The Mikulin M-17 was a Soviet-licensed copy of the German BMW VI V-12 liquid-cooled aircraft piston engine, further developed by Alexander Mikulin and used by Soviet aircraft during World War II. The Union of Soviet Socialist Republics (USSR was a constitutionally Socialist state that existed in Eurasia from 1922 to 1991 Germany, officially the Federal Republic of Germany ( ˈbʊndəsʁepuˌbliːk ˈdɔʏtʃlant is a Country in Central Europe. The BMW VI was a water-cooled V-12 aircraft engine built in Germany in the 1920s Alexander Alexandrovich Mikulin (Александр Александрович Микулин ( February 14 ( O Production began in 1930 and continued through 1941. The M-17 was built at factories in Rybinsk and Moscow. Rybinsk (Ры́бинск is the second largest city of Yaroslavl Oblast, Russia Moscow (Москва́ romanised: Moskvá, IPA: see also other names) is the Capital and the largest city of The M-17 was produced in far greater numbers in the USSR than the original in Germany. Due to improvements and substitutions the M-17 was substantially different from the original German engine. The engine was used in the early versions of the Tupolev TB-3 heavy bomber. WikipediaWikiProject Aircraft. Please see WikipediaWikiProject Aircraft/page content for recommended layout Nearly half of the TB-3's produced used the M-17. More than 27,000 were produced of which 19,000 were aircraft engines while the rest were used in Soviet tanks of the period.