Oriel College, located in Oriel Square, Oxford, is the fifth oldest of the constituent colleges of the University of Oxford in England. The University of Oxford comprises 38 Colleges and 6 religious Permanent Private Halls (PPHs which are autonomous self-governing A Permanent Private Hall at the University of Oxford is an educational institution within the university &mdash not as a constituent college but able to present students for The University of Oxford (informally "Oxford University" or simply "Oxford" located in the city of Oxford, Oxfordshire, England is the This ecumenical article is about general Christian views on and veneration of the Virgin Mary Most of the colleges forming the University of Cambridge and University of Oxford are paired into sister colleges across the two universities Clare College is a college of the University of Cambridge, the second oldest surviving college after Peterhouse. Trinity College Dublin ( TCD; Irish Coláiste na Tríonóide Baile Átha Cliath; Latin: Collegium Sacrosanctae et Individuae Trinitatis Reginae Provost is the title of a senior Academic administrator at many institutions of Higher education in the United States and Canada, the equivalent Sir Derek Morris is former Chairman of the Competition Commission (formerly the Monopolies and Mergers Commission) and as of October 1 2003 In some universities in the United Kingdom — particularly collegiate universities such as Oxford, Cambridge and Durham — the academic body In some universities in the United Kingdom — particularly collegiate universities such as Oxford, Cambridge and Durham — the academic body Oxford is currently bidding for the 2010 Wikimania Conference Oxford () is a city, and the County town of Oxfordshire, A geographic coordinate system enables every location on the Earth to be specified in three coordinates using mainly a spherical coordinate system. Oriel Square, formerly known as Canterbury Square. is a square in central Oxford, England, located south of the High Street. Oxford is currently bidding for the 2010 Wikimania Conference Oxford () is a city, and the County town of Oxfordshire, The University of Oxford comprises 38 Colleges and 6 religious Permanent Private Halls (PPHs which are autonomous self-governing The University of Oxford (informally "Oxford University" or simply "Oxford" located in the city of Oxford, Oxfordshire, England is the England is a Country which is part of the United Kingdom. Its inhabitants account for more than 83% of the total UK population whilst its mainland Oriel has the distinction of being the oldest royal foundation in Oxford, a title formerly claimed by University College, whose claim of being founded by King Alfred is no longer promoted. University College (in full the The Master and Fellows of the College of the Great Hall of the University of Oxford, colloquially referred to as Univ) is one of Alfred the Great (also Ælfred from the Old English Ælfrēd ˈælfreːd (c In recognition of this royal connection, the college has also been known as King's College and King's Hall. 
The original medieval foundation set up by Adam de Brome, under the patronage of Edward II, was called the House or Hall of the Blessed Mary at Oxford. Adam de Brome (died June 16, 1332) was an Almoner to King Edward II and founder of Oriel College in Oxford, England For the play see Edward II (play. For the film see Edward II (film. This ecumenical article is about general Christian views on and veneration of the Virgin Mary  The first design allowed for a Provost and ten Fellows, called 'scholars', and the College remained a small body of graduate Fellows until the 16th century, when it started to admit undergraduates. Provost is the title of a senior Academic administrator at many institutions of Higher education in the United States and Canada, the equivalent A fellow in the broadest sense is someone who is an equal or a comrade  During the English Civil War, Oriel played host to high-ranking members of the King's Oxford Parliament. The English Civil War (1642-1651 was a series of armed conflicts and political machinations between Parliamentarians and Royalists. The Oxford Parliament (in Oxford, England) — also known as the King's Oxford Parliament — assembled for the first time 22 January 1644 
The main site of the College incorporates four medieval halls: Bedel Hall, St Mary Hall, St Martin Hall and Tackley's Inn, the last being the earliest property acquired by the college and the oldest standing medieval hall in Oxford. St Mary Hall was an academic hall of the University of Oxford dating from 1326 it survived as an independent institution until 1902 when it merged with Oriel College  The College has nearly 40 Fellows, about 300 undergraduates and some 160 graduates, the student body having roughly equal numbers of men and women. 
Oriel's notable alumni include two Nobel laureates; prominent Fellows have included John Keble and John Henry Newman, founders of the Oxford Movement. This is a list of Nobel Prize Laureates awarded for their outstanding contributions to Humanitarian causes for Peace, work in Literature John Keble ( 25 April 1792 – 29 March 1866) was an English churchman one of the leaders of the Oxford Movement, Family John Henry Newman was born in London and was the eldest son of John Newman (d The Oxford Movement or Tractarianism was an affiliation of High Church Anglicans, most of whom were members of the University of Oxford, who sought  Amongst Oriel's more notable possessions are a painting by Bernard van Orley and three pieces of medieval silver plate. Bernard van Orley (Brussels between 1487 and 1491 &ndash Brussels 6 January 1541) also called Barend van Orley, Bernaert van Orley or Barend van As of 2006, the college's estimated financial endowment was £77m. A financial endowment is a Transfer of Money or Property donated to an Institution, usually with the stipulation that it be invested The Pound Sterling ( symbol £; ISO code: GBP) subdivided into 100 pence (singular penny) is the Currency 
On 24 April 1324, the Rector of the University Church, Adam de Brome, obtained a licence from Edward II to found a "certain college of scholars studying various disciplines in honour of the Virgin" and to endow it to the value of £30 a year. Events 1479 BC - Thutmose III ascends to the throne of Egypt, although power effectively shifts to Hatshepsut (according to The University Church of St Mary the Virgin ( St Mary's or SMV for short is the largest of Oxford's parish churches and the centre from which the Adam de Brome (died June 16, 1332) was an Almoner to King Edward II and founder of Oriel College in Oxford, England For the play see Edward II (play. For the film see Edward II (film.  De Brome bought two properties in 1324, Tackley's Hall, on the south side of the High Street and Perilous Hall, on the north side of Broad Street, and as an investment, he purchased the advowson of a church in Aberford. The High Street in Oxford, England runs between Carfax, generally recognized as Broad Street is a wide street in Oxford, England. It is famous for its bookshops including the original Blackwell's bookshop at number 50 For the process for appointing a parish priest in the Church of England see Parish. Aberford is a large Village and Civil parish on the eastern outskirts of the City of Leeds Metropolitan borough in West Yorkshire
