|Sex and the City|
Sex and the City intertitle
|Created by||Darren Star|
|Starring||Sarah Jessica Parker|
|Country of origin|| United States|
|No. Romantic comedy films, colloquially known as romcom, are movies with light-hearted humorous plotlines centered around romantic ideals such as a True love able to Darren Bennett Star (born 1961 is an American television and Film producer and screenwriter best known for creating the hugely successful television series Sarah Jessica Parker (born March 25, 1965) is an American Actress and producer with a portfolio of Television, Film Kristin Landen Davis (also listed as Kristin Lee Davis; born February 23 or February 24, 1965 depending on the source is an American Cynthia Ellen Nixon (born April 9, 1966) is an American Tony - and two-time Emmy Award -winning actress who is known Kim Victoria Cattrall ( rhyming with shall; born 21 August 1956) is an English born actress who grew up in Canada and now lives The United States of America —commonly referred to as the of seasons||6|
|No. of episodes||94 (List of episodes)|
|Michael Patrick King|
Sarah Jessica Parker
|Location(s)||New York City, New York|
|Camera setup||Single camera|
|Running time||approx. The following is a detailed account of each episode plot during the course of the six seasons of Sex and the City. Michael Patrick King (born on September 14 1954 in Scranton Pennsylvania is an Emmy -award winning American director, Writer and Darren Bennett Star (born 1961 is an American television and Film producer and screenwriter best known for creating the hugely successful television series Sarah Jessica Parker (born March 25, 1965) is an American Actress and producer with a portfolio of Television, Film The City of New York The single-camera setup (aka single-camera mode of production is a method of shooting films and television programs 29 minutes|
|Picture format||480i SDTV|
|Original run||June 6, 1998 –|
February 22, 2004
Sex and the City is a multiple Emmy Award, Golden Globe award–winning popular American cable television program. 480i is the shorthand name for a video mode The i, which is sometimes uppercase stands for Interlaced, the 480 for a vertical frame resolution Stereophonic sound, commonly called stereo, is the reproduction of Sound, using two or more independent audio channels through a Symmetrical Events 1508 - Maximilian I Holy Roman Emperor, is defeated in Friulia by Venetian forces; he is forced to sign a three-year Year 1998 ( MCMXCVIII) was a Common year starting on Thursday (link will display full 1998 Gregorian calendar) Events 1495 - King Charles VIII of France enters Naples to claim the city's throne "MMIV" redirects here For the Modest Mouse album see " Baron von Bullshit Rides Again " The Golden Globe Awards are American awards for motion pictures and Television programs given out each year during a formal dinner The United States of America —commonly referred to as the The original run of the show was broadcast on HBO from 1998 until 2004, for a total of six seasons.
Set in New York City, the show focuses on four mid-thirties (and one who is in her mid-forties by the end) female characters. The City of New York The sitcom had serialized story lines, as well as dramatic elements and tackled socially-relevant issues, often specifically dealing with women in society in the late 1990s, and how changing roles and definitions for women affected the characters.
The show was primarily filmed at New York City's Silvercup Studios and on location in and around Manhattan. Silvercup Studios is the largest film and television production facility in New York City. Manhattan Island, in New York Harbor, is much the largest part of the Borough of Manhattan, one of the Five Boroughs which form the City of New York Since it ended, the show has been aired in syndication on networks such as TBS, WGN, The CW, and many other local stations. In Broadcasting, syndication is the sale of the right to broadcast Radio shows and Television shows to multiple individual stations without going through TBS is an American Cable television network that shows sports and a variety of programming with a focus on comedy WGN America (formerly known as "Superstation WGN" or "WGN Superstation" is a Chicago -based American Superstation for WGN-TV, owned The CW Television Network ( The CW) is a Television network in the United States launched at the beginning of the 2006-2007 television season. However, basic cable outlets edit out certain explicit show content that was broadcast in the original version.
The show was based in part on writer Candace Bushnell's book of the same name, compiled from her column with the New York Observer. Candace Bushnell (born December 1 1958) is an American Author and Columnist based in New York City. The New York Observer is a weekly newspaper first published in New York City on September 22, 1987, by Arthur L Bushnell has stated in several interviews that the Carrie Bradshaw in her columns is her alter ego; when she wrote the "Sex and the City" essays, she used her own name initially; for privacy reasons, however, she created the character of Carrie Bradshaw, a woman who was also working as a writer and living in New York City. An alter ego ( Latin, "the other I" is a second self, a second Personality or Persona within a Person Carrie also has the same initials, which reiterates her connection with Bushnell. 
Darren Star, the show's creator, paid $50,000 to Bushnell for complete rights to her columns. Darren Bennett Star (born 1961 is an American television and Film producer and screenwriter best known for creating the hugely successful television series  The show "bears only a passing resemblance to its source material"; the columns were "darker and more cynical" than the "gentler" series that Star produced.  According to Sex and the City: Kiss and Tell, by Amy Sohn, Star wanted to create a show that expressed true adult comedy, sex, in an up-front way. Amy Sohn (born 1973) is a Brooklyn -based Author, Columnist and Screenwriter.
The narrative of the show focuses on Carrie and her three best friends. The women discuss their sexual desires and fantasies, and their travails in life and love. The show often depicts frank discussions about romance and sexuality, particularly in the context of being a single woman in her mid-thirties. Each episode in season one features a short montage of interviews of people living in New York City regarding topics discussed in that episode. These continue through season two but were then phased out.
Another feature that would eventually be scrapped was Carrie breaking the fourth wall (for example, looking into the camera and speaking to the audience directly, also known in older drama as an aside). The fourth wall is the imaginary wall at the front of the stage in a Proscenium Theater, through which the audience sees the action in the world of the play An aside is a literary device in that an actor speaks to the audience he/she is not heard by the other characters Bradshaw would question scenarios and ideas, asking the audience for an opinion or insight on different situations. The pilot, however, also had the characters of Miranda and Charlotte as well as a few minor characters speaking directly to the camera/audience. Welcome to the age of uninnocence. No one has breakfast at Tiffany's and no one has affairs to remember. The last such event by Carrie occurs in episode 3 of the second season, "The Freak Show". The following is a detailed account of each episode plot during the course of the six seasons of Sex and the City.
