Princess is the feminine form of prince (from Latin princeps, meaning principal citizen). Prince, from the Latin root Princeps, is a general term for a Monarch, for a member of a monarch's or former monarch's family and is a Latin ( lingua Latīna, laˈtiːna is an Italic language, historically spoken in Latium and Ancient Rome. The Latin word Princeps (plural principes) means exactly 'a prime' Most often, the term has been used for the consort of a prince, or her daughters, women whose station in life depended on their relationship to a prince and who could be disowned and stripped of the title if he so chose.
For many centuries, the title "princess" was not regularly used for a monarch's daughter, who might simply be called "Lady" or a non-English equivalent; Old English had no female equivalent to "prince", "earl", or any royal or noble aside from the queen, and the women of nobility bore the title of "Lady".
As women have slowly gained more autonomy through European history, the title of princess has become simply the female counterpart of prince and does not necessarily imply being controlled or owned by a prince. The history of Europe describes the passage of time from humans inhabiting the European continent to the present day In some cases then, a princess is the female hereditary head of state of a province or other significant area in her own right. Head of state is the generic term for the individual or collective office that serves as the chief public representative of a Monarchic or Republican Nation-state The ancient meaning applies in Europe still to the extent that a female commoner who marries a prince will almost always become a princess, but a male commoner who marries a princess will almost never become a prince, unless his wife has, or is expected to attain, a higher title, such as Queen regnant. In British law a commoner is someone who is neither the Sovereign nor a peer. List of current queens regnant A queen regnant (plural "queens regnant" is qualifying reference to a female Monarch possessing and exercising all of the monarchal The implication is that if the man held the equivalent masculine title, he would have rank over his wife without the necessary pedigree.
In many of Europe's royal families, a king would grant his heirs actual or theoretical principalities to train them for future kingship or to give them social rank. A royal family is the extended family of a monarch. Generally the head of a royal family is a king or queen regnant Social rank or simply rank is a hierarchy based on one's perceived importance in Society. This practice has led over time to many people thinking that "prince" and "princess" are titles reserved for the immediate family of a king or queen. In fact, most princesses in history were not immediate members of a royal family but women who married into it; however, in many cases, a princess would choose someone outside of royalty to wed.
Present day princesses
- Belgium: Mathilde, Elisabeth, Astrid, Luisa Maria, Maria Laura, Laetitia Maria, Claire, Louise, Léa, Marie-Christine, Maria-Esmeralda
- Bulgaria: Miriam, Rosario, Mafalda, Olimpia, Carla, María, Sofia, Kalina and Marie Louise. Early life and family She was born Mathilde d'Udekem d'Acoz in Uccle on 20 January 1973 For the consort of Albert I who was also Princess of Belgium see Elisabeth Gabriele of Bavaria Princess Elisabeth of Belgium ( Élisabeth Ancestry Ancestry Princess Maria Laura of Belgium Archduchess of Austria-Este ( Maria Laura Zita Beatrix Gerhard, born August 26, 1988) Princess Imperial Ancestry Princess Louise of Belgium ( Louise Sophie Mary) born Woluwé-Saint-Lambert, February 6, 2004, is the first child of Prince Laurent Princess Léa of Belgium (b Etterbeek, 2 December, 1951) Princess Alexandre of