De Brome's foundation was confirmed in a charter of 21 January 1326, in which the Crown, represented by the Lord Chancellor, was to exercise the rights of Visitor; a further charter drawn up in May of that year gave the rights of Visitor to Henry Burghersh, Bishop of Lincoln, Oxford at that time being part of the diocese of Lincoln. Events 1189 - Philip II of France and Richard I of England begin to assemble troops to wage the Third Crusade. The Lord High Chancellor of Great Britain, or Lord Chancellor is a senior and important functionary in the Government of the United Kingdom. For the Catholic equivalent see Canonical visitation, and for other uses see Visitor (disambiguation A Visitor, in United Henry Burghersh (1292 &ndash December 4, 1340) English Bishop and chancellor was a younger son of Robert de Burghersh 1st Baron See also List of bishops of Lincoln and precursor offices The Bishop of Lincoln heads the ( Anglican) The Diocese of Lincoln forms part of the Province of Canterbury in England. Under Edward's patronage, de Brome diverted the revenue of the University Church to his college, which thereafter was responsible for appointing the vicar and providing four chaplains to celebrate the daily services in the church.  The college lost no time in seeking royal favour again after Edward II's deposition, and Edward III confirmed his father's favour in February 1327, but the amended statutes remained in force with the Bishop of Lincoln as Visitor. Edward III (13 November 1312 &ndash 21 June 1377 was one of the most successful English monarchs of the Middle Ages.  In 1329, the college received through royal grant a large house belonging to the crown, known as La Oriole, standing on the site of what is now First quad; it is from this property that the college acquired its common name, "Oriel", the name being in use from about 1349. The word referred to an oratoriolum, or oriel window, forming a feature of the earlier property. Oriel windows are a form of Bay window commonly found in Gothic revival Architecture, which jut out from the main wall of the building but do not reach 
In the early 1410s several Fellows of Oriel took part in the disturbances accompanying Archbishop Arundel's attempt to stamp out Lollardy in the University; the Lollard belief that religious power and authority came through piety and not through the hierarchy of the Church particularly inflamed passions in Oxford, where its proponent, John Wycliffe, had been head of Balliol. Thomas Arundel (1353 - 19 February 1414 was Archbishop of Canterbury in 1397 and from 1399 until his death an outspoken opponent of the Lollards Lollardy was the political and religious movement of the Lollards from the mid- 14th century to the English Reformation. In spiritual terminology piety is a Virtue. While different people may understand its meaning differently it is generally used to refer either to religious devotion John Wycliffe (ˈwɪklɪf also spelled Wyclif, Wycliff, Wiclef, Wicliffe, or Wickliffe) (mid-1320s – 31 December Balliol College (ˈbeɪlɪəl founded in 1263 is one of the constituent colleges of the University of Oxford in England. Disregarding the Provost's authority, Oriel Fellows fought bloody battles with other scholars, killed one of the Chancellor's servants when they attacked his house, and were prominent among the group that obstructed the Archbishop and ridiculed his censures. A Chancellor is the head of a University. Other titles are sometimes used such as President or Rector. 
In 1442, Henry VI sanctioned an arrangement whereby the town was to pay the college £25 a year from the fee farm in exchange for decayed property, allegedly worth £30 a year, which the college could not afford to keep in repair. Henry VI (6 December 1421 &ndash 21 May 1471 was King of England 1422–1461 (though with a Regent until 1437 and then 1470–1471 and a claimant to the kingdom The arrangement was cancelled in 1450. 
In 1643 a general obligation was imposed on Oxford colleges to support the Royalist cause in the English Civil War, the King called for Oriel's plate and almost all of it was given, the total weighing 29 lb. Cavalier was the name used by Parliamentarians for a Royalist supporter of King Charles I during the English Civil War ( 1642 &ndash 1651 The First English Civil War (1642–1646 was the first of three wars known as the English Civil War (or "Wars" 0 oz. 5 dwt. of gilt, and 52 lb. 7 oz. 14 dwt. of "white" plate. In the same year the College was assessed at £1 for the weekly sum of £40 charged on the colleges and halls for the fortification of the city.  When the Oxford Parliament was assembled during the Civil War in 1644, Oriel housed the Executive Committee of the Privy council, Parliament being held at neighbouring Christ Church. The Oxford Parliament (in Oxford, England) — also known as the King's Oxford Parliament — assembled for the first time 22 January 1644 A privy council is a body that advises the Head of state of a nation on how to exercise their executive authority, typically but not always in the context of a Not to be confused with Christchurch, a city in New Zealand. Christ Church (Ædes Christi the temple or house of Christ and thus sometimes known as  Following the defeat of the Royalist cause, the University was scrutinised by the Parliamentarians, and five of the eighteen Oriel Fellows were removed. The Visitors, using their own authority, elected Fellows between 1648 and October 1652, when without reference to the Commissioners, John Washbourne was chosen; the autonomy of the College in this respect seems to have been restored. 
In 1673 James Davenant, a Fellow since 1661, complained to William Fuller, then Bishop of Lincoln, about Provost Say's conduct in the election of Thomas Twitty to a Fellowship. William Fuller (1608-1675 dean of St Patrick's Cathedral Dublin (1660 Bishop of Limerick (1663 and Bishop of Lincoln (1667 the friend of Samuel Bishop Fuller appointed a commission that included the Vice-Chancellor, Peter Mews, the Dean of Christ Church, John Fell, and the Principal of Brasenose, Thomas Yates. A Vice-Chancellor (commonly called the VC) of a University in England, Wales, Northern Ireland, New Zealand, Peter Mews ( March 25, 1619 - November 9, 1706) English royalist and divine was born at Caundle Purse John Fell ( June 23, 1625 – July 10, 1686) served as Dean of Christ Church, Oxford, and later concomitantly Brasenose College, originally Brazen Nose College (in full The King's Hall and College of Brasenose, often referred to by the abbreviation BNC On 1 August Fell reported to the Bishop that;
When this Devil of buying and selling is once cast out, your Lordship will, I hope, take care that he return not again, lest he bring seven worse than himself into the house after 'tis swept and garnisht. Events 30 BC - Octavian (later known as Augustus enters Alexandria, Egypt, bringing it under the control of the Roman
On 24 January 1674, Bishop Fuller issued a decree dealing with the recommendations of the commissioners — a majority of all the Fellows should always be insisted on, so the Provost could not push an election in a thin meeting, and Fellows should be admitted immediately after their election. Events 41 - Gaius Caesar (Caligula, known for his eccentricity and cruel Despotism, is Assassinated by his disgruntled On 28 January Provost Say obtained a recommendation for Twitty's election from the King, but it was withdrawn on 13 February, following the Vice-Chancellor's refusal to swear Twitty into the University and the Bishop's protests at Court. Events 1077 - Walk to Canossa: The Excommunication of Henry IV Holy Roman Emperor is lifted Events 1258 - Baghdad falls to the Mongols, and the Abbasid Caliphate is destroyed 
During the early 1720s, a constitutional struggle began between the Provost and the Fellows, culminating in a lawsuit. In 1721, Henry Edmunds was elected as a Fellow by 9 votes to 3; his election was rejected by Provost George Carter, and on appeal, by the Visitor, Edmund Gibson, then Bishop of Lincoln. Edmund Gibson ( 1669 - 6 September 1748) was an English divine and jurist born in Bampton, Westmorland. Rejections of candidates by the Provost continued, fuelling discontent amongst the Fellows, until a writ of attachment against the Bishop of Lincoln was heard between 1724 and 1726. A writ of attachment is a Court order to 'attach' or seize an asset The opposing Fellows, led by Edmunds, appealed to the first set of statutes, claiming the Crown as Visitor, making Gibson's decisions invalid; Provost Carter, supported by Bishop Gibson, appealed to the second set, claiming the Bishop of Lincoln as Visitor. The jury decided for the Fellows, supporting the original charter of Edward II. 
