New Canton is an unincorporated community in northeastern Buckingham County, Virginia, United States. In Law, an unincorporated area is a region of land that is not a part of any Municipality. There is also Buckingham County Tasmania, a former county in Australia Buckingham County is a county located in the U The Commonwealth of Virginia ( is an American state The United States of America —commonly referred to as the It lies along U.S. Route 15 above the James River, northeast of the county seat of Buckingham. US Route 15 is a -long United States highway, designated along South Carolina, North Carolina, Virginia, Maryland, Pennsylvania The James River in the US state of Virginia is a long River, including its Jackson River source A county seat is a term for an Administrative center for a County, primarily used in the United States. Buckingham is an unincorporated community in and the County seat of Buckingham County, Virginia, United States.  Although it is unincorporated, it has a post office, with the ZIP code of 23123. A post office is a facility authorized by a Postal system for the posting receipt sorting handling transmission or delivery of Mail. The ZIP code is the system of Postal codes used by the United States Postal Service (USPS 
In November, 1793, the Virginia General Assembly decreed that a town to be named "New Canton" was to be established in Buckingham County on the James River, near the mouth of Bear Garden Creek. The Virginia General Assembly is the legislative body of the Commonwealth of Virginia. The twenty five acres of land were located on the bluff above "Cannon's Ferry" which had been in operation for many years. This land was to be laid out into lots of one half acre each, with "convenient cross streets running throughout". The main street and one angled cross street were the existing roads that served the ferry. The land was part of an original colonial land grant made to William Cannon on March 1, 1743. The land was donated by Cannon's grandson, also named William, who hoped that the town would grow and prosper, causing his surrounding property to increase in value.
The original 45 lots were to be sold at public auction. Each purchaser was given seven years to build a "habitable dwelling house" on the lot. The dwelling was to be at least sixteen feet square and have either a brick or stone chimney. In addition, a tobacco warehouse was to be constructed and named "Cannon's Warehouse".
Initial sales were slow and nine years later, in 1802, the General Assembly allowed an extra five years for purchasers to build on their lots. The tobacco warehouse had been constructed by January, 1804, on the only one acre lot in town. This warehouse later became known as the "Public" or "Publik" Warehouse and existed well into the 19th century.
In its early years, New Canton was known as a rowdy place, with as many as three saloons in a town of less than 40 houses. Iron and gold mines were in operation all around New Canton from the mid-1700's until the mid-1800's. The remains of the iron foundry and several mines still exist today.
The "James River and Kanawha Canal" was constructed on the north side of the river and opened in 1840. A bridge was built to connect the canal to the New Canton side. This canal was used by packet and freight boats which replaced the earlier "Batteau" boats used before the canal for commerce. These boats brought goods and passengers to and from Richmond and points beyond. The canal was used until both it and the bridge were destroyed by Union forces during the Civil War. The canal was repaired after the war, but traffic never returned to pre-war levels as railroads were becoming more numerous and popular.
The only church ever built in New Canton was Trinity Presbyterian which was constructed in 1840. It still exists in the original building as a functioning church to this day. A private one room Catholic chapel was constucted by a local resident in the mid-1880's and it also still exists to this day.
In the mid-1880's major change came to New Canton when a railroad bridge was constucted over the James River, connecting the Bremo Bluff side to the New Canton side. A new road was constructed a few hunderd feet to the west of the old ferry road to service the new bridge. Planks were laid on the bridge which allowed wagon and foot traffic as well as rail traffic. The locals named the bridge the "Combination Bridge" beacuse of this. The old ferry and its connecting road fell into disuse and were gradually abandoned.
New Canton never became a "boom town" but it did have considerable commerce and enterprise in the 1800's. There was a tan yard, a grist mill, a tobacco warehouse, a saw mill, several bars, a hotel, several general stores and a post office. In the early 1900's, there were gas pumps, a Ford dealer and an orchard as well.
As motorcars became popular early in the 20th century, they too began using the bridge and the road down to the river became a highway for the ever increasing motor vehicle traffic. The main highway that was to become Highway 15 actually ran right through New Canton. This brought a boom in commerce to New Canton but it was to be short lived as the new highway bridge, a few hundred feet to the west, opened in 1934, effectively isolating New Canton from through traffic.
Commerce gradually wound down in the latter half of the 20th century. The village now has no commercial establishments and there are less than 10 occupied houses on the original 45 lots. The most active part of town is the post office which has remained in continuous operation, in several different buildings, since the early 1800's. This post office serves a wide area around the village itself.