|Manchester Grammar School|
(Latin:"Dare to be wise")
|Fallowfield, Manchester, England|
|High Master||Christopher Ray|
|Deputy High Master||Stuart Leeming|
|Pupils||1392 (approx. Latin ( lingua Latīna, laˈtiːna is an Italic language, historically spoken in Latium and Ancient Rome. Fallowfield is an area of the city of Manchester, England. It lies three miles south of Manchester City Centre and is bisected north&ndashsouth by England is a Country which is part of the United Kingdom. Its inhabitants account for more than 83% of the total UK population whilst its mainland The John Lyon School (formerly The Lower School of John Lyon) is an academically selective independent school in Harrow on the Hill, Middlesex. )|
|Newspaper||The New Mancunian|
The Manchester Grammar School (MGS) is an independent boys' school (ages 11-18) in Fallowfield, Manchester, England. An independent school in the United Kingdom is a school relying upon private sources for all of its funding predominantly in the form of school fees Hugh Oldham was born around 1450 - most likely in the town of Oldham in Lancashire, England, although some accounts claim he was born in nearby Manchester An independent school in the United Kingdom is a school relying upon private sources for all of its funding predominantly in the form of school fees Fallowfield is an area of the city of Manchester, England. It lies three miles south of Manchester City Centre and is bisected north&ndashsouth by England is a Country which is part of the United Kingdom. Its inhabitants account for more than 83% of the total UK population whilst its mainland Founded in the 16th century as a free grammar school, it continued on a site adjacent to Manchester parish church (later the cathedral) until 1930, when it moved to the present site. Manchester Cathedral is a Medieval church located on Victoria Street in central Manchester and is the seat of the Bishop of Manchester. By the 18th century the founding principle of providing free education to all comers had been abandoned and the school relied on fees for part of its income. In the early 20th century it was increasingly state-funded and after the Education Act 1944 became a direct-grant grammar school. The Education Act 1944 changed the education system for secondary Schools in England and Wales. In 1976 direct-grant funding was abolished and the school reverted to independent status. The school motto is sapere aude (dare to be wise). This is a quote from Horace, famously used by Immanuel Kant, and also the Motto of The Enlightenment. Quintus Horatius Flaccus, ( Venosa, December 8, 65 BC - Rome, November 27, 8 BC known in the English-speaking world as Horace Immanuel Kant (ɪmanuəl kant 22 April 1724 12 February 1804 was an 18th-century German Philosopher from the Prussian city of Königsberg The Age of Enlightenment or The Enlightenment is a term used to describe a phase in Western philosophy and cultural life centered upon the eighteenth century The school badge is an outline of an owl, carrying a banner with the word "dom" on it. This is a reference to the founder of the school, Hugh Oldham, and the badge should be read as "owl dom". Hugh Oldham was born around 1450 - most likely in the town of Oldham in Lancashire, England, although some accounts claim he was born in nearby Manchester
The founder Hugh Oldham, a Manchester-born man, attended Exeter College, Oxford and Queens' College, Cambridge, after having been tutored in the house of Thomas Stanley, 1st Earl of Derby. Hugh Oldham was born around 1450 - most likely in the town of Oldham in Lancashire, England, although some accounts claim he was born in nearby Manchester Exeter College is one of the constituent colleges of the University of Oxford in England and the 4th oldest college of the University The University of Oxford (informally "Oxford University" or simply "Oxford" located in the city of Oxford, Oxfordshire, England is the Queens' College is a constituent college of the University of Cambridge. The University of Cambridge (often Cambridge University) located in Cambridge, England, is the second-oldest university in the Thomas Stanley 1st Earl of Derby KG ( 1435 - July 29, 1504) was King of Mann and an English nobleman and stepfather Historical accounts suggest that he was not a particularly learned man, but was in royal service, being a favoured protégé of Countess Margaret Beaufort, mother of Henry VII, and became recognised for his administrative abilities. Lady Margaret Beaufort ( May 31, 1443 &ndash June 29, 1509) of the House of Lancaster was the mother of King Henry VII of He was appointed Bishop of Exeter in 1505. The Bishop of Exeter is the Ordinary of the Church of England Diocese of Exeter His great wealth came from his water-powered corn mills on the River Irk in Manchester, which were subsequently used to fund the school's endowment.
