See the section Popular culture
below for novels and other popular culture related to the Midnight Sun.
The midnight sun at Nordkapp
. Nordkapp is a municipality in the county of Finnmark, Norway. Norway ( Norwegian: Norge ( Bokmål) or Noreg ( Nynorsk) officially the Kingdom of Norway, is a Constitutional
The Arctic Cathedral
with surroundings in Tromsø
illuminated by the midnight sun. The Tromsdalen Church ( Tromsdalen Kirke) which is more commonly known as The Arctic Cathedral ( Ishavskatedralen, literally "The Cathedral ( Romsa in Northern Sami, Tromssa in Kven and Finnish) is a city and municipality in the county of Troms,
Midnight sun in Kiruna
. Kiruna is the northernmost city of Sweden, situated in Lappland province with roughly inhabitants "Sverige" redirects here For other uses see Sweden (disambiguation and Sverige (disambiguation.
The midnight sun is a phenomenon occurring in latitudes north and nearby to the south of the Arctic Circle and south and nearby to the north of the Antarctic Circle where the sun remains visible at the local midnight. A natural phenomenon is a non-artificial event in the physical sense and therefore not produced by Humans although it may affect humans (e Latitude, usually denoted symbolically by the Greek letter phi ( Φ) gives the location of a place on Earth (or other planetary body north or south of the The Arctic Circle is one of the five major circles of latitude that mark maps of the Earth. The Antarctic Circle is one of the five major circles (or parallels of latitude that mark maps of the Earth. The Sun (Sol is the Star at the center of the Solar System. Given fair weather, the sun is visible for a continuous 24 hours, mostly north of the Arctic Circle and south of the Antarctic Circle. The number of days per year with potential midnight sun increases the further poleward one goes.
There are no permanent human settlements south of the Antarctic Circle, so the countries and territories whose populations experience it are limited to the ones crossed by the Arctic Circle, i. e. Alaska, Canada, Greenland, Norway, Sweden, Finland, Russia, and extremities of Iceland. Alaska ( Аляска Alyaska) is a state in the United States of America, in the northwest of the North American continent Country to "Dominion of Canada" or "Canadian Federation" or anything else please read the Talk Page Greenland (Kalaallit Nunaat meaning "Land of the Greenlanders" Grønland is a self-governing Danish Province located between the Norway ( Norwegian: Norge ( Bokmål) or Noreg ( Nynorsk) officially the Kingdom of Norway, is a Constitutional "Sverige" redirects here For other uses see Sweden (disambiguation and Sverige (disambiguation. Finland, officially the Republic of Finland ( is a Nordic country situated in the Fennoscandian region of northern Europe. Russia (Россия Rossiya) or the Russian Federation ( Rossiyskaya Federatsiya) is a transcontinental Country extending Iceland, officially the Republic of Iceland ( ( Ísland or Lýðveldið Ísland ( A quarter of Finland's territory lies north of the Arctic Circle and at the country's northernmost point the sun does not set for 73 days during summer. Finland, officially the Republic of Finland ( is a Nordic country situated in the Fennoscandian region of northern Europe. The Arctic Circle is one of the five major circles of latitude that mark maps of the Earth. In Svalbard, Norway, the northernmost inhabited region of Europe, there is no sunset from approximately April 19th to August 23rd. Svalbard is an Archipelago in the Arctic Ocean north of mainland Europe, about midway between Norway and the North Pole. The extreme sites are the poles where the sun can be continuously visible for a half year.
The opposite phenomenon, polar night, occurs in winter when the sun stays below the horizon throughout the day. The polar night is the night lasting more than 24 hours usually inside the Polar circles The opposite phenomenon when the sun stays above the horizon for a long time is called The horizon ( Ancient Greek ὁ ὁρίζων, /ho horídzôn/ from ὁρίζειν, "to limit" is the apparent line that separates
Since the Earth's axis is tilted with respect to the ecliptic by approximately 23 degrees 27 minutes, the sun does not set at high latitudes in (local) summer. EARTH was a short-lived Japanese vocal trio which released 6 singles and 1 album between 2000 and 2001 The ecliptic is the apparent path that the Sun traces out in the sky during the year The duration of the midnight sun increases from one day during the summer solstice at the polar circle to approximately six months at the poles. Solstices occur twice a year when the tilt of the Earth's axis is most oriented toward or away from the Sun, causing the Sun to reach its northernmost and southernmost extremes A polar circle is either the Arctic Circle or the Antarctic Circle. At extreme latitudes, it is usually referred to as polar day. The length of the time the sun is above the horizon varies from 20 hours at the Arctic Circle and Antarctic Circle to 186 days at the poles. A geographical pole, or geographic pole, is either of two fixed points on the surface of a spinning body or Planet, at 90 degrees from the Equator, based
At the poles themselves, the sun only rises once and sets once, each year. During the six months when the sun is above the horizon at the poles, the sun spends the days constantly moving around the horizon, reaching its highest circuit of the sky at the summer solstice.
