A megalopolis (or megapolis) is defined as an extensive metropolitan area or a long chain of roughly continuous metropolitan areas. A metropolitan area is a large population center consisting of a large Metropolis and its adjacent zone of influence or of more than one closely adjoining neighboring central The term was first used in the United States by Jean Gottmann in 1957, to describe the huge metropolitan area along the Eastern seaboard of the U. (Iona Jean Gottmann ( October 10, 1915 &ndash February 28, 1994) was a French Geographer who was most widely known for coining the A metropolitan area is a large population center consisting of a large Metropolis and its adjacent zone of influence or of more than one closely adjoining neighboring central The East Coast of the United States, also known as the "Eastern Seaboard" or "Atlantic Seaboard" refers to the easternmost coastal states in the central and northern S. from Boston, Massachusetts, New York City and Washington, D.C. According to Gottmann, it resulted from changes in work and social habits. The City of New York Washington DC ( formally the District of Columbia and commonly referred to as Washington, the District, or simply D See also: BosWash, ChiPitts, Quebec City-Windsor Corridor, SanSan, and Bajalta California. Northeastern_United_States#The_Northeast_as_a_megalopolis BosWash (also referred to as BoWash, BosNYwash, the Northeast Corridor, the ChiPitts (also called the Great Lakes Megalopolis) is a group of Metropolitan areas in the Great Lakes region or Midwest of the United States Sansan is a commune in the Gers department in southwestern France. Bajalta California is the urban complex straddling the Mexico–United States border at the Pacific Ocean. A megalopolis is also frequently a megacity, megapolitan area, or a metropolitan area with a total population in excess of 10 million people. A megacity is generally defined as a Metropolitan area with a total Population in excess of 10 million people A Megapolitan Area is a clustered network of American cities whose population exceeds or will exceed 10 million by the
Megalopolis is used in urban studies as a term to link the metropolitan Combined Statistical Areas of Boston-Worcester-Manchester, MA-RI-NH; Springfield, MA-Holyoke, MA, Hartford-West Hartford-Willimantic, CT; New York-Newark-Bridgeport, NY-NJ-CT-PA; Philadelphia-Camden-Vineland, PA-NJ-DE-MD; and Washington-Baltimore-Northern Virginia, DC-MD-VA-WV. Urban Studies is the term for a diverse range of disciplines and approaches to the study of all aspects of cities their suburbs and other urban areas Table of United States Combined Statistical AreasThe United States Office of Management and Budget (OMB defines micropolitan and metropolitan statistical areas. Worcester (ˈwʊstɚ is a City in the state of Massachusetts in the United States of America. Manchester is the largest city in the US state of New Hampshire and the largest city of northern New England, an area composed of Vermont, The Commonwealth of Massachusetts ( is a state located in the New England region of the northeastern United States. Rhode Island ( officially named the State of Rhode Island and Providence Plantations, is a state in the New England region of the United States New Hampshire ( is a state in the New England region of the northeastern United States of America. Springfield is a City in and the County seat of Hampden County, Massachusetts, United States. "West Hartford" redirects here For the unincorporated community in Vermont, see West Hartford, Vermont. For the town in Maine named after this one see Willimantic, Maine. Connecticut ( is a state located in the New England region of the northeastern United States of America. The City of New York Newark is the largest city in New Jersey, United States and the County seat of Essex County. New York ( is a state in the Mid-Atlantic and Northeastern regions of the United States and is the nation's third most populous New Jersey ( is a state in the Mid-Atlantic and Northeastern regions of the United States. The Commonwealth of Pennsylvania ( often colloquially referred to as PA (its abbreviation by natives and Northeasterners is a state located in the Northeastern Philadelphia (ˌfɪləˈdɛlfiə The City of Camden is the County seat of Camden County, New Jersey, in the United States. Vineland is a city in Cumberland County, New Jersey, United States. Delaware ( is a state located on the Atlantic Coast in the Mid-Atlantic region of the United States. The Commonwealth of Virginia ( is an American state Washington DC ( formally the District of Columbia and commonly referred to as Washington, the District, or simply D The Commonwealth of Virginia ( is an American state West Virginia ( is a state in the Appalachian Upland South, and Mid-Atlantic regions of the United States, bordered by
The Pittsburgh–Chicago Corridor is an urban studies term that describes the area running through the Rust Belt from the Mid-Atlantic States to the Western Great Lakes region, although great spans of agricultural land and woodlots separates the urban areas. Chicago (ʃɪˈkɑːgoʊ is the largest City by population in the state of Illinois and the American Midwest of the United States. The Rust Belt, sometimes called the Manufacturing Belt, is an area in parts of the Northeastern United States, Mid-Atlantic States, and portions of the The Mid-Atlantic States (also called Middle Atlantic States or simply Mid Atlantic) form one of the nine geographic divisions within the United States that The Laurentian Great Lakes are a chain of freshwater lakes located in eastern North America, on the Canada–United States border. Within this megalopolis, the Steel City Corridor describes the area connecting Cleveland to Pittsburgh via Youngstown and Warren, Ohio, and Sharon–Farrell–New Castle, Pennsylvania. Cleveland is a City in the US state of Ohio and the County seat of Cuyahoga County, the most populous county in the state Youngstown is a city in the US state of Ohio and the County seat of Mahoning County. Warren is a city in the US state of Ohio and the County seat of Trumbull County. Sharon is a city in Mercer County, Pennsylvania, in the United States, 75 miles (121 km northwest of Pittsburgh. Farrell is a city in Mercer County, Pennsylvania, United States. New Castle is a city in Lawrence County, Pennsylvania, 50 miles (80 km northwest of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania and 18 miles (30 km east Historically, these areas are known as the Steel Valleys (along the Mahoning and Shenango rivers). The Mahoning River is a river located in eastern Ohio and western Pennsylvania. The Shenango River is a principal Tributary of the Beaver River, approximately 100 mi (160 km long in western Pennsylvania in the United
Modern interlinked ground transportation corridors, such as rail and highway, often aid in the development of megalopolises.
Extension of term
Although U. S. -based demographers did not look beyond the U. S. and Canada, there exists roughly the same concept and structures worldwide, namely "long chains of roughly continuous metropolitan areas". Some of these terms already exist conceptually in their respective nations, albeit not using (nor aware of) the U. S. term megalopolis. The following is a list of dense, built up areas of multiple large cities each with suburbs that coalesce into one large urban zone or corridor, with few or little rural areas in between. Like U. S. megalopolises, they often have a strong interlinked ground transportation backbone (rail, highway, etc) aiding in their growth. Night sky views of nations often show lit up these areas making them very obvious compared to their surroundings. They can be thought of as a worldwide (non-U. S. centric) extension of the term megalopolis.
This list is merely as a list of continuously built up areas. Population estimates are a general guide, but the criteria are not meant for comparison. A lot of variation applies when comparing chains of metropolitan areas, as there can be several metropolitan areas definitions even for the same city, and methods differ from city to city, nation to nation, and year to year.