On the 2nd July 1515 he signed an endowment trust deed establishing the Manchester Free Grammar School for Lancashire Boys. A site was purchased in September 1516 and construction took place between April 1517 and August 1518. The combined cost was £218. 13s. 5d, largely given by Oldham, but with the help of his and the Bexwycke (Beswick) family who had provided an earlier endowment for a school within the parish church. A more elaborate deed in 1525 set the detailed rules for the school until the late 19th century.
The original deed promoted “godliness and good learning” and established that any boy showing sufficient academic ability, regardless of background, might attend, free of charge. The school was situated between Manchester Cathedral, then a collegiate church, and the church’s domestic quarters, subsequently Chetham's School of Music. Chetham's School of Music, familiarly known as "Chets" is a specialist Music school in Manchester, United Kingdom.
Later Oldham's great friend Richard Foxe, the Bishop of Winchester, wished to found a monastery. Richard Foxe (sometimes Richard Fox) (c 1448–5 October 1528 was an English churchman successively Bishop of Exeter, Bath and Wells, See also List of bishops of Winchester The Bishop of Winchester is the head of the Church of England Oldham, however, convinced him instead to found Corpus Christi College in Oxford and contributed 6000 marks. Corpus Christi College is one of the constituent colleges of the University of Oxford in the United Kingdom. Oldham also had a hand in the founding of Brasenose College, Oxford. Brasenose College, originally Brazen Nose College (in full The King's Hall and College of Brasenose, often referred to by the abbreviation BNC The University of Oxford (informally "Oxford University" or simply "Oxford" located in the city of Oxford, Oxfordshire, England is the Thus he did a great deal in establishing places of higher learning.
The original foundation provided a school house in the curtilage of Manchester's parish church and two graduates (the 'High Master' and the 'Usher') to teach Latin, and later Greek, to any children who presented themselves. The school was intended to prepare pupils for university and eventually the Church or the legal profession. Typically, pupils would have stayed for 8 to 10 years before leaving for university. There was often enough money to fund bursaries or exhibitions for pupils.
In 1654, the world’s first free public library was formed next door to MGS in what had been the church’s living quarters. This was facilitated by a bequest from a wealthy businessman (and ex-pupil) Humphrey Chetham, which also served to create a bluecoat orphanage there, schooling 40 poor boys. Sir Humphrey Chetham (1580 &ndash 1653 was an English Merchant, responsible for the creation of Chetham's Hospital and Chetham's Library, the England, a charity school, also called Blue Coat School, was originally a type of elementary school erected and maintained in various Parishes by the voluntary
By the 18th century, there are thought to have been between 50 and 100 boys in the Grammar School at any one time, three or four of whom each year were awarded exhibitions to Oxford and Cambridge. An extra room had been built onto the school house for boys who needed instruction in English before they started Latin, and another master was employed to teach them.
The 1515 building was replaced on the same site in 1776. This was on two levels, an Upper School for the Latin and Greek pupils, a Lower School for the English students. Boarding-houses were added and many of the Upper school pupils were boarders from surrounding counties. When De Quincy came as a boarder in 1800, classes were held at roughly 7. 00am to 9. 00, 9. 30 to 12. 00 and 3. 00pm to 5. 00. 
By 1808 consideration was being given to moving from the site, as it was becoming insalubrious, but this proved impossible as the deed could not be changed except by Act of Parliament.