The method of expressing inner monologues was shifted exclusively to voiceovers by Carrie in future episodes. The term voice-over refers to a production technique where a non-diagetic voice is broadcast live or pre-recorded in Radio, Television, Film, Her main narration usually revolves around the premise of that week's "article", where she sums up her thoughts with, "I couldn't help but wonder. . . ". As she says that, her computer monitor is shown while she is typing the text of her voiceover, ending up with the theme of the episode expressed as a question such as, "Are we sluts?" or "Can you really have sex without politics?"
Overview of characters
- Carrie Bradshaw (Sarah Jessica Parker) is the narrator of each episode. Sex and the City was an American Cable television program based on the novel of the same name by Candace Bushnell. Caroline Marie Bradshaw is the fictional narrator and lead character of the HBO Sitcom / Drama Sex and the City, played by actress Sarah Jessica Parker (born March 25, 1965) is an American Actress and producer with a portfolio of Television, Film Each episode is structured around her train of thought while writing her weekly column, "Sex and the City," for the fictitious newspaper The New York Star. A member of the New York glitterati, she is a club/bar/restaurant staple who is known for her unique fashion sense (particularly footwear). This is evident in the episode "The Real Me" in season four, when she is asked by former model Aislinn DuBois to be in a New York fashion show. She works on her PowerBook in her apartment, writing newspaper articles focusing on the different aspects of a relationship. The PowerBook is a line of Macintosh Laptop Computers that was designed manufactured and sold by Apple Computer Inc In later seasons, her essays are collected as a book and she begins taking assignments from Vogue and New York Magazine. Vogue is a Fashion and lifestyle Magazine published in eighteen countries by Condé Nast Publications. New York is a weekly magazine concerned with the life culture politics and style of New York City. Carrie is house-proud; her one-bedroom, rent-controlled apartment is in an Upper East Side brownstone. Rent control refers to laws or ordinances that set Price controls on the Renting of residential housing The Upper East Side is a neighborhood in the borough of Manhattan in New York City, between Central Park and the East River. Brownstone is a brown Triassic Sandstone which was once a popular Building material. Despite several long-term boyfriends, Carrie is entangled with "Mr. Big"(Chris Noth) in a complicated, multifaceted on and off relationship. Christopher David "Chris" Noth (born November 13 1954) is a Golden Globe -nominated American Actor of Film,
- Samantha Jones (Kim Cattrall) is the oldest and most sexually confident of the foursome. Samantha Jones is a fictional character on the HBO -produced television series Sex and the City. Kim Victoria Cattrall ( rhyming with shall; born 21 August 1956) is an English born actress who grew up in Canada and now lives Samantha is an independent businesswoman, with a career in public relations. Public relations (PR is the practice of managing the flow of Information between an Organization and its Publics Public relations - often referred She is confident, strong, outspoken, and calls herself a "try-sexual" (meaning she'll try anything once). One of Samantha's best qualities is her loyalty to her friends. When Carrie confesses to her that she's having an affair with her married ex-boyfriend (and cheating on her own boyfriend, as well), Samantha tells her that judging is not her style and offers her support. She has a conspicuous sexual appetite and avoids emotional involvement at all costs while satisfying her physical desires. She believes that she has had "hundreds" of soulmates and requires that her sexual partners leave, "an hour after I climax. " During the course of the show it is revealed that Samantha's glamorous, impenetrable facade and dismissive approach to love actually hides a sensitive, caring nature. Samantha has a number of relationships in the show (including one with a lesbian artist named Maria), albeit far fewer than the number of her casual sex encounters. In Season 3, she moves from her full-service Upper East Side apartment to an expensive loft in the then-transforming Meatpacking District. The Upper East Side is a neighborhood in the borough of Manhattan in New York City, between Central Park and the East River. The Meatpacking District, officially known as Gansevoort Market, and also known as MePa, is a Neighborhood in the New York City borough In Season 6, Samantha's character further develops when she is suddenly diagnosed with cancer when visiting a plastic surgeon for a breast implant consultation. An operation and chemotherapy challenge Samantha, but she beats cancer and it becomes clear the experience has renewed her with a new perspective on life and love with her most permanent and fulfilling relationship yet, with a younger man, model/actor, Smith Jerrod.
- Charlotte York (Kristin Davis) works in an art gallery and has had a conventional Connecticut upbringing. Kristin Landen Davis (also listed as Kristin Lee Davis; born February 23 or February 24, 1965 depending on the source is an American Connecticut ( is a state located in the New England region of the northeastern United States of America. She is the most conservative and positive of the group, the one who places the most emphasis on emotional love as opposed to lust, and is a true romantic; always searching for her "knight in shining armor. Social conservatism is a political or moral ideology that affirms the government's role in encouraging or enforcing traditional values or behaviors in the belief that these are what " She scoffs at the lewder, more libertine antics of her friends (primarily Samantha), presenting a more traditional attitude about relationships, usually based around "the rules" of love and dating. The Rules Time-Tested Secrets for Capturing the Heart of Mr Right is a best-selling 1995 book co-authored by Ellen Fein and Sherrie Schneider. Despite her conservative outlook, she has been known to make concessions (while married) that even surprise her more sexually liberated girlfriends. Charlotte was a "straight A" student who attended Smith College where she was a member of Kappa Kappa Gamma majoring in Art History with a minor in Finance. Smith College is a private, independent women's liberal arts college located in Northampton Massachusetts. Kappa Kappa Gamma ( ΚΚΓ) is a college women's fraternity, founded at Monmouth College, Illinois. Art history is the Academic study of objects of Art in their Historical development and stylistic contexts i The field of finance refers to the concepts of Time, Money and Risk and how they are interrelated During the series, it is also revealed that Charlotte was voted homecoming queen, prom queen, "most popular," student body president, track team captain, and was active as a teen model.