- Taiheiyō Belt in Japan (roughly 82. The also known as Tokaido corridor is the name for the Megalopolis in Japan extending from Ibaraki Prefecture in the north all the way to Fukuoka Prefecture 9 million)
- Boston–Providence–Hartford–Manchester–New York City–Newark–Philadelphia–Wilmington–Baltimore–Washington D.C., known as BosWash or the Northeast Corridor, the most populous and largely developed area in the Western Hemisphere (55 million)
- Sao Paulo-Campinas-Santos-Sorocaba-Jundiaí-São José dos Campos-Taubaté in Brazil (29 million)
- Mexico City (plus 60 municipalities in the State of Mexico and Tizayuca, Hidalgo) in Mexico (over 21 million)
- Beijing–Tianjin–Tangshan in China (23 million, all other Hebei cities excluded)
- Jakarta–Depok-Bogor–Tangerang–Bekasi (Jabodetabek)-Purwakarta–Bandung in Indonesia (28 million)
- Ayutthaya-Bangkok-Pattaya-Chon Buri-Nakhon Ratchasima in Thailand contains approx. Manchester is the largest city in the US state of New Hampshire and the largest city of northern New England, an area composed of Vermont, The City of New York Newark is the largest city in New Jersey, United States and the County seat of Essex County. Philadelphia (ˌfɪləˈdɛlfiə Wilmington is the largest city in the state of Delaware, United States and is located at the confluence of the Christina River and Brandywine Washington DC ( formally the District of Columbia and commonly referred to as Washington, the District, or simply D Northeastern_United_States#The_Northeast_as_a_megalopolis BosWash (also referred to as BoWash, BosNYwash, the Northeast Corridor, the The Northeast Corridor ( NEC) is the busiest passenger rail line in the United States by ridership and service frequency The Western Hemisphere, also Western hemisphere or western hemisphere, is a geographical term for the half of the Earth that lies West São Paulo ( is the largest city in Brazil, with its metropolitan area ranking among the largest urban areas in the world Campinas (kɐ̃ːˈpinɐs is a city and county ( município) located in the state of São Paulo, Brazil. Sorocaba is a city in southeastern Brazil, in the southwestern portion of São Paulo State (96 km west of Sao Paulo City Jundiaí is a city and Municipality in the state of São Paulo, Brazil. São José dos Campos is a municipality and a major city in the state of São Paulo, Brazil and one of the most important industrial and research centers in Taubaté is a city in the State of São Paulo, in southeastern Brazil. |utc_offset = -2 to -4 |time_zone_DST = BRST |utc_offset_DST = -2 to -5 |cctld Mexico City (in Spanish: Ciudad de México, México DF, México or simply Méjico) is the Capital city of Mexico Mexico State or State of Mexico (often abbreviated to " Edomex " from Estado de México in Spanish) is a state in the The United Mexican States ( or commonly Mexico (ˈmɛksɪkoʊ () is a federal constitutional Republic in North America. ( Postal map spelling: Tientsin) is the second largest city in northern coastal China. Tangshan ( is a mainly industrial Prefecture-level city in Hebei province People's Republic of China. China ( Wade-Giles ( Mandarin) Chung¹kuo² is a cultural region, an ancient Civilization, and depending on perspective a National ( Postal map spelling: Hopeh) is a northern province of the People's Republic of China. Jakarta (also DKI Jakarta) is the Capital and largest city of Indonesia. Depok is a city in West Java, Indonesia. It is part of the Jabotabek metropolitan area Bogor is a city in West Java with a population of approximately 800000 people in the CBD area and 2000000 in suburban area bringing a total of 3 million population Tangerang is a City in Banten, Indonesia. It is located about 20 km west of Jakarta. Bekasi is a growing city in Indonesia, located in the east of Jakarta in the Jabotabek region Jabotabek or Jabodetabek is the term given to the Metropolitan area surrounding Jakarta, Indonesia. Purwakarta is the capital of the Purwakarta Regency of West Java, Indonesia. Bandung (bʌndʊŋ is the capital of West Java province in Indonesia, and the country's fourth largest city The Republic of Indonesia ( (Republik Indonesia is a Country in Southeast Asia. Ayutthaya (full name Phra Nakhon Si Ayutthaya, พระนครศรีอยุธยา aˡjutʰajaː also spelled "Ayudhya" city is the capital of Bangkok, known in Thai as Krung Thep Maha Nakhon (krūŋtʰêːp máhǎːnákʰɔn) or Krung Thep ( for short is the Capital, largest Pattaya (พัทยา,) is a city in Thailand, located on the east coast of the Gulf of Thailand ( about 165 km southeast of Bangkok located Chonburi (ชลบุรี) is a province ( changwat) of Thailand. Nakhon Ratchasima (นครราชสีมา naˡkʰon ˡraːtʃasiːˈmaː is a city ( thesaban nakhon) in the north-east ( The Kingdom of Thailand (ˈtaɪlænd ราชอาณาจักรไทย, râːtɕʰa-ʔaːnaːtɕɑ̀k-tʰɑj over 20 million
- West coast of Taiwan, from Taipei to Kaohsiung (18 million)
- Rhine-Ruhr in the western part of Germany (approx. Taiwan ( Taiwanese: Tâi-oân/Tāi-oân (historically 大灣/台員/大員/台圓/大圓/台窩灣 is an Island in East Asia. Taipei ( Taiwanese Pe̍h-ōe-jī: Tâi-pak-chhī Jhuyin Fuhao: ㄊㄞˊ ㄅㄟˇ ㄕˋ Hakka: Thòi-pet-sṳ has been the capital of The Rhine-Ruhr Area (Rhein-Ruhr in Germany is one of the largest Metropolitan areas in Europe with about 11800000 inhabitants Germany, officially the Federal Republic of Germany ( ˈbʊndəsʁepuˌbliːk ˈdɔʏtʃlant is a Country in Central Europe. 12 million incl. Cologne, Düsseldorf, Dortmund)
- Most of South Korea (Incheon–Seoul–Daejon–Daegu–Busan) (32 million)
- Delhi–New Delhi-Gurgaon-Faridabad-Noida-Ghaziabad, India (18 million)
- Cairo-Giza-Kalyoubia (Greater Cairo), Egypt (16 million)
- Los Angeles--Riverside--San Bernardino--Orange--Ventura--San Diego--Santa Barbara--Imperial counties-Tijuana, Mexicali and Ensenada, Mexico, collectively known as Southern California (or Bajalta California) (24 million; 21 million in S. Düsseldorf (ˈdʏsəldɔɐf is the capital city of the German state of North Rhine-Westphalia. Dortmund (ˈdɔʁtmʊnt is a City in Germany, located in the Bundesland of North Rhine-Westphalia, in the Ruhr area. Incheon is a metropolitan city and a major seaport on the west coast of South Korea, near Seoul. Seoul ( soʊl is the Capital and largest City of South Korea. Daejeon ( is a capital city of Chungcheongnamdo Province and metropolitan city in the center of South Korea. Daegu (pronounced) also spelled Taegu (pronounced) officially called Daegu Metropolitan City, is the fourth largest city in South Korea after Delhi (दिल्ली ਦਿੱਲੀ دلی d̪ɪlːiː sometimes referred to as Dilli) is the second largest metropolis of India, with a population New Delhi (नई दिल्ली ਨਵੀਂ ਦਿੱਲੀ نئی دلی is the Capital city of India. Gurgaon (गुड़गांव is the sixth largest City in the Indian state of Haryana. Faridabad, (फरीदाबाद is a city and a Municipal corporation in Faridabad district in the state of Haryana, India. WikipediaWikiProject Indian cities for details--> Ghaziabad ( Hindi: गाज़ियाबाद Urdu: غازی آباد) is an industrial Cairo () which means "the Vanquisher" or "the Triumphant" is the capital and largest city of Egypt. You may have been looking for the