Due to refraction, the midnight sun may be experienced at latitudes slightly below the polar circle, though not exceeding one degree (depending on local conditions). For example, it is possible to experience the midnight sun in Iceland, even though most of it (Grímsey being a notable exception) is slightly south of the Arctic Circle. Grímsey is a small Island north of Iceland, situated directly on the Arctic Circle, with the highest Elevation of. Even the northern extremities of the Scotland (and those places on similar latitudes) experience a permanent "dusk" or glare in the northern skies at these times. Scotland ( Gaelic: Alba) is a Country in northwest Europethat occupies the northern third of the island of Great Britain.
The Alexander Nevsky Bridge
in Saint Petersburg
, drawn at white night. The Alexander Nevsky Bridge (Мост Алекса́ндра Не́вского Most Aleksandra Nevskogo) is named after the legendary Russian military commander and Saint Petersburg ( tr: Sankt-Peterburg,) is a city and a federal subject of Russia located on the Neva River
Locations above 60 degrees latitude that are south of the Arctic Circle or north of the Antarctic Circle experience midnight twilight instead. Twilight is the time before Sunrise, called Dawn, and the time after Sunset, called Dusk. The sun is at the horizon to 6 degrees below the horizon, so that daytime activities, such as reading, are still possible without artificial light, on the condition it is not cloudy.
White nights have become a common symbol of Saint Petersburg, Russia, where they occur from about 11 June to 11 July, and the last 10 days of June are celebrated with cultural events. Saint Petersburg ( tr: Sankt-Peterburg,) is a city and a federal subject of Russia located on the Neva River Russia (Россия Rossiya) or the Russian Federation ( Rossiyskaya Federatsiya) is a transcontinental Country extending Events 1184 BC - Trojan War: Troy is sacked and burned according to the calculations of Eratosthenes. Events 911 - Signing of the Treaty of Saint-Clair-sur-Epte between Charles the Simple and Rollo of Normandy.
Effect on people
Many find it difficult to fall asleep during the night when the sun is shining. In general, visitors and newcomers are most affected. Some natives are also affected, but in general to a lesser degree. The effect of the polar night, that is, not experiencing day for long durations of time is said to cause "Seasonal Affective Disorder" or S. The polar night is the night lasting more than 24 hours usually inside the Polar circles The opposite phenomenon when the sun stays above the horizon for a long time is called Seasonal affective disorder ( SAD) also known as winter depression, is a Mood disorder in which people who have normal mental health throughout most of the year experience A. D. , a type of depression caused by lack of natural light. High-intensity daylight-spectrum lamps and tanning beds are a popular solution for relief from S. A. D.
- "Integration Under the Midnight Sun"  by Adnan Mahmutovic  is a short story about Bosnian refugees in Sweden.
- "Midnight Sun" is a novel by Ramsey Campbell and also a novel by RC Duggan. John Ramsey Campbell (born 4 January 1946 in Liverpool) is an English Horror fiction author
- Midnight Sun appears in the opening lines - "There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold. " - of the famous and striking poem by Robert W. Service (1874-1958) entitled "The Cremation of Sam McGee". Robert William Service ( January 16, 1874 &ndash September 11, 1958) was a poet and writer " The Cremation of Sam McGee " is among the most famous of Robert W
- Midnight Sun is the name of a supervillain in the Marvel Comics universe. Midnight Sun ( M'Nai) is a Fictional character, a former Supervillain in the Marvel Comics universe. A supervillain or supervillainess is a variant of the Villain character type commonly found in Comic books, Action movies and Marvel Comics is an American comic book company owned by Marvel Publishing Inc
- "Midnight's Sun - A Story of Wolves" is the title of Garry Kilworths 1990 novel. Garry Douglas Kilworth (born July 5 1941 in York, England) is a Fantasy and historical novelist
- Wild Stars Seeking Midnight Suns is the title of the 2006 collection of short stories by J. California Cooper.