Belgium (French princesse Alexandre de Belgique) Princess Marie-Christine of Belgium ( Marie-Christine Daphné Astrid Elisabeth Léopoldine, born 6 February, 1951 in Laeken, Belgium Princess Marie-Esméralda of Belgium ( Marie-Esméralda Adelaide Lilian Anna Léopoldine, born September 30, 1956, Laeken, Belgium) Prince Kardam of Bulgaria Prince of Turnovo, Crown Prince of Bulgaria (born December 2, 1962) is the eldest son of Tsar Simeon II Prince Kyrill of Bulgaria Prince of Preslav (born July 11, 1964) also known as Kyrill of Saxe-Coburg is the second son of Tsar Simeon II of Prince Kyrill of Bulgaria Prince of Preslav (born July 11, 1964) also known as Kyrill of Saxe-Coburg is the second son of Tsar Simeon II of Prince Kyrill of Bulgaria Prince of Preslav (born July 11, 1964) also known as Kyrill of Saxe-Coburg is the second son of Tsar Simeon II of Prince Kubrat of Bulgaria Prince of Panagiurishte (born November 5, 1965) is the third son of Tsar Simeon II of Bulgaria and his wife Prince Konstantin-Assen of Bulgaria Prince of Vidin (born December 5, 1967) is the fourth son of Tsar Simeon II of Bulgaria and his wife Prince Konstantin-Assen of Bulgaria Prince of Vidin (born December 5, 1967) is the fourth son of Tsar Simeon II of Bulgaria and his wife Princess Kalina of Bulgaria (born January 19, 1972 in Madrid, Spain) is the fifth child and only daughter of Princess Maria Louise of Bulgaria (Княгиня Мария Луиза Българска (born January 13 1933, Sofia) is the daughter of Tsar
- Burundi: Esther Kamatari, an émigrée of 35 years, who is returning to Burundi to campaign as a potential president. Princess Esther Kamatari (born 1951 is a Writer, model, and exiled Burundian princess Burundi (buˈɾundi officially the Republic of Burundi, is a small country in the Great Lakes region of Eastern Africa bordered by Rwanda President is a Title leaders of Organizations companies, Trade unions universities, and countries.
- Denmark: Mary, Isabella, Marie, Benedikte and Elisabeth. Early life Mary was born and raised in Hobart, Tasmania, Australia. Birth The princess was born at Rigshospitalet, the Copenhagen University Hospital at 402pm Early life Marie Cavallier was born in Paris, France. She is the only child of Françoise Grassiot and Alain Cavallier Children and grandchildren Gustav Hereditary Prince of Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg, born 12 January 1969 Princess Alexandra
- Greece: Marie-Chantal, Maria-Olympia, Alexia, Theodora and Irene. Marie-Chantal Crown Princess Pavlos of Greece Princess of Denmark ( Née Marie-Chantal Claire Miller; born September 17 1968 in Early life Crown Prince Pavlos was born on May 20, 1967 in Athens, to King Constantine II of Greece and Queen Anne Marie, by birth Titles styles honours and arms Titles and styles Princess Alexia has used the following titles and styles Her Royal Highness Princess Alexia Titles styles honours and arms Titles and styles 9 June 1983 – present: Her Royal Highness Princess Theodora Titles styles honours and arms Titles and styles May 11, 1942 – present: Her Royal Highness Princess Irene
- Japan: Masako, Aiko, Kiko, Kako, Mako, Hanako, Yuriko, Nobuko, Akiko, Yōko, Hisako, Tsuguko, Noriko and Ayako. Childhood She was born, the eldest of Hisashi Owada, a senior Diplomat. born December 1, 2001, is the first child of Their Imperial Highnesses Crown Prince Naruhito, heir apparent to the Japanese throne and Crown Princess Early life Princess Kiko is the eldest daughter of Kawashima Tatsuhiko Professor of Geology at Gakushuin University, and his wife Kazuyo Official Residence Prince Hitachi and Princess Hitachi have their official residence in a palace in large gardens off Komazawadori in Higashi Tokyo Notes(Trivia Family The Prince and Princess had 5 children The couple's two daughters left the imperial family upon marriage Konoe Yasuko (née Princess Yasuko of Mikasa Royal duties The princess accompanies her husband on various missions abroad to charity and welfare events especially those concerning Health issues Footnotes
