the front and 90% of the back of the box. Events 86 BC - Lucius Cornelius Sulla, at the head of a Roman Republic army enters in Athens, removing the Tyrant  The 10% of the back not occupied by a warning is used by the message "Sale to underage persons prohibited".
For cigarette packets, warnings include:
- Smoking causes peripheral vascular disease
- Smoking causes emphysema
- Smoking causes mouth and throat cancer
- Smoking clogs your arteries
- Don't let children breath your smoke
- Smoking - A leading cause of death
- Quitting will improve your health
- Smoking harms unborn babies
- Smoking causes blindness
- Smoking causes lung cancer
- Smoking causes heart disease
- Smoking doubles your risk of stroke
- Smoking is addictive
- Tobacco smoke is toxic
With each warning is an accompanying graphic, and detailed information on the back of the packet. In addition, cigar and loose tobacco packets show other, slightly altered warnings. These warnings target the misconception that alternative, non-cigarette tobacco products are less harmful.
Australian cigarette packaging laws also prohibit the use of terms such as 'light', 'mild', 'extra mild', etc. This is to counteract the impression that certain tobacco mixtures are less damaging to health than others. To the same effect, while the carbon monoxide, nicotine and tar content of particular brands of cigarettes used to be mandated, the display and/or advertisement these figures is now prohibited under the government's "All Cigarettes are Toxic" campaign.
In Azerbaijan, cigarette packages carry a small notice: "Ministry of Health warns: Smoking is dangerous for your health", but this is usually printed in light and small fonts, and the first part of the message is not always visible.
Some of the graphic images on cigarette packs in Brazil, used from 2003 until 2008.
Brazil was the second country in the world to adopt mandatory warning images in cigarette packages.  Warnings and graphic images illustrating the risks of smoking occupy 100% of the back of cigarettes boxes since 2001. In 2008, the government elected a third batch of images, aimed at younger smokers. 
Since 2003, the sentence "Este produto contém mais de 4,7 mil substâncias tóxicas, e nicotina que causa dependência física ou psíquica. Não existem níveis seguros para consumo dessas substâncias" (This products contains over 4. 7 thousand toxic substances, and nicotine, which causes physical or psychiatric addiction. There are no safe levels for the intake of these substances. ) is displayed in all packs.
In addition to the above sentence, the message O Ministério da Saúde adverte: . . . (The Health Ministry warns: . . . ), followed by one of the many known risks of smoking, is shown on one of the sides. The same introduction, followed by a warning, was spoken after TV commercial advertisements; and even now that cigarette ads are no longer allowed, it retains great popularity and is used in a number of different contexts, health-related or not.
A Canadian Number 7 cigarette package showing warning graphics
The Canadian Tobacco Act requires warnings to be printed on all tobacco products sold in Canada. The current set of 15 warnings was introduced in 2000, replacing older versions from 1994. A Health Canada warning is printed randomly on all tobacco product packaging, and is required to take up at least 50% of the visible surface. Health Canada ( French: Santé Canada) is the department of the government of Canada with responsibility for national Public health Imported cigarettes to be sold in Canada which do not have the warnings are affixed with sticker versions.
Each warning is printed along with a short explanation and is accompanied by a picture illustrating that particular warning, for example:
CIGARETTES CAUSE LUNG CANCER
85% of lung cancers are caused by smoking.
80% of lung cancer victims die within three years.
accompanied by a picture of a human lung detailing cancerous growths.
Additionally, on the inside of the packaging or, for some packets, on a pull-out card, "health information messages" provide answers and explanations regarding common questions and concerns about quitting smoking and smoking-related illnesses. On the packaging (usually on the narrow side of a packet), a table details the approximate amount of toxic substances found in that particular brand of cigarette, for example (from B&H Belmont Milds brand):
"Toxic emissions / unit: Tar 11 - 26 mg, Nicotine 1. Benson & Hedges is a British brand of Cigarettes owned by the Gallaher Group. Tar is a viscous black Liquid derived from the Destructive distillation of organic matter Nicotine is an Alkaloid found in the Nightshade family of plants ( Solanaceae) which constitutes approximately 0 0 - 2. 4 mg,
Carbon monoxide 14 - 28 mg, Formaldehyde 0. Carbon monoxide, with the chemical formula CO is a colorless odorless tasteless yet highly toxic Gas. Formaldehyde is a Chemical compound with the formula H2CO It is the simplest Aldehyde —an organic compound containing a terminal Carbonyl 057 mg - 0. 14 mg,
Hydrogen cyanide 0. Hydrogen cyanide is a Chemical compound with Chemical formula HCN 10 - 0. 22 mg, Benzene 0. Benzene, or benzol, is an organic Chemical compound and a known Carcinogen with the molecular formula C 6 H 6 028 - 0. 067 mg"
In accordance with Canadian law regarding products sold in Canada, the warnings are provided in both English and French.