Going from the Old Church to Long Millgate . . . one is in an almost undisguised working men's quarter, for even the shops and beerhouses hardly take the trouble to exhibit a trifling degree of cleanliness . . . [The Irk, immediately beside the school,] is a narrow, coal black, foul smelling stream full of debris and refuse. 
A commercial school, in parallel with the classical school, and more suited to Manchester's business climate, was established in the 1830s. By this time the school was getting richer on the proceeds of the mills which provided its funding and had a growing surplus on account. Its 'feoffees' (or governors) were mostly landed gentry from outside Manchester and they were heavily criticised for running the school to suit the needs of their offspring rather than as originally intended, the poor of Manchester. This led to a long running suit at the Court of Chancery, which eventually promoted the commercial side at the expense of the classical side of the school.
The area around the school continued to change. During the 1840s, Victoria Station was completed opposite the school and the church became Manchester Cathedral. Manchester Victoria station is the second of Manchester 's mainline railway stations Manchester Cathedral is a Medieval church located on Victoria Street in central Manchester and is the seat of the Bishop of Manchester. Then, in the 1870s, a new building, the Manchester Grammar Extension, was built, designed by Alfred Waterhouse, and including new classrooms, laboratories and a gymnasium, reflecting the wider curriculum that had developed since the 1830s. Alfred Waterhouse (19 July 1830 – 22 August 1905 was an English Architect, particularly associated with the Victorian Gothic revival. It was connected to the original by a first-storey bridge. It was said that the bridge’s purpose was not for ease of movement between the parts of the school, but rather to dwarf Chetham’s gatehouse both in terms of size and grandeur.
By the early twentieth century the school was increasingly receiving funding from the state. This was negligible in 1901, fees providing three quarters of the income, most of the remainder being from the foundation. But by 1931, state grants contributed nearly 30% of the total, and the number of pupils had doubled to 1400 - a figure which has been maintained throughout most of the subsequent period.
In the early 1930s, the school moved out of the city centre to accommodate a growing student body and provide a wider range of facilities. The new location chosen was Old Hall Lane in Fallowfield, where the school still stands. Fallowfield is an area of the city of Manchester, England. It lies three miles south of Manchester City Centre and is bisected north&ndashsouth by The budget was so tight at this time that, in order to finance construction of the new school, the topsoil surrounding the foundations was sold; as a result, the grounds lie below the main building as though the school were surrounded by a moat. Furthermore, the buildings are themselves below street level.
Both of the school’s earlier buildings lay empty, and while the former was destroyed in World War Two, the latter, renamed the Long Millgate Building, became a teacher training college in the 1950s. In 1969, Chetham’s School of Music was founded and occupied what had been the orphanage. When the teacher training college closed in 1978, Chetham’s took over the premises.
Since 1930, the site at Fallowfield has seen many new additions to the accommodation, as described in the next section.
After the Education Act 1944, MGS became a direct-grant grammar school, which meant that the bulk of funding was provided by government. The Education Act 1944 changed the education system for secondary Schools in England and Wales. Entry was by merit (based on examination) and parents were means-tested and fees paid primarily by local education authorities on a sliding scale. Fees paid by parents amounted to less than 20% of the total income. It reverted to independent status in 1976 after the Labour government - in the person of Education Secretary Shirley Williams - abolished the direct-grant funding system. The Labour Party is a Political party in the United Kingdom. Founded at the start of the 20th century it has been since the 1920s the principal party of the Shirley Williams Baroness Williams of Crosby PC (born 27 July 1930) is a British Politician and academic Bursaries continue to support the merit based recruitment system, by abating fees for less well off pupils. 
When the Assisted Places Scheme was rescinded in the late 1990s, MGS was the first school to react with a seminal "Bursary Appeal", whose patron is HRH The Prince of Wales. Education in England is the responsibility of the Department for Children Schools and Families and the Department for Innovation Universities and Skills of the To date (2006), the Appeal has accumulated a value of over £13m and finances bursaries, given to boys whose parents are unable to afford the school fees. Scholarships, i. e. monetary prizes awarded on merit regardless of need however, are not awarded.