Great Pyramid of Giza. For the three pyramids of Giza visit the Giza pyramid complex. Cairo () which means "the Vanquisher" or "the Triumphant" is the capital and largest city of Egypt. Los Angeles (lɑˈsændʒələs los ˈaŋxeles in Spanish) is the largest City in the state of California and the American West Riverside is the County seat of Riverside County, California, United States. Orange County is a county in Southern California, United States. Incorporated in 1866 the city of San Buenaventura (usually referred to as Ventura) is the County seat of Ventura Santa Barbara County is a County located on the Pacific coast of the southern portion of the U Imperial County is a County located in the Imperial Valley, in the far southeast of the U Tijuana (ˌtiːəˈwɑːnə Spanish, ti'xwana|ti'ʍana is the largest city of the Mexican state of Baja California, situated on the U Mexicali, is the capital of the Mexican state of Baja California. Southern California, or So Cal, is defined as the southern portion of the U Bajalta California is the urban complex straddling the Mexico–United States border at the Pacific Ocean. Cal; 3+ million in Baja California, Mexico)
- San Francisco- Oakland- San Jose- Monterey- Salinas- Santa Rosa- Napa Valley- Sacramento- Stockton- Modesto- Fresno, California known as the Bay Area (San Francisco and Monterey) and outlying areas in Northern California; (11 million)
- Kolkata–Asansol, India (20 million)
- Mumbai–Pune, India (25 million)
- Lagos–Ibadan–Cotonou, including Porto Novo and Abeokuta, Nigeria (22 million)
- Extended Golden Horseshoe - London-Tillsonburg-Ingersoll-Woodstock-Kitchener/Waterloo-Guelph-Brantford-Hamilton-Greater Toronto Area-Oshawa/Whitby-Barrie-Peterborough-Cobourg-Niagara Falls, ON/NY-Buffalo (11 million, <9 million in ON, >2 million in NY)
- Metro Manila, Philippines (11 million)
- Quebec City-Windsor Corridor (17 million - Canadian population only; >25 million if U. The City and County of San Francisco is the fourth most populous city Oakland (ˈoʊklənd founded in 1852 is the eighth-largest city in the U Salinas is the County seat and largest municipality of Monterey County in the U Santa Rosa is the County seat of Sonoma County California, United States Napa County is a County located north of the San Francisco Bay Area in the U Stockton is a City in California and the seat of San Joaquin County (the fifth largest agricultural county in the United States Modesto is the County seat of Stanislaus County in the US state of California. California ( is a US state on the West Coast of the United States, along the Pacific Ocean. The San Francisco Bay Area, commonly known as the Bay Area, or the Bay, is a geographically and ethnically diverse metropolitan region that surrounds the Northern California is the northern portion of the US state of California. Asansol (আসানসোল a coal-mining-industrial-commercial centre is the second largest city in West Bengal, after Kolkata. Mumbai ( Marathi:,, IPA: formerly Bombay, is the capital of the Indian state of Maharashtra and the financial Pune (ˈpuːneɪ Marathi: पुणे Hindi: पूना formerly Poona, is the second largest city in the state of Maharashtra Lagos ( pron ˈleɪgɒs or /ˈlɑːgoʊs/ overseas is the most populous Conurbation in Nigeria with Ibadan (Ìlú Èbá-Ọdàn the town at the junction the savannah and the forest the Capital of Oyo State, is the third largest city Cotonou is the economic capital of Benin, as well as its largest city Abeokuta is a city in Ogun State in southwest Nigeria and is situated at, on the Ogun River; 64 miles north of Lagos by railway or 81 As far as I know the Golden Horseshoe is ancient history and this page should be renamed (or forwarded to to Greater Golden Horseshoe now that Statistics Canada is (finally using the same London is a city in Southwestern Ontario, Canada along the Quebec City-Windsor Corridor with a metropolitan area population of 457720 the city proper Tillsonburg Ontario is a Town in Oxford County, Ontario. Tillsonburg is a town of 14822 History area was settled in 1825 by Ingersoll (2006 population 11760 is a Town in Oxford County on the Thames River in southwestern Ontario Woodstock (2006 population 35480 is a City and the county seat of Oxford County in southwestern Ontario The City of Kitchener (ˈkɪtʃɨnɚ is a City in southwestern Ontario, Canada. Waterloo is a City in Ontario, Canada. It is the smallest of the three cities in the Regional Municipality Brantford is a city located on the Grand River in south-western Ontario, Canada. Hamilton (ˈhæməltən ( 2006 population 504559 UA population 647634 CMA population The Greater Toronto Area (locally abbreviated as the GTA) is the most populous Metropolitan area in Canada. Whitby (2006 population 111184 is a Town in Ontario, Canada. Whitby is located east of Toronto Peterborough is a City on the Otonabee River in central-eastern Ontario, Canada, 125 kilometres Cobourg (2006 population 18210 is a town in the Canadian province of Ontario, located 110km east of Toronto. Niagara Falls is a Canadian City of 82184 residents Geography and Climate Niagara Falls Ontario Niagara Falls is a City in Niagara County, New York, United States. Buffalo (ˈbʌfəloʊ is the second largest city in New York State. Ontario (ɒnˈtɛrioʊ is a province located in the central part of Canada, the largest by population and second largest after Quebec New York ( is a state in the Mid-Atlantic and Northeastern regions of the United States and is the nation's third most populous Metropolitan Manila ( Filipino: Kalakhang Maynila, Kamaynilaan) or the National Capital Region (NCR ( Filipino: Pambansang S. border cities within 100 km included)
- The Gauteng City Region (PWV), which includes the urbanised portion of Gauteng Province (Johannesburg, Pretoria and the Vaal Triangle, with a population of over 10 million), and urban areas outside the province which are functionally linked, such as Witbank-Middelburg, Secunda, Rustenburg, and Potchefstroom-Klerksdorp, pushing the population up to between 15 and 20 million   
- Buenos Aires Metropolitan area ("Gran Buenos Aires") in Argentina with 14 million people, which includes the cities of Avellaneda, Lanús, Quilmes, Banfield, Longchamps, Laferrere, Merlo, Morón, Glew, Moreno, Hurlingham, San Martín, Vicente López, San Isidro, Tigre, San Fernando, Ciudadela, and others. Gauteng (xaʊˈtɛŋ Sotho xɑ́útʼèŋ̀ is a province of South Africa. The PWV Megalopolis ( Pretoria - Witwatersrand - Vereeniging) is the term referring to the contiguous urban centres lying almost linearly in the South Johannesburg ( Pronounced /jō-hān'ĭs-bûrg'/ is the largest city in South Africa. Pretoria is a city located in the northern part of Gauteng Province, South Africa. The Vaal Triangle is a triangular area of land formed by Vereeniging, Vanderbijlpark and Sasolburg - together they comprise a substantial urban Greater Buenos Aires ( Gran Buenos Aires, GBA in Spanish) is the generic denomination to refer to the Megalopolis comprised by the Autonomous city For a topic outline on this subject see List of basic Argentina topics.
