A public service announcement (PSA) or community service announcement (CSA) is a non-commercial advertisement broadcast on radio or television, ostensibly for the public good. Advertising is a form of Communication that typically attempts to persuade potential Customers to Purchase or to consume more of a particular Brand In Economics, a public good is a good that is non-rivaled and non-excludable. PSAs are intended to modify public attitudes by raising awareness about specific issues.
In the United States
The most common topics of PSAs are health and safety, although any message considered to be "helpful" to the public can be a PSA. A typical PSA will be part of a public awareness campaign to inform or educate the public about an issue such as smoking or compulsive gambling. An advertising campaign is a series of Advertisement messages that share a single idea and theme which make up an integrated marketing communication (IMC The term " addiction " is used in many contexts to describe an obsession compulsion or excessive Physical dependence or psychological dependence such as
Often, a charitable organization releasing a PSA enlists the support of a celebrity; examples include Michael J. Jordan's PSAs in the U. The definition of charitable organization, and of charity varies according to the country and in some instances the region of the country in which the charitable organization operates Michael Jeffrey Jordan (born February 17 1963 is a retired American professional Basketball player and active businessman S. supporting research into Parkinson's Disease and Crips street gang leader Stanley "Tookie" Williams speaking from prison to urge youth not to join gangs. Parkinson's disease (also known as Parkinson disease or PD) is a degenerative disorder of the Central nervous system that often impairs the sufferer's The Crips are a primarily but not exclusively African American gang founded in Los Angeles California in 1969 mainly by 16-year-old Raymond Gangsters redirects here For the computer game see Gangsters (video game. Stanley Tookie Williams III ( December 29, 1953 &ndash
Some religious groups produce PSAs on non-religious themes such as T. V. values. Examples include the long-running "Homefront" campaign from The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Seventh-day Adventist Church, and more recently the United Methodist Church. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is the fourth largest Christian denomination in the United States and the largest and most well-known The Seventh-day Adventist (abbreviated " Adventist " Church is a Christian denomination which is distinguished mainly by its observance The United Methodist Church is the largest Methodist denomination and the second largest Protestant denomination in the United States.
The military produces PSAs to recruit enlistees, in addition to paid advertising and sponsorship efforts.
In the U. S, the role of PSAs was affected by desegration of the broadcasting industry in the 1980s. Previously, a broadcast license was assigned to a television or radio station that was expected to serve as a "public trustee" by airing PSAs (in addition to meeting other requirements). Continued licensure no longer depends strictly on programming content, and the number of PSAs that are deliberately scheduled has declined.
The Ad Council is the largest producer of PSAs in the United States. Advertising Council, commonly known as the Ad Council, is an American non-profit organization that distributes Public service announcements on behalf of Other producers distribute traditional PSAs distributed to station directors.
- "Do you know where your children are?"
- "Don't Copy That Floppy"
- Jem: "Doing the right thing makes you a superstar!"
- Sailor Moon (American version): "Sailor Moon Says!"
- The Incredible Crash Dummies: "You can learn a lot from a Dummy. Do you know where your children are? is a popular question used as a Public service announcement for parents on American television throughout the 1960s 1970s and Don’t Copy That Floppy was an anti- Copyright infringement campaign run by the Software Publishers Association (SPA beginning in 1992 and has become popula Jem is an American Animated television series that ran from 1985 to 1988 in U is the title of a Japanese Media franchise created by Naoko Takeuchi. The humanoid appearance of crash test dummies led to their becoming anthropomorphized. "
- G.I. Joe and Transformers: "And knowing is half the battle!"
- Heritage Minutes
- Hinterland Who's Who
- "Just Say No"
- "Crying Indian" (sponsored by Keep America Beautiful)
- "Love. It Comes in All Colors"
- "Learn Not to Burn" with Dick van Dyke
- McGruff the Crime Dog: "Take a bite out of crime!"
- NBC's One to Grow On
- Smokey Bear: "Only you can prevent forest fires!" and "Only You Can Prevent Wildfires!"
- NBC's The More You Know
- This is Your Brain on Drugs
- I learned it by watching you
- I'm not a chicken, you're a turkey
- Woodsy Owl: "Give a hoot, don't pollute!" and "Lend a hand — care for the land!"
- Mr. Yuk
- Heather Crowe
- C.O.P.S. For Kids
- "Don't You Put It In Your Mouth" (sponsored by Health Canada)
- American Indian College Fund: "If I Stay on the Rez"
- Marine Corps Toys for Tots
- The Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog: "Sonic Sez" One segment became a YTMND page ("That's no good!")
- Captain Planet and the Planeteers: "Planeteer Alert!"
- Inspector Gadget: "Gadget Team Alert!"