- Jordan: Iman bint Al Abdullah , Salma, Alia, Ayah, Sara, Aisha bint Al Faisal, Aisha bint Al Hussein, Zein, Haya Bint Al Hussein, Rym, Jalilah, Hayah bint Hamzah, Fahdah, Hala, Iman bint Al Hussein, Raiyah, Muna, Sarvath, Rahma, Sumaya, Badiya, Basma, Sana, Yasmine, Sarah, Noor, Salha and Nejla. Princess Iman bint Al Abdullah (b September 27, 1996) is the first daughter and second child of King Abdullah Princess Salma bint al-Abdullah (born 26 September, 2000) is the second daughter and third child of Princess Alia bint Al Hussein of Jordan was born on February 13, 1956 to His Majesty King Hussein and Her Royal Highness Princess Dina Al Hussein Princess Sara bint Al Faisal of Jordan (born March 27 1997 is the daughter Prince Faisal bin Al Hussein Princess Aisha bint Al Faisal of Jordan (born March 27 1997 is the daughter Prince Faisal bin Al Hussein HRH Princess Aisha bint Al Hussein (born April 23, 1968 in Amman, Jordan) is the sister of King Abdullah II of Jordan and is Princess Haya of Jordan (ھيا born is one of King Hussein I of Jordan 's daughters and the junior wife of Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum Princess Iman (born 24 April 1983) is the daughter of King Hussein and Queen Noor. Princess Raiyah Bint Al-Hussein (born 9 February 1986) is the youngest daughter of the late King Hussein Princess Muna al-Hussein (born Antoinette Avril Gardiner in Chelmondiston, near Ipswich, England, on April 25, 1941 Family Her father the late Bhopal -born Mohammed Ikramullah, was a senior member of the Indian Civil Service in the Government of India Princess Rahma bint El Hassan was born on August 13, 1969 in Amman, Jordan Princess Sumaya bint El Hassan (سمية بنت الحسن was born on May 14, 1971 in Amman Princess Badiya bint El Hassan was born on March 28, 1974 in Amman, Jordan Princess Sana Asem A daughter of HEMr Adnan Mawloud Kalimat, (سمو الأميرة سناء عاصم (born Princess Yasmine bint Asem was born in Amman on June 30, 1975. Princess Sarah bint Asem was born in Amman on August 12, 1978. Princess Noor Hamzah (نور بنت عاصم) (born Princess Noor bint Asem October 6, 1982) is wife of Prince Hamzah bin Al Hussein Princess Salha bint Asem was born in Amman on June 14, 1987. She is the daughter of Prince Asem bin Al Nayef and Princess Sana Asem Princess Nejla bint Asem was born in Amman on May 9, 1988. She is the daughter of Prince Asem bin Al Nayef and Princess Sana Asem
- Liechtenstein: Marie Aglaë, Sophie, Marie-Caroline, Angela, Marie, Georgina, Tatjana, Isabelle, Princess Astrid, Princess Theodora, Margaretha, Maria-Annunciata, Marie-Astrid and Nora. Marie Aglaë Princess of Liechtenstein (born a Countess Kinsky of Wchinitz and Tettau, Gräfin Kinsky von Wchinitz und Tettau is the wife and cousin of Prince Hans Education From 1978 to 1980 Princess Sophie attended the Girls' Home Primary School of the English Lady in Heiligenstadt. The Liechtenstein dynasty from which the Principality takes its name (rather than vice-versa is the princely family of Liechtenstein. Princess Angela of Liechtenstein ( 3 February, 1958 in Bocas del Toro, Panama) is the wife of Prince Maximilian of Liechtenstein. Princess Marie of Liechtenstein may refer to Princess Marie Aglaë of Liechtenstein (born 1940 wife and cousin of Prince Hans Adam II of Liechtenstein The Liechtenstein dynasty from which the Principality takes its name (rather than vice-versa is the princely family of Liechtenstein. The Liechtenstein dynasty from which the Principality takes its name (rather than vice-versa