* Midnight Sun is an upcoming book that is currently being written by author Stephenie Meyer. Midnight Sun was an expected companion Novel to the book Twilight by author Stephenie Meyer. Stephenie Morgan Meyer (born December 24 1973 is an American Author. It will be a retelling of her first novel, Twilight, from Edward Cullen's perspective. Twilight is a young adult vampire /romance novel written by author Stephenie Meyer. Edward Cullen (né Edward Anthony Masen) is a Fictional character from Stephenie Meyer 's ''Twilight'' series.
Film and television
- The movie "Insomnia" tells the story of a fictional police detective in Norway who suffers from insomnia due to, among other things, the midnight sun. Insomnia is a 1997 Norwegian film about a police detective investigating a murder in a town located above the Arctic Circle. Norway ( Norwegian: Norge ( Bokmål) or Noreg ( Nynorsk) officially the Kingdom of Norway, is a Constitutional A 2002 remake of the film, starring Al Pacino as the insomniac detective, is set in Alaska. Insomnia is a 2002 American Remake of the 1997 Norwegian film of the same name. Alfredo James “Al” Pacino (born April 25 1940 is an Academy - BAFTA - Golden Globe - Emmy - & Screen Actors Guild Award-Winning
- "Midnight Sun" is the name of a Japanese film. Midnight Sun, known in Japan as, is a Movie directed by Norihiro Koizumi starring the Japanese artist and singer Yui.
- "The Midnight Sun" is the title of an original Twilight Zone episode. "The Midnight Sun" is an episode of the American television anthology series The Twilight Zone. The Twilight Zone is an American Television series created by Rod Serling.
- Most of the plot of the movie "White Nights" takes place during a midnight sun period in Leningrad (Saint Petersburg now) and Siberia. White Nights is a 1985 film starring Mikhail Baryshnikov, Gregory Hines, Jerzy Skolimowski, Helen Mirren and Siberia (Сиби́рь Sibir) is the name given to the vast region constituting almost all of Northern Asia and for the most part currently serving
- "Midnight Sun" is the theme and title of an episode from TV-series taking place in Alaska, Northern Exposure, season 4. Northern Exposure is a Dramedy series. It was created by Brand - Falsey Productions which was recognized with a rare pair of consecutive
- The movie "Lovers of the Arctic Circle" (1998) by Julio Medem references the cyclical nature of the midnight sun.
- Byakuyakou; Also known as: Midnight Sun Journey is the title of a Japanese drama.
- "Midnight Sun" is a psytrance track by Alien Project featuring GMS, or Growling Mad Scientists. GMS (also known as the Growling Mad Scientists) is a Dutch Psychedelic trance duo which has attained significant popularity from the early 1990s to
- "Midnight Sun" is a jazz standard by Lionel Hampton and Sonny Burke, with lyrics by Johnny Mercer. " Midnight Sun " (1954 was originally an instrumental composed by Lionel Hampton and Sonny Burke, now considered a jazz standard Lionel Leo Hampton ( April 20, 1908 &ndash August 31, 2002) was an American Jazz Vibraphonist, Percussionist John Herndon "Johnny" Mercer ( November 18, 1909 – June 25, 1976) was an American Songwriter and Singer
- "Midnight Sun" is a song by the group The Pines.
- "Midnight Sun" is a Choirboys song and album released in 1991.