Health Canada is also considering laws mandating plain packaging, in which tobacco product packaging would be black and white and labelled solely with simple unadorned text, as well as outlawing descriptive terms such as "Light" and "Mild", which Health Canada argue are deceptive to consumers and encourage them to falsely believe that these brands of cigarettes are less likely to cause illness or addiction.
Further information on tobacco product labeling in Canada at Health Canada's website.
Cigarette packets and other tobacco packaging must include warnings in the same size and format and using the same approved texts (in the appropriate local languages) in all member states of the European Union. The European Union ( EU) is a political and economic union of twenty-seven member states, located primarily in
These warnings are displayed in black Helvetica bold on a white background with a thick black border. Helvetica is the name of a widely used Sans-serif Typeface developed in 1957 by Swiss Typeface designer Max Miedinger. Ireland prefaces its warnings with "Irish Government Warning", and Latvia with "Veselības ministrija brīdina" (Health Ministry Warning). In member states with more than one official language, the warnings are displayed in all languages, with the sizes adjusted accordingly (for example in Belgium the messages are written in Dutch, French and German and in Luxembourg in French and German). The Kingdom of Belgium is a Country in northwest Europe. It is a founding member of the European Union and hosts its headquarters as well as those Luxembourg (Groussherzogtum Lëtzebuerg Grand-Duché de Luxembourg Großherzogtum Luxemburg is a small Landlocked country in Western Europe, bordered by All cigarette packets sold in the European Union must display the content of nicotine, tar, and carbon monoxide in the same manner on the side of the packet. Nicotine is an Alkaloid found in the Nightshade family of plants ( Solanaceae) which constitutes approximately 0 Tar is a viscous black Liquid derived from the Destructive distillation of organic matter Carbon monoxide, with the chemical formula CO is a colorless odorless tasteless yet highly toxic Gas.
In 2003, it was reported that sales of cigarette cases had surged, attributable to the introduction of more prominent warning labels on cigarette packs by an EU directive in January 2003. A cigarette case or cigarette box is a sturdy most commonly metal container to store small amounts of Cigarettes safely from crushing A pack of Cigarettes is a rectangular container, mostly of Paperboard, which contains cigarettes Alternatively, people choose to hide the warnings using various funny stickers, such as "You could be hit by a bus tomorrow".
Austria and Germany
Carton of German cigarettes, complete with large warning
Cigarette packets in Germany
. Germany, officially the Federal Republic of Germany ( ˈbʊndəsʁepuˌbliːk ˈdɔʏtʃlant is a Country in Central Europe.
- General warnings:
- Rauchen ist tödlich - Smoking is lethal.
- Rauchen kann tödlich sein - Smoking can be lethal.
- Rauchen fügt Ihnen und den Menschen in Ihrer Umgebung erheblichen Schaden zu. - Smoking severely harms you and the people around you.
- Additional warnings:
- Raucher sterben früher - Smokers die sooner.
- Rauchen führt zur Verstopfung der Arterien und verursacht Herzinfarkte und Schlaganfälle. - Smoking leads to clogging of arteries and causes heart attacks and strokes.
- Rauchen verursacht tödlichen Lungenkrebs. - Smoking causes lethal lung cancer.
- Rauchen in der Schwangerschaft schadet Ihrem Kind - Smoking while pregnant harms your child.
- Schützen Sie Kinder — lassen Sie sie nicht Ihren Tabakrauch einatmen! - Protect children - don't let them breathe your tobacco smoke!
- Ihr Arzt oder Apotheker kann Ihnen dabei helfen, das Rauchen aufzugeben. - Your doctor or pharmacist can help you to give up smoking.
- Rauchen macht sehr schnell abhängig: Fangen Sie gar nicht erst an! - Smoking is very quickly addictive: Don't start in the first place!
- Wer das Rauchen aufgibt, verringert das Risiko tödlicher Herz- und Lungenerkrankungen - Giving up smoking reduces the risk of fatal heart and lung diseases.
- Rauchen kann zu einem langsamen und schmerzhaften Tod führen - Smoking can lead to a slow and painful death.
- Rauchen kann zu Durchblutungsstörungen führen und verursacht Impotenz - Smoking can lead to blood circulation disorders and causes impotence.
- Rauchen lässt Ihre Haut altern - Smoking makes your skin age.
- Rauchen kann die Spermatozoen schädigen und schränkt die Fruchtbarkeit ein - Smoking can damage spermatozoa and decreases your fertility.
- Rauch enthält Benzol, Nitrosamine, Formaldehyd und Blausäure - Smoke contains benzene, nitrosamine, formaldehyde and hydrogen cyanide.
