The National Democratic Alliance (NDA) is a coalition of political parties in India. India, officially the Republic of India (भारत गणराज्य inc-Latn Bhārat Gaṇarājya; see also other Indian languages) is a country It is led by the Bharatiya Janata Party and had 13 constituent parties at the time of its formation in 1998. The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP (भारतीय जनता पार्टी, Translation: Indian People's Party) founded in 1980 is a major Political Year 1998 ( MCMXCVIII) was a Common year starting on Thursday (link will display full 1998 Gregorian calendar) The convenor of NDA is George Fernandes, and its honorary Chairman is former Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee. George Fernandes (born June 3 1930 is a trade unionist agriculturist political activist journalist and currently a member of the 14th Lok Sabha of India. Atal Bihari Vajpayee (अटल बिहारी वाजपेयी əʈəl bɪhaːɾiː ʋaːdʒpeiː (born December 25 1924 The eleventh Prime Minister of India. Also representing the alliance are Lal Krishna Advani, who is the Leader of the Opposition in the Lok Sabha; Jaswant Singh, who is Leader of the Opposition in the Rajya Sabha; and Charnjit Singh Atwal, who is the Deputy Speaker in the Lok Sabha. Lal Krishna Advani (लाल कृष्ण आडवाणी لال ڪرشنا آڏواڻي also known as Lal Kishenchand Advani (Sindhi लाल किशनचंद The Lok Sabha (also titled the House of the People, by the Constitution) is the directly elected Lower house of the Parliament of India For the Indian Army commander see Joginder Jaswant Singh. For the Indian author see Lt Col Jaswant Singh Marwah. The Rajya Sabha (meaning the "Council of States" is the Upper house of the Parliament of India. The Lok Sabha (also titled the House of the People, by the Constitution) is the directly elected Lower house of the Parliament of India
The announcement of the National Democratic Alliance in May of 1998 signalled the first step in the building of the coalition, which formed the Government in 1998, but collapsed within a year due to the AIADMK pulling out. All India Anna Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam (AIADMK (அனைத்து இந்திய அண்ணா திராவிட முன்னேற்ற கழகம் is a regional It proceeded to win the 1999 elections with a greater majority and new alliances. The NDA governed under Prime Minister Vajpayee for a full five years hence, and was widely expected to win the 2004 elections. However, post-elections, a coalition led by the main opposition Congress party staked a claim to form the government, with support from non-aligned parties. The formation of the United Progressive Alliance, the Congress-led coalition, was inspired by the structure of the NDA, with one major national party at the helm and several regional parties participating. United Progressive Alliance ( UPA) is the present ruling coalition of political parties heading the Government of India.
Given the tendency of political parties in India to make and break alliances frequently, the National Democratic Alliance does not have a formal governing structure in place, such as an executive board or politburo. It has been up the leaders of the individual parties to make decisions on issues such as seat-sharing in elections, allocation of ministries and the issues that are raised in Parliament. Given the varied ideologies among the parties, there have been many cases of disagreement and split voting among the allies. George Fernandes, who is the NDA convener, was also chosen by the leaders of the individual parties, and not by any electoral vote. George Fernandes (born June 3 1930 is a trade unionist agriculturist political activist journalist and currently a member of the 14th Lok Sabha of India. He has no fixed tenure.
