Space advocacy can be described as the general position supporting, pleading or arguing forthe idea or cause of space exploration and settlements. It is a form of advocacy that specifically includes support for private space initiatives and is also a political position that favors the exploration, utilization, and colonization of outer space. Advocacy Advocacy is the pursuit of influencing outcomes –including public-policy and resource allocation decisions within political economic and social systems Private spaceflight is flight above Earth Altitude conducted by and paid for by an entity other than a government Politics Politics is the process by which groups of people make decisions History First orbital flights The first successful orbital launch was of the Soviet unmanned Sputnik Space colonization (also called space settlement, space humanization, Space habitation, etc Outer space, often simply called space, comprises the relatively empty regions of the Universe outside the escape velocities of Celestial bodies.
There are many different individuals and organizations dedicated to space advocacy. An organization (or organisation &mdash see spelling differences) is a social arrangement which pursues collective goals which controls its own performance and They are usually active in educating the public on space related subjects, lobbying governmentsfor increased funding in space-related activities or supporting private space activities. They also recruit members, fund projects, and provide information for their membership and interested visitors. They are sub-divided into three categories depending on their primary work: practice, advocacy, and theory.
Organizations that focus mainly on space advocacy, education, and lobbying activities.
- The National Space Society (formed from a merger of the National Space Institute, founded by Wernher von Braun, and the L5 Society, founded by Gerard O'Neill) is an organization with the vision of "people living and working in thriving communities beyond the Earth. The National Space Society (NSS is an international nonprofit 501(c(3, educational and scientific organization specializing in Space advocacy. The National Space Institute was the original Space advocacy group established by the late Dr Wernher Magnus Maximilian Freiherr von Braun (March 23 1912 &ndash June 16 1977 a German rocket physicist and astronautics engineer became one of the leading figures in The L5 Society was founded in 1975 by Carolyn and Keith Henson to promote the space colony ideas of Dr " 
- The Space Frontier Foundation promotes strong free market, capitalist views about space development. The Space Frontier Foundation is a small but influential Space advocacy organization that promotes increased involvement of the private sector rather than governments A free market is a Market in which property rights are voluntarily exchanged at a price arranged completely by the mutual consent of sellers and buyers Capitalism is the Economic system in which the Means of production are owned by private Persons and operated for Profit and where 
- The British Interplanetary Society, founded in 1933 and once led by Arthur C. Clarke, is the world's longest established space society. The British Interplanetary Society (BIS founded in 1933 by Mr Year 1933 ( MCMXXXIII) was a Common year starting on Sunday (link will display full calendar of the Gregorian calendar. Sir Arthur Charles Clarke, CBE (16 December 1917–19 March 2008 was a British Science fiction Author, Inventor, and 
- Students for the Exploration and Development of Space (SEDS) is a student organization founded in 1980 at MIT and Princeton. Students for the Exploration and Development of Space ( SEDS) is an international student organization whose purpose is to promote space exploration and development through educational Year 1980 ( MCMLXXX) was a Leap year starting on Tuesday (link displays the 1980 Gregorian calendar) Princeton University is a private Coeducational research university located in Princeton, New Jersey. 
- The Canadian Space Society was founded in 1983; in addition to carrying on its own space-advocacy activities, it acts as an umbrella organization for various other Canadian pro-space groups. The Canadian Space Society (CSS is a federally-incorporated non-profit Canadian corporation 
- Mars Society was founded by Robert Zubrin to forward humanity in exploring and colonizing Mars. The Mars Society is an international Space advocacy Non-profit organization dedicated to encouraging the exploration and settlement of Mars. Robert Zubrin (born 19 April 1952) is an American Aerospace engineer and Author, best known for his Advocacy of manned Mars 
- Marsdrive is a small group dedicated toward further promotion and development of ideas relating to a Manned mission to Mars. MarsDrive, founded in 2005 is an international non-profit space organization with a world-wide membership and branches across North America Europe and Australasia A human mission to visit and land on the planet Mars has long been a subject for Science fiction writers and a dream of Space exploration advocates It differs slightly in that it advocates the 'if we want to go - then we have to pay' approach.
