St. Andrews skyline
|- Mayor||John Craig|
|- Deputy Mayor||Edie Bishop|
|- Councillors||David Welch, John Castell, Kevin Kiley, Michael Craig, Mary Myers|
|- CAO||Tim Henderson|
|- Total||8. The provinces and territories of Canada combine to make up the world's second largest country in total area. New Brunswick ( French: Nouveau-Brunswick /nuvobʁɔnzwik/ is one of Canada 's three Maritime provinces and is the only constitutionally Charlotte County (2001 population 27366( population 26898 -17% is located in the southwestern portion of New Brunswick, Canada. A municipal corporation is the legal term for a local governing body, including (but not necessarily limited to cities, counties, Towns John Craig (1663&ndash October 11, 1731) was a Scottish Mathematician. Area is a Quantity expressing the two- Dimensional size of a defined part of a Surface, typically a region bounded by a closed Curve. 35 km² (3. Square Kilometre ( US spelling square kilometer) symbol km2, is a decimal multiple of the SI unit of 2 sq mi)|
|- Density||215. The square mile is an imperial and US unit of Area equal the area of a square of one statute mile. Population density (in agriculture standing stock and Standing crop) is a measurement of Population per unit area or unit volume 3/km² (557. 6/sq mi)|
|Time zone||Atlantic (AST) (UTC-4)|
|- Summer (DST)||ADT (UTC-3)|
|Canadian Postal code||E5B|
St. Andrews (2001 pop. : 1,869), commonly referred to as St. Andrews-By-The-Sea, is a Canadian town in Charlotte County, New Brunswick. Country to "Dominion of Canada" or "Canadian Federation" or anything else please read the Talk Page Charlotte County (2001 population 27366( population 26898 -17% is located in the southwestern portion of New Brunswick, Canada. New Brunswick ( French: Nouveau-Brunswick /nuvobʁɔnzwik/ is one of Canada 's three Maritime provinces and is the only constitutionally
St. Andrews is located at the southern tip of a triangular-shaped peninsula (15 km on the west side, 12 km on the east side) extending into Passamaquoddy Bay at the western edge of Charlotte County. Passamaquoddy Bay is an Inlet of the Bay of Fundy, between the U Charlotte County (2001 population 27366( population 26898 -17% is located in the southwestern portion of New Brunswick, Canada. It is the shire town of the county. A county seat is a term for an Administrative center for a County, primarily used in the United States.
The town's street grid is oriented toward the waterfront, which faces St. Andrews Harbour and the Western Channel, which is formed by Navy Island. St. Andrews Harbour is situated at the mouth of the St. Croix River and the town sits on the river's east bank at its discharge point into the bay. The St Croix River is a river in northeastern North America, 62 miles (102 km in length that forms part of the Canada–United States border between Maine
The town is directly opposite the community of Robbinston, Maine, 2 kilometres to the west across the river mouth. Robbinston is a town in Washington County, Maine, United States. The State of Maine ( is a state in the New England region of the northeastern United States of America, bordering the Atlantic Ocean
In addition to Navy Island, Minister's Island is another island in Passamaquoddy Bay that is adjacent to the town on its eastern boundary. Minister’s Island is a Canadian island in New Brunswick 's Passamaquoddy Bay near the town of St
Despite its proximity to the International Boundary with the United States, the nearest border crossings are 30 km away at St. Stephen or via a ferry service at Deer Island. The Canada – United States border is the international Border between Canada and the United States. St Stephen (2001 pop 4667 is a Canadian town in Charlotte County, New Brunswick. See also Merchant ship A ferry is a form of transport usually a Boat or Ship, used to carry (or ferry) passengers and Deer Island is a Canadian Island located in the Bay of Fundy at the entrance to Passamaquoddy Bay.
St. Andrews was founded in 1783 by United Empire Loyalists and named in honour of St Andrews, Scotland. The name United Empire Loyalists is a honorific name which has been given after the fact to those American Loyalists who resettled in British North America and other St Andrews (Cill Rìmhinn is a Town and former Royal burgh on the east coast of Fife, Scotland. Scotland ( Gaelic: Alba) is a Country in northwest Europethat occupies the northern third of the island of Great Britain. The town is well preserved, with many original buildings still in place (some of which were floated to the town on barges from Castine, Maine at the end of the Revolutionary War). Castine is a town in Hancock County, Maine, United States. As of the 2000 census the town had a total year-round population of 1343 In this article the inhabitants of the thirteen colonies that supported the American Revolution are primarily referred to as "Americans" with occasional references to "Patriots" There are many layers of history visible starting from the late 1700s, including the town's well-known formal grid street layout and many historic buildings. Many of the commercial buildings on Water Street date from the 1800s. The Algonquin, a resort situated on a hill overlooking the town, was built in 1889, making St. The Fairmont Algonquin is a coastal resort hotel in the Tudor style, located in Canada 's first seaside resort town St Andrews Canada's first seaside resort community. It burned down in 1914 and was rebuilt one year later.