In a private printing of 1899 Provost Shadwell lists thirteen Gaudies observed by the College during the 18th century; by the end of the 19th century all but two, the Feast of the Immaculate Conception and the Purification of the Virgin, had ceased to be celebrated. The Feast of the Immaculate Conception celebrates the Roman Catholic Dogma of the Immaculate Conception of the Blessed Virgin Mary. The Feast of the Presentation of Jesus at the Temple celebrates an early episode in the life of Jesus, and falls on or around 2 February. 
In the early 19th century, the reforming zeal of Provosts John Eveleigh and Edward Copleston gained Oriel the reputation of being the most brilliant college of the day and the centre of the "Oriel Noetics" — clerical liberals such as Richard Whately and Thomas Arnold were Fellows, and the during the 1830s, two intellectually eminent Fellows of Oriel, John Keble and John Henry Newman, supported by Canon Pusey of Christ Church and others, formed a group known as the Oxford Movement, alternatively as the Tractarians, or familiarly as the Puseyites. Edward Copleston (1776- 14 August 1849 English bishop was born at Offwell in Devon, England and educated at Oxford University. Noetic theory (from Greek word noûs) is a branch of metaphysical Philosophy concerned with the study of nature the operation of Intellect Richard Whately ( 1 February 1787 – 8 October 1863) was an English Logician and theological writer who also Thomas Arnold ( 13 June 1795 &ndash 12 June 1842) was a British schoolmaster and historian head of Rugby School from 1828 John Keble ( 25 April 1792 – 29 March 1866) was an English churchman one of the leaders of the Oxford Movement, Family John Henry Newman was born in London and was the eldest son of John Newman (d Edward Bouverie Pusey ( 22 August 1800 - 16 September, 1882) was an English churchman and Regius Professor of Hebrew Not to be confused with Christchurch, a city in New Zealand. Christ Church (Ædes Christi the temple or house of Christ and thus sometimes known as The Oxford Movement or Tractarianism was an affiliation of High Church Anglicans, most of whom were members of the University of Oxford, who sought The group were disgusted by the indolence prevailing in the Church, and they sought to revive the spirit of early Christianity, this caused tension in College as Provost Edward Hawkins was a determined opponent of the Movement. Laziness (also called indolence) is the lack of desire to perform work or expend effort Early Christianity is commonly defined as the Christianity of the three centuries between the Crucifixion of Jesus ( c 
During World War I, a wall was built dividing Third quad from Second quad to accommodate students of Somerville College, while their college was being used as a military hospital. Photogravure is an intaglio Printmaking process initially developed in the 1830s by Henry Fox Talbot in England and Nicéphore Niépce in World War I (abbreviated WWI; also known as the First World War, the Great War, and the War to End All Somerville College is one of the constituent colleges of the University of Oxford in England, and was one of the first Women's colleges to At this time Oxford separated male and female students as far as possible; Vera Brittain, one of the Somerville students, recalled an amusing occurrence during her time there in her autobiography, Testament of Youth;
[. Vera Mary Brittain ( 29 December 1893 – 29 March 1970) was an English writer feminist and pacifist best remembered as the Testament of Youth is the first installment covering 1913–1925 in the Autobiography of Vera Brittain. . . ] the few remaining undergraduates in the still masculine section of Oriel not unnaturally concluded that it would be a first-rate "rag" to break down the wall which divided them from the carefully guarded young females in St. Mary Hall. Great perturbation filled the souls of the Somerville dons when they came down to breakfast one morning to find that a large gap had suddenly appeared in the protecting masonry, through which had been thrust a hilarious placard:
"'OO MADE THIS 'ERE 'OLE?"
Throughout that day and the following night the Senior Common Room, from the Principal downwards, took it in turns to sit on guard beside the hole, for fear any unruly spirit should escape through it to the forbidden adventurous males on the other side. In some universities in the United Kingdom — particularly collegiate universities such as Oxford, Cambridge and Durham — the academic body 
In 1985, the college became the last all-male college in Oxford to admit women for matriculation as undergraduates. In 1984, the Senior Common Room voted 23-4 to admit women undergraduates from 1986. The Junior Common Room president believed that "the distinctive character of the college will be undermined". 
A second Feast Day was added in 2007 by a benefaction from Orielensis George Moody, to be celebrated on or near St George's Day (23 April). St George's Day is celebrated by several nations kingdoms countries and cities of which Saint George is the Patron saint, including England, the The only remaining gaudy had been Candlemas, the new annual dinner will be known as the St. George's Day Gaudy. The dinner is black tie and gowns, and by request of the benefactor, the main course will normally be goose.  The inaugural event took place on Wednesday 25 April 2007.
Nothing survives of the original buildings, La Oriole and the smaller St Martin's Hall in the south-east; both were demolished before the quadrangle was built in the artisan mannerist style during the 17th century. In Architecture, a quadrangle is a space or courtyard usually square or rectangular in plan the sides of which are entirely or mainly occupied by parts of a large building Mannerism is a period of European art which emerged from the later years of the Italian High Renaissance around 1520. The south and west ranges and the gate tower were built around 1620 to 1622; the north and east ranges and the chapel buildings date from 1637 to 1642.  The façade of the east range forms a classical E shape comprising the college chapel, hall and undercroft. An undercroft is traditionally a cellar or storage room often brick-lined and vaulted, and used for storage in buildings since Medieval times The exterior and interior of the ranges are topped by an alternating pattern of decorative gables. A gable is the generally triangular portion of a wall between the edges of a sloping roof The gate house has a Perp portal and canted Gothic oriel windows, with fan vaulting in the entrance. See also Gothic art Gothic architecture is a style of Architecture which flourished during the high and late medieval period. The room above has a particularly fine plaster ceiling and chimneypiece of stucco caryatids and panelling interlaced with studded bands sprouting into large flowers. Stucco or render is a material made of an aggregate, a binder, and water Origins The origins of the term are unclear It is first recorded in the Latin form caryatides by the Roman architect Vitruvius. 