- Chicago-Milwaukee-Madison-Rockford-South Bend (14 million)
- Istanbul-Bursa-Çanakkale, Turkey with at least 17 million people. The Chicago metropolitan area is the Metropolitan area associated with the city of Chicago in the United States and its suburbs The Milwaukee&ndashRacine&ndashWaukesha metropolitan area (also known as Greater Milwaukee) is an urban area that the U Madison is the capital of the US state of Wisconsin and the County seat of Dane County. Rockford is a mid-sized city located on both banks of the Rock River in far northern Illinois South Bend is a city on the St Joseph river and a twin city of Mishawaka Indiana. Istanbul (historically Byzantium and later Constantinople; see the other Names of Istanbul) is the largest city of Turkey Bursa (historically also known as Prussa, Greek: Προύσα and later as Brusa) is a city in northwestern Turkey and the seat Çanakkale (ʧɑˈnɑkːɑle is a town and seaport in Turkey, in Çanakkale Province, on the southern (Asian coast of the Dardanelles (or Turkey (Türkiye known officially as the Republic of Turkey ( is a Eurasian Country that stretches This is an example of a transcontinental megalopolis and Istanbul is a transcontinental city, since both cover land in both Asia and Europe. A transcontinental city is a city occupying portions of more than one continent
Less clear or potential areas would include:
- ChiPitts-Green Bay-Milwaukee-Chicago-Indianapolis-Rockford-Madison-Grand Rapids-Detroit/Windsor-Fort Wayne-Toledo-Cleveland-Columbus-Cincinnati-Pittsburgh-Erie-Buffalo-Toronto-Hamilton, covering portions of 7 U. ChiPitts (also called the Great Lakes Megalopolis) is a group of Metropolitan areas in the Great Lakes region or Midwest of the United States Green Bay is a city in and the County seat of Brown County in the U Chicago (ʃɪˈkɑːgoʊ is the largest City by population in the state of Illinois and the American Midwest of the United States. Madison is the capital of the US state of Wisconsin and the County seat of Dane County. Windsor is the southernmost city in Canada and lies at the western end of the heavily populated Quebec City-Windsor Corridor. Fort Wayne is a City in northeastern Indiana, United States and the County seat of Allen This article is about the city in Ohio, USA. For Toledo Spain, see that article Cleveland is a City in the US state of Ohio and the County seat of Cuyahoga County, the most populous county in the state Columbus is the Capital and the largest city of the US state of Ohio. Buffalo (ˈbʌfəloʊ is the second largest city in New York State. Toronto (təˈrɒntoʊ colloquially pronounced or) is the largest city in Canada and is the provincial capital of Ontario Hamilton (ˈhæməltən ( 2006 population 504559 UA population 647634 CMA population S. states and southern Ontario (see Rust Belt for historical name for same region, usage still exists but much less so than pre-1990 due to deindustrialization) (54 million)
- The multinational Blue Banana (Banane bleue in French, Blaue Banane in German, and Blauwe Banaan in Dutch) stretching from the conurbations of the West Midlands (region), North West England and Yorkshire and the Humber (around 6 million) and then through London (12 million) all in the United Kingdom, across the English Channel, through Paris (12 million), France, the Lille-Kortrijk-Tournai Euregion (1. The Rust Belt, sometimes called the Manufacturing Belt, is an area in parts of the Northeastern United States, Mid-Atlantic States, and portions of the São Paulo ( is the largest city in Brazil, with its metropolitan area ranking among the largest urban areas in the world Campinas (kɐ̃ːˈpinɐs is a city and county ( município) located in the state of São Paulo, Brazil. Rio de Janeiro ("River of January" ˈhiw dʒi ʒʌˈnejɾu in Brazilian Portuguese, /ˈriːoʊ di ʒəˈnɛroʊ/ in English is the second largest city of Brazil Belo Horizonte ( Portuguese for "beautiful horizon", (bɛloɾiˈzõtʃi) is the capital of Minas Gerais state located in the Sorocaba is a city in southeastern Brazil, in the southwestern portion of São Paulo State (96 km west of Sao Paulo City Jundiaí is a city and Municipality in the state of São Paulo, Brazil. São José dos Campos is a municipality and a major city in the state of São Paulo, Brazil and one of the most important industrial and research centers in Taubaté is a city in the State of São Paulo, in southeastern Brazil. Volta Redonda is the name of a city in the Rio de Janeiro state of Brazil with 18281 km² of area located from 350m to 707m from the sea level (22º31'23" Juiz de Fora is a city in the southeast of the Brazilian state of Minas Gerais, close to the state border with Divinópolis is a city and municipality located in the center-west of Minas Gerais state Brazil. Campos dos Goytacazes is a Municipality and city located in the northern area of Rio de Janeiro State, Brazil, with a population of 429667 inhabitants The Blue Banana (also known as the Hot Banana European Megalopolis or European Backbone) is a discontinuous corridor of urbanisation in Western Europe. The West Midlands is an official Region of England, covering the western half of the area traditionally known as the Midlands. North West England is one of the nine official Regions of England. Yorkshire and the Humber is one of the nine government office Regions of England. London ( ˈlʌndən is the capital and largest urban area in the United Kingdom. The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, commonly known as the United Kingdom, the UK or Britain,is a Sovereign state located Paris (ˈpærɨs in English; in French) is the Capital of France and the country's largest city This article is about the country For a topic outline on this subject see List of basic France topics. 8 million), France and Belgium, the Flemish Diamond (5. The Kingdom of Belgium is a Country in northwest Europe. It is a founding member of the European Union and hosts its headquarters as well as those The Flemish Diamond (in Dutch: Vlaamse Ruit) is a name of an area consisting of the central provinces of Flanders, Belgium. 5 million), Belgium, the Randstad (the Brabantse Stedenrij and Knooppunt Arnhem-Nijmegen agglomerations included) (10. ImageRandstad_with_scalepng|400px|thumb|right|Schematic map of the Randstadcircle 528 380 26 Schiphol rect 426 356 498 436 Haarlemmermeer rect 399 166 479 245 5 million), Netherlands, the Gronau-Enschede Euregion (3. The Netherlands ( Dutch:, ˈnedərlɑnt is the European part of the Kingdom of the Netherlands, which consists of the Netherlands the Netherlands or Eanske in the local dialect ( Twents) is a Municipality and a city in the eastern Netherlands, in the province of Overijssel, in the 2 million), Germany and the Netherlands the Meuse-Rhine Euregion (3. Germany, officially the Federal Republic of Germany ( ˈbʊndəsʁepuˌbliːk ˈdɔʏtʃlant is a Country in Central Europe. 9 million), Belgium, Netherlands and Germany, the Rhine-Ruhr in Germany, Frankfurt Rhine Main Area (5. The Rhine-Ruhr Area (Rhein-Ruhr in Germany is one of the largest Metropolitan areas in Europe with about 11800000 inhabitants 3 million), Germany, Basel metropolitan area (around 700. "Basilia" redirects here For the Fly Genus, see Basilia (fly. 000 people), Switzerland, Zurich metropolitan area (1. Switzerland (English pronunciation; Schweiz Swiss German: Schwyz or Schwiiz Suisse Svizzera Svizra officially the Swiss Confederation Zürich (, Zürich German: Züri, Zurich, Zurigo; in English generally Zurich) is the largest city in Switzerland and capital of the 3 million), Switzerland, to Milan (9 million) and Turin (2,5 million), Italy (Total around 85 million) (also called European Megalopolis). Milan (Milano Milan (listen) is one of the largest cities in Italy, located in the plains of Lombardy. Italy (Italia officially the Italian Republic, (Repubblica Italiana is located on the Italian Peninsula in Southern Europe, and on the two largest