is the princely family of Liechtenstein. The Liechtenstein dynasty from which the Principality takes its name (rather than vice-versa is the princely family of Liechtenstein. Princess Margaretha of Liechtenstein, born Princess Margaretha Antonia Marie Félicité of Luxembourg on 15 May, 1957 at Betzdorf The Liechtenstein dynasty from which the Principality takes its name (rather than vice-versa is the princely family of Liechtenstein. The Liechtenstein dynasty from which the Principality takes its name (rather than vice-versa is the princely family of Liechtenstein. Princess Nora of Liechtenstein Countess of Rietberg (in full Norberta (Nora Elisabeth Maria Assunta Josefine Georgine et omnes sancti Prinzessin von und zu Liechtenstein Gräfin
- Luxembourg: Alexandra, Marie Astrid, Marie Gabrielle, Sibilla, Elisabeth and Alix. Princess Alexandra of Luxembourg ( Given names: Alexandra Joséphine Teresa Charlotte Marie Wilhelmine; born 16 February 1991) is the fourth Biography In her youth as one of the few eligible royal princesses from European reigning houses she was considered an ideal candidate by royal watchers for marriage to Charles Prince Jean of Luxembourg (Given names Jean Felix Marie Guillaume) was born on 15 May 1957 at Betzdorf Castle, the second son of Jean Princess Sibilla of Luxembourg (née Sibilla Sandra Weiller Torlonia) was born in Neuilly-sur-Seine, France on 12 June, 1968 Alix Marie Anna Antoinette Charlotte Gabriell Princess of Ligne, Princess of Luxembourg Princess of Nassau Princess of Bourbon-Parma (born August
- Monaco: Antoinette, Caroline, and Stéphanie. Princess Antoinette of Monaco Baroness of Massy (born 28 December 1920) is a member of the princely family of Monaco and the elder sister of the Caroline Princess of Hanover Hereditary Princess of Monaco ( Caroline Louise Marguerite Prinzessin von Hannover Erbprinzessin von Monaco) formally styled Her Princess Stéphanie of Monaco (born 1 February 1965) is a member of the princely family of Monaco.
- Morocco: Lalla Salma, Lalla Khadija, Lalla Asma, Lalla Hasna, and Lalla Meryem. Princess Lalla Salma of Morocco (الأميرة للا سلمى born Salma Bennani on May 10 1978 is the Princess Consort of King Princess Lalla Asma of Morocco (born 1965 is the daughter of Hassan II of Morocco and his wife Lalla Latifa Hammou. Princess Lalla Hasna of Morocco (born November 19, 1967) is the youngest daughter of the late King Hassan II and his wife Lalla Latifa Hammou Princess Lalla Meryem of Morocco ( Arabic: الأميرة للا مريم born August 26, 1962 in Rome, Italy) is first daughter and
- Netherlands: Máxima, Catharina-Amalia, Alexia, Ariane, Laurentien, Mabel, Margriet, Marilène, Annette, Anita, Aimée and Christina. Princess Máxima of the Netherlands ( Née Máxima Zorreguieta; born May 17, 1971) is the spouse of Willem-Alexander Prince of Orange Life Princess Catharina-Amalia was born in the Bronovo Hospital in The Hague. Life Princess Alexia was born in the Bronovo Hospital in The Hague. Birth Princess Ariane was born in the Bronovo Hospital in The Hague at 2156 local time on April 10, 2007 as the third child and third daughter of Early life Petra Laurentien Brinkhorst was born in Leiden on 25 May 1966 the daughter of the former Dutch minister of Economic Affairs Laurens Jan Brinkhorst and Early life She was born Mabel Martine Los to Henk Los and Flos Kooman Children Princess Margriet and Pieter van Vollenhoven have four sons Prince Maurits (born 17 April 1968) m Children In the early morning of October 9, 2007, Aimée gave birth to a healthy baby girl the couple's first child to be named Magali Margriet Eleonoor van Birth She was born Maria Christina (Marijke at Soestdijk Palace The Netherlands
