"Mickey" is a 1982 hit U. Toni Basil (born Antonia Christina Basilotta; September 22 1943) is an American Musician, video Artist, Year 1982 ( MCMLXXXII) was a Common year starting on Friday (link displays the 1982 Gregorian calendar) Year 1979 ( MCMLXXIX) was a Common year starting on Monday (link displays the 1979 Gregorian calendar) A music genre is a categorical and typological construct that identifies musical sounds as belonging to a particular category and type of music that can be distinguished from other Rock music is a genre of Popular music often though not necessarily employing Electric guitar, Bass guitar, and Drums. Power pop (or powerpop) is a popular Musical genre that draws its inspiration from 1960s British and American pop and Rock music. A songwriter is someone who writes the Lyrics to songs the Musical composition (chords or Melody to songs or both Mike Chapman (born Michael Chapman 15 April 1947, Nambour, Queensland, Australia) is an Australian born Record producer Nicky Chinn (born Nicholas Barry Chinn, 16 May 1945, London, England) is an English Songwriter and Record In the Music industry, a record producer or music producer has many roles among them controlling the recording sessions coaching and guiding the musicians organizing Mike Chapman (born Michael Chapman 15 April 1947, Nambour, Queensland, Australia) is an Australian born Record producer Toni Basil (born Antonia Christina Basilotta; September 22 1943) is an American Musician, video Artist, S. pop song recorded by singer and choreographer Toni Basil. Pop music as a genre features a noticeable rhythmic element catchy melodies and hooks, a mainstream style and conventional structure Toni Basil (born Antonia Christina Basilotta; September 22 1943) is an American Musician, video Artist, Written by Mike Chapman and Nicky Chinn as "Kitty," it was first recorded by UK pop group Racey in 1979. Mike Chapman (born Michael Chapman 15 April 1947, Nambour, Queensland, Australia) is an Australian born Record producer Nicky Chinn (born Nicholas Barry Chinn, 16 May 1945, London, England) is an English Songwriter and Record The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, commonly known as the United Kingdom, the UK or Britain,is a Sovereign state located Racey was a British pop group, formed in 1976 in Weston-super-Mare, by Singer Phil Fursdon and Clive Wilson Basil's crush on actor and Monkee Micky Dolenz during her work as a choreographer/dancer on the set of the Monkees 1968 movie, Head prompted her to change the lyrics to "Mickey" to better suit her real-life experience, and the gender from female to male. For the group's self-titled album see The Monkees (album. For the TV series see The Monkees (TV series. George Michael Dolenz Jr (born March 8, 1945) is an American Actor, Musician, Television director and theatre See also, Choreography (literally "dance-writing" from the Greek words "χορεία" (circular dance see chorea) and "γραφή" For the group's self-titled album see The Monkees (album. For the TV series see The Monkees (TV series. Year 1968 ( MCMLXVIII) was a Leap year starting on Monday (link will display full calendar of the Gregorian calendar. Head is a psychedelic Motion picture released in 1968, starring TV group The Monkees (in credit order Peter The single reached number one on the U. S. Billboard Hot 100 and number two in the UK singles chart. The UK Singles Chart is compiled by The Official UK Charts Company (OCC on behalf of the British record industry It is usually considered a one-hit wonder. A one-hit wonder is a Music industry term to describe an artist generally known for only one hit single.
"Mickey" is one of the most famous cheerleading songs. Cheerleading is a Sport that uses organized routines made from elements of Tumbling, Dance, jumps and stunting to direct spectators of events The line "Oh Mickey, you're so fine/ You're so fine you blow my mind/ Hey Mickey! Hey Mickey!" is also a favorite among cheerleaders. The guitars in the song sound quite similar to The Knack's "My Sharona". " My Sharona " is the 1979 debut single released by rock band The Knack, off their album Get the Knack.