- Miranda Hobbes (Cynthia Nixon) is a career-minded lawyer with extremely cynical views on relationships and men. Miranda Hobbes is a Fictional character on the American HBO television Comedy series Sex and the City and subsequent Cynthia Ellen Nixon (born April 9, 1966) is an American Tony - and two-time Emmy Award -winning actress who is known A lawyer, according to Black's Law Dictionary, is "a person learned in the law as an attorney, Counsel or Solicitor; a person A Harvard Law School graduate from Philadelphia with two siblings, she is Carrie's best friend, confidante, and voice of reason. Harvard Law School (also known as Harvard Law or HLS) is one of the professional Graduate schools of Harvard University. Philadelphia (ˌfɪləˈdɛlfiə In the early seasons, she is portrayed as masculine and borderline misandric, but this image softens over the years, particularly after she becomes pregnant by her on/off boyfriend, Steve Brady, whom she eventually marries. Misandry ( IPA) is hatred (or contempt of Men or Boys. Misandry is parallel to Misogyny —the hatred of women The birth of her son, Brady Hobbes, brings up new issues for her Type A, workaholic personality, but she soon finds a way to balance career, being single and motherhood. The Type A and Type B personality theory is a Personality type theory that describes a pattern of behaviors that were once considered to be a risk factor for Coronary heart Of the four women, she is the first to purchase her own apartment (across the park from Carrie, on the Upper West Side), and later a home in Brooklyn. The Upper West Side is a neighborhood of the borough of Manhattan in New York City that lies between Central Park and the Hudson River Brooklyn (named after the Dutch town Breukelen) is one of the five boroughs of New York City.
- Mr. Big (Chris Noth) is a pseudonym for the charming, attractive, sarcastic, and wealthy love interest for Carrie Bradshaw. Mr Big (born April 7, 1955) is a fictional character in the HBO series Sex and the City, portrayed by Chris Noth. Christopher David "Chris" Noth (born November 13 1954) is a Golden Globe -nominated American Actor of Film, He is the reason for many of Carrie's breakdowns as he never seemed ready to fully commit to Carrie. During the course of the series he marries Natasha, who is ten years younger than Carrie. An affair with Carrie destroys Big's marriage and Carrie's relationship with her other major love interest, furniture designer Aidan. In the final episode, Mr. Big realizes that life without Carrie is nothing. He is a big jazz fan and a heavy cigar smoker with plenty of money to burn. His name, John, was not revealed until the end of the series finale. In the movie version, his full name of "John James Preston" is revealed for the first time.
- Steve Brady (David Eigenberg) is Miranda's on and off boyfriend throughout the series since he was introduced in the second season. Steve Brady is a fictional character on HBO series Sex and The City, played by David Eigenberg. David Eigenberg (born May 17, 1964) is an American actor He is known for his role of Steve Brady on the HBO comedy Sex and the City He eventually marries Miranda at the end of Season 6, after they had a child together at the end of Season 4. He is one of the few men on the show meant to counter-balance all the emotionally unstable men encountered throughout the series, as he is a constant and sensitive male character. His alcoholic mother, Mary Brady, played by Anne Meara, is also a prominent recurring character. Anne Meara (born September 20 1929 is an American Comedian and actress.
- Aidan Shaw (John Corbett) was a former boyfriend of Carrie Bradshaw. John Joseph Corbett Jr ( May 9, 1961) is a US actor and country music singer They met at his furniture store after he was featured in a newspaper article; Carrie was instantly drawn to Aidan's laid-back sex appeal. Although Carrie and Aidan were engaged, Carrie was reluctant to actually get married. She realized that, unlike Aidan, she needed to be out in the world of Manhattan. Carrie also realized that Aidan didn't really trust her because she had betrayed his trust once before.
- Because of the 9/11 attacks, shots of the World Trade Center Towers were replaced by the Empire State Building during the opening sequence of season four. The following is a detailed account of each episode plot during the course of the six seasons of Sex and the City. The World Trade Center in New York City, United States (sometimes informally the WTC or Twin Towers) was a complex of seven buildings in Lower Manhattan The Empire State Building is a 102-story Art Deco Skyscraper in New York City at the intersection of Fifth Avenue and West 34th Street
- An edit involving New Yorkers on the bus, then suddenly disappearing from the bus, has become a popular blooper in entertainment history. New York ( is a state in the Mid-Atlantic and Northeastern regions of the United States and is the nation's third most populous A blooper usually describes a short sequence of a film or video production which contains a mistake made by a member of the cast or crew See also Entertainment (disambiguation and The Entertainer (disambiguation Entertainment is an activity designed to give people History is the study of the past particularly the written record Those who study history as a Profession are called Historians Etymology
- The opening theme seems to be the same one from the 1994 movie "Eat, Drink, Man, Woman" . The song is played about halfway through the movie.
Viewer response and impact
Sex and the City premiered on HBO, June 6, 1998, and was one of the highest-rated sitcoms of the season, and the last original episode aired on February 22, 2004, was one of the most watched series finales. Events 1508 - Maximilian I Holy Roman Emperor, is defeated in Friulia by Venetian forces; he is forced to sign a three-year Year 1998 ( MCMXCVIII) was a Common year starting on Thursday (link will display full 1998 Gregorian calendar) "An American Girl in Paris Part Deux" is the final episode of the HBO series Sex and the City which began airing in 1998 Events 1495 - King Charles VIII of France enters Naples to claim the city's throne "MMIV" redirects here For the Modest Mouse album see " Baron von Bullshit Rides Again " A series finale is the very last installment of a Television series, usually a Sitcom or Drama.