In the centre of the East range, the portico of the hall entrance commemorates its construction during the reign of Charles I with the legend "REGNANTE CAROLO", in the reign of Charles, in pierced stonework. A portico is a Porch that is leading to the entrance of a building or extended as a Colonnade, with a roof structure over a walkway supported by Columns Charles I, (19 November 1600 &ndash 30 January 1649 was King of England, Scotland and Ireland from 27 March 1625 until his execution. The portico was completely rebuilt in 1897, and above it are statues of two Kings: Edward II on the left, and probably either Charles I or James I, although this is disputed; above those is a statue of the Blessed Virgin Mary after whom the College is officially named. James VI and I (19 June 1566 – 27 March 1625 was King of Scotland as James VI, and King of England and King of Ireland as James This ecumenical article is about general Christian views on and veneration of the Virgin Mary  The top breaks the Jacobean tradition and has classical pilasters, a shield with garlands, and a segmental pediment. The Jacobean style is the name given to the second phase of Renaissance Architecture in England, following the Elizabethan style. A classical order is one of the ancient styles of building design in the classical tradition, distinguished by their proportions and their characteristic profiles and details A pilaster is a slightly-projecting flattened Column built into or applied to the face of a wall A pediment is a classical architectural element consisting of the triangular section found above the horizontal structure ( Entablature) typically supported by 
The hall has a hammerbeam roof; the louvre in the centre is now glazed, but was originally the only means of escape for smoke rising from a fireplace in the centre of the floor. Hammerbeam roof, in Architecture, the name given to a Gothic open Timber Roof, of which the finest example is that over Westminster Glazing is a transparent part of a Wall, usually made of Glass or Plastic ( acrylic and Polycarbonate) The wooden panelling was designed by Ninian Comper and was erected in 1911 in place of some previous 19th-century Gothic type, though even earlier panelling, dating from 1710, is evident in the Buttery. Sir John Ninian Comper, ( June 10, 1864 – December 22, 1960) was a Scottish Architect. The Gothic Revival is an architectural movement which began
Behind the High Table is a portrait of Edward II; underneath is a longsword brought to the college in 1902 after being preserved for many years on one of the college's estates at Swainswick, near Bath. The Longsword is a type of European Sword used during the Late medieval and Renaissance periods approximately 1350 to 1550 (with early and late use reaching Swainswick is a small village and civil parish three miles north east of Bath, on the A46 in the Bath and North East Somerset unitary authority Somerset Bath is a city in Somerset in the south west of England It is situated west of London and south-east of Bristol. On either side are portraits of Sir Walter Raleigh and Joseph Butler. Sir Walter Raleigh or Ralegh (c 1552 – 29 October 1618 was a famed English writer Poet, Soldier, Courtier and Explorer You might also be looking for Joseph G Butler Jr, a philanthropist and historian or Joseph Campbell Butler, founding member of The Lovin' Spoonful The other portraits around the hall include other prominent members of Oriel such as Cecil Rhodes, Matthew Arnold, Thomas Arnold, James Anthony Froude, John Keble, John Henry Newman, Richard Whately and John Robinson. Cecil John Rhodes, PC DCL (5 July 1853 &ndash 26 March 1902 was an English -born Businessman mining Magnate, and Politician Matthew Arnold (24 December 1822 &ndash 15 April 1888 was an English Poet, and Cultural critic who worked as an inspector of schools Thomas Arnold ( 13 June 1795 &ndash 12 June 1842) was a British schoolmaster and historian head of Rugby School from 1828 James Anthony Froude (Froude rhymes with rood) (23 April 1818 &ndash 20 October 1894 was a controversial English Historian, Novelist, John Keble ( 25 April 1792 – 29 March 1866) was an English churchman one of the leaders of the Oxford Movement, Family John Henry Newman was born in London and was the eldest son of John Newman (d Richard Whately ( 1 February 1787 – 8 October 1863) was an English Logician and theological writer who also
The heraldic glass in the windows display the coats of arms of benefactors and distinguished members of the College; three of the windows were designed by Ninian Comper. For the Blackford Oakes novel see Stained Glass (novel The term stained glass refers either to the material of coloured Glass or to the art A coat of arms or armorial bearings (often just arms for short in European tradition is a design belonging to a particular person (or group of people  The window next to the entrance on the East side contains the arms of Regius Professors of Modern History who have been ex-officio Fellows of the College. The Regius Professor of Modern History at the University of Oxford is an old-established professorial position C D E 
The current chapel is Oriel's third, the first being built around 1373 on the north side of the front quadrangle. By 1566, the chapel was located on the south side of the quadrangle, as shown in a drawing made for Elizabeth I's visit to Oxford in that year. The present building was consecrated in 1642 and despite subsequent restorations it largely retains its original appearance.
The bronze lectern was given to the College in 1654. The black and white marble paving dates from 1677–78. Except for the pews on the west, dating from 1884, the panelling, stalls and screens are all 17th-century, as are the altar and carved communion rails. A pew is a long bench used for seating members of a church 's congregation Altar rails are a set of railings sometimes ornate and frequently of marble or wood delimiting the Sanctuary in a church the part that contains the Altar. Behind the altar is Bernard van Orley's The Carrying of the Cross — a companion-piece to this painting is in the National Gallery of Scotland. Bernard van Orley (Brussels between 1487 and 1491 &ndash Brussels 6 January 1541) also called Barend van Orley, Bernaert van Orley or Barend van Stations of the Cross (or Way of the Cross; in Latin, Via Crucis; also called the Via Dolorosa or Way of Sorrows, or simply The National Gallery of Scotland, in Edinburgh, is the national Art gallery of Scotland. The organ case dates from 1716; originally designed by Christopher Schreider for St Mary Abbots Church, Kensington, it was acquired by Oriel in 1884. 
In the north-west window of the gallery there is a small piece of late medieval glass, a figure of St Margaret of Antioch. The Late Middle Ages is a term used by historians to describe European history in the period of the 14th and 15th centuries (AD 1300–1499 Saint Margaret,also known as Margaret of Antioch (in Pisidia) virgin and Martyr, is celebrated by the Roman Catholic and Anglican In the south window of the gallery there is a painted window of "The Presentation of Christ in the Temple", executed by William Peckitt of York. The Feast of the Presentation of Jesus at the Temple celebrates an early episode in the life of Jesus, and falls on or around 2 February. William Peckitt (1731 – 14 October[[ 1795]] was an English glass-painter and Stained glass maker It was originally set in the east window in 1767; a later version of his work can be seen in New College Chapel. New College is one of the constituent colleges of the University of Oxford in the United Kingdom. The rest of the stained glass is Victorian: the earliest is on the easternmost part of the south side; the rest date from after the 1884 restorations by Powell. For the Blackford Oakes novel see Stained Glass (novel The term stained glass refers either to the material of coloured Glass or to the art Culture The Victorian fascination with novelty resulted in a deep interest in the relationship between modernity and cultural continuities
Above the entrance to the chapel is an oriel that, until the 1880s, was a room on the first floor that formed part of a set of rooms that were occupied by Richard Whately, and later by John Newman. Richard Whately ( 1 February 1787 – 8 October 1863) was an English Logician and theological writer who also Family John Henry Newman was born in London and was the eldest son of John Newman (d Whately is said to have used the space as a larder and Newman is said to have used it for his private prayers — when the organ was installed in 1884, the space was used for the blower. The wall that once separated the room from the ante-chapel was removed, making it accessible from the chapel. Ante-chapel is the term given to that portion of a Chapel which lies on the western side of the Choir screen. The organ was built by J. W. Walker & Sons in 1988; in 1991 the space behind the organ was rebuilt as an oratory and memorial to Newman and the Oxford Movement. The Oxford Movement or Tractarianism was an affiliation of High Church Anglicans, most of whom were members of the University of Oxford, who sought A new stained glass window designed by Vivienne Haig and realised by Douglas Hogg was completed and installed in 2001.
During the late 1980s, the chapel was extensively restored with the assistance of donations from Lady Norma Dalrymple-Champneys. During this work, the chandelier, given in 1885 by Provost Shadwell while still a Fellow, was put back in place, the organ was restored, the painting mounted behind the altar, and the chapel repainted. A list of former chaplains and organ scholars was erected in the ante-chapel. 