Focus on advocating a theory for space exploration or colonization.
- The Alliance to Rescue Civilization plans to establish backups of human civilization on the Moon and other locations away from Earth. The Alliance to Rescue Civilization is an organization devoted to the establishment of an off-Earth "backup" of human civilization In Information technology, backup refers to making copies of Data so that these additional copies may be used to restore the original after a 
- The Artemis Project plans to set up a private lunar surface station. The Artemis Project was a private venture to establish a permanent self-supporting base on the Moon by 2002 
- The Living Universe Foundation has a detailed plan in which the entire galaxy is colonized. The Living Universe Foundation is an Organization that supports ocean and Space colonization more or less based upon the book The Millennial Project The Milky Way (a translation of the Latin Via Lactea, in turn derived from the Greek Γαλαξίας (Galaxias sometimes referred to simply 
- Red Colony strives to collect and develop theories in Mars colonization and terraformation via contributions and debate from the general public. Mars is the focus of much speculation and serious study about possible human colonization which might be possible The terraforming (literally "Earth-shaping" of a Planet, moon, or other body is the hypothetical process of deliberately modifying its 
Historians agree that space flight and especially manned space flight was not inevitable, but rather that society was convinced of the need for it by a few revolutionaries. These “revolutionaries” were primarily members of the Russian, American, British, and German science communities and starting in the 1930s began to share their individual plans for a future in space to their respective governments and the public.
Influential books and other media began to emerge which included works containing illustrations by Chesley Bonestell (based on Wernher von Braun's designs) such as The Conquest of Space (1949)and magazine articles including the "Man Will Conquer Space Soon!" series of article in Colliers magazine between 1952 and 1954. Chesley Bonestell ( 1 January 1888 &ndash 11 june 1986) was a painter designer and illustrator Wernher Magnus Maximilian Freiherr von Braun (March 23 1912 &ndash June 16 1977 a German rocket physicist and astronautics engineer became one of the leading figures in Year 1949 ( MCMXLIX) was a Common year starting on Saturday (link will display the full calendar of the Gregorian calendar. Man Will Conquer Space Soon! was the title of a famous series of 1950s magazine articles in Collier's detailing Wernher von Braun 's plans for manned spaceflight Collier's Weekly was an American Magazine founded by Peter Fenelon Collier and published from 1888 to 1957 Year 1952 ( MCMLII) was a Leap year starting on Tuesday (link will display full calendar of the Gregorian calendar. Year 1954 ( MCMLIV) was a Common year starting on Friday (link will display full 1954 Gregorian calendar) Television shows included Walt Disney's Man in Space and Man and the Moon in 1955, and Mars and Beyond in 1957. Walter Elias Disney (December 5 1901 – December 15 1966 was a multiple Academy Award -winning American Film producer, director, Screenwriter Year 1955 ( MCMLV) was a Common year starting on Saturday (link displays the 1955 Gregorian calendar) Year 1957 ( MCMLVII) was a Common year starting on Tuesday (link displays the 1957 Gregorian calendar)
- ^ Dictionary. com Unabridged (v 1. 1)Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2006.
- ^ The Solar System Ambassadors Program
- ^ http://chapters.marssociety.org/usa/dc/pdfSRC/MarsSociTest2003.pdf
- ^ Technical Societies Call for Increase to NASA Budget
- ^ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Tourism_Society
- ^ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Konstantin_Tsiolkovsky
- ^ Korolev
- ^ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_H._Goddard
- ^ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Interplanetary_Society
- ^ Biography of Wernher Von Braun
- ^ German Civilian Rocketry
- ^ HobbySpace - Space Activism - History
© 2009 citizendia.org; parts available under the terms of GNU Free Documentation License, from http://en.wikipedia.org
network: | |