Warning on the French Cigarette Pack
- Front of packaging (covers 30% of surface)
- Rear of packaging (covers 40% of surface, similar design)
- Les fumeurs meurent prématurément. (Smokers die prematurely. )
- Fumer bouche les artères et provoque des crises cardiaques et des attaques cérébrales. (Smoking clogs arteries and causes heart attacks and strokes. )
- Fumer provoque le cancer mortel du poumon. (Smoking causes fatal lung cancer. )
- Fumer pendant la grossesse nuit à la santé de votre enfant. (Smoking during pregnancy harms your child's health. )
- Protégez les enfants : ne leur faites pas respirer votre fumée. (Protect your children: don't make them breathe your smoke. )
- Votre médecin ou votre pharmacien peuvent vous aider à arrêter de fumer. (Your doctor or pharmacist can help you quit smoking. )
- Fumer crée une forte dépendance, ne commencez pas. (Smoking is highly addictive, don't start. )
- Arrêter de fumer réduit les risques de maladies cardiaques et pulmonaires mortelles. (Quitting smoking reduces the risk of fatal heart and lung diseases. )
- Fumer peut entraîner une mort lente et douloureuse. (Smoking can result in a slow and painful death. )
- Faites-vous aider pour arrêter de fumer : téléphonez au 0 825 309 310 (0,15 euro/min) (Help yourself quit smoking: call 0 825 309 310)
- Fumer peut diminuer l'afflux sanguin et provoque l'impuissance. (Smoking can cause low blood pressure and impotence. )
- Fumer peut nuire aux spermatozoïdes et réduit la fertilité. (Smoking damages sperm and reduces fertility. )
- La fumée contient du benzène, des nitrosamines, du formaldéhyde et du cyanure d'hydrogène. (Cigarette smoke contains benzene, nitrosamines, formaldehyde and hydrogen cyanide. )
- Left or right side of packaging
- Components percentages (15% of surface, small prints): Tobacco - Cigarette paper - Flavor and texture agents
- Quantity of toxics in mg/cigarette (in prominent black on white square and bold letters): Tar - Nicotin - Carbon monoxide
- Other side of packaging
- Country of manufacturing, name of manufacturer, quantity
- Product identifier (EAN-7 bar code)
- Other characteristics
- Small print: "Vente en France 01" (sales in France)
- Recyclable logo (for the packaging)
- Words forbidden in the displayed product name: light, ultra-light, légere, or any indication that may indicate that this is a minor drug with low impact. . . (These branding words have been replaced by various color names)
Ireland currently follows EU standards (see above), but previously ran its own scheme, where one of 8 messages was placed on the pack, as defined in SI 326/1991. In Law, a Statutory Instrument is a form of delegated or Secondary legislation. 
Currently, the warnings are in English only, though from October 2008 they will made be bilingual, with both Irish and English to be displayed. English is a West Germanic language originating in England and is the First language for most people in the United Kingdom, the United States Irish (ga ''Gaeilge'' is a Goidelic language of the Indo-European language family originating in Ireland and historically spoken by the Irish. 
A Pack from Italy
- Il fumo uccide / Il fumo può uccidere. (Smoking kills / Smoking may kill)
- Il fumo danneggia gravemente te e chi ti sta intorno. (Smoking heavily damages you and whoever is near you)
- I fumatori muoiono prima. (Smokers die early. )
- Il fumo ostruisce le arterie e provoca infarti e ictus. (Smoking clogs arteries and causes heart diseases and strokes)
- Il fumo provoca cancro mortale ai polmoni. (Smoking causes fatal lung cancer. )
- Fumare in gravidanza fa male al bambino. (Smoking during pregnancy injures the baby. )
- Proteggi i bambini, non fumare in loro presenza. (Protect the kids, don't smoke in their presence. )
- Il medico o il tuo farmacista possono aiutarti a smettere di fumare. (Your doctor or your pharmacist may help you quit smoking. )
- Specialisti del settore medico possono aiutarti a smettere di fumare. (Specialists in the medical profession may help you quit smoking. )
- Il fumo crea un'elevata dipendenza, non iniziare. (Smoking is highly addictive, don't start. )
- Smettere di fumare riduce il rischio di malattie cardiovascolari e polmonari mortali. (Quitting smoking reduces the risk of deadly cardiovascular and lung diseases. )
- Il fumo può provocare una morte lenta e dolorosa. (Smoking can cause a long and painful death. )
- Il fumo provoca il cancro della cavità orale. (Smoking causes oral cancer. )
- Fatti aiutare a smettere di fumare. (Let us help you quit smoking. )
- Il fumo può ridurre la circolazione sanguigna e causa impotenza. (Smoking may reduce blood circulation and cause impotency. )
- Il fumo invecchia la pelle. (Smoking ages the skin. )
- Il fumo può danneggiare lo sperma e diminuisce la fertilità. (Smoking may damage sperm and diminish fertility. )
- Il fumo contiene benzene, nitrosammine, formaldeide e acido cianidrico. (Cigarettes contain benzene, nistrosamine, formaldehyde and hydrocyanic acid)
Other text is sometimes placed in the packets, for example some packets contain leaflets which have all the above warnings written on them, with more detailed explanations and reasons to give up, and advice from Philip Morris.