The school has in recent years had an outstanding academic record. In the last five years almost 200 pupils a year have gone to university after leaving the school, and of these the large majority have gone to the UK's 'top' universities - the 'Sutton Trust 13'. 
A recent survey by the Sutton Trust shows that over the five years (2002-6) 65. The Sutton Trust is an educational charity in the United Kingdom which aims to provide educational opportunities to young people from non-privileged backgrounds 8% of MGS students going to university enrolled in the Sutton Trust 13 group, putting it in fourth place for numbers delivered to these institutions - 620 in the five year period. Of these, over a third (211) went to Oxford and Cambridge (the sixth highest number and 15th in terms of the percentage of university bound pupils going to Oxbridge).
The Main Building, was designed in 1930 by Francis Jones and Percy Worthington. In keeping with the style of Oxbridge, it features a quadrangle and a grandiose memorial hall. Entrance to the quad is by a tripartite arch under a clock tower cupola. There is also the Paton Library, MGS Archive Office (formerly the Alan Garner Junior Library which has since become part of the Paton Library), staff common room, lecture theatre, refectory, medical room, book shop, gymnasium and swimming pool. This is in addition to classrooms (subjects taught in this building are Mathematics, Classics, Latin, Greek, History and Religion And Philosophy) and administrative offices. In 2006 the school announced its first major construction work on the main building for some time, with the launch of a plan to refurbish the Lecture Theatre, with the view of bringing it up to the standard of a modern professional theatre.
The Mason Building is the school's language department. On the ground floor there are the Language Labs, two suites of listening stations, mainly used to practise the listening parts of national exams. Eric Cittanova, a French master, has, on occasion, used the exterior wall for rock climbing, and some of the grips he had installed are still present. This building was originally the school's Sixth Form block. It is joined to the main building on the ground floor by the Paton Library.
The Physics Block, just west of the main building, hosts the following departments: Physics, General Science (taken by first and second years - before the subject splits into the usual three divisions), Geography and some Mathematics. There are four physics laboratories, including one for radioactive experimentation, on the ground floor. The main computer room is situated on the first floor of the physics block.
The English Block is just south of the physics block. It was intended to feature a drama hall in the centre, but this plan was scrapped due to a lack of funding. The second floor, accessible only from the eastern staircase, is used for the storage of the English department's large numbers of plays, poetry and fiction.
The Michael Atherton Sports Hall was opened by Mr. Atherton in 1997 and subsequently used by the BBC Philharmonic Orchestra in recording of a live CD. The conductor, Jan Pascal Tortelier, on a tour of the school, is said to have, upon entering, clapped loudly and then immediately requested the venue for the purpose, on hearing the acoustic qualities. There are also Squash Courts next door to the sports hall.
The Music Building is at the Telfer Road entrance at the rear of the school. There is a music library in the basement as well as a dozen or so music practice rooms, each having a piano, used for private lessons. It contains a keyboard suite allowing first and second years to learn basic keyboard playing and a hall on the west side used primariliy for orchestra rehearsals.
The Chemistry Building is adjoined to the Main Building. It houses the Chemistry department, and the upper floor is used for Middle School (years 9-11) Biology classes. The building, inconveniently, has two entrances (one near the Music Block, and one from the Main Building near the Refectory) leading to two non-connected corridors. This design element may have arisen out of a safety concern, since it currently serves to separate middle school experiments from those undertaken by sixth formers.
The Rectory is located near the Michael Atherton Sports Hall, and is the home of the Biology Department. However it is only A-level biology that is taught there. It is also affectionately known by the Biology Staff and senior pupils as 'The Rectum'.
The Parker Art Hall is a three storey arts studio, situated in the south side of the main building. It includes a ceramics department with two kilns on the ground floor and also a dark room for photography.