Important attractions include The Fairmont Algonquin Hotel, Kingsbrae Horticultural Garden, The Ross Memorial Museum, the St. Andrews Biological Station, the Huntsman Marine Aquarium, The Sheriff Andrew's House, Minister's Island (the summer home of Cornelius Van Horne), whale watching, fine art and craft galleries, many shops, restaurants and small inns and the charming seaside setting. Minister’s Island is a Canadian island in New Brunswick 's Passamaquoddy Bay near the town of St Sir William Cornelius Van Horne KCMG (b February 3 1843 &ndash d
St. Andrews is the birthplace of Thomas Storrow Brown, a businessman, journalist, and an officer of the 1837 Rebellion and Victorian artist Edward Mitchell Bannister. Thomas Storrow Brown ( July 7, 1803 &ndash November 26, 1888) was a journalist writer orator and revolutionary in Lower Canada The Rebellions of 1837 were a pair of Canadian armed uprisings that occurred in 1837 and 1838 in response to frustrations in political reform and ethnic conflict Edward Mitchell Bannister (ca 1828&ndash January 9, 1901) was an African American painter whose Tonalism and predominantly pastoral The town was, and continues to be a home to noted summer citizens, including steel magnate Sir James Dunn, Fathers of Confederation Samuel Leonard Tilley and Charles Tupper, and William Cornelius Van Horne, General Manager and later, President of the Canadian Pacific Railway. Sir James Hamet Dunn 1st Baronet ( October 29 1874 - January 1 1956) was a major Canadian financier and industrialist during the first half of Sir Samuel Leonard Tilley, PC, KCMG ( May 8, 1818 &ndash June 25, 1896) was a Canadian politician and one Not to be confused with Sir Charles Hibbert Tupper who was Charles Tupper's son Sir William Cornelius Van Horne KCMG (b February 3 1843 &ndash d The Canadian Pacific Railway (
Minister's Island is named after a loyalist Anglican priest, Rev. Minister’s Island is a Canadian island in New Brunswick 's Passamaquoddy Bay near the town of St Samuel Andrews, who settled the island in 1786. But it is most famous as the summer home of Sir William Van Horne, builder of the Canadian Pacific Railway. The island is about a five minute drive from downtown St. Andrews. At low tide you can walk, bike or drive across Bar Road (along the ocean floor) to the island and during high tide a boat will ferry you the short distance to the gate where guides will take you to key locations by golf cart or van. There are guided tours available May through October, which allow you to see the stone house where Rev. Andrews and his family lived, and also Covenhoven (the summer cottage of Sir William Cornelius Van Horne), one of the largest livestock barns in North America, and the old windmill that used to power the island. Sir William Cornelius Van Horne KCMG (b February 3 1843 &ndash d Hikers, photographers, birdwatchers and others are free to explore the many trails on the Island.
The aquarium has various exhibits, including a touch pool with sea urchins, seastars, and sea anemones, among others. There are also a pair of harbour seals, Buddy and Chelsea, and usually one pup each year. The seals are fed at 11 a. m. and 4 p. m. each day.
St. Andrews is the shire town of Charlotte County and hosts the Charlotte County Courthouse, built in 1840 and designed by architect Thomas Berry. A county seat is a term for an Administrative center for a County, primarily used in the United States. The court house is a National Historic Site and one of the longest operating courthouses in Canada, as it continues to be used for the Court of Queen's Bench of New Brunswick. The Court of Queen's Bench of New Brunswick is the Superior court of the Canadian province of New Brunswick It is a beautiful example of Gothic Revival architecture and is available for touring through the Charlotte County Gaol (pronounced "jail"), situated next to the courthouse. Charlotte Country Goal is a prison originally established in 1786 The Gaol was built of large blocks of local granite in 1832 and continued to be used as such until 1979, despite its archaic construction. It currently is home to the Charlotte County Archives, which boasts a large collection of historical papers, photographs, microfilms of newspapers and selected collections, and research materials for local historians and genealogists alike. Located in the Old Gaol in St Andrews New Brunswick, the Charlotte County Archives' collection reflects the social political and economic history of Charlotte County New Brunswick The Gaol is purportedly haunted by the ghost of an innocent man hanged for murder in 1879, and was the site of one of Canada's last hangings in 1942.