Latvian Warning Sign
- Smēķēšana nopietni apdraud Jūs un cilvēkus Jums blakus (Smoking seriously threatens You and the people near You)
- Smēķēšana nogalina (Smoking kills)
- Smēķēšana izraisa neārstējamu plaušu vēzi (Smoking causes incurable lung cancer)
- Atmest smēķēšanu Jums var palīdzet Jūsu ġimenes ārsts un farmaceits (Your family doctor and pharmacist may be able to help you quit smoking)
- Smēķētaji mirst jauni (Smokers die young)
- Sargiet bērnus: nelieciet viņiem elpot tabakas dūmus! (Save children: don't make them breathe tobacco smoke)
- Smēķēšana grūtniecības laikā kaitē Jūsu bērnam (Smoking during the pregnancy harms your child)
- Smēķēšana izraisa artēriju nosprostošanos un rada sirdslēkmes un insultu (Smoking causes clots in arteries and results in hear attacks and strokes)
- Twissija mid-Dipartiment tas-Saħħa: PERIKLU - (DANGER - Health Department - Warning)
- It-tipjip joqtol - (Smoking kills)
- Min ipejjep imut żgħir - (Smokers die younger)
- It-tipjip isodd l-arterji u jġib l-attakki tal-qalb u l-puplesiji - (Smoking clogs the arteries and causes heart attacks and strokes)
- It-tipjip jagħmel kanċer fil-pulmun - (Smoking causes fatal lung cancers)
- Jekk tpejjep waqt it-tqala tagħmel ħsara lit-tarbija tiegħek - (Smoking when pregnant harms your baby)
- Ipproteġi lit-tfal: iġġelhomx jibilgħu d-duħħan tas-sigaretti tiegħek - (Protect children: don't make them breathe your smoke)
- It-tabib jew l-ispiżjar jgħinuk biex tieqaf tpejjep - (Your doctor and your pharmacist can help you stop smoking)
- It-tipjip huwa vizzju, tibdiex tpejjep - (Smoking is highly addictive, don't start)
- Jekk tieqaf tpejjep tnaqas ir-riskju ta' attakki tal-qalb u mard tal-pulmun - (Stopping smoking reduces the risk of fatal heart and lung disaeses)
- It-tipjip jista' jwassal għal agunija fit-tul u ħafna uġiegħ - (Smoking can cause a slow and painful death)
- Itlob l-għajnuna biex tieqaf tpejjep - 21231247 - (Get help to stop smoking - 21231247)
- It-tipjip inaqqas iċ-ċirkulazzjoni tad-demm u jista' jwassal għall-impotenza - (Smoking may reduce the blood flow and causes impotence)
- It-tipjip ixejjħek - (Smoking causes aging of the skin)
- It-tipjip jista' jagħmel ħsara lill-isperma u jnaqqas il-fertilità - (Smoking can damage the sperm and decrease fertility)
- Id-duħħan fih il-benżene, in-nitrosamini, il-formaldehyde, u l-idroġen cyanide - (Smokes contains benzene, nitrosamines, formaldehyde and hydrogen cyanide)
The Netherlands warning message and the government's information on the back of the pack.
- Roken is dodelijk (Smoking is deadly)
- Roken veroorzaakt impotentie (Smoking causes impotence. )
- Roken veroorzaakt dodelijke longkanker (Smoking causes lung cancer)
- Tabaksrook bevat benzeen, nitrosaminen, formaldehyde en waterstofcyanide (Tobacco smoke contains benzene, nitrosamines, formaldehyde and hydrogencyanide )
- Uw arts of apotheker kan u helpen te stoppen met roken (Your physician or pharmacist can help you to quit smoking)
- Rokers sterven jonger (Smokers die younger)
- Roken veroorzaakt verstopping van de bloedvaten, hartaanvallen en beroertes (Smoking causes clogging of the blood vessels, heart attacks and strokes)
- Roken tijdens de zwangerschap is slecht voor uw baby (Smoking during pregnancy harms your baby)
- Bescherm kinderen: laat hen niet uw rook inademen (Protect children: don't let them breath your smoke)
- Roken werkt zeer verslavend; begin er niet mee (Smoking is very addictive; don't start with it)
- Stoppen met roken vermindert het risico op dodelijke hart- en longziekten (Quitting smoking reduces the risk of fatal heart- and lung diseases)
- Roken kan leiden tot een langzame, pijnlijke dood (Smoking can lead to a slow, painful death)
- Roken veroudert uw huid (Smoking ages your skin)
- Roken kan het sperma beschadigen en vermindert de vruchtbaarheid (Smoking can damage the sperm and reduces the fertility)
- Roken brengt u en anderen rondom u ernstige schade toe (Smoking causes damage to you and those around you)
- Rökning dödar (Smoking kills)
- Tobak skadar din hälsa allvarligt (Tobacco causes serious harm to your health)
- Rökning under graviditet kan skada ditt foster (Smoking while pregnant may harm your fetus)
- Rökning kan leda till en långsam och smärtsam död (Smoking can lead to a slow and painful death)
Cigarette pack in the United Kingdom
. The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, commonly known as the United Kingdom, the UK or Britain,is a Sovereign state located
One of the following general warnings must be displayed, covering at least 30% of the surface of the pack:
- Smoking kills
- Smoking seriously harms you and others around you
Additionally, one of the following additional warnings must be displayed, covering at least 40% of the surface of the pack:
- Smokers die younger
- Smoking clogs the arteries and causes heart attacks and strokes
- Smoking causes fatal lung cancer
- Smoking when pregnant harms your baby
- Protect children: don't make them breathe your smoke
- Your doctor or your pharmacist can help you stop smoking
- Smoking is highly addictive, don't start
- Stopping smoking reduces the risk of fatal heart and lung diseases
- Smoking can cause a slow and painful death
- Get help to stop smoking: telephone/postal address/internet address/consult your doctor/pharmacist
- Smoking may reduce the blood flow and cause impotence
- Smoking causes ageing of the skin
- Smoking can damage the sperm and decreases fertility
- Smoke contains benzene, nitrosamines, formaldehyde and hydrogen cyanide. Arteries are Blood vessels that carry blood away from the Heart. Myocardial infarction ( MI or AMI for acute myocardial infarction) also known as a heart attack, occurs when the blood supply Lung cancer is a Disease of uncontrolled Cell growth in tissues of the Lung. Pregnancy ( Latin graviditas) is the carrying of one or more offspring known as a Fetus or Embryo, inside the Uterus of a Female A physician, medical practitioner or medical doctor who practices Medicine, and is concerned with maintaining or restoring human Health Pharmacists are Health professionals who practice the art and science of Pharmacy. The term " addiction " is used in many contexts to describe an obsession compulsion or excessive Physical dependence or psychological dependence such as Fertility is the natural capability of giving life As a measure "Fertility Rate" is the number of children born per couple person or population Benzene, or benzol, is an organic Chemical compound and a known Carcinogen with the molecular formula C 6 H 6 Nitrosamines are Chemical compounds of the Chemical structure R1N(-R2-N=O some of which are carcinogenic. Formaldehyde is a Chemical compound with the formula H2CO It is the simplest Aldehyde —an organic compound containing a terminal Carbonyl Hydrogen cyanide is a Chemical compound with Chemical formula HCN
The first written warnings on packets in Britain appeared in 2003, and shocking warning pictures are set to appear on British packets in 2008 alongside the written messages, revealed Alan Johnson, Secretary of Health in August 2007. Alan Arthur Johnson (born 17 May 1950 is a British Labour Party Politician and the Secretary of State for Health. 
Warning on HKSAR cigarette packages
Under HK Laws. Hong Kong ( officially the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region, is a territory located on China 's south coast on the Pearl River Delta, and borders Chap 371B Smoking (Public Health) (Notices) Order
Packaging must indicate the amount of nicotine and tar that is present in cigarette boxes in addition to graphics depicting different health problems caused by smoking in the size and ratio as prescribed by law. Nicotine is an Alkaloid found in the Nightshade family of plants ( Solanaceae) which constitutes approximately 0 Tar is a viscous black Liquid derived from the Destructive distillation of organic matter The warnings are to be published in both official languages, Traditional Chinese and English.
Warning begins with the phrase 'HKSAR GOVERNMENT WARNING' and then one of the following in all caps.
- Smoking causes lung cancer
- Smoking kills
- Smoking harms your family
- Smoking causes Peripheral Vascular Diseases
- Smoking may cause impotence
- Smoking can accelerate aging of skin
In addition, any print advertisement must give minimum 20% coverage of the following warnings: HKSAR GOVERNMENT HEALTH WARNING
- January -February SMOKING KILLS
- March- April SMOKING CAUSES CANCER
- May- June SMOKING CAUSES HEART DISEASE
- July- August SMOKING CAUSES LUNG CANCER
- September- October SMOKING CAUSES RESPIRATORY DISEASES
- November - December SMOKING HARMS YOUR CHILDREN
As in the European Union all cigarette packets and other tobacco packaging must include warnings in the same size and format and using the same approved texts in Icelandic. Iceland, officially the Republic of Iceland ( ( Ísland or Lýðveldið Ísland ( The European Union ( EU) is a political and economic union of twenty-seven member states, located primarily in Icelandic ( is a North Germanic language, the language of Iceland.