The show became well known and lauded for its frank dialogue about women and sex. Fans of the show say that Sex and the City is a realistic portrayal of the sexual behavior and lifestyles of many urban Americans. The United States of America —commonly referred to as the  An unlikely supporter of the show is author Orson Scott Card. Orson Scott Card (born August 24, 1951) is a bestselling American Author, Critic, political writer and speaker. Card stated that although the crudity of the series left him numb, the show contained some of the best writing on television. 
However, the characters have been criticized for being shallow, superficial, and self-absorbed. .
Awards and recognition
Over its course of six seasons, "Sex and the City" was nominated for over 50 Emmy Awards, winning seven times. Among the Emmys the show won were two for Outstanding Casting for a Comedy Series (Jennifer McNamara), one for its Costumes, a trophy for Outstanding Comedy Series for its third season in 2001, Outstanding Directing for a Comedy Series in 2002 for the episode "The Real Me", and for its final season in 2004, Emmys for Sarah Jessica Parker (Outstanding Lead Actress in a Comedy Series for the episode "An American Girl in Paris, Part Deux"), and Cynthia Nixon (Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series for the episodes "One" and "Ick Factor"). Year 2001 ( MMI) was a Common year starting on Monday according to the Gregorian calendar. "MMIV" redirects here For the Modest Mouse album see " Baron von Bullshit Rides Again " Sarah Jessica Parker (born March 25, 1965) is an American Actress and producer with a portfolio of Television, Film "An American Girl in Paris Part Deux" is the final episode of the HBO series Sex and the City which began airing in 1998 Cynthia Ellen Nixon (born April 9, 1966) is an American Tony - and two-time Emmy Award -winning actress who is known It has also been nominated for 24 Golden Globe Awards, and won 8. The Golden Globe Awards are American awards for motion pictures and Television programs given out each year during a formal dinner Its wins included Best TV Series — Musical or Comedy, and Best Actress in a TV Series — Musical or Comedy, (Sarah Jessica Parker) for three consecutive years from 2000 – 2002, Best Supporting Actress in a Series, Mini-Series, or Movie for Kim Cattrall, and another one for Parker. The musical film is a Film genre in which several Songs sung by the characters are interwoven into the narrative Comedy (from the Greek κωμωδίαkomodia has a popular meaning (any discourse generally intended to amuse especially in Television, Film, and A television program (US television programme (UK or television show (U The musical film is a Film genre in which several Songs sung by the characters are interwoven into the narrative Comedy (from the Greek κωμωδίαkomodia has a popular meaning (any discourse generally intended to amuse especially in Television, Film, and Sarah Jessica Parker (born March 25, 1965) is an American Actress and producer with a portfolio of Television, Film 2000 ( MM) was a Leap year that started on Saturday of the Common Era, in accordance with the Gregorian calendar. See also 2002 (disambiguation Year 2002 ( MMII) was a Common year starting on Tuesday of the Gregorian calendar. Kim Victoria Cattrall ( rhyming with shall; born 21 August 1956) is an English born actress who grew up in Canada and now lives
Broadcast and distribution
Season one of Sex and the City aired on HBO from June to August 1998. Season two was broadcast from June until October,1999. Season three aired from June until October 2000. Season four was broadcast in two parts: from June until August 2001, and then in January and February 2002. Season five, truncated due to Parker's pregnancy, aired on HBO during the summer of 2002. The twenty episodes of the final season, season six, aired in two parts: from June until September 2003 and during January and February 2004.
Sex and the City is currently syndicated in the United States by HBO corporate sibling (under Time Warner) Warner Bros. Television Distribution. Time Warner Inc ( is the world's largest media and entertainment conglomerate, headquartered in New York City. Warner Bros Television Distribution is an American television distribution arm of Warner Bros The international rights to the series currently rest with CBS Television Distribution, the syndication arm of CBS Paramount Television, the successor-in-interest to Paramount's television unit (through its acquisition of original international distributor Rysher Entertainment) now owned by CBS Corporation. CBS Television Distribution (CTD is a United States and Global Television Distribution company, a merger of CBS Corporation 's three CBS Paramount Television (formerly Desilu Productions, Paramount Television, among other companies is an American Television production Rysher Entertainment is the owner of TV and Film programming content primarily distributed around the world by CBS Television Distribution and CBS CBS Corporation () is an American Media conglomerate focused on Broadcasting, Publishing, Billboards, and Television
The United States cable channel HBO was the original broadcaster. For a topic outline on this subject see List of basic Australia topics. Country to "Dominion of Canada" or "Canadian Federation" or anything else please read the Talk Page Germany, officially the Federal Republic of Germany ( ˈbʊndəsʁepuˌbliːk ˈdɔʏtʃlant is a Country in Central Europe. New Zealand is an Island country in the south-western Pacific Ocean comprising two main landmasses (the North Island and the South Island Singapore The United States of America —commonly referred to as the The United States of America —commonly referred to as the TBS and WGN began showing edited reruns of the series. TBS is an American Cable television network that shows sports and a variety of programming with a focus on comedy WGN America (formerly known as "Superstation WGN" or "WGN Superstation" is a Chicago -based American Superstation for WGN-TV, owned The series then went into international syndication. The Nine Network aired the first run of the show Every Monday Between 9:30pm and 11:00pm. The Nine Network, or Channel Nine, is an Australian television network based in Willoughby, a suburb on the North Shore of Sydney After 2004 the Cable Channel W. Channel aired it until summer 2008 when Arena TV started airing it in a block with Will & Grace with promos stating "all the good guys are gay". W (also known as W Channel) is an Australian Cable and Satellite television channel which broadcasts programs of special interest to women on Arena is an Australian Cable and Satellite channel available on Foxtel, Austar and Optus Television's subscription platforms Will & Grace is a popular Emmy Award -winning American television sitcom that was originally broadcast on NBC from 1998 to 2006 Channel 4 aired the series in the UK with the first episode shown in early 1999. Channel 4 is a public-service Television and Radio broadcaster in the United Kingdom centred around a television channel of the same name which began The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, commonly known as the United Kingdom, the UK or Britain,is a Sovereign state located
|Country||Date of Premiere||Channel|
| USA||June 6th, 1998 - February 22nd 2004|
2004 - present
| Australia||1999 - June 2004|
2005 - 2007
January 2008 - Present
All six seasons of Sex and the City have been released commercially on DVD. TBS is an American Cable television network that shows sports and a variety of programming with a focus on comedy The Nine Network, or Channel Nine, is an Australian television network based in Willoughby, a suburb on the North Shore of Sydney W (also known as W Channel) is an Australian Cable and Satellite television channel which broadcasts programs of special interest to women on An arena is an enclosed area often circular or oval-shaped designed to showcase Theater, musical performances or sporting events DVD (also known as " Digital Versatile Disc " or " Digital Video Disc " - see Etymology)is They have been released officially on region 1 (Americas), region 2 (Europe & Middle East), region 3 (Korea) and region 4 (Oceania & South America) formats, but illegal bootleg editions have also surfaced for region 3 (Thailand) as well as region 0 (Universal) and can even be found on eBay. 'Copyright infringement' (or copyright violation) is the unauthorized use of material that is covered by Copyright law in a manner that violates eBay Inc is an American Internet company that manages eBaycom an Online auction and shopping Website in which people and businesses buy and In addition to their region encoding, releases vary depending on which region they were released in. Region 2 DVDs of Sex and the City have been criticized by some fans for having little or no special features, but region 1 editions have included director commentary, cast interviews and more.