- Norway: Mette-Marit, Ingrid Alexandra, Märtha Louise, Ragnhild and Astrid. Mette-Marit Crown Princess of Norway (born Mette-Marit Tjessem Høiby Princess Ingrid Alexandra of Norway was born 21 January, 2004 at 913am in Rikshospitalet University Hospital in Oslo. Princess Märtha Louise of Norway (born 22 September 1971 in Oslo) is the only daughter of King Harald V and Queen Sonja. Princess Ragnhild Mrs Lorentzen, Highness ( Ragnhild Alexandra, born Oslo, 9 June 1930) is the eldest daughter of King Olav Princess Astrid Mrs Ferner, Highness ( Astrid Maud Ingeborg, born Oslo, 12 February 1932 is the second daughter of King Olav V of Norway (1903&ndash1991
- Romania: Margareta, Elena, Irina, Sofia and Maria. Princess Margarita of Romania ( Margareta in the Romanian language) Princess of Hohenzollern (styled Crown Princess of Romania) (b Titles styles honours and arms Titles and styles 15 November 1950 - present: Her Royal Highness Princess Elena Princess Irina of Romania was born on 28 February 1953 in Lausanne, Switzerland. Princess Sophie/Sophia (Sofia of Romania was born on 28 October / 29 October 1957 in Tatoi, Greece, and is the fourth daughter of Princess Maria of Romania (b Hellerup, Denmark, 13 July 1964) is the youngest daughter and fifth child of Michael I (Mihai King
- Spain: Letizia, Leonor, Sofía, Elena, Cristina, Pilar and Margarita. Letizia Princess of Asturias (Letizia Ortiz Rocasolano September 15 1972, Oviedo Spain) is the wife of Felipe, the Prince of Asturias Schooling Infanta Leonor began her education at the daycare for the children of the Spanish Royal Guard. Ancestry Education She studied Basic Education at the University College ESCUNI of Madrid, graduating in 1986 with a speciality in English Philology Birth Doña Cristina was born in Madrid and was baptized at the Palacio de La Zarzuela by the Archbishop of Madrid The Infanta Doña Pilar of Spain Duchess of Badajoz (Doña María del Pilar Alfonsa Juana Victoria Luisa Ignaciade Todos los Santos de Borbón y Borbón-Dos Sicilias The Infanta Doña Margarita of Spain 2nd Duchess of Hernani Duchess of Soria ( Doña de Todos los Santos de Borbón y Borbón-Dos Sicilias) (born March 6,
- Sweden: Victoria, Madeleine, Lilian, Margaretha, Birgitta, Désirée and Christina. Education From 1985-89 the Princess began her education at Västerled Parish Pre-School Biography Early life Born in Swansea, Wales, the daughter of William and Gladys Mary Davies her first name was originally spelled Lillian Princess Margaretha Mrs Ambler (Margaretha Désirée Victoria (born 31 October 1934) was born at Haga Palace outside Stockholm. Ancestry See also Swedish Royal Family Princess Désirée Baroness Silfverschiöld (Désirée Elisabeth Sibylla (born 2 June 1938) was born at Haga Palace outside Stockholm. Princess Christina Mrs Magnuson (Christina Louise Helena (b 3 August 1943) is the sister of Carl XVI Gustaf, the current King of Sweden
- Thailand: Ubol Ratana, Bajrakitiyabha, Sirindhorn, Chulabhorn, Bejaratana, Galyani, Srirasmi and Soamsavali. Education After finishing her secondary school education the Princess left for the United States for her tertiary education Education Princess Bajrakitiyabha received a Bachelor's degree in Law from Thammasat University. Biography HRH Princess Sirindhorn born April 2, 1955, is the third child of HM King Bhumibol and HM Queen Sirikit of Thailand Education HRH Princess Chulabhorn studied Chemistry and graduated in 1979 from the Faculty of Science at Kasetsart University, with a Bachelor Biography Early life Princess Galyani Vadhana was born on 6 May 1923 in London, England, the only daughter of Prince Mahidol Adulyadej Early life Princess Srirasmi was born in Samut Sakhon Province to a family of modest means Biography On January 3 1977 at the age of 19 HRH Princess Soamsavali was married to HRH Crown Prince Maha Vajiralongkorn.