George Michael 'Mickey' Dolenz, 39 years after the events leading to his being named in the song
Basil also recorded a spanish version of the song, becoming number 1 in Mexico. The United Mexican States ( or commonly Mexico (ˈmɛksɪkoʊ () is a federal constitutional Republic in North America. To this date, "Mickey" is mistaken with the singer Luis Miguel (the name "Mickey" is sometimes an alias for the name "Miguel", Mike in english). Luis Miguel Gallego Basteri (born April 19, 1970) known as Luis Miguel, is a
Cover versions and parodies
- "Weird Al" Yankovic parodied this song on his self titled debut album as "Ricky", a parody of and tribute to I Love Lucy. Alfred Matthew "Weird Al" Yankovic (ˈjæŋkəvɪk born October 23 1959 is a Grammy Award winning American singer Musician, actor satirist "Weird Al" Yankovic is the eponymous debut Album by "Weird Al" Yankovic, released in 1983 " Ricky " is a song by "Weird Al" Yankovic. It is a parody of " Mickey " by Toni Basil. I Love Lucy is an American Situation comedy, starring Lucille Ball, Desi Arnaz, Vivian Vance and William Frawley
- Irish girl group B*Witched covered the song for the 2000 cheerleading film Bring It On. Ireland (pronounced /ˈaɾlənd/ Éire) is the third largest island in Europe, and the twentieth-largest island in the world B*Witched was an Irish Girl group who enjoyed success in both Europe and North America between 1998 and 2000 releasing two albums and eight singles all of which The year 2000 in film involved some significant events Events Top grossing films Please note that following the tradition of the Bring It On (2000 is a Film about two competing high school Cheerleading squads starring Kirsten Dunst, Eliza Dushku, Jesse The film's closing credits had most of the cast lip-syncing and dancing to the song while the credits rolled. Closing credits, inside a Motion picture or Television program come at the end of a movie or show and list all the cast and crew involved in the production Lip-sync or Lip-synch (short for lip Synchronization) is a technical term for matching lip movements with voice
- Swedish pop singer Carola Häggkvist had a hit in Scandinavia with a Swedish language version of "Mickey" in 1983, with lyrics written by Ingela "Pling" Forsman. Carola Maria Häggkvist (born 8 September 1966) better known as simply Carola, is a Swedish singer and occasional songwriter Terminology and usage As a cultural term "Scandinavia" has no official definition and is subject to usage by those who identify with the culture in question as well Swedish ( is a North Germanic language spoken by more than nine million people predominantly in Sweden and parts of Finland, especially along the Ingela 'Pling' Forsman, born August 26 1950 in Essinge, Sweden, is a Swedish lyricist in Popular music and Schlager
- "Hey Mickey" has also been recorded in Portuguese by Brazilian star Xuxa and in French by the American singer Tanja Solnik. Xuxa (ˈʃuʃɐ "shoo-shah" - Maria da Graça Xuxa Meneghel, March 27 1963 Santa Rosa, Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil) is a Brazilian
- The UK singer Lolly reached number four in the UK singles chart in 1999 with a cover of this song. Lolly (born Anna Kumble, 27 June 1978, Sutton Coldfield) is a British pop star.
- Mexican group Timbiriche recorded this song in Spanish in 1983. Timbiriche is the name of a Mexican group that debuted on April 30, 1982 during a broadcast of the news program Hoy Mismo with Guillermo Ochoa
- Japanese comedian-musician Gorie stayed on top of the Japanese single charts for two weeks with a version featuring vocals by American born Jasmine Ann Allen. Toshiyuki Teruya ( 22 May 1972, Okinawa, Japan) better known as or, is a Ryukyuan comedian variety show host Jasmine Marika (Jasmine Ann Allen (ジャスミン茉莉花 (born September 1, 1985, Washington, U
- The song was remade by Cheerleading Mixes.
- The Riplets, an all-girl punk rock band from the Netherlands, released a cover in 2004 on their second album Love Special Delivery Boy.
- John B released a cover in 2006 on his album Electrostep.
- The character Kahn sings the song along with his jukebox in an episode of King of the Hill. King of the Hill is an American animated series created by Mike Judge and Greg Daniels for the Fox Broadcasting Company
- Wizard Rock band The Whomping Willows released a cover of this song on his album III, entitled "Hey Remus", and with lyrics rewritten to be sang by The Whomping Willow to Remus Lupin. The Harry Potter Fandom is a large international and informal community drawn together by J Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry is a setting in J K The Order of the Phoenix is a fictional Organisation in the Harry Potter series of books written by J Another WRock band, Draco and the Malfoys, also covered the chorus in their song "Hey Neville". Draco and the Malfoys are an Indie rock and wizard rock band formed in Woonsocket, Rhode Island in 2004 by half-brothers Brian Ross and Neville Longbottom is a Fictional character in
In popular culture