In addition to standard single season DVD Boxsets of the show, limited edition collectors' editions have also been released that include all 6 seasons in one complete set. Even these vary between region 1 2 and 4. While Europe got a complete set that came with special 'shoe box' packaging (a reference to Sarah Jessica Parker's character's love for shoes in the show), the USA and Canada version came packaged in a more traditional fold-out suede case and with an additional bonus DVD including many special features. Sarah Jessica Parker (born March 25, 1965) is an American Actress and producer with a portfolio of Television, Film Oceania's edition came packaged in a beauty case.
As well as missing out on some special features, many fans in Europe had trouble with the region 2 edition of the season 1 DVD. Unfortunately, the show was not converted into a PAL video signal, and remained in its original American NTSC format. PAL, short for Phase Alternating Line, is a colour -encoding system used in Broadcast television systems in large parts of the world NTSC ( National Television System Committee) is the Analog television system used in the United States, Canada, Japan, Mexico This caused some compatibility problems with some European television sets and DVD players. All subsequent Region 2 DVD releases of the programme were appropriately transferred to PAL video and season 1 has since been re-released in PAL format. DVD video discs may be encoded with a region code restricting the area of the world in which they can be played PAL, short for Phase Alternating Line, is a colour -encoding system used in Broadcast television systems in large parts of the world Outside the US, Sex and the City boxed sets were released through Paramount Pictures (whose parent Viacom interestingly once owned HBO's rival Showtime, before the CBS Corporation split at the end of 2005) - who owned at once, certain rights to the programme's broadcast as well -- it was probably because of Paramount's "no-extras" policy that the region 2 DVDs were criticized. Paramount Pictures Corporation is an American motion picture production and Distribution company, based in Hollywood California. Viacom ( ( short for " Vi deo & A udio Com munications" is an American Media conglomerate with various worldwide interests Showtime is a subscription television Brand used by a number of channels and platforms around the world but primarily refers to a group of channels in the United American and Canadian DVDs were released through the programme's original broadcasters, HBO. In Australia, single editions have been released, where each disc is sold separately. In South Korea, due to the popularity of the show, a complete, six-season, special DVD shoebox set was released--600 limited edition sets in 2005; 850 limited edition sets in 2006--at suggested retail price of $300 (US). South Korea, officially the Republic of Korea and often referred to as Korea ( Korean: 대한민국 tɛː All of them sold out immediately.
Selected episodes are also available as part of the Sex and the City Essentials DVD collection. These are four separately-packaged discs containing three selected episodes that fit a common theme.
- The Best of Lust: Contains the episodes "The Fuck Buddy", "Running with Scissors", and "The Turtle and the Hare". The Fuck Buddy is the fourteenth episode of the second season of the HBO television series Sex and the City. The Turtle and the Hare is the ninth episode of the first season of the HBO television series Sex and the City.
- The Best of Mr. Big - Contains the episodes "Sex and the City", "Ex and the City", and "I Heart NY". The following is a detailed account of each episode plot during the course of the six seasons of Sex and the City. I Heart NY is the eighteenth (and last episode of the fourth season of the HBO television series Sex and the City.
- The Best of Romance: Contains the episodes "Baby, Talk is Cheap", "Hop, Skip and a Week ", and "An American Girl in Paris (Part Deux)". "An American Girl in Paris Part Deux" is the final episode of the HBO series Sex and the City which began airing in 1998
- The Best of Breakups - Contains the episodes "Don't Ask, Don't Tell", "I Love a Charade", and "The Post-it Always Sticks Twice". I Love a Charade is the fifth season finale of the HBO television series Sex and the City.