- The Pearl River Delta (PRD) in Guangdong region, China could be considered a megalopolis, as it is dense and contains 11 cities including Hong Kong (7 million), Macau (0. The Pearl River Delta Region (PRD ( in southern China occupies the low-lying areas alongside the Pearl River Estuary Guangdong ( EFEO: Kouangtong; Pinyin Guǎngdōng; Postal map spelling: Kwangtung) is a province on the Hong Kong ( officially the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region, is a territory located on China 's south coast on the Pearl River Delta, and borders For a topic outline on this subject see List of basic Macau topics. 5 million), Guangzhou (over 10 million), Shenzhen (over 7 million), Zhuhai (1. Guangzhou ( Jyutping: Gwong²zau¹; Yale: Gwóngjàu) is the Capital and a Sub-provincial city Shenzhen is a city of sub-provincial administrative status in southern China's Guangdong province situated immediately Administration The Prefecture-level city of Zhuhai administers 3 county-level divisions, all of which are districts Xiangzhou 3 million), Dongguan (6. Administration The Prefecture-level city of Dongguan administers 3 county-level divisions, all of which are districts. 6 million), Foshan (5. History Foshan is an old town dated back to many centuries It was famous for its Porcelain industry 5 million), Jiangmen (4. History The port of Jiangmen was known as Kong-Moon when it was forced to open to western trade in 1902 1 million), parts of Zhaoqing (3. Administration Zhaoqing has jurisdiction over 2 districts, 4 counties and 2 county-level cities: Deqing County (德庆县 4 million), parts of Huizhou (3. Administration The Prefecture-level city of Huizhou administers 5 county-level divisions, including 2 districts and 3 counties. 3 million) and Zhongshan (2. Zhongshan ( is a Prefecture-level city in the south of the Pearl River Delta in Guangdong province in southern China. 4 million). (Total 50 million, migrant workers included)
- The Yangtze River Delta between southern Jiangsu province and northern Zhejiang, China could also be considered a megalopolis, though less developed compared to the Pearl River Delta. expatriate foreign worker is a person who works in a country other than the one of which he or she is a Citizen. The Yangtze River Delta or Yangtze Delta, also called Chang Jiang Delta, or the Golden Triangle of the Yangtze ( Hanyu Pinyin:) generally ( Postal map spelling: Kiangsu) is a province of the People's Republic of China, located along the east coast of the country Zhejiang ( is an eastern coastal province of the People's Republic of China. It contains at least 16 cities including Shanghai (over 15 million), Nanjing (6. Shanghai ( 上[[wikt 海|海]] is the largest city in China in terms of population and one of the largest urban areas in the world with over 20 million ( Chinese: 南京 Romanizations Nánjīng ( Pinyin) Nan-ching ( Wade-Giles 4 million), Hangzhou (6. ( Postal map spelling: Hangchow) is a Sub-provincial city located in the Yangtze River Delta in the People's Republic of China, 4 million), Ningbo (5. Ningbo ( literally "Tranquil Waves" is a Seaport with sub-provincial administrative status. 5 million), Nantong (7. Administration The Prefecture-level city of Nantong administers 8 county-level divisions, including 2 districts and 4 county-level cities 7 million), Suzhou (6. Suzhou ( ancient name 吳) is a City on the lower reaches of the Yangtze River and on the shores of Lake Taihu in the province of Jiangsu 1 million), Taizhou (5. Administration The Prefecture-level city of Taizhou currently administers 3 district, 2 county-level cities and 4 counties. 5 million), Taizhou (5. Administration The Prefecture-level city of Taizhou administers 6 county-level divisions, including 2 districts and 4 county-level cities 0 million), Yangzhou (4. Administration The Prefecture-level city of Yangzhou administers 7 county-level divisions. 5 million), Wuxi (4. Administration The Prefecture-level city of Wuxi administers 9 county-level divisions, including 7 districts and 2 county-level 5 million), Shaoxing (4. Administration The Prefecture-level city of Shaoxing administers 1 district, 3 county-level cities and 2 counties. 4 million), Changzhou (3. Changzhou ( formerly known as Chang-chou Changchow is a Prefecture-level city in southern Jiangsu province, People's Republic of China. 5 million), Jiaxing (3. Administration The Prefecture-level city of Jiaxing administers 7 county-level divisions, including 2 districts, 3 county-level cities 3 million), Zhenjiang (2. Administration The Prefecture-level city of Zhenjiang administers 6 county-level divisions, including 3 districts and 3 county-level cities 7 million), Huzhou (2. Administration The Prefecture-level city of Huzhou administers five county-level divisions, including two districts and three counties 6 million) and Zhoushan (1 million). Administration The Prefecture-level city of Zhoushan administers 2 districts and 2 counties. (Total 80 million)
- The central Liaoning city cluster in China. ( is a northeastern province of the People's Republic of China. China ( Wade-Giles ( Mandarin) Chung¹kuo² is a cultural region, an ancient Civilization, and depending on perspective a National Within 150 km from its center Shenyang (7. Shenyang ( Ch: 沈阳 pinyin Shěnyáng, or Mukden ( in Manchu) is a Sub-provincial city and capital of Liaoning 2 million), it has Fushun (3 million), Anshan (3. Fushun ( is a city in Liaoning, China, about 45 km from Shenyang, with a population about 1 6 million), Benxi (1. Benxi ( is a Prefecture-level city located in the Liaoning province of China, south-southeast of Shenyang. 5 million), Liaoyang (1. Liaoyang ( is a city in China Liaoning province located in the middle of the heavily polluted Liaodong Peninsula. 8 million), Yingkou (2. Yingkou ( is a Prefecture-level city of Liaoning province in northeastern China. 2 million), Panjin (1. Panjin ( is a Prefecture-level city and a major oil-producing city in Liaoning Province China. 2 million), and Tieling (3. Tieling ( Traditional Chinese: 鐵嶺 Simplified Chinese: 铁岭 Pinyin: Tiělíng is a Prefecture-level city in Liaoning province 4 million), with a total population of 23 million. And it can be further extended to Dalian (6. Dalian (;; Japanese: Dairen Russian: Далянь Dalian or Дальний Dalny is the governing Sub-provincial city in the eastern Liaoning 2 million), Fuxin (2 million) and Dandong (2. Fuxin ( is a Prefecture-level city in the Liaoning province of northeastern China. Dandong ( Wade-Giles Tan-Tung is a city in the Liaoning province China. 4 million). This area used to be the most industrialized region in China. It declined during 1980s-1990s, but in recent years, it rapidly revives.