- Reykingar drepa (Smoking kills)
- Læknirinn þinn eða lyfjafræðingur geta hjálpað þér að hætta að reykja. (Your doctor or pharmacist can help you quit smoking)
- Reykingar valda krabbameini. (Smoking causes cancer)
- Reykingar eru mjög skaðlegar fyrir þig og þá sem eru nálægt þér. (Smoking is very harmful to you and those close to you)
- Reykingar stífla slagæðar og valda kransæðastíflu og heilablóðfalli. (Smoking blocks your arteries and causes coronary artery disease and stroke. )
- Reykingar valda banvænu krabbameini í lungum. (Smoking causes fatal lung cancer)
- Reykingar á meðgöngu skaða barnið þitt. (Smoking during pregnancy harms your child. )
- Verndaðu börnin - Láttu þau ekki anda að sér tókbaksreyk. (Protect the children - Don't let them inhale tobacco smoke. )
Cigarette packets sold in India are required to carry pictorial warnings along with the text SMOKING IS INJURIOUS TO YOUR HEALTH and SMOKING CAUSES CANCER in both Hindi and English. Hindi ( Devanāgarī: hi [[wiktहिन्दी हिन्दी]] or hi [[wiktहिंदी हिंदी]] IAST:, IPA:) is English is a West Germanic language originating in England and is the First language for most people in the United Kingdom, the United States The sale of tobacco products in the vicinity of educational institutions is prohibited, as is the smoking of cigarettes in public places.
MEROKOK DAPAT MENYEBABKAN KANKER, SERANGAN JANTUNG, IMPOTENSI DAN GANGGUAN KEHAMILAN DAN JANIN. (Smoking can cause cancer, heart attack, impotency and problems during pregnancy as well as affects the health of the newborn. )
Text is written all in capital letters, surrounded by bold border.
- AMARAN OLEH KERAJAAN MALAYSIA, MEROKOK MEMBAHAYAKAN KESIHATAN (Warning by the government of Malaysia, Smoking endangers health)
The first health warnings appeared on cigarette packets in New Zealand in 1974. Gruesome photographs are also be required to appear on each packet by law as of 2008.
Cigarette packs are required to carry a health warning to the effect "Cigarrete smoking is injurious to your health - Ministry of Health, Government of Pakistan".
A warning message on a Portuguese pack of Lucky Strike
- Fumar mata. (Smoking kills)
- Fumar provoca o cancro pulmonar mortal. (Smoking causes deadly lung cancer)
- Fumar causa elevada dependência. Não comece a fumar. (Smoking causes high dependency. Don't start smoking. )
- Fumar provoca o envelhecimento da pele. (Smoking causes premature skin aging)
- Fumar prejudica gravemente a sua saúde e a dos que o rodeiam. (Smoking greatly harms your health, and the health of those around you)
- Se está grávida: fumar prejudica a saúde do seu filho. (If you're pregnant: Smoking harms your child's health)
- Os fumadores morrem prematuramente. (Smokers die prematurely)
- Fumar bloqueia as artérias e provoca ataques cardíacos e enfartes. (Smoking blocks your arteries and causes heart attacks and strokes)
- Fumar pode reduzir o fluxo de sangue e provoca impotência. (Smoking might reduce the blood flow and causes impotence)
- Deixar de fumar reduz os riscos de doenças cardiovasculares e pulmonares mortais. (Ceasing to smoke reduces the risks of deadly cardiovascular and pulmonar diseases)
- Минздравсоцразвития России предупреждает: курение вредит Вашему здоровью (The Russian Ministry of Public Health and Social Development warns: smoking is harmful to your health. )
- Курение — причина раковых заболеваний (Smoking causes cancer. )
- Курение — причина смертельных заболеваний (Smoking causes fatal diseases. )
- Оградите детей от табачного дыма (Keep children away from tobacco smoke. )
- Курение табака вызывает никотиновую зависимость (Smoking tobacco causes nicotine dependence. )
- Курение — причина заболеваний сердца (Smoking causes heart diseases. )
"Smoking causes mouth diseases" warning on a empty pack of Marlboro Menthol
For cigarettes exported to Singapore, cigarette manufacturers are required by law to print any one of the warnings below plus the quitline on the packet:
- Smoking causes mouth diseases
- Smoking can cause a slow and painful death
- Smoking causes lung cancer
- Smoking causes gangrene
- Smoking causes neck cancer
- Smoking harms your family