- Click It or Ticket
- The Faster the Speed, the Bigger the Mess
- "FUR. GI Joe A Real American Hero is a half-hour American animated television series based on the successful toyline from Hasbro and the comic book series This page is about the original Transformers Animated series. Heritage Minutes, also known officially as Historica Minutes History by the Minute, are sixty-second short films each illustrating an important moment in Canadian Hinterland Who's Who is best known as a series of 60-second Public service ads profiling Canadian animals and birds produced by Environment " Just Say No " was a Television Advertising campaign part of the US " War on Drugs " and prevalent during the 1980s and Iron Eyes Cody ( April 3, 1904 &ndash January 4, 1999) was an American Actor born in Kaplan Keep America Beautiful is an environmental organization founded in 1953 Love It Comes in All Colors was a National Urban Coalition Television commercial and print advertisement from 1970. Richard Wayne “Dick” Van Dyke (born December 13, 1925) is an American Actor, Presenter and Entertainer, with a Richard Wayne “Dick” Van Dyke (born December 13, 1925) is an American Actor, Presenter and Entertainer, with a McGruff the Crime Dog is an Anthropomorphic Cartoon Bloodhound created for the National Crime Prevention Council for use by American The National Broadcasting Company ( NBC) is an American Television network headquartered in the GE Building in New York City's One to Grow On is an educational Public service announcement (PSA that broadcast during NBC 's Saturday morning line-up from 1983 to 1989 Smokey Bear (often wrongly referred to as Smokey The Bear is a character in the longest running public service campaign in United States history The National Broadcasting Company ( NBC) is an American Television network headquartered in the GE Building in New York City's The More You Know ( TMYK) is a series of Public service announcements (or PSAs broadcast on the NBC Universal family of channels in the United This Is Your Brain on Drugs was a large-scale US anti- Narcotics campaign by Partnership for a Drug-Free America (PDFA launched in 1987 I learned it by watching you! was a large-scale United States anti- Narcotics campaign by Partnership for a Drug-Free America. Woodsy Owl is an Owl Icon for the United States Forest Service most famous for the motto "Give a hoot &mdash don't pollute!" Woodsy's current Mr Yuk is a trademarked graphic image created by the Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh, and widely employed in the United States in labeling of substances See also Barb Tarbox At the end of each episode of COPS, a special PSA segment known as C Health Canada ( French: Santé Canada) is the department of the government of Canada with responsibility for national Public health Based in Denver Colorado, The American Indian College Fund provides scholarships and other support for the nation's 32 tribal colleges and universities Marines (from the English adjective marine, meaning of the sea, from Latin language mare, meaning sea via French adjective Toys for Tots is a program run by the United States Marine Corps Reserve which donates Toys to children whose parents cannot afford to buy them gifts for Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog is an American animated series that was first broadcast in September 1993, and has been running in Cartoon YTMND, an initialism for " You're The Man Now Dog Captain Planet and the Planeteers is an American animated environmentalist Television program, based on an idea by Ted Turner Inspector Gadget is an Animated television series about a clumsy absent-minded and oblivious Detective, Inspector Gadget who is a human being with Click It or Ticket is a National Highway Traffic Safety Administration mobilization campaign aimed at increasing the use of Seat belts among young people in the The Faster the Speed the Bigger the Mess is a sixty second Public service ad campaign by the Department of the Environment in Northern Ireland . . You Deserve It" (anti-fur trading)
- Above the Influence
- Yul Brynner: Now that I'm gone, I tell you: don't smoke (sponsored by American Cancer Society). The fur trade is a worldwide industry dealing in the acquisition and sale of animal Fur. Above the Influence is an Advertising campaign in the United States by the National Youth Anti-Drug Media Campaign that advocates against Recreational Yul Brynner (July 11 1920 – October 10 1985 was a Russian born Actor of stage and film, perhaps best known for his portrayal of the The American Cancer Society ( ACS) is the "nationwide community-based voluntary health organization dedicated to
- DoDo Cheng: "Travel Insurance means Travel Reassurance"
- Andy Lau: Customer Service, Quality Tourism Services
- An example of a public service announcement
- Ad Council, the largest producer of public service announcements in the United States. Travel insurance is Insurance that is intended to cover medical expenses financial (such as money invested in nonrefundable pre-payments and other losses incurred while Not to be confused with film director Andrew Lau. Andy Lau Tak-Wah MH, JP (born September 27 1961 is a Hong Kong The Hong Kong Tourism Board (HKTB a Government-subvented body was founded in 2001 Cause marketing or cause-related marketing refers to a type of Marketing involving the cooperative efforts of a "for profit" business and a Non-profit Public Information Films (known as PIFs) are a series of government commissioned short films shown during television advertising breaks in the UK.
- Salo Productions, producer of traditional public service announcements distributed to TV and radio station PSA directors.
- WestGlen Communications, a consultant, producer, and distributor of PSAs on television, radio, and the web.
- Goodwill Communications, Goodwill Communications, a distributor of public service materials to all media with a division specializing in cause related marketing.
- PSA Research Center, the only on-line information center dedicated solely to public service advertising, social issues and cause marketing.
- Partnership for a Drug-Free America, a well-known sponsor of public service announcements on a specific theme. The group behind the "This is your brain on drugs" TV spot.
- Homefront, 30 year campaign funded by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, promoting family values.
- American Indian College Fund, providing Tribal College scholarships to Native American students around the country.
- VIHdeo America: an anthology of 10 years of HIV TV spots in the Americas
© 2009 citizendia.org; parts available under the terms of GNU Free Documentation License, from http://en.wikipedia.org
network: | |