There have been several CDs released to accompany the series Sex and the City, two of which (the albums from Irma Records) contain tracks used in the show's actual soundtrack. A Compact Disc (also known as a CD) is an Optical disc used to store digital data, originally developed for storing digital audio
- Sire Records
- Includes the main theme from the show, written by Douglas J. Cuomo and features Mark Berman on keyboards
- Sex and the City - Official Soundtrack (two disc set)
- March 1, 2004
- Sony TV
- 36 Hits. Sex and the City Music from the HBO Series is the soundtrack from the HBO television series Sex and The City released in 2000 Sire Records Company is an American record label owned by Warner Music Group and distributed through Warner Bros Douglas J Cuomo (born February 13[[ 958]] is an American composer who between 1994 and 2007 has composed hundreds of scores for television and films Mark Berman is a New York City pianist composer producer conductor music director and arranger Events 86 BC - Lucius Cornelius Sulla, at the head of a Roman Republic army enters in Athens, removing the Tyrant "MMIV" redirects here For the Modest Mouse album see " Baron von Bullshit Rides Again " is a multinational conglomerate corporation headquartered in Minato Tokyo, Japan, and one of the world's largest Media conglomerates with
- Irma at Sex and the City - Part 1 - Daylight Session (two disc set)
- April 19, 2004
- Irma Records
- Ambient and chilled sounds from the show's soundtrack
- Irma at Sex and the City - Part 2 - Nightlife Session (two disc set)
- April 19, 2004
- Irma Records
- House and electronica sounds from the show's soundtrack
- Released via composer Rob Mounsey's website (http://www.robmounsey.com/)
- Compilation of Mounsey's musical cues used on Sex and the City. Events 1012 - Martyrdom of Alphege in Greenwich London. 1529 - At the Second Diet of Speyer "MMIV" redirects here For the Modest Mouse album see " Baron von Bullshit Rides Again " Events 1012 - Martyrdom of Alphege in Greenwich London. 1529 - At the Second Diet of Speyer "MMIV" redirects here For the Modest Mouse album see " Baron von Bullshit Rides Again " Rob Mounsey ( December 2, 1952 in Berea Ohio -) is an award-winning Composer, music producer and musician
The following are quotations from the TV special, Sex And The City: A Farewell, that aired introducing the final episode: "An American Girl in Paris, Part Deux"
- Michael Patrick King, Executive Producer::"People thought, oh it's just about sex or it's just about fashion. And then slowly over the years people start to see it's really about love . . . and relationships . . . and sex . . . and basically the battlefield of trying to be in love—whether it be with another person or with yourself. "
- Sarah Jessica Parker::"What the show has to have, and has had to have in order to survive six years, is a soul. . . if the show was a heart and you split the heart in two, one half would be the four women, and the other would be Carrie, alone, and her life in the city with her friends. "
- Cynthia Nixon::"These women would never wear the same outfit twice. "
- David Eigenberg::"They were honest about sex, they were honest about the humor of sex. "
- Kim Cattrall::"The show is a valentine to being single. . . . Being single used to mean that nobody wanted you; now it means you're pretty sexy and you're taking your time deciding how you want your life to be. . . and who you want to spend it with. "
A feature film based on Sex and the City, written and produced by Michael Patrick King, has been produced. Michael Patrick King (born on September 14 1954 in Scranton Pennsylvania is an Emmy -award winning American director, Writer and  The film originally was slated for production near the end of the broadcast series run in 2004, but the movie deal fell through at that time. Multiple press reports at the time indicated a personal dispute between Parker and Cattrall, as well as Cattrall's refusal to sign a contract for the film at a pay scale considerably less than Parker's. 
Michael Patrick King wrote and directed, and the four lead actresses returned to reprise their roles, and Chris Noth signed to reprise his role as "Mr. Big. " In addition, Oscar-winner Jennifer Hudson appears in the film as Carrie's assistant. Jennifer Kate Hudson (born September 12 1981 is an American actress, singer and model. New Line Cinema will be distributing the film, and New Line president of production Toby Emmerich, Richard Brenner and Kathy Busby are overseeing the project. New Line Cinema, founded in 1967 is one of the major American Film studios Though it initially began as an independent film studio it became a Parker and John Melfi are producing. Filming started on September 19, 2007 in New York City.   
The plot of the film revolves around the lives of the four main characters, four years after the time frame of the finale of the HBO series. 
Evan Handler, David Eigenberg, Jason Lewis, and Willie Garson reprise their roles. Evan Handler (born January 10, 1961) is an American actor and leukemia survivor who has appeared in films and television dramas and Sitcoms David Eigenberg (born May 17, 1964) is an American actor He is known for his role of Steve Brady on the HBO comedy Sex and the City Jason Lewis (born June 25, 1971) is an American Actor and former Fashion model. Willie Garson (born February 20, 1964) is an American Actor. He has appeared in over 50 movies usually playing minor roles
Filming of the Sex and the City movie was completed early December 2007. 
The film's world premiere was in London's Leicester Square in early May 2008. London ( ˈlʌndən is the capital and largest urban area in the United Kingdom. For the British guitarist see Lester Square. Leicester Square (ˈlɛstɚ is a Pedestrianised square in the West End International holidays May 1 - Labour Day ( Pakistan) May 1 - Labour Day ( Singapore) The film was released on May 28, 2008 in the U.K. and was released May 30, 2008 in the U.S. with an unprecedented $55. Events 585 BC - A Solar eclipse occurs as predicted by Greek philosopher and scientist Thales, while Alyattes is battling 2008 ( MMVIII) is the current year in accordance with the Gregorian calendar, a Leap year that started on Tuesday of the Common The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, commonly known as the United Kingdom, the UK or Britain,is a Sovereign state located Events 1416 - The Council of Constance, called by the Emperor Sigismund a supporter of Antipope John XXIII burns Jerome of Prague following 2008 ( MMVIII) is the current year in accordance with the Gregorian calendar, a Leap year that started on Tuesday of the Common The United States of America —commonly referred to as the 7 million three-day gross. The debut made Sex and the City the top-opening romantic comedy of all time. 