- A potential megalopolis is that of southern Florida. Florida ( is a state located in the southeastern region of the United States, bordering Alabama to the northwest and Georgia to the This beach lovers land extends from Jupiter, West Palm Beach, and Wellington in the north, south to Miami. Jupiter is a town located in Palm Beach County Florida. As of the 2000 census the town had a total population of 39328 West Palm Beach, also known as West Palm, is the most populous city in Palm Beach County, Florida, USA. Wellington is a village in Palm Beach County, Florida, United States. The Everglades form a natural boundary for this potential megalopolis in the south and west. Everglades is also the name of a city in Collier County Florida
- The "Orlampa" megalopolis in Florida, which if Florida continues to become as densely populated as expected over the next thirty years, an H-shaped megalopolis will swallow up rural areas surrounding Orlando, Tampa, St. Petersburg, Clearwater, Sarasota, Bradenton, Lakeland, Winter Haven, Sanford, Oviedo, Daytona Beach, Cocoa Beach, and Kissimmee.
- The I-85 Corridor in the Southeastern United States: Raleigh-Durham-Greensboro-Winston-Salem-Charlotte-Spartanburg-Greenville-Atlanta. The I-85 Corridor is a multi-state region that follows I-85 across the Southeastern United States. The US Southeast is the eastern portion of the Southern United States, but the Census Bureau does not provide a standard definition of a "Southeast" region Raleigh (pronounced rah-lee) is the Capital of the State of North Carolina and the county seat of Wake County, USA Durham is a city in the US state of North Carolina. It is the County seat of Durham County Winston-Salem is a city in the US state of North Carolina. As of the 2000 census the city population was 185776 in 2004 the city annexed an additional 17483 Spartanburg is the largest city in and the County seat of Spartanburg County, South Carolina, United Greenville is a mid-sized city located in the upstate of South Carolina.
- Similarly, Atlanta and the areas connected to it via interstate, including Chattanooga to Macon via I-75, Augusta to Birmingham via I-20, and northwards along the I-85 Corridor. Macon is a city located in central Georgia, USA It is among the largest metropolitan areas in Georgia and the county seat of Bibb County. Augusta Georgia is a city in Richmond County, Georgia, United States. Birmingham (ˈbɝmɪŋhæm is the largest City in the US state of Alabama and is the County seat of Jefferson County. This theoretical megalopolis would cover most of Georgia.
- A potential megalopolis stretches along Interstate 40 from North Carolina to Arkansas, and includes Wilmington, Raleigh, Durham, Greensboro, Winston-Salem, Asheville, Knoxville, Nashville and Memphis. Interstate 40 (I-40 is a major west-east Interstate highway in the United States Arkansas ( is a state located in the southern region of the United States. Wilmington is a city in and the County seat of New Hanover County, North Carolina, United States. Asheville is a City in and the County seat of Buncombe County, North Carolina, United Memphis is a City in the southwest corner of Tennessee, and the County seat of Shelby County. This area is growing toward the I-85 Corridor by way of several counties in the northern portion of the Charlotte area, as well as Asheville's long-standing economic ties to Greenville and Spartanburg.
- Similarly, the three largest metropolitan areas in East Tennessee, Knoxville, Chattanooga, and the Tri-Cities (Johnson City, Tennessee, Kingsport, Tennessee and Bristol, Tennessee-Virginia) have long had close political and economic connections to each other. East Tennessee is a name given to approximately the eastern third of the state of Tennessee, one of In Tennessee and Virginia the name " Tri-Cities " refers to the region comprising the cities of Kingsport, Johnson City and Bristol Johnson City is a city in Carter, Sullivan, and Washington Counties in the U Kingsport is a city in Hawkins and Sullivan counties in the U Bristol is a city in Sullivan County, Tennessee, United States. Bristol is an Independent city in Virginia, bounded by Washington County Virginia, and Sullivan County Tennessee. This developing cluster is connected to the I-40 cluster by way of Knoxville.
- The I-35 Corridor in Texas, Oklahoma, and Kansas beginning in San Antonio (1. The I-35 Corridor, also known as the I-35 Megalopolis, is a group of Metropolitan areas in the southern Interior Plains region of the United States 9 million) and extending through Austin-Round Rock (1. 5 million), Temple-Killeen (350,000), Waco (225,000), Dallas-Fort Worth (6. Temple is a city in Bell County, Texas, United States. Adjacent to the county seat ( Belton) Temple lies in the region referred to as Central Waco (ˈweɪkoʊ is a city in and the County seat of McLennan County, Texas. Fort Worth is the fifth-largest city in the state of Texas and the seventeenth-largest city in the United States. 0 million), Oklahoma City (1. Oklahoma City is the capital and largest city of the US state of Oklahoma. 2 million), Tulsa (900,000), Wichita, Kansas (600,000), and Kansas City (2. Wichita (ˈwɪtʃɪtaː is the most populous City in the US state of Kansas, and the county seat of Sedgwick County. Kansas City Missouri only Items for the metro area Kansas City Kansas or North Kansas City MO should go on their respective pages 0 million).
- The I-70 Corridor in Kansas, Missouri, and Illinois, including the cities of Topeka (226,268), Lawrence, Kansas (112,123), Kansas City (2. Lawrence is the sixth largest city in the US State of Kansas and the County seat of Douglas County. Kansas City Missouri only Items for the metro area Kansas City Kansas or North Kansas City MO should go on their respective pages 0 million), Columbia, Missouri (162,314), and Greater St. Louis (3. Columbia (kəˈlʌmbiə is the fifth-largest city in the US state of Missouri and the largest city in Mid-Missouri. Greater St Louis is the common name of the St Louis-StCharles-Farmington MO-IL CSA or Metro St 0 million) is another potential megalopolis.
- The Gulf Coast corridor along I-10 in Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, and Alabama beginning in Houston (5. The Gulf Coast region of the United States comprises the coasts of states which border the Gulf of Mexico. Interstate 10 ( I-10) is the southernmost east-west coast-to-coast Interstate highway in the United States. 5 million) and extending through Beaumont-Port Arthur, Texas (383,443), Lake Charles, Louisiana (192,316), Lafayette, Louisiana (254,432), Baton Rouge (700,000), New Orleans (1. Beaumont is a city in and the County seat of Jefferson County, Texas, United States, within the Beaumont&ndash Port Arthur Metropolitan Port Arthur is a city in Jefferson County within the Beaumont &ndashPort Arthur Metropolitan Statistical Area of the U Lake Charles is the fifth largest incorporated City in the US state of Louisiana. Lafayette is a City in and the Parish seat of Lafayette Parish, Louisiana, United States, on the Vermilion River. Baton Rouge (French Bâton-Rouge ˌbætən ˈruːdʒ in English, and in French) is the capital city of Louisiana. New Orleans (nʲuːˈɔrliənz nʲuːˈɔrlənz French: La Nouvelle-Orléans) is a major United States port city and the largest city in Louisiana 3 million), Gulfport-Biloxi, Mississippi (396,784), and Mobile, Alabama (540,258). Gulfport is the second largest city in Mississippi after the state capital Jackson.