- "Midnight Sun" is a Helloween song from their 1998 album Better Than Raw, written by Michael Weikath. Helloween is a German power / Speed metal band founded in the early 1980s by members of Iron Fist and Powerfool Better Than Raw is the eighth studio album by German Power metal band Helloween, released in 1998 Michael Weikath ( August 7, 1962, Hamburg, Germany) is the guitarist of the German Power metal band called Helloween
- The lyric "Where the northern lights are runnin' wild in the land of the midnight sun" referenced in a popular country song titled "North to Alaska" by the 1950s country music singer Johnny Horton. North to Alaska is a 1960 comedic western directed by Henry Hathaway and starring John Wayne and Stewart Granger Johnny Horton ( April 30, 1925  &ndash November 5, 1960) was an American Country music singer who was most famous
- "Midnight Sun" is the title of a hidden track on the album Black Sails in the Sunset by AFI. Black Sails in the Sunset is a 1999 Punk rock album by AFI. This is the first full-length album with Jade Puget as a full time member of AFI (abbreviated from A F ire I nside and formerly A sking F or i t A bunch of F ucking I
- "Midnight Sun" is the title of a song on the album April Skies by Deine Lakaien. April Skies was released in 2005 and is the 8th studio album to be released by the group Deine Lakaien. Deine Lakaien is a German Darkwave group comprised of the vocalist Alexander Veljanov and the classically trained composer pianist and drummer Ernst Horn
- "Midnight Sunrise" is a song by the Finnish band Turisas. The terms Finns and Finnish people ( Finnish: suomalaiset, Swedish: finländare) are used in English to Turisas are a Finnish Viking metal band from Hämeenlinna. They were founded in 1997 by Mathias Nygård and Jussi Wickström
- "White Night Fantasy" is a song by Finnish band Nightwish. Nightwish is a symphonic Power metal band formed in 1996 in the town of Kitee, Finland. There is also reference in Ever Dream by Nightwish in the lyric "Your beauty cascaded on me, in this white night fantasy". " Ever Dream " is a song by Nightwish which was the group's first single release in two years Nightwish is a symphonic Power metal band formed in 1996 in the town of Kitee, Finland.
- The midnight sun is mentioned together with northern lights in a song about Finland, titled The Land of Ice and Snow, by the Finnish Power Metal band Stratovarius. Finland, officially the Republic of Finland ( is a Nordic country situated in the Fennoscandian region of northern Europe. Power metal is a style of Heavy metal music combining characteristics of traditional metal with Thrash metal or Speed metal, often within Stratovarius is a Finnish Power metal band that formed in 1983
- The Stephen Sondheim musical A Little Night Music takes place during a Swedish white night, and has songs which revolve around this fact. Stephen Joshua Sondheim (born March 22 1930 is an American musical and film composer and lyricist winner of an Academy Award, multiple Tony Awards (seven A Little Night Music is a musical with music and lyrics by Stephen Sondheim and book by Hugh Wheeler. "Sverige" redirects here For other uses see Sweden (disambiguation and Sverige (disambiguation.
- "Follow The Midnight Sun" is a song on the album Midnight Sun by Maggie Reilly. Maggie Reilly (born September 15 1956 in Glasgow) is a Scottish vocalist best known for her collaborations with the composer Mike Oldfield between 1980 and 1984
- In Led Zeppelin's 1970 album, Led Zeppelin III, the "Midnight Sun" is referenced in the Immigrant Song "We come from the land of the ice and snow where the midnight sun and the hot springs blow" (in reference to Iceland), even though most of Iceland is below the polar circle. Led Zeppelin were Year 1970 ( MCMLXX) was a Common year starting on Thursday (link shows full calendar of the Gregorian calendar. Led Zeppelin III is the third album by English rock band Led Zeppelin. " Immigrant Song " is the opening track on English rock band Led Zeppelin's third album, Led Zeppelin III
- On the Comets on Fire album Blue Cathedral there is a song titled "The Antlers of the Midnight Sun". Comets on Fire is a Psychedelic rock band from Santa Cruz, California. Blue Cathedral is the third studio album by Comets on Fire. It was released in 2004 on the Sub Pop label
- In The Outfield's song "Say It Isn't So", the song mentions "walking in the Midnight Sun once again". The Outfield is a British Pop/rock band based in London. They began recording during the mid-1980s and released their first album Play Deep
- The Electric Light Orchestra hit song Do Ya opens with the singer mentioning "babies dancin' in the midnight sun". Do Ya is a song written by Jeff Lynne and recorded by The Move, that became a hit for the Electric Light Orchestra (led by Jeff Lynne ELO originally
- Warren Zevon's Roland the Headless Thompson Gunner hailed from the "Land of the Midnight Sun". Warren William Zevon (January 24 1947 &ndash September 7 2003 was a Grammy Award -winning American rock Singer-songwriter and Musician " Roland the Headless Thompson Gunner " is a song composed by Warren Zevon and David Lindell and performed by Zevon
- Al Di Meola's debut jazz-fusion release on Columbia Records in 1976 was also called "Land of the Midnight Sun". Al Di Meola (born Al Laurence Dimeola July 22, 1954 in Jersey City New Jersey) is an Italian American Jazz fusion and Latin jazz
- Midnight Sun is the name of a Cirque du Soleil performance, that was held in Montreal, Canada in 2004. Cirque du Soleil (French for "Circus of the Sun" in English sɜrk duː soʊˈleɪ is an entertainment company
- Midnight Sun is the name of a Swedish heavy metal band. The band features Jonas Reingold of The Flower Kings.