Pop culture references
- MADtv parodied the show as Sluts and the City. MADtv, is an American Sketch comedy television series based on the humor magazine Mad. The HBO slogan "It's not TV, it's HBO" became "It's not TV, it's porn (with Emmys). A slogan is a memorable Motto or Phrase used in a Political, commercial, Religious and other context as a repetitive expression of " MADtv's Michael McDonald appears as Carrie in drag with a visible crotch bulge. Michael James McDonald (born December 31, 1964) is an American Comedian and Actor formerly starring in the Sketch comedy show
- Jennifer Aniston portrayed Carrie on Saturday Night Live with a fake nose. Jennifer Joanna Aniston (born February 11 1969 is an American Film and television actress. Saturday Night Live ( SNL) is a weekly late-night 90-minute American Sketch comedy / Variety show based in New York City Other sketch shows have made fun of Miranda being color blind for her bright hair dye color, Samantha (played by Christina Aguilera) coming out as a transexual, and the women confusing sex with shoes. Color blindness, a Color vision deficiency is the inability to perceive differences between some of the Colors that others can distinguish Christina María Aguilera (born December 18 1980 is an American pop / R&B Singer and Songwriter. Transsexualism is a condition in which a person identifies with a physical Sex different from the one with which they were born
- In Charmed, Paige wonders if one of the women in Sex and the City slept around a lot, to which Phoebe suggests she was a free spirit. Paige Matthews is a Fictional character, and one of the four leading characters to be featured on the WB Television series Charmed Phoebe Halliwell is a Fictional character from the American Television program Charmed, and one of the four leading characters At the time, Jason Lewis (who played "Smith Jerrod", one of Samantha's loves in later episodes) was a new cast member on Charmed. Jason Lewis (born June 25, 1971) is an American Actor and former Fashion model. Sex and the City was an American Cable television program based on the novel of the same name by Candace Bushnell. Samantha Jones is a fictional character on the HBO -produced television series Sex and the City. Love is any of a number of Emotions and experiences related to a sense of strong Affection.
- In the movie In Her Shoes, there was a scene in the old folks' home when they were watching TV and you could hear Carrie narrating.
- In the TV series "Alastair McGowan's Big Impression", the show was parodied as "Sex and Man City", focusing on the love life of the oblivious former England football team manager Kevin Keegan and his issues with new manager Sven Göran Eriksson
- On The Simpsons, the show was parodied as "Nookie in New York". TalkManchester City FC before changing verbs to singular --> Manchester City Football Club is an English professional football club Marge's sister described it as "a show about four straight women who act like gay men".
- The TBS sitcom My Boys, Season One, Episode 19, "Douchebag in the City", parodied the four female lead characters of Sex and the City by having the former editor of female main character PJ Franklin coming to Chicago to visit. My Boys is a United States television Sitcom that debuted on November 28, 2006, on TBS. The friend/editor displays very overt characteristics of what one would presume would be an attempt by a New Yorker to emulate Carrie Bradshaw, down to having cultivated friendships with three caricatures of Miranda, Charlotte and Samantha, whom she brought along to Chicago. The point of the comparison is best nailed home when a passing bus splashes water on her and she turns around shocked, in slow motion, as in SATC's opening credits.
- The show is sometimes referred to Logo's original series Noah's Arc, as being the gay version of Sex and the City. Logo is an American digital Cable television channel owned by Viacom 's MTV Networks division Noah's Arc is an American Cable television program Often referred to as a Comedy-drama, the show integrated socially-relevant issues such as same
- The song "'03 Bonnie & Clyde", on Beyoncé's album Dangerously in Love and Jay-Z's album The Blueprint²: The Gift & the Curse, includes lyrics about Beyoncé from Jay-Z. "' 03 Bonnie & Clyde " is a song by rapper Jay-Z featuring R&B singer Beyoncé. Beyoncé Giselle Knowles (born September 4 1981 commonly known as Beyoncé (biːˈɑn Dangerously in Love is the debut solo album by American R&B singer Beyoncé Knowles, released on June 24 2003 by record label Columbia. Shawn Corey Carter (born December 4 1969 better known as Jay-Z, is an American Rapper and former CEO of Def Jam Recordings and Roc-A-Fella The Blueprint² The Gift & The Curse is Rapper Jay-Z 's seventh studio album released in 2002 He states that " The only time we don't speak is during Sex and the City. She gets Carrie fever, but soon as the show is over she's right back to being my soldier. "
- The video to the song "Girl" by Destiny's Child is an homage to Sex and the City with Beyoncé typing some of the lyrics out on a laptop a la Carrie and Beyoncé and Michelle Williams comforting Kelly Rowland after she walks out on her cheating man. Destiny's Child (sometimes referred to as DC or DC3) was an R&B and pop Girl group comprising lead singer Beyoncé Knowles Tenitra Michelle Williams (born July 23, 1980) commonly known as Michelle Williams, is an American Singer-songwriter, Record Kelendria "Kelly" Trene Rowland (born February 11 1981 is an American R&B Singer-songwriter, Dancer, and actress,
- Carrie Bradshaw's love for shoes made shoe designer Manolo Blahnik a household name. Manolo Blahnik CBE (born 27 November 1942 in Santa Cruz de La Palma, Canary Islands) is a Spanish Fashion designer
- Sex and the City brought to the greater public eye the now wildly popular cosmopolitan, originally known as a pink Kamikaze. A cosmopolitan is a Cocktail made with Vodka, Cointreau or Triple Sec, cranberry juice, and fresh-squeezed lime juice or
- On Will and Grace, the season 6 episode "No Sex 'n' the City" includes a scene of Karen and Jack talking about the Sex and the City finale. Will & Grace is a popular Emmy Award -winning American television sitcom that was originally broadcast on NBC from 1998 to 2006 Karen declares, "Honey, I am so glad that Carrie ended up with Mr. Big instead of that 70-year old ballerina!" Jack admits he was "crying like a little girl" at the ending.