Past and Present Members
Currently, the 6 other parties in the NDA are:
Former members of the National Democratic Alliance, who have left the alliance:
- Jammu & Kashmir National Conference - Withdrew in 2002, blaming the BJP for its loss in Jammu & Kashmir state elections. Shiv Sena ( Devanāgarī: शिव सेना Śīv Senā, meaning Army of Shiva, referring to Shivaji Bhosle) is a Political party Maharashtra ( Marathi: mahārāṣṭra, IPA) is a state located on the western coast of India. Janata Dal (United is a Political party in India with political presence mainly in Bihar and Karnataka. Bihar ( Hindi:बिहार Urdu: بہار bɪhaːr) is a state in eastern India. Karnataka (ಕರ್ನಾಟಕ pronounced) is a state in the southern part of India The Biju Janata Dal is a regional party of the Indian state of Orissa led by Naveen Patnaik, son of former state chief minister Biju Patnaik. Orissa (ଓଡ଼ିଶା is a state located on the east coast of India, by the Bay of Bengal. Akali Dal, also called Shiromani Akali Dal ( Akali Religious Party) is a collection of Sikh Political parties mainly based in Punjab Punjab (ਪੰਜਾਬ पंजाब pəɲdʒaːb is a state in northwest India. The Nagaland People's Front is a Political party in the Indian state of Nagaland. Nagaland ( Hindi: नागालैंड is a hill state located in the far north-eastern part of India. The Jammu & Kashmir National Conference is a political party in the state of Jammu and Kashmir, India. Omar Abdullah, son of former J&K Chief Minister Farooq Abdullah, served as a Minister of State for External Affairs. Omar Abdullah ( Urdu: عمر عبدالله born 10 March 1970, is a member of 14th Lok Sabha.
- Indian National Lok Dal - Mutual resentment led to split-up of the INLD and BJP prior to the 2004 Lok Sabha elections. Indian National Lok Dal, a Political party in India, based in the state of Haryana is the principal opposition party in Haryana
- Lok Jan Shakti Party - Withdrew following 2002 Gujarat religious riots. The Lok Jan Shakti Party is a Political party in India. It is led by Ram Vilas Paswan. Its leader, Ram Vilas Paswan, served as the cabinet-level Communications, and later, Coal Minister. Ram Vilas Paswan (born 5 July, 1946) is a member of the 14th Lok Sabha of India.
- Marumalarchi Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam - Joined hands with Congress party during 2004 elections. Marumalarchi Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam ( MDMK; Tamil: மறுமலர்ச்சித் திராவிட முன்னேற்றக் கழகம்
- Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam - Joined hands with Congress party during 2004 elections. Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam ( Tamil:திராவிட முன்னேற்றக் கழகம் (literally "Dravidian Progress Federation") is a regional
- All India Anna Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam - Joined hands with Congress party during 1999 elections; Subsequently re-joined alliance during 2004 elections, but did not remain aligned post-defeat. All India Anna Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam (AIADMK (அனைத்து இந்திய அண்ணா திராவிட முன்னேற்ற கழகம் is a regional
- Pattali Makkal Katchi - Joined hands with Congress party during 2004 elections. Pattali Makkal Katchi ( பாட்டாளி மக்கள் கட்சி, abbreviated PMK is a Tamil Political party.
- Rashtriya Lok Dal - Withdrew in 2003 to pursue alliance to form Uttar Pradesh state government with the Samajwadi Party. Rashtriya Lok Dal (National People's Party a Political party in India. Samajwadi Party (literally Socialist Party) is a Political party in India.
- Indian Federal Democratic Party - Its leader, P. The Indian Federal Democratic Party was a Political party in India. C. Thomas, was a minister in the Vajpayee government and the only member of Parliament in the alliance from Kerala. Following the 2004 election, he merged his party with the Kerala Congress, which is aligned with the Left.
- Trinamool Congress - West Bengal - Withdrew from the alliance at the end of 2007. All India Trinamool Congress, formerly West Bengal Trinamool Congress, (WBTC is a Political party in India led by Mamata Banerjee. West Bengal ( Bengali: পশ্চিমবঙ্গ Poshchim Bônggo poʃtʃim bɔŋgo is a state in eastern India.
Parties who gave outside support, but are no longer allies:
- Telugu Desam Party - In the monsoon session of Parliament of 2005, the TDP decided not to continue as part of an NDA boycott of Parliament. Telugu Desam Party ( Telugu: తెలుగు దేశం Party for Telugu Land and people or TDP is a regional Political party Speculation of an end to the NDA-TDP relationship was confirmed in August of that year, when the BJP and TDP contested local elections in Andhra Pradesh on their own.
© 2009 citizendia.org; parts available under the terms of GNU Free Documentation License, from http://en.wikipedia.org
network: | |