- The Front Range centered on Denver-Boulder, Colorado, and extending north through Fort Collins and Greeley, Colorado, and Cheyenne, Wyoming, south through Colorado Springs and Pueblo. The City and County of Denver (pronounced /ˈdɛnvɚ/ is the Capital and the most populous city of Colorado, in the United States Boulder is a Home Rule Municipality that is the County seat and most populous city of Boulder County, Colorado, in the United States The City of Fort Collins, a Home Rule Municipality situated on the Cache la Poudre River along the Colorado Front Range, is the County seat The City of Greeley is a Home Rule Municipality that is the County seat and the most populous city of Weld County, Colorado, United Cheyenne ( /ʃaɪˈæn/ or /ʃaɪˈɛn/) is the capital of the U The City of Colorado Springs is a Home Rule Municipality that is the County seat and most populous city of El Paso County, Colorado, The City of Pueblo (ˈpwɛbloʊ is a Home Rule Municipality that is the County seat and the most populous city of Pueblo County
- California's Great Central Valley: Redding- Red Bluff- Chico- Oroville- Yuba City- Marysville- Roseville- Sacramento- Woodland- Davis- Lodi- Stockton- Manteca- Modesto- Turlock- Merced- Madera- Fresno- Tulare- Visalia- Hanford- Bakersfield; This area stretches about 500 miles through the central section of the U. California ( is a US state on the West Coast of the United States, along the Pacific Ocean. The Central Valley is a large flat valley that dominates the central portion of the U Redding is a city in Northern California. It is the County seat of Shasta County California, USA Red Bluff is the County seat of Tehama County California. As of the 2000 census the incorporated city had a total Population of 13147 but it is currently Chico (pop 86949 is the most populous city in Butte County, California, United States, with 105000 Oroville is the County seat of Butte County California. The city-limits Population was 13004 at the 2000 census; and as of 2007 the population Yuba City is a Northern California city founded in 1849 It is the County seat of Sutter County, California, United States Marysville is the County seat of Yuba County, California, United States. Roseville is a City in Placer County, California, United States, located in the metropolitan area of Sacramento. Woodland (formerly By Hell and Yolo City) is the County seat of Yolo County California. Davis is a city in Yolo County, California, United States. It is part of the Sacramento &ndash Lodi (ˈloʊdaɪ LOW-dye is a city located in As of the 2000 census, the city had a population of 56999 Stockton is a City in California and the seat of San Joaquin County (the fifth largest agricultural county in the United States Manteca is a city in, USA. As of November 2005 the city's population is approximately some 50000 residents Modesto is the County seat of Stanislaus County in the US state of California. Turlock is a city in Stanislaus County, California, United States. Merced, is the County seat of Merced County California in the San Joaquin Valley of Central California. Madera is a city in and the County seat of Madera County, California, United States. Tulare (tuːˈlɛəri is a city in Tulare County, California, United States. Hanford is an important commercial and cultural center in the south central San Joaquin Valley and is the County seat of Kings County California. S. state of California- It also includes some outlying East Bay, California Delta / Sacramento-San Joaquin River Delta and Pacific Coast Range foothill communities to the west as well as some Cascade Mountain Range and Sierra Nevada foothill communities to the east. The Sacramento-San Joaquin River Delta is an expansive inland River delta and Estuary in northern California in the United States. The Sacramento-San Joaquin River Delta is an expansive inland River delta and Estuary in northern California in the United States. The Pacific Coast Ranges are the series of Mountain ranges that stretch along the west coast of North America from Alaska to northern and central Mexico The Sierra Nevada ( Spanish for "Snowy Range" is a Mountain range located in the U Its northern boundary is Redding in Shasta County, just south of Shasta Lake and Mt. Shasta in the Cascade Mountain Range (although some will say that Red Bluff is actually the northern boundary) and its southern boundary is the northern base of the Tehachapi Mountains (also known as "The Grapevine)" in Kern County north of Los Angeles- Divided into two sections, The Sacramento Valley comprises that extending north from the Sacramento-San Joaquin River Delta and the San Joaquin Valley is that area extending south of the Sacramento-San Joaquin River Delta- Interstate 80 and many state highways cross the valley in an east-west direction; Heavily traveled Interstate 5 serves as the main artery between the San Francisco Bay Area and Los Angeles as it is a shorter route than the much more scenic U.S. 101 which runs along the Pacific Coast. Shasta County is a county located in the northern portion of the U Shasta Lake is a reservoir created by the building of Shasta Dam in California, USA. Mount Shasta ( Úytaahkoo, Karuk) or the "White Mountain" in English a 14179-foot (4322 m Stratovolcano, is the second-highest peak in the The Tehachapi Mountains (təˈhætʃəˌpi are a short transverse range in southern California in the United States, running SW-NE connecting Kern County is a County located in the southern Central Valley of the U Los Angeles (lɑˈsændʒələs los ˈaŋxeles in Spanish) is the largest City in the state of California and the American West The Sacramento Valley is the portion of the California Central Valley that lies to the north of the San Joaquin-Sacramento Delta in the U The San Joaquin Valley (ˌsæn wɑːˈkiːn refers to the area of the Central Valley of California that lies south of the Sacramento-San Joaquin Delta Interstate 80 (I-80 is the second-longest Interstate Highway in the United States (after I-90) State highway, state road or state route can refer to one of three related concepts two of them related to a State government in a country that is divided Interstate 5 (I-5 is the main Interstate highway on the West Coast of the United States, paralleling the Pacific Ocean from Canada to Mexico The San Francisco Bay Area, commonly known as the Bay Area, or the Bay, is a geographically and ethnically diverse metropolitan region that surrounds the A country's Pacific coast is the part of its Coast facing the Pacific Ocean. Historic California Highway 99 (formerly U. The following highways have been numbered 99: Canada British Columbia Highway 99 Saskatchewan Highway 99 S. Highway 99, the other primary north-south route, intersects Interstate 5 in Red Bluff and runs parallel all the way to the base of The Grapevine where it rejoins Interstate 5 leading into Los Angeles and San Diego; Several other state highways also run north-south (7 million)
- Southeast Queensland - Brisbane (over 2 million), the Gold and Sunshine coasts, (0. South East Queensland (SEQ is a region of the state of Queensland in Australia, which contains approximately two-thirds of the state population Brisbane ( is the state capital of Queensland. Brisbane is the third most populous city in Australia and the most populous city of Queensland This article is about the Australian city Gold Coast For other uses see Gold Coast. The Sunshine Coast (population 290645 with up to an additional 50000 in visitors and seasonal workers is a coastal region located in South East Queensland, north of the 7 million and 0. 3 million), as well as the cities of Ipswich (150k), Redcliffe (60k), Logan (180k), Caloundra (100k) and several urban shires. Ipswich is a city and Local Government Area situated on the Bremer River in South East Queensland, Australia.   Redcliffe City is a municipal location north-northeast of Brisbane, the state capital of Queensland, Logan City Council is a Local Government Area in South East Queensland, Australia. Caloundra (kəˈlaʊndrə is the southern-most community on the Sunshine Coast in South East Queensland, Australia. The urban area is growing to the point where it has almost attached the city of Toowoomba, Queensland (135k). Toowoomba (nicknamed 'The Garden City' is a City in South East Queensland, Australia. By 2025 the population of this megapolis could reach 7 million.