Originally a garden, the demand for more accommodation for undergraduates in the early 18th century resulted in two free-standing blocks being built. The first block erected was the Robinson Building on the east side, built in 1720 by Bishop Robinson at the suggestion of his wife, as the inscription over the door records. Its twin block, the Carter Building, was erected on the west side in 1729, as a result of a benefaction by Provost Carter. The two buildings stood for nearly a hundred years as detached blocks in the garden, and the architectural elements of the First quad are repeated on them — only here the seven gables are all alike. Between 1817 and 1819, they were joined up to the Front quad with their present, rather incongruous connecting links. In the link to the Robinson Building, two purpose-built rooms have been incorporated - the Champneys Room, designed by Weldon Champneys, the nephew of Basil Champneys, and the Benefactors Room, a panelled room honouring benefactors of the college. Basil Champneys ( September 17, 1842 – April 5, 1935) was an architect and author whose more notable buildings include Newnham College Cambridge A Gothic oriel window, belonging to the Provost's Lodgings, was added to the Carter Building in 1826. 
The north range houses the library and senior common rooms; designed in the Neoclassical style by James Wyatt, it was built between 1788 and 1796 to accommodate the books bequested by Edward, Baron Leigh, formerly High Steward of the University and an Orielensis, whose gift had doubled the size of the library. Neoclassical architecture was an architectural style produced by the neoclassical movement that began in the mid-18th century both as a reaction against the Rococo This article refers to the English Architect. For the Game designer, see James Wyatt (game designer. Edward Leigh 5th Baron Leigh (1742 – 1786 was descended from Thomas Leigh Lord Mayor of London in 1558 and inherited the Leigh family seat at Stoneleigh Abbey Stoneleigh  The two-story building has rusticated arches on the ground floor and a row of Ionic columns above, dividing the façade into seven bays — the ground floor contains the first purpose built senior common rooms in Oxford, above is the library. Rustication is an architectural term that contrasts with Ashlar, smoothly finished squared block masonry surfaces The Ionic order column forms one of the three '''orders''' or '''organizational systems''' of Classical architecture, the other two canonic orders being the 
On 7 March 1949, a fire spread from the library roof; over 300 printed books and the manuscripts on exhibition were completely destroyed, and over 3,000 books needed repair, though the main structure suffered little damage and restoration took less than a year. Events 161 - Roman Emperor Antoninus Pius dies and is succeeded by co-Emperors Marcus Aurelius and Lucius Verus Year 1949 ( MCMXLIX) was a Common year starting on Saturday (link will display the full calendar of the Gregorian calendar. 
The south, east and west ranges of third quadrangle contain elements of St Mary Hall, which was incorporated into Oriel in 1902; less than a decade later, the Hall's buildings on the northern side were demolished for the construction of the Rhodes Building. St Mary Hall was an academic hall of the University of Oxford dating from 1326 it survived as an independent institution until 1902 when it merged with Oriel College Bedel Hall in the south was formally amalgamated with St Mary Hall in 1505.
In the south range, parts of the medieval buildings survive and are incorporated into staircase ten — the straight, steep flight of stairs and timber framed partitions date from a mid-15th century rebuilding of St Mary Hall. The former Chapel, Hall and Buttery of St Mary Hall, built in 1640, form part of the Junior Library and Junior Common Room. Viewed from the third quad, the Chapel, with its Gothic windows, can be seen to have been built neatly on top of the Hall, a unique example in Oxford of such a plan.
On the east side of the quad is a simple rustic style timber-frame building; known as the "the Dolls House", it was erected by Principal King in 1743.
In 1826 an ornate range was erected in the Gothic Revival style, incorporating the old gate of St Mary Hall, on the west side of the quad. The Gothic Revival is an architectural movement which began Designed by Daniel Robertson, it contains two quite ornate oriels placed asymmetrically, one is of six lights, the other four. They are the best example of the pre-archeological Gothic in Oxford.  The large oriel on the first floor at the north end was once the drawing room of the Principal of Hall. Parts of the street wall incorporated into this range show traces of blocked windows dating from the same period of rebuilding in the 15th century as staircase ten. 
The Rhodes Building, pictured right, was built in 1911 using £100,000 left to the College for that purpose by former student Cecil Rhodes. Cecil John Rhodes, PC DCL (5 July 1853 &ndash 26 March 1902 was an English -born Businessman mining Magnate, and Politician The High Street in Oxford, England runs between Carfax, generally recognized as Cecil John Rhodes, PC DCL (5 July 1853 &ndash 26 March 1902 was an English -born Businessman mining Magnate, and Politician  It was designed by Basil Champneys and stands on the site of the Principal's house, on the High Street. Basil Champneys ( September 17, 1842 – April 5, 1935) was an architect and author whose more notable buildings include Newnham College Cambridge Champney's first proposal for the building included an open arcade to the High Street, a domed central feature and balustraded parapet. An arcade is a passage or walkway covered over by a succession of Arches or vaults supported by columns A dome is a common structural element of Architecture that resembles the hollow upper half of a Sphere. A baluster (according to OED derived through the French balustre, from Italian balaustro, from balaustra, "pomegranate flower" A parapet is a wall-like barrier at the edge of a Roof or structure. The left hand block and much of the centre was to be given up to a new Provost's Lodging, and the five windows on the first floor above the arcade were to light a gallery belonging to the Lodging. The college eventually decided to retain the existing Provost's Lodging and demanded detailing "more in accordance with the style which has become traditional in Oxford". It became the last building of the Jacobean revival style in Oxford. Jacobethan is the style designation coined in 1933 by John Betjeman to describe the English Revival style made popular from the 1830s which derived most of its inspiration  On the side facing the High Street, there is a statue of Rhodes over the main entrance, with Edward VII and George V beneath. The inscription reads: "e Larga MUnIfICentIa CaeCILII rhoDes", which, as well as acknowledging Rhodes' munificence, is a chronogram giving the date of construction, MDCCCLLVIIIIII. Chronogram is also a magazine published in the Hudson Valley of New York featuring politics and art The building was not entirely well received; William Sherwood, Mayor of Oxford and Master of Magdalen College School, wrote:
Oriel [has] broken out into the High, . Magdalen College School is an independent school for boys located in Oxford, England. . . destroying a most picturesque group of old houses in so doing, and, to put it gently, hardly compensating us for their removal. 
A convex quadrilateral of buildings, bordered by the High Street, and the meeting of Oriel Street and King Edward Street in Oriel Square. In Geometry, a quadrilateral is a Polygon with four sides or edges and four vertices or corners. The High Street in Oxford, England runs between Carfax, generally recognized as Oriel Street is a narrow but historic street running between the High Street to the north and Oriel Square to the south in central Oxford, England King Edward Street is a street running between the High Street to the north and Oriel Square to the south in central Oxford, England. Oriel Square, formerly known as Canterbury Square. is a square in central Oxford, England, located south of the High Street. The site took six hundred years to acquire and although it contains teaching rooms and the Harris Lecture Theatre, it is largely given over to accommodation.