The Pavilion contains changing rooms for sports teams and a cricket score board, is linked to the Butty Bar, a cafe serving MGS Quiche Lorraine, Donner Kebab, Slush Puppies etc. , as well as the computing room and long room upstairs. The long room is now used as the sixth form common room, which was previously next to the photocopying room in the main stairwell and the computing room is now used as the careers and sixth form study room. The sixth form common room is inhabited by a coffee machine called Wesley.
MGS has a long tradition of academic excellence and is among the most celebrated schools in England. Its alumni ("Old Mancunians") include:
MGS has a Senior Management Team who help to run the school. The High Master, Christopher Ray, is ultimately in charge of the school. Several changes in management occurred in September 2007. Stuart Leeming is the Deputy High Master a new post in school and is responsible for the day to day administration of the school and implementing the new Junior School. Nick Munday is the Surmaster with responsible for all areas of MGS and assisting the High Master. Neil Sheldon, one of MGS' longest serving members of staff is the Senior Master. The Assistant Surmaster, Dr Squires has responsibility for Pastoral Care at Manchester Grammar School. Jim Mangnall is Head of Co-curriculum (formerly Head of Lower School) with responsibility for all things beyond the classroom. The Heads of Schools are Susan James for lower school, Andy Smith for Middle School and Paul Thompson for Sixth Form.
MGS has two sister, all girl schools, Manchester High School for Girls and Withington Girls' School. Manchester High School for Girls is an independent daytime School for girls and a member of the Girls School Association. Withington Girls' School is an independent day school and provides education for girls between the ages of seven and eighteen MGS often collaborates with both schools, particularly in artistic events, a collaboration encouraged by the absence of competition between the schools in the independent school market and by geographical proximity.
MGS is also twinned with a school in Uganda. MGS became linked with the Busoga College Mwiri in 1990 as a consequence of their support for the Busoga Trust. The School donated second-hand science equipment, textbooks and, in 1998, equipped the Mwiri computer centre with almost one hundred PCs. A succession of MGS pupils have been to Mwiri to teach for a term in their gap year and five members of MGS staff and the School Medical Officer have made a combined total of over 20 visits to Mwire. Some of MGS' pupils first years visited the College in 2003 and in return they have received visits by Chairmen of Governors, Headmasters and Deputy Heads. A programme has been initiated to enable one member of the Mwiri staff each year to visit MGS for three weeks in September. This scheme has largely been the brainchild of the head of the physics department, Mr Hand.
The school has developed gradually more elaborate ways of fitting subjects into the time-table. In the 1960s it introduced a six-day working week, and the school operated a seven-day working week, called the Seven Day Cycle, until 2006/2007 as opposed to the timetable repeating according to a five-day week. This format however has now been replaced with a Ten Day Cycle for the 2007/8 academic year, each day consisting of 7 periods of lessons.
The school day begins at 09:00, when boys report to their form rooms to be registered. Assembly begins at 09:10 and ends at 09:25. there are 7 periods (lessons) in a day, each being 40 minutes long, with the exception of periods 5 and 7, which are 35 minutes long. There is a 5 minutes gap between periods to allow boys to transit the school grounds to different classrooms. Break is 20 minutes long and occurs between periods 2 and 3 (10. 55-11. 15), and the Lunch hour is between periods 4 and 5, (12:40-13:45) 
Excepting Fridays, the Lower school has assembly in the Lecture Theatre, whilst the Middle and Upper school do so in the Memorial Hall. However on Fridays, Religious assemblies are held. Choices are: Indian, Muslim, Jewish, Christian and Non-religious, with only the latter split into age groups; using the same division as normal assemblies. The selection allows boys of all religions to sample each other's faiths, as there is no restriction on where boys can go for religious assemblies, though it is not thought that many pupils do this. On Fridays, at lunchtimes, Friday Prayers are held for Muslim pupils. "Juma" redirects here For the indigenous