Switzerland has four official languages, but only has warning messages in three languages. Singapore Switzerland (English pronunciation; Schweiz Swiss German: Schwyz or Schwiiz Suisse Svizzera Svizra officially the Swiss Confederation The fourth language, Romansh, is only spoken by 0. Romansh or Romansch may refer to Romansh language Romansh people 5% of the population, and those persons typically speak either German or Italian. The German language (de ''Deutsch'') is a West Germanic language and one of the world's major languages. Italian ( or lingua italiana) is a Romance language spoken by about 63 million people as a First language, primarily in Italy. The three warning messages below are posted on cigarette packets, cartons and advertisements such as outdoor billboard posters. A pack of Cigarettes is a rectangular container, mostly of Paperboard, which contains cigarettes
- (French) Nuit gravement à la santé. (Seriously damages health. )
- (German) Rauchen gefährdet die Gesundheit. (Smoking endangers health. )
- (Italian) Fumare mette in pericolo la salute. (Smoking endangers health. )
South Korean Cigarette Pack with Health Warning Message
- From 1976 to 1989 건강을 위하여 지나친 흡연을 삼갑시다 (For your health, please refrain from smoking too much)
- From December 1989 to 1996 흡연은 폐암 등을 일으킬 수 있으며, 특히 임산부와 청소년의 건강에 해롭습니다 (Smoking may cause lung cancer and it is especially dangerous for teenagers and pregnant women)
- From 1996 to March 2005 Front 흡연은 폐암 등 각종 질병의 원인이 되며, 특히 임신부와 청소년의 건강에 해롭습니다 (Smoking causes lung cancer and other dieseases and it is especially dangerous for teenagers and pregnant women) Back 19세 미만 청소년에게 판매할 수 없습니다 (It is illegal to sell cigarettes to people under 19) and additionally, 금연하면 건강해지고 장수할 수 있습니다 (You can be healthy and live longer if you quit), 흡연은 중풍과 심장병도 일으킵니다 (Smoking also causes paralysis and heart dieseases), 흡연은 사랑하는 자녀의 건강도 해칩니다 (Smoking also damages your beloved children), 당신이 흡연하면 다른 사람의 건강도 해칩니다 (Smoking damages others)
- From April 2005 to April 2007 Front 건강을 해치는 담배 그래도 피우시겠습니까? (Smoking damages your health. Do you still want to smoke?) Back 19세 미만 청소년에게 판매할 수 없습니다 (It is illegal to sell cigarettes to people under 19) and additionally, 금연하면 건강해지고 장수할 수 있습니다 (You can be healthy and live longer if you quit), 흡연은 중풍과 심장병도 일으킵니다 (Smoking also causes paralysis and heart diseases), 흡연은 사랑하는 자녀의 건강도 해칩니다 (Smoking also damages your beloved children), 당신이 흡연하면 다른 사람의 건강도 해칩니다 (Smoking damages others)
- From April 2007 to April 2009 Front 흡연은 폐암 등 각종 질병의 원인이 되며, 특히 임신부와 청소년의 건강에 해롭습니다 (Smoking causes lung cancer and other dieseases and it is especially dangerous for teenagers and pregnant women) Back 19세 미만 청소년에게 판매 금지! 당신 자녀의 건강을 해칩니다" (It is illegal to sell cigarettes to people under 19! It hurts your children's health)
- From April 2009 to April 2011 (a prospectus) Front 건강에 해로운 담배, 일단 흡연하게 되면 끊기가 매우 어렵습니다 (Smoking damages your health. Once you start smoking, it is very difficult to quit) Back 19세 미만 청소년에게 판매 금지! 당신 자녀의 건강을 해칩니다 (It is illegal to sell cigarettes to people under 19! It hurts your children's health)
- From March 2007, various graphic warnings will be printed on all cigarette packages.
The warnings in Taiwan all start with the phrase "Warning from the Department of Health, Executive Yuan:" (行政院衛生署警告), and followed by one of the warnings below:
- 吸菸有害健康 (Smoking is hazardous to your health)
- 孕婦吸菸易導致胎兒早產及體重不足 (Smoking during pregnancy can cause premature death and underweight birth)
- 抽菸會導致肺癌﹑心臟病﹑氣腫及與懷孕有關的問題 (Smoking can cause lung cancer, heart diseases, emphysema and pregnancy-related problems)
- 吸菸害人害己 (Smoking hurts yourself, and hurts others)
- 懷孕婦女吸菸可能傷害胎兒，導致早產及體重不足 (Smoking during pregnancy might damage the fetus, and can cause premature death and underweight birth)
- 戒菸可減少健康的危害 (Quitting smoking can reduce health risk) - no longer used
In Thailand, a variety of warnings with graphic, disturbing images of tobacco-related harms (including a tracheotomy and rotting teeth) are placed prominently on cigarette packages. Taiwan ( Taiwanese: Tâi-oân/Tāi-oân (historically 大灣/台員/大員/台圓/大圓/台窩灣 is an Island in East Asia. A recent study showed that the warnings made Thai smokers think more often about the health risks of smoking and about quitting smoking. 