- Midnattsol (Midnight Sun) is the name of a German/Norwegian heavy metal band fronted by Carmen Elise Espenæs. Midnattsol is a Symphonic metal and Folk metal band from Germany and Norway.
- Midnight Sun is the name of a song on the 1983 Asia (band) album Alpha (album). Asia is a rock group formed in 1981. The band was labelled a supergroup and included former members of veteran Progressive rock bands Alpha is a 1983 album by rock quartet Asia. After the huge commercial success of their first album Asia, Alpha sold relatively
- "Land of the Midnight Sun" is a song on Colin Hay's album, Are You Lookin' At Me?. Colin Hay (born Colin James Hay, 29 June 1953, Kilwinning, North Ayrshire, Scotland) is a Scottish Musician Are You Lookin' At Me? is an Album by Scottish Singer Colin Hay, released in 2007 on April 24.
- "Midnight Sun" is a song by Finnish freeform hardcore group Re-form. Freeform Hardcore (also known as Trancecore in its formative years although this term can also refer to darker Gabber/Trance hybrids is a form of Hard Dance
- "Midnight Sun" is a song by Japanese metal band Sigh.
- "Midnight Sun" is a track from the soundtrack of Resident Evil Code: Veronica, for a section of the game over the Antarctic area. Resident Evil Code Veronica, released in Japan as, is the fourth game in Capcom 's Resident Evil Survival horror
- "Summer Night City", a song by ABBA, is about the white nights in Stockholm, and the music video for the song shows several shots of the extended twilight. " Summer Night City " written by Björn Ulvaeus and Benny Andersson, is ABBA 's second non-album single released on September 6
- "Midnight Sun" is a song by Garth Brooks.
- "Midnight Sun" is a song by psychedelic rock band Speck Mountain. Speck Mountain is a psychedelic rock band based out of Chicago Illinois.
Games and sports
- The Midnight Sun Game is a baseball game played annually on the night of the summer solstice in Fairbanks, Alaska. The Midnight Sun Game is a Baseball game played every summer Solstice at Growden Memorial Park in Fairbanks, Alaska, United States Baseball is a Bat-and-ball Sport played between two teams of nine players each Fairbanks (ˈfɛrbæŋks is a Home Rule City in Fairbanks North Star Borough, Alaska, United States.
- Midnight Sun is the name of a Multi User Dungeon (MUD) game. In computer gaming, a MUD ( Multi-User Dungeon, Domain or Dimension) is a multi-player computer game that combines elements of
- In the PC game Battlefield 2, a map in the Armored Fury booster pack is called Midnight Sun and takes place in Alaska during the night. Battlefield 2 (abbreviated to BF2) is a computer game by the Swedish developer Digital Illusions in which players
- In the PC game Deus Ex, a fictional newspaper containing conspiracy theories which can be read at several points throughout the game is named Midnight Sun. Deus Ex (abbreviated DX and pronounced as ˌdeɪəsˈɛks day-uss ex) is a Cyberpunk -themed Action role-playing game developed
- In the Live Action Game/Sport Amtgard, there is a Duchey named "Midnight Sun" in Garland, TX
The Tromsø Midnight Sun Marathon is a marathon run known for actually running in the midnight sun. Amtgard is a live-action Fantasy roleplaying and boffer combat game primarily based in the United States as well as other countries (Germany Tromsø Midnight Sun Marathon is a Midnight Sun Marathon hosted by the Norwegian city Tromsø in June each year
- Land of the Midnight Sun
- Polar night - The opposite phenomenon experienced in winter: A day without sunrise. The Land of the Midnight Sun is used to refer to many northern regions in the world above the Arctic Circle including Sweden The polar night is the night lasting more than 24 hours usually inside the Polar circles The opposite phenomenon when the sun stays above the horizon for a long time is called
© 2009 citizendia.org; parts available under the terms of GNU Free Documentation License, from http://en.wikipedia.org
network: | |