On the High Street, No. High Street, or the High Street, is a Metonym for the generic name (and frequently the official name of the primary Business street 106 and 107 stand on the site of Tackley's Inn; built around 1295, it was the first piece of property that Adam de Brome acquired when he began to found the college in 1324.  It comprised a hall and chambers leased to scholars, behind a frontage of five shops, with the scholars above and a cellar of five bays below. The hall, which was open to the roof, was 33 feet (10 m) long, 20 feet (6 m) wide, and about 22 feet (7 m) high; at the east end was a large chamber with another chamber above it. The south wall of the building, which survives, was partly of stone and contains a large two-light early 14th-century window. The cellar below is of the same date and is the best preserved medieval cellar in Oxford; originally entered by stone steps from the street, it has a stone vault divided into four sections by two diagonal ribs, with carved corbels. A Vault (French voute Italian volta German Gewölbe Polish sklepienie, Spanish In Architecture a corbel (or console) is a piece of stone jutting out of a wall to carry any superincumbent weight 
The Oriel Street site was acquired between 1329 and 1392. Oriel Street is a narrow but historic street running between the High Street to the north and Oriel Square to the south in central Oxford, England  No. 12, now staircases 19 and 20, is the oldest tenement acquired by the college; known as Kylyngworth's, it was granted to the college in 1392 by Thomas de Lentwardyn, Fellow and later Provost, having previously been let to William de Daventre, Oriel's fourth Provost, in 1367. A back wing to the property was added around 1600 and further work to the front was conducted in 1724–38.  In 1985, funded by a gift from Edgar O'Brien and £10,000 from the Pilgrim Trust, Kylyngworth's was refurbished along with Nos. The Pilgrim Trust is a London -based charitable trust It was founded in 1930 by a two million pound grant by Edward Harkness, the American philanthropist 10, 9 and 7.
King Edward Street was created by the college between 1872 and 1873 when 109 and 110 High Street were demolished. King Edward Street is a street running between the High Street to the north and Oriel Square to the south in central Oxford, England. The old shops on each side of the road were pulled down and rebuilt, and to preserve the continuity, the new shops were numbered 108 and 109–112. Named after the college's founder, the road was opened in 1873.  On the wall of the first floor of No. 6, there is a large metal plaque with a portrait of Cecil Rhodes; underneath is the inscription:
In this house, the Rt. Hon Cecil John Rhodes kept academical residence in the year 1881. This memorial is erected by Alfred Mosely in recognition of the great services rendered by Cecil Rhodes to his country. 
In the centre of the quad is the Harris Building, formerly Oriel court, a real tennis court where Charles I played tennis with his nephew Prince Rupert in December 1642 and King Edward VII had his first tennis lesson in 1859. In Oriel Square, Oxford, England, the remains of a Real tennis court can be recognised Real tennis is the original racquet sport from which the modern game of lawn tennis or Tennis, is descended Charles I, (19 November 1600 &ndash 30 January 1649 was King of England, Scotland and Ireland from 27 March 1625 until his execution. Rupert Count Palatine of the Rhine Duke of Bavaria (German Ruprecht Pfalzgraf bei Rhein Herzog von Bayern) commonly called Prince Rupert of the Rhine, (17 The building was in use as a lecture hall by 1923, and after modernisation between 1991 and 1994, funded by Sir Philip and Lady Harris, contains accommodation, a seminar room and the college's main lecture theatre. Philip Charles Harris Baron Harris of Peckham (born 15 September in Peckham South London 1942 is a Conservative member of the House of Lords The bronze plaque in the lobby commemorates Sir Philip's father, Captain Charles William Harris, after whom the building is named. The building was opened by John Major, then Prime Minister, on 10 August 1993. Sir John Major KG CH ACIB (born 29 March 1943 is a British Politician who was Prime Minister of the United Kingdom The Prime Minister of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland is the political leader of the United Kingdom Events 612 BC - Killing of Sinsharishkun, King of Assyrian Empire Year 1993 ( MCMXCIII) was a Common year starting on Friday (link will display full 1993 Gregorian calendar) 
Bordered by the Cowley Road, this site was formerly Nazareth House, a residential care home convent — Goldie Wing (shown left), Larmenier House and neighbouring cottages on Rectory Road are its surviving buildings. Cowley Road is an arterial road in the city of Oxford, England, following a south-easterly route from the city centre at The Plain roundabout near An abbey (from Latin abbatia derived from Syriac abba "father" is a Christian Monastery or Nazareth House itself was demolished to make room for two purpose-built halls of residence, James Mellon Hall (shown right) and David Paterson House. The two new halls were opened by Queen Elizabeth II on 8 November 2000. For the ship see RMS Queen Elizabeth 2 Elizabeth II (Elizabeth Alexandra Mary Context States headed by Elizabeth II Events 1519 - Hernán Cortés enters Tenochtitlán and Aztec ruler Moctezuma welcomes him with great a Celebration 2000 ( MM) was a Leap year that started on Saturday of the Common Era, in accordance with the Gregorian calendar. 
As it is about ten minutes walk from College and more peaceful than the middle of the city, it has become the principal choice of accommodation for Oriel's graduates and finalists.  The site has its own common rooms, squash court, gymnasium and support staff. Squash is a racquet sport that was formerly called squash racquets, a reference to the "squashable" soft ball used in the game (compared with the The word γυμνάσιον (gymnasion was used in Ancient Greece, meaning a locality for both physical and intellectual Education of young men (see Gymnasium
Bartlemas is a conservation area that incorporates the remaining buildings of a leper hospital founded by Henry I; it includes the sports grounds for Oriel, Jesus and Lincoln Colleges, along with landscaping for wildlife and small scale urban development. Henry I (c 1068/1069 – 1 December 1135) was the fourth son of William I the Conqueror, the first King of England after the Norman Jesus College (in full Jesus College in the University of Oxford of Queen Elizabeth's Foundation) is one of the constituent colleges of the University of Lincoln College (in full The College of the Blessed Mary and All Saints Lincoln) is one of the constituent colleges of the University of Oxford
In 1326 Provost Adam de Brome was appointed warden of St Bartholomew's; a leper hospital in Cowley Marsh, the hospital was later granted to the college by Edward III, along with the payments it had been receiving from the fee farm. Cowley in Oxford, England, is a residential and industrial area that forms a small conurbation within greater Oxford Edward III (13 November 1312 &ndash 21 June 1377 was one of the most successful English monarchs of the Middle Ages. It was increasingly used as a rest house for sick members of the college needing a change of air.  In 1649 the college rebuilt the main hospital range north of the chapel, destroyed in the Civil War, as a row of four almshouses, called Bartlemas House. Almshouses are charitable Housing provided to enable people (typically elderly people who can no longer work to earn enough to pay  Bartlemas Chapel and two farm cottages are the other extant buildings. St Bartholomew's Chapel, or Bartlemas Chapel, is a small early 14th century Chapel, built as part of a leper hospital in Oxford, England
In heraldic terminology: Gules, three lions passant guardant or within a bordure engrailed argent
The arms of the College are based on those of the founder Edward II, the three gold lions of England on a red background. Heraldry in its most general sense encompasses all matters relating to the duties and responsibilities of officers of arms. For the play see Edward II (play. For the film see Edward II (film. However, as no one may bear another's arms unaltered, an engrailed silver border was added "for difference".