Cigarette pack in Turkey
. Turkey (Türkiye known officially as the Republic of Turkey ( is a Eurasian Country that stretches
- Sigara içmek öldürür. (Smoking kills)
- Sigara içenler genç yaşta ölür. (Smokers die younger)
- Sigara içmek damarları tıkar, kalp krizine ve felçlere neden olur. (Smoking clogs the arteries and causes heart attacks and paralysis. )
- Sigara içmek ölümcül akciğer kanserine neden olur. (Smoking causes lethal lung cancer)
- Hamile iken sigara içmek bebeğe zarar verir. (Smoking while pregnant will harm the baby)
- Çocukları koruyun: Dumanınızı onlara solutmayın. (Protect your children, don't let them breathe your smoke. )
- Sağlık kuruluşları sigarayı bırakmada size yardımcı olabilir. (Health agencies can help you quit smoking)
- Sigara içmek yüksek derecede bağımlılık yapar, başlamayın. (Smoking is highly addictive, don't start)
- Sigarayı bırakmak ölümcül kalp ve akciğer hastalıkları riskini azaltır. (Stopping smoking reduces the risk of fatal heart and lung diseases)
- Sigara içmek ağrılı ve yavaş bir ölüme neden olabilir. (Smoking can cause a slow and painful death)
- Sigarayı bırakmak için doktorunuzdan ve . . . ’den yardım isteyin. (To quit smoking ask for help from your doctor and . . . )
- Sigara içmek kan akışını yavaşlatır ve cinsel iktidarsızlığa neden olur. (Smoking will slow the blood flow and cause impotence)
- Sigara içmek cildin erken yaşlanmasına neden olur. (Smoking causes early ageing of the skin)
- Sigara içmek spermlere zarar vererek doğurganlığı azaltır. (Smoking can damage the sperm and decreases fertility)
- Sigara dumanında benzen, nitrozamin, formaldehit ve hidrojensiyanit gibi kanser yapıcı maddeler bulunur. (Cigarette smoke contains carcinogens such as benzene, nitrosamines, formaldehyde and hydrogen cyanide. )
United States of America
- Caution: Cigarette Smoking May be Hazardous to Your Health (1966)
- Warning: The Surgeon General Has Determined that Cigarette Smoking is Dangerous to Your Health (1970)
- SURGEON GENERAL'S WARNING: Smoking Causes Lung Cancer, Heart Disease, Emphysema, And May Complicate Pregnancy. Overview The Surgeon General is nominated by the US President and confirmed via majority vote by the Senate. Emphysema is a chronic obstructive Pulmonary disease ( COPD) formerly termed a chronic obstructive Lung disease (COLD
- SURGEON GENERAL'S WARNING: Quitting Smoking Now Greatly Reduces Serious Risks to Your Health.
- SURGEON GENERAL'S WARNING: Smoking By Pregnant Women May Result in Fetal Injury, Premature Birth, And Low Birth Weight.
- SURGEON GENERAL'S WARNING: Cigarette Smoke Contains Carbon Monoxide. Carbon monoxide, with the chemical formula CO is a colorless odorless tasteless yet highly toxic Gas.
Though America started the trend of labelling cigarette packages with health warnings, today the country has one of the smallest, least prominent warnings placed on their packages.  Warnings are usually in small typeface placed along one of the sides of the cigarette packs with colors and fonts that closely resemble the rest of the package, so the warnings essentially are integrated and don't stand out with the rest of the cigarette package. 
For many years in Venezuela, the only warning in cigarette packs was printed in a very small typeface along one of the sides:
"Se ha determinado que el fumar cigarrillos es nocivo para la salud" (It has been determined that cigarette smoking is harmful to your health)
As of 2007 the following are printed very prominently, along with graphical images, as in Australia and Canada:
- Este producto es dañino para la salud y produce adicción (This product is hazardous to your health and is addictive)
- Fumar causa mal aliento, pérdida de muelas y cancer de boca (Smoking causes bad breath, tooth decay and mouth cancer)
- Fumar causa cancer de pulmón, tos, enfisema pulmonar y bronquitis crónica (Smoking causes lung cancer, coughing, pulmonar emphysema and chronic bronchitis)
- Fumar causa infarto al corazón (Smoking causes heart failure)
- Fumar durante el embarazo daña la salud de tu bebé (Smoking while pregnant harms your child)
- Los niños y niñas comienzan a fumar al ver adultos fumando (Children start smoking when they see adults smoke)
- Fumar cigarrillos durante el uso de anticonceptivos orales aumenta el riesgo de trombosis (Smoking while using oral contraceptives increases the risk of thrombosis)
- Fumar causa impotencia en los hombres (Smoking causes impotence in men)
- Dejar de fumar mejora tu salud y prolonga la vida (Quitting smoking improves your health and lifespan)
- El humo del cigarrillo afecta tambien a quien no fuma (Cigarette smoke also harms those who don't smoke)
© 2009 citizendia.org; parts available under the terms of GNU Free Documentation License, from http://en.wikipedia.org
network: | |