- Cascadia, which includes Vancouver, British Columbia, Seattle-Bellingham-Everett, Washington, Tacoma, Olympia, Portland, Oregon-Vancouver, Washington, Salem, Oregon, Albany-Corvallis, and Eugene-Springfield. The Pacific Northwest is a region in the northwest of North America (the term refers to the land not the ocean Vancouver (vænˈkuːvɚ is a coastal Bellingham, Washington is the County seat of Whatcom County in the U Everett is the County seat and largest city in Snohomish County, Washington located north of Seattle. Olympia is the Capital of Washington and is the County seat of Thurston County. Portland is a city located in the Northwestern United States, near the Confluence of the Willamette and Columbia rivers Vancouver is a city on the north bank of the Columbia River in the U Salem (ˈseɪləm is the Capital of the US state of Oregon, and the County seat of Marion County. Albany is a city in Benton and Linn Counties in the western part of the U Corvallis (kɔrˈvælɪs is a City located in central western Oregon, United States. The city of Eugene ( "yoo-JEEN") is the County seat of Lane County, Oregon, Springfield is a city in Lane County, Oregon, United States, separated from Eugene Oregon primarily by the I-5 highway.
- NSW - Newcastle (512,000) Sydney (4. The Newcastle metropolitan area is the second most populated area in the state of New South Wales and includes most of the Newcastle and Lake Macquarie Sydney (ˈsɪdniː is the most populous city in Australia, with a Metropolitan area population of approximately 4 3 million) Wollongong (280,000) and Canberra (330,000) - little separates these three cities and many have speculated that they will eventually form a megalopolis (aside from a string of National Parks, and the fact that Canberra is 150 km of countryside away from any part of this conurbation). Canberra ( is the capital city of Australia With a population of over 340000 it is Australia's largest inland City.
- VIC - Geelong (161,000), Melbourne (3. MCite/Citephp.--> Geelong (dʒəˈlɔŋ is the second largest city in the state Melbourne ( is the second most populous city in Australia, with a Metropolitan area population of approximately 3 8 million), both of these are potential to join up as urban sprawl increases, Melbourne's urban sprawl goes outwards consuming satillte towns. example Melton, Werribee and others towns surrounding Melbourne
- The Northstar Corridor, which includes the Minneapolis-Saint Paul metro area and the communities along I-94 and U.S. Route 10 between the St. Cloud metro area and Minneapolis-Saint Paul, including Elk River, Monticello, Big Lake Clearwater, Clear Lake and the St. For other uses of the term Melton, see Melton (disambiguation. Werribee is a city near Melbourne, Victoria, Australia. Its local government area is the City of Wyndham. US Route 10 is an east-west United States highway formed in 1926 St Cloud (ˌseɪntˈklaʊd is a city in the US state of Minnesota and the largest population center in the state's central region Elk River is a city in Sherburne County, Minnesota, United States, about 34 miles northwest of Minneapolis. Monticello ( mɒntɪsɛloʊ is a city in Wright County, Minnesota, United States. Big Lake is a city in Sherburne County, Minnesota, United States. Clearwater is a city in Stearns and Wright counties in the US Clear Lake is a city in Sherburne County, Minnesota, United States. Cloud area. The corridor has a population of approximately 3. 6 million and is one of the fastest-growing areas in the United States. jermr
- The Megalopolis of central Mexico was defined to be integrated by the metropolitan areas of Mexico City, Puebla, Cuernavaca, Toluca and Pachuca. Mexico City (in Spanish: Ciudad de México, México DF, México or simply Méjico) is the Capital city of Mexico The city of Puebla, officially Heroic Puebla de Zaragoza (nicknamed Angelópolis) is the capital and largest city of the Mexican state of Puebla. Cuernavaca (Cuauhnāhuac|kʷaw̥'naːwak is the capital and largest city of the state of Morelos in Mexico. Pachuca, formally Pachuca de Soto ( La Bella Airosa, en The windy beauty) is the capital of the Mexican state of Hidalgo The megalopolis of central Mexico is integrated by 173 municipalities (91 of the state of Mexico, 29 of the state of Puebla, 37 of the state of Tlaxcala, 16 of Morelos and 16 of Hidalgo) and the 16 boroughs of the Federal District, with an approximate total population of almost 25 million people.
References Joining two or more political units such as municipalities, counties, or cities into one entity is referred to as amalgamation when the process occurs There is some dispute over whether this article should document both the meaning of this term as used in popular fiction as well as its technical meaning in the field of architecture or A conurbation is an Urban area or Agglomeration comprising a number of Cities, large Towns and larger urban areas that through Population Ecumenopolis (from οικουμένη meaning world and πόλις ( Polis) meaning city thus a city made of the whole world; pl The term Ekistics (coined by Konstantinos Apostolos Doxiadis in 1942 applies to the science of human settlements A hamlet is (usually&mdashsee below a Rural community — that is a small settlement — which is too small to be considered a Village. A village is a clustered human settlement or community, larger than a hamlet, but smaller than a Town or City. A town is a type of settlement ranging from a few to several thousand (occasionally hundreds of thousands inhabitants although it may be applied loosely even to huge metropolitan A city is an Urban area with a large Population and a particular Administrative, Legal, or Historical status The classification system of the types of inhabited localities in Russia, the former Soviet Union, and some other post-Soviet states has certain peculiarities compared A megalopolis is the general term for a number of proximate metropoleis A megacity is generally defined as a Metropolitan area with a total Population in excess of 10 million people A Megapolitan Area is a clustered network of American cities whose population exceeds or will exceed 10 million by the A metroplex is large Metropolitan area containing several cities and their suburbs A metropolis (from the Greek μήτηρ mētēr meaning 'mother' and πόλις pólis meaning 'city/town' is a big City, in most cases with A metropolitan area is a large population center consisting of a large Metropolis and its adjacent zone of influence or of more than one closely adjoining neighboring central In the study of human settlements an agglomeration is an extended City or Town area comprising the built-up area of a central place ( usually a Municipality Rural areas can be large and isolated (also referred to as "the country" and/or "the countryside over the course of time South San Jose (cropjpg||thumb|A suburban development in San Jose California. A commuter town is an urban community that is primarily residential from which most of the Workforce commute out to earn their livelihood
© 2009 citizendia.org; parts available under the terms of GNU Free Documentation License, from http://en.wikipedia.org
network: | |