Lionel Richie is the debut solo album by R&B singer Lionel Richie. Lionel Brockman Richie Jr (born June 20 1949 is an Academy Award and Grammy award-winning American Singer, Songwriter, Pre-Hot 100 era 1940 1941 1942 1943 1944 1945 1946 1947 1948 1949 1950 Toni Basil (born Antonia Christina Basilotta; September 22 1943) is an American Musician, video Artist, Events 359 - Honoratus, the first known Prefect of the City of Constantinople, takes office Year 1982 ( MCMLXXXII) was a Common year starting on Friday (link displays the 1982 Gregorian calendar) " Maneater " is a single recorded by American duo Hall & Oates from their 1982 album H2O. Hall & Oates are a Pop music duo made up of Daryl Hall and John Oates. is a Japanese Hard rock duo comprised of and Koshi Inaba (稲葉 浩志 Inaba Kōshi, lyrics vocals Toshiyuki Teruya ( 22 May 1972, Okinawa, Japan) better known as or, is a Ryukyuan comedian variety show host Jasmine Marika (Jasmine Ann Allen (ジャスミン茉莉花 (born September 1, 1985, Washington, U Events 451 - The Battle of Chalons takes place in North Eastern France. "MMIV" redirects here For the Modest Mouse album see " Baron von Bullshit Rides Again " Events 489 - Odoacer attacks Theodoric at the Battle of Verona and is defeated again is a rising Japanese seven-man music & entertainment group hailing from the country's Kansai region
- In the first episode of the cartoon series, Johnny Bravo, the titular character ends up on an island of Amazon women. For the Stratovarius album see Episode (album. An episode is a part of a Dramatic work such as a serial television Johnny Bravo is an American animated series created by Van Partible. Amazon feminism is dedicated to the image of the female hero in Fiction and in fact as expressed in the Physiques and feats of female athletes martial artists He meets a tall woman gathering coconuts from a palm tree and asks what her name is. The Coconut Palm ( Cocos nucifera) is a member of the Family Arecaceae (palm family Arecaceae or Palmae (also known by the name Palmaceae, which is taxonomically invalid or commonly palm tree) the palm family is a family of Flowering He guesses her name is "Mickey" and tells her it's because "she's so fine. She's so fine [she blows his mind]". Unflattered, she kicks him off her wheelbarrow. A wheelbarrow is a small hand-propelled vehicle usually with just one Wheel, designed to be pushed and guided by a single person using two handles to the rear or a sail
- It has been used by the Walt Disney Corporation in advertising campaigns, with reference to Mickey Mouse. Mickey Mouse is a comic animal Cartoon character who has become an icon for The Walt Disney Company.
- The song was also used by disgruntled Cincinnati Bengals fans showing their displeasure at team owner Mike Brown for his inability to field a competitive team during the 1990's until 2002. The Cincinnati Bengals are a professional American football team based in Cincinnati, Ohio. Michael "Mike" Brown (born 1937 is the franchise owner of the Cincinnati Bengals, an American football team in the National Football League The song was renamed "Hey Mikey".
- The song is also the theme tune for prominent Canadian football expert Mickey Fairplay, who frequently gives his opinion on footballing matters in the UK.
- The song was sampled by Nitty in the song, "Hey Bitty", which can be found on his album Player's Paradise. Frank Ross (born December 23, 1977) better known by Stage name Nitty is a Pop rap artist from The Bronx who started his Player's Paradise is the second album by Rapper and producer, Nitty.
- The song appears in the cheerleading scene at the end of Big Momma's House 2. Big Momma's House 2 is a 2006 comedy starring Martin Lawrence and co-starring Nia Long, Emily Procter, Zachary Levi and Mark
- Micky Park Yoochun from the popular Korean a cappella boyband, Dong Bang Shin Ki usually has this song as his theme song whenever he appears on variety shows. TVXQ (often stylized TVXQ!) an acronym for Tong Vfang Xien Qi (東方神起 is a Quintet South Korean Boy band formed under
- In the 1992 film Wayne's World, Mike Myers suddenly starts singing "Mickey" in the car, explaining to Tia Carrere that it is the last song he had heard before leaving the house that day. Wayne's World is a 1992 Comedy film starring Mike Myers as Wayne Campbell and Dana Carvey as Garth Algar hosts of the Aurora Michael John "Mike" Myers (born May 25, 1963) is a Canadian Actor, Comedian, Screenwriter and Film producer Tia Carrere (born January 2 1967) is an American actress, model, and Singer, perhaps most widely known for her role Earworm may also refer to the Helicoverpa zea (corn earworm or the musician DJ Earworm.
- Regarding the song "Girlfriend" by Avril Lavigne, critics have stated that it sounds similar to "Mickey". " Girlfriend " a song by Canadian singer Avril Lavigne, is the Lead single from her third album The Best Damn Thing Avril Lavigne Whibley (born September 27 1984 better known by her birth name of Avril Lavigne (ˈævrɨl ləˈviːn is a Canadian Grammy Award
- In "The Principal and the Pauper", a season nine episode of The Simpsons, the real Seymour Skinner asks Bart's class to recite the pledge of allegiance and Bart responds with the line "Hey, America. " The Principal and the Pauper " is the second episode of The Simpsons ' ninth season. Principal Seymour Skinner (born in Capitol City as Armin Tamzarian) is a Fictional character on the animated sitcom The Simpsons you're so fine you blow my mind, America".
- In the cheerleading movie Bring It On, this song was sung and danced to in the final scene of the movie, or the credits.
- The song's lyrics have been alleged contain a subversive tale of a woman's attempts to "turn" a gay man by offering him anal sex [].
© 2009 citizendia.org; parts available under the terms of GNU Free Documentation License, from http://en.wikipedia.org
network: | |