- Uganda: Elizabeth of Toro of Toro kingdom, who was the nation's first female lawyer, a former top model for couturiers, and a former minister and ambassador in the government of Idi Amin. Princess Elizabeth Christobel Edith Bagaaya Akiiki of Toro Princess Wilberforce Nyabongo (born 1936 is the Batebe of Toro and an Ugandan politician diplomat lawyer Toro is one of the four traditional kingdoms located within the borders of Uganda. A lawyer, according to Black's Law Dictionary, is "a person learned in the law as an attorney, Counsel or Solicitor; a person A minister or a secretary is a Politician who holds significant public office in a national or regional Government. An ambassador is the highest ranking Diplomat who represents their country Idi Amin Dada (mid 1920s &ndash 16 August 2003 commonly known as Idi Amin, was a Ugandan military dictator and the President of Uganda
Note: Although Bulgaria, Greece, Romania and India are Republics following the abolition of their Monarchies, these titles are granted as courtesy. Sophie Countess of Wessex ( née Rhys-Jones, born 20 January 1965 is a member of the British Royal Family, the wife of Prince Edward Earl of Wessex Princess Beatrice of York (Beatrice Elizabeth Mary born 8 August 1988 is a member of the British Royal Family. Princess Eugenie of York ( Eugenie Victoria Helena;; born 23 March 1990 is a member of the British Royal Family and a granddaughter of Queen Elizabeth II The Lady Louise Windsor (Louise Alice Elizabeth Mary born 8 November 2003 is a member of the British Royal Family. Katharine Duchess of Kent (Katharine Lucy Mary née Worsley 22 February 1933 is a member of the British Royal Family, the wife of Prince Edward Duke of Kent, Birgitte Duchess of Gloucester (Birgitte Eva (bree-gee-tae; formerly van Deurs born Henriksen 20 June 1946 is a member of the British Royal Family, the wife Princess Michael of Kent (Marie Christine née Baroness Marie Christine Agnes Hedwig Ida von Reibnitz 15 January 1945 is a member of the British Royal Family.
Other uses of the term
Widely used as a term of endearment, "princess" has also devolved in mostly American usage to mean any woman of exceptional popularity, such as the "princesses" of high school prom courts and beauty pageants. A term of endearment is a word or phrase used to address and/or describe a person or animal for which the speaker feels Love or Affection. A beauty contest or beauty pageant is a competition based mainly though not always entirely on the physical beauty of its contestants and often incorporating Personality The term can also be used disparagingly to refer to a young woman or girl perceived of as being vain or spoiled. Another variation is "Jewish Princess" which focuses on affluent, free-spending, suburban Jewish women. Jewish-American Princess or JAP is a Pejorative characterization of Jewish-American women PLEASE TAKE NOTE************
Yet another take on the rising popularity of being a "princess" is the gentleness and refined composure associated with the title. It often conjures images of elegance and self-control, and among the younger generations, is a depiction of all things feminine and lovely. In popular culture, the stereotypically ideal relationship between parents and a daughter consists of the mother and father considering their daughter to be their own "little princess. Popular culture (or pop culture) is the Culture — patterns of human activity and the symbolic structures that give such activities significance and importance — " A fictional princess typically wears a pink princess gown with ballroom shoes or in other colors.
See also The subject of the damsel in distress, or persecuted maiden is a classic theme in world literature art and film Princess and dragon is a generic premise common to many Legends and Fairy tales It is not a fairy tale itself but along with Prince Charming, is a© 2009 citizendia.org; parts available under the terms of GNU Free Documentation License, from http://en.wikipedia.org
network: | |