The three feathers, often adopted by members of the College, can be found in decorations around college and is the motif on the college crested tie. The Prince of Wales's feathers is the Heraldic badge of the Prince of Wales. It probably represents Edward, the Black Prince, although it may represent King Charles I, who was Prince of Wales when the building of First quad began in the 17th century. Edward of Woodstock, Prince of Wales, KG (15 June 1330 – 8 June 1376 popularly known as The Black Prince, was the eldest son of King Edward Charles I, (19 November 1600 &ndash 30 January 1649 was King of England, Scotland and Ireland from 27 March 1625 until his execution. Prince of Wales (Tywysog Cymru is a title traditionally granted to the Heir Apparent to the reigning monarch of the United Kingdom (and formerly the Kingdom 
College colours, used on the college scarf, sports clothing, oar blades and the like, are two white stripes on navy. School colors are the Colors chosen by a School to represent it on uniforms and other items of identification In rowing, oars are used to propel the boat Oars differ from Paddles in that they use a fixed Fulcrum to transfer power from the handle to the blade
Before formal Hall each evening, the following Latin grace is recited by one of the student bible clerks. Formal Hall or Formal Meal is the traditional meal held at some of the older universities in the United Kingdom at which students dress in Formal attire The translation is reputedly by Erasmus in his Convivium Religiosum of a grace recorded by St John Chrysostom:
Benedicte Deus, qui pascis nos a juventute nostra et praebes cibum omni carni, reple gaudio et laetitia corda nostra ut nos affatim quod satis est habentes abundemus in omne opus bonum, per Jesum Christum Dominum nostrum, cui, tecum et Spiritu Sancto, sit omnis honos, laus et imperium, in saecula saeculorum. This article refers to the Christian saint For other uses of the name see Chrysostomos.
Blessed God, who feeds us from our youth and provides food for all flesh, fill our hearts with joy and gladness, that we, having enough to satisfy us, may abound in every good work. Through Jesus Christ our Lord, to whom with You and the Holy Spirit, be all honour, praise, and power for all ages.
After the meal, the Provost, or a Fellow, usually recites a short Latin prayer [Benedicto benedicatur, per Jesum Christum, Let praise be given to/by the Blessed One] instead of the full post cibum grace:
Domine Deus, resurrectio et vita credentium, qui semper es laudandus cum in viventibus tum in defunctis, agimus tibi gratias pro Eduardo secundo, Fundatore nostro, pro Adamo De Brome, praecipuo benefactore caeterisque benefactoribus nostris, quorum benficiis hic as pietatem et ad studia bonarum literarum alimur; rogantes ut nos his donis tuis recte utentes, ad resurrectionis gloriam immortalem perducamur, per Jesum Christum Dominum nostrum.
Lord God, the resurrection and life of all who believe in thee, who art always worthy to be praised by both the living and the dead, we give thee thanks for Edward the Second, our Founder, for Adam de Brome, our principal benefactor and for all our other benefactors, by whose benefits we are here maintained in godliness and learning; and we beseech thee that using these thy gifts rightly we may be led to the immortal glory of resurrection, through Jesus Christ our Lord. 
Students are admitted to Oriel in line with the common framework the Oxford University Colleges adhere to, which lays down the principles and procedures for admission to Oxford University, which they all observe. The University of Oxford (informally "Oxford University" or simply "Oxford" located in the city of Oxford, Oxfordshire, England is the
Accommodation is provided for all undergraduates, and for some graduates, though some accommodation is off-site. Members are generally expected to dine in hall, where there are two sittings every evening, one informal and one formal, except on Saturdays, where there is only an informal sitting. At traditional Oxbridge colleges there may be two dinners in the college hall each evening named informal hall and Formal hall. Formal Hall or Formal Meal is the traditional meal held at some of the older universities in the United Kingdom at which students dress in Formal attire  The Bar, situated underneath the Hall, serves food from mid-morning and drinks in the evening; its LCD TV was installed prior to the 2006 football World Cup. The 2006 FIFA World Cup was the 18th instance of the FIFA World Cup, the quadrennial international football world championship tournament There is both a Junior Common Room (JCR), between Second and Third quad, and a Middle Common Room (MCR), on the Island Site.
The college lending library supplements the university libraries; with over 100,000 volumes, it is one of the largest college libraries in the university and will purchase books needed for the course. Most undergraduate tutorials are carried out in the college, though for other specialist papers, undergraduates may be sent to tutors in other colleges.
Since 2001, Oriel College students have chosen not to be affiliated to the University-wide Students' Union, OUSU, although this has not stopped some students from getting involved with OUSU and running for elected office. The Oxford University Student Union is the official Students' union of the University of Oxford, representing the interests of its members to the university and the 
Oriel has a reputation for its success in rowing, in particular the two intercollegiate bumps races, Torpids and Eights Week. GB coxless pair of Toby Garbett & Rick Dunn at Henley Royal Regatta 2004 A bumps race is a form of rowing race in which a number of boats chase each other in single file each boat attempts to catch (" bump " the boat Torpids is one of two bumping races held at Oxford University yearly the other being Eights. At Oxford University, Summer Eights, a Bumps race constitutes the main intercollegiate rowing event of the year and happens in the fifth week of the  In 2005 they remained "Head of the River" in Torpids and rowed over second in Eights Week. In 2006 Oriel claimed the first ever double headship in Torpids, rowing over as Head of the River in both the men's and women's first divisions. However, in Summer Eights, the Men's 1st VIII were awarded spoons after being bumped every day. Both Men's and Women's 1st VIIIs ceded the headship of Torpids in 2008 by being bumped; the positions remained unchanged in 2007 as Torpids were cancelled. On the afternoons of the Thursday, Friday and Saturday of 7th week in Trinity Term, the boat club hosts the annual Oriel Regatta; events in this competition include side-by-side racing for eights, coxed fours, pairs and single sculls. Trinity term is the name of the third and final term of Oxford University 's and Dublin University 's Academic year.  The course runs upstream from the Longbridges Boathouse to past the end of boathouses on Christ Church Island and are conducted in knock-out format.
Croquet may be played in St Mary quad in the summer, as can bowls on the south lawn of First quad. Croquet is a Game played both as a recreational Pastime and as a competitive Sport which involves hitting wooden or plastic balls with a mallet through Bowls (also known as Lawn Bowls or Lawn Bowling) is a precision Sport in which the goal is to roll slightly radially asymmetrical Balls  The sports ground is mainly used for cricket, tennis, rugby union and football. Cricket is a bat-and-ball team Sport that originated in England and is now played in more than 100 countries Tennis is a sport played between two players ( singles) or between two teams of two players each ( doubles) Overview See also Playing rugby union A rugby union match lasts for 80 minutes (plus stoppage time with a short Association football, more commonly known as football or soccer, is a Team sport played between two teams of eleven players and is widely considered Rowing is carried out from the boat-house across Christ Church Meadow. Christ Church Meadow is a famous Flood-meadow, and popular walking and picnic spot in Oxford, England.
