St Neots Priory was a Benedictine monastery in what is now the town of St Neots in the English county of Cambridgeshire within the district of Huntingdonshire. This article concerns Roman Catholic Order of Saint Benedict see also Benedictine Confederation and Benedictine. St Neots is a town of about 29000 people on the River Great Ouse. England is a Country which is part of the United Kingdom. Its inhabitants account for more than 83% of the total UK population whilst its mainland History Cambridgeshire is noted as the site of some of the earliest known Neolithic permanent settlement in the United Kingdom, along with sites at Fengate History The earliest English settlers in the district were the Gyrwas, an East Anglian tribe who early in the 6th century worked their way up the Ouse and the Cam
A monastery was first founded here in about 974 by Earl Aelric (or Leofric) and his wife Aelfleda (or Ethelfleda), who granted it two hides of land, part of the manor of Eynesbury, later called the manor of St Neots. Events By Place Africa The Carmathians are defeated in Egypt by Jawhar as-Siqilli; Fatimid rule is consolidated Eynesbury is a settlement in Cambridgeshire, England. It forms part of present-day St Neots, but before 1876 was a separate village Its site is uncertain, though it may have been where the present parish church stands. It is said that the relics of the Cornish Saint Neot were obtained illicitly from Neotstoke (now St Neot) in Cornwall and brought to the priory in order that it might have relics to attract pilgrims; hence the name of the town. St Neot was born in Saxon times living as a Monk in Cornwall, England most of his life St Neot (ˈsɪnt ˈniːʊt is a village in Cornwall, United Kingdom, situated between the towns of Bodmin and Liskeard. Cornwall ( Kernow ˈkɛɹnɔʊ is the most southwesterly county of England, on the Peninsula that lies to the west of the River Tamar
Saint Anselm, abbot of Bec Abbey in Normandy and later to be Archbishop of Canterbury, apparently visited the shrine of St. Saint Anselm of Canterbury (1033 &ndash April 21, 1109) was an Italian medieval Philosopher, theologian, and church official Bec Abbey (Abbaye Notre-Dame du Bec in Le Bec-Hellouin, Normandy, France, is a Benedictine monastic foundation in the Eure Normandy (Normandie Norman: Normaundie) is a geographical region corresponding to the former Duchy of Normandy. The Archbishop of Canterbury is the chief bishop and principal leader of the Church of England, the symbolic head of the worldwide Anglican Communion and the Neot in 1078-9. In 1081 he sent eighteen monks from Bec to replace the Saxon monks, and had it re-founded by Richard Fitz Gilbert and his wife Rothais or Rohais, lords of the manor, as a Benedictine priory dependent on Bec. Richard FitzGilbert (1030 - 1090 was a Norman lord who participated in the Norman conquest of England in 1066 In 1113 Rothais granted the whole manor of St. Neot's to the priory, which it held until its suppression.
At some point, quite possibly at the time of its re-foundation as a Benedictine priory, the monastery moved to a site on the riverside adjacent to a ford subsequently replaced by a bridge, a little way north of the present Market Square.
Because it was an alien priory (i. Alien priories were certain religious establishments in England before 1414 in which the inmates had no voice in the appointment of their superiors who were sent e. , the dependency of a French mother-house) it suffered difficulties whenever there were hostilities between France and England, and particularly during the Hundred Years’ War. Its property was continually seized for this reason, until it was eventually given its independence from Bec in 1409.
The priory was dissolved in 1539. The Dissolution of the Monasteries, sometimes referred to as the Suppression of the Monasteries, was the formal process between 1536 and 1541 by which Henry VIII disbanded
After the Dissolution the buildings were pulled down and nothing now remains above ground. The last remaining structure, a gateway, was demolished in the late 18th century: a plaque marks the position.