The Ross Memorial Museum displays a large collection of furnishings collected by the Ross family, and donated, along with the building itself and the Ross Memorial Library next door. A large part of the Ross� collection is displayed, along with information on what the various rooms would have been used for, specific to the time to which the furniture dates.
The Sheriff Andrews House was built by Elisha Shelton Andrews, sheriff for Charlotte County, in 1820. It is now a public museum, with rooms displaying furniture from the 1820s, and costumed guides giving tours and telling stories about family life at the time. There is also an example of open-hearth cooking and, if booked in advance, families can spend a few hours preparing a lunch in the style of the 1820s, churning their own butter and cooking over an open hearth with the help of the guides.
The blockhouse was built as a coastal defense structure in the War of 1812 between the United States and the British Empire, but never saw action. Twelve similar structures were built, and only the St. Andrews blockhouse still stands. It was repaired in the 1990s following a fire. Guided tours are conducted during tourist season.
Kingsbrae Garden has over 50,000 different plants on display. There are edible gardens, a cedar maze, an ornamental grass garden, rose garden, gravel garden, a virgin Acadian forest trail, streams, a genuine Dutch windmill (1/3 scale), and even a garden called the �Scents and Sensitivity Garden�; built with advice from the Canadian National Institute for the Blind, and designed for the visually impaired, with all plants chosen because they have an interesting smell or texture, and all with names for the plants labelled in English, Latin, and Braille. There are goats, peacocks, ducks, sculptures and a Children's Fantasy Garden where there are free children's activities at 1:30 every day in July and August. Also at 10:30 every morning there's a Live Ladybug Release. Treasure Hunts, croquet and bocce ball are other free activities available daily throughout the season, 9 to 6, mid-May to mid-October, for Garden visitors and members. The Garden Caf�, Gift Shop & Art Gallery add to the enjoyment of this magnificent 27 acre public garden, and the Kingsbrae Plant Centre offers unusual and hard-to-find perennials, shrubs and trees. Kingsbrae Horticultural Garden is located just a few blocks up the hill from the St Andrews Water Street business district and wharf; also just steps from the historic Fairmont Algonquin hotel. In April 2006 Kingsbrae announced it would be the first public garden in Canada to display the rare Australian Wollemi Pine, discovered in 1994 though thought to have been extinct for two million years (CanWest News Service).
Sunbury Shores Arts and Nature Centre is a not-for-profit, membership-based organization situated on the shores of Passamaquoddy Bay in the resort town of St. Andrews by-the-Sea in south-western New Brunswick. St. Andrews is a community renowned for its natural beauty, historic past, distinctive architecture, and its vibrant visual and performing arts community. Since being established in 1964, the Centre has played a key role in the development of a strong arts community in St. Andrews through the execution of our unique mandate - to explore the connections between art and nature. Our courses and workshops use the rich natural environment of this Region as a source of artistic inspiration and nature exploration and our instructors - professional artists, artisans, crafts people and naturalists - are well known both in their fields of expertise and as educators. We offer 5 day courses, weekend and 1/2 day courses, day excursions and programs for children, particularly in summer. The Centre contains artists studios, printmaking shop, pottery studio, exhibition gallery, reference library and administrative offices and is open year round. We also own and maintain Two Meadows Nature Trail, a self guided hiking trail in a nearby wilderness area.
On every Thursday morning during the summer months, there is a local Farmers. Market in the town square. Indian food, Middle Eastern food, Mexican food, fresh organic produce and meat, plants, herbal soap, teddy bears, crepes filled with all kinds of fruit and melted chocolate, and homemade chocolate fudge are amongst the items for sale. There is usually music, played on guitar by one of the local highschoolers, or fiddle music (there are several different violinists who come on different days), or hammered dulcimer played by Ruth Dunfield, who also plays guitar and lives in St. Andrews.
St Andrews features the studios and galleries of many fine artists and craftspeople. Visitors will find original works in landscape and floral painting, sculptor, carving, textile art, fine pottery, wearable art, photography, jewelry and much more.
St Andrews features many outdoor murals which can be viewed year round. The St. Andrews Water Tower Mural measures 30' x 150' and includes images of Market Wharf and Kingsbrae Garden. The Drug Store Mural measures 960 square feet (89 m²) and is located on the side of Cockburn's Drugstore. It features images of Water Street and Kingsbrae Garden. The Hardware Store Mural is located on the side of St. Andrews Hardware. It is a 1,200-square-foot (110 m²) mural featuring an image of St. Andrews as it appeared in 1907.
A local community channel, CHCT, serves the St. For the former CHCT in Calgary Alberta, see CICT-TV. CHCT-TV is a Canadian Television station, broadcasting Andrews and Charlotte County area. The station launched in 1993 on cable television, and began broadcasting over the air in 2006.