Oriel ranked 29th out of 30 in the 2007 Norrington Table (Second last). The Norrington Table is an annual ranking that lists the colleges of the University of Oxford in order of the performance of their Undergraduate students 
Many notable and famous people have passed through Oriel's gates, from statesmen to cricketers to industrialists; their most famous undergraduate is the 16th-century explorer, Sir Walter Raleigh. This is an incomplete list of notable people affiliated with Oriel College, Oxford University, England, including former students academics provosts and honorary A statesman or stateswoman or statesperson is usually a Politician or other notable figure of State who has had a long and respected career in Cricket is a bat-and-ball team Sport that originated in England and is now played in more than 100 countries A business magnate, sometimes referred to as a mogul, tycoon, baron, or industrialist, is a person who has reached a prominent place in The Age of Discovery or Age of Exploration was a period from the early 15th century and continuing into the early 17th century during which Europeans explored Sir Walter Raleigh or Ralegh (c 1552 – 29 October 1618 was a famed English writer Poet, Soldier, Courtier and Explorer  The College has produced many churchmen, bishops, cardinals, governors, and two Nobel Prize recipients: Alexander Todd (Chemistry) and James Meade (Economics). The Nobel Prize (Nobelpriset (Nobelprisen is a Swedish prize established in the 1895 will of Swedish chemist Alfred Nobel; it was first awarded in Peace, Literature Alexander Robertus Todd Baron Todd, PC, OM, FRS ( 2 October 1907 &ndash 10 January 1997) was a Scottish James Edward Meade ( June 23 1907, Swanage, Dorset December 22 1995, Cambridge) was a British Economist
The Professorial Fellowships the College holds are: the Regius Professor of Modern History, held by Robert Evans and formerly by Sir John Elliott and Thomas Arnold, the Oriel Professor of the Interpretation of Holy Scripture, held by John Barton, the Nolloth Professor of the Philosophy of the Christian Religion, and the Nuffield Professor of Obstetrics and Gynaecology. The Regius Professor of Modern History at the University of Oxford is an old-established professorial position Professor Robert John Weston Evans, FBA, was educated at Dean Close School, Cheltenham and the University of Cambridge. Professor Sir John Huxtable Elliott ( June 23, 1930 -) is an eminent Historian, Regius Professor Emeritus in the University Thomas Arnold ( 13 June 1795 &ndash 12 June 1842) was a British schoolmaster and historian head of Rugby School from 1828 The Oriel Professor of the Interpretation of the Holy Scripture at the University of Oxford is an old-established professorial position Reverend Professor John Barton is the Oriel and Laing Professor of the Interpretation of Holy Scripture at Oriel College Oxford. 
Oriel has three notable pieces of medieval plate. Sterling silver is an Alloy of Silver containing 925% pure silver and 7 The first is a French beaker and cover in silver gilt; past estimates on its dating from 1460–70 are thought mistaken, and circa 1350, with later decoration, was later expounded.  It was bought in 1493 for £4. 18s. 1d. , under the mistaken belief that it had belonged to Edward II. For the play see Edward II (play. For the film see Edward II (film.  In a college inventory of plate dated 21 December 1596, it is named as the Founder's Cup. Events 69 - The end of the Year of the four emperors: Following Galba, Otho and Vitellius, Vespasian
The second notable piece of plate is a mazer of maplewood with silver gilt mounts, dating from 1470–85. In the Germanic tradition a mazer is a special type of Drinking vessel, properly made of Maple wood and so-called from the spotted or birdseye marking On the edge of the rim is a row of grouped beads; below is an inscription in black letters:
This type of shallow drinking vessel was quite common in the Middle Ages, but the only other mazers in Oxford are three dating from the 15th century, and one standing mazer from 1529–30, all belonging to All Souls. All Souls College (in full The Warden and College of the Souls of all Faithful People deceased in the University of Oxford) is one of the constituent colleges Thirdly is a coconut cup, one of six in Oxford; the Oriel cup has silver gilt mounts and dates from the first quarter of the 16th century. 
Among the later plate are two flagons, two pattens and a chalice which date from 1640–41. A chalice (from Latin calix, cup borrowed from Greek kalyx, shell husk is a goblet intended to hold drink The larger pieces of Buttery Plate include the Sanford and Heywood grace cups, dated 1654–55 and 1669–70, a rosewater ewer gifted in 1669, a punchbowl dating from 1735–36, and the great Wenman tankard presented in 1679, which holds a gallon and is the largest in Oxford. A Grace Cup (or Loving Cup) is a silver bowl or tankard with two handles that was traditionally passed round the table after grace at all banquets in London Many of the 17th- and 18th-century tankards were given by commensales and commoners as a form of admission fee. 
The buildings of Oriel College were used as a location for Hugh Grant's first film, Privileged (1982), as well as Oxford Blues (1984), True Blue (1991) and The Dinosaur Hunter (2000). Hugh John Mungo Grant (born 9 September 1960 is a British Actor and Film producer. See also Oxford University Ice Hockey Club, often known as the "Oxford Blues" 
The television crime series Inspector Morse used the College in the episodes "Ghost in the Machine", under the name of 'Courtenay College', "The Silent World of Nicholas Quinn", "The Infernal Serpent", "Deadly Slumber", "Twilight of the Gods" and "Death is now My Neighbour", and in the one off follow on, Lewis, the Middle Common Room and Oriel Square were used. Inspector Morse is a television series based on Colin Dexter ’s popular novels about Chief Inspector Morse. Lewis (known as Inspector Lewis in the United States) is a British television detective drama made as a spin-off from Oriel Square, formerly known as Canterbury Square. is a square in central Oxford, England, located south of the High Street. 
In the first series of Chancer, broadcast in 1990, Oriel College was featured under its genuine name as the home of Lynsey Baxter's character, Victoria Douglas. Chancer is a British television serial produced by Central Television for ITV. Lynsey Baxter (born on 7 May 1965 in London) is an English actress. Filming was done on Staircase 14 in the Rhodes Building, and also featured prominent shots of the first and third quadrangles and of Oriel Square.
The quads and interiors were used in a 2006 documentary on Gilbert White by Michael Wood, both being former students of the college. This article is about the 18th-century English naturalist For the 20th-century American geographer see Gilbert F Michael David Wood (born 23 July 1948 in Moston, Manchester) is a popular English Historian and broadcaster
In Tom Brown at Oxford by Thomas Hughes, Oriel's win in the 1842 Head of the River Race, with Oriel bumping Trinity, was re-written as Tom's college, "St Ambrose" taking first place and "Oriel" in second place. Tom Brown at Oxford Thomas Hughes ( October 20, 1822 – March 22, 1896) was an English lawyer and author The Head of the River Race ( HORR) is a processional rowing race held annually on the River Thames in London, England, on the