- On Family Guy, the show was mentioned in the Stewie Griffin Movie, with Chris being tortured by Lois because he cannot remember the four Sex and the City women's names. Family Guy is an animated American television sitcom created by Seth MacFarlane that airs on Fox and regularly on other
- On Family Guy the show is mentioned in an episode where Brian is attempting to get a petition signed to stop a ban on gay marriage. Brian states that to get signatures he did "some things in West Quahog [he's] not proud of" and the screen flashes to him, presumably watching the beginning of Sex and the City with two gay men, upon which he states "So it's a show about three hookers and their mom?" (Part of a running gag about Kim Cattrall being old. )
- On Family Guy there is a brief scene where Kim Cattrall as Samantha is about to go to a bed with another man, when her leg creaks. She uses an oil can to lubricate her leg, then invites the man to jump on top of her. When he does, she shatters. (Part of a running gag about Kim Cattrall being old)
- The tagline of Showtime series The L Word; 'Same sex. Showtime is a subscription television Brand used by a number of channels and platforms around the world but primarily refers to a group of channels in the United The L Word is a Television Drama series on Showtime that portrays the lives of a group of Lesbian, Bisexual and different city', parodies the shows title.
- The magazine Time Out New York recently released a cover mocking the overmilking of "Sex and the City" and the lack of reasons for creating a movie, by showing the four main characters of the series being gagged, along with an accompanying article about why many New Yorkers are sick of the show. Time Out is a Publishing company based in London, England. The company's best known product is the Time Out weekly listings Magazine A gag is usually a device designed to prevent speech, often as a restraint device to stop the subject from calling for help 
- In one of the interviews of Sasha Cohen last Winter Olympics 2006, asking her what she did to relax and calm herself before her Ice Skating Event competition, she answered she watches DVDs of "Sex and the City".
- ^ Victoria Degtyareva (1 March 2005). Bushnell Speaks on Sex, City, and Shoes. Stanford Daily Online. Retrieved on 2008-04-23. 2008 ( MMVIII) is the current year in accordance with the Gregorian calendar, a Leap year that started on Tuesday of the Common Events 215 BC - A temple is built on the Capitoline Hill dedicated to Venus Erycina to commemorate the Roman defeat at
- ^ a b c Is it just the shoes?, a May 2008 article from BBC News Magazine
- ^ Sohn, Amy (2004). Sex and the City: Kiss and Tell. New York: Pocket Books. ISBN 0743457307.
- ^ Binks, Georgie. "Sex and the City", CBC News, 2004-03-25. "MMIV" redirects here For the Modest Mouse album see " Baron von Bullshit Rides Again " Events 1199 - Richard I is wounded by a crossbow bolt while fighting France which leads to his death on April 6. Retrieved on 2006-12-17. Year 2006 ( MMVI) was a Common year starting on Sunday of the Gregorian calendar. Events 546 - Gothic War (535–554: The Ostrogoths of King Totila
- ^ Card, Orson Scott. Orson Scott Card (born August 24, 1951) is a bestselling American Author, Critic, political writer and speaker. "Gifts, television, comedy, traffic, and earphones", The Rhinoceros Times, 2003-12-21. Year 2003 ( MMIII) was a Common year starting on Wednesday of the Gregorian calendar. Events 69 - The end of the Year of the four emperors: Following Galba, Otho and Vitellius, Vespasian Retrieved on 2006-12-17. Year 2006 ( MMVI) was a Common year starting on Sunday of the Gregorian calendar. Events 546 - Gothic War (535–554: The Ostrogoths of King Totila
- ^ Hull, Shelton. "Modern Woman as Love Machine: The Post-Feminist Landscape, as Projected by 'Sex and the City'", LewRockwell.com, 2006-06-30. LewRockwellcom (LRC is a widely read 501(c(4 Anarcho-capitalist and Paleolibertarian web magazine operated by Burton Blumert (publisher Year 2006 ( MMVI) was a Common year starting on Sunday of the Gregorian calendar. Events 350 - Roman usurper Nepotianus, of the Constantinian dynasty, is defeated and killed by troops of the Usurper Retrieved on 2006-12-17. Year 2006 ( MMVI) was a Common year starting on Sunday of the Gregorian calendar. Events 546 - Gothic War (535–554: The Ostrogoths of King Totila
- ^ Parker confirms "Sex and the City" rumors, The New Zealand Herald, June 8, 2007
- ^ Sarah Jessica Parker Confirms "Sex and the City" Movie in the Works, Hollywood. Events 68 - The Roman Senate accepts emperor Galba. 536 - St Silverius becomes Pope (probable Year 2007 ( MMVII) was a Common year starting on Monday of the Gregorian calendar in the 21st century. com, June 7, 2007
- ^ a b The Hollywood Reporter
- ^ Cattrall Quits Sex and the City. Events 1099 - The First Crusade: The Siege of Jerusalem begins Year 2007 ( MMVII) was a Common year starting on Monday of the Gregorian calendar in the 21st century. FemaleFirst (13 December 2004). Retrieved on 2008-04-23. 2008 ( MMVIII) is the current year in accordance with the Gregorian calendar, a Leap year that started on Tuesday of the Common Events 215 BC - A temple is built on the Capitoline Hill dedicated to Venus Erycina to commemorate the Roman defeat at
- ^ a b Jennifer Hudson moves to 'City' - Entertainment News, Film, Media - Variety
- ^ "Sex and the City" Movie a Big Deal, Yahoo!, July 5, 2007
- ^ "Sex and the City" Movie Ends Filming, Digital Spy, December 5, 2007
- ^ "Sex Sells", E! Online, June 1, 2008
- ^ http://www.timeout.com/newyork/resizeImage/htdocs/export_images/659/659.x600.cover.jpg
Events 1295 - Scotland and France form an alliance the beginnings of the Auld Alliance, against England. Year 2007 ( MMVII) was a Common year starting on Monday of the Gregorian calendar in the 21st century. Events 63 BC - Cicero reads the last of his Catiline Orations. Year 2007 ( MMVII) was a Common year starting on Monday of the Gregorian calendar in the 21st century. Events 193 - Roman Emperor Didius Julianus is Assassinated 987 - Hugh Capet is elected 2008 ( MMVIII) is the current year in accordance with the Gregorian calendar, a Leap year that started on Tuesday of the Common
© 2009 citizendia.org; parts available under the terms of GNU Free Documentation License, from http://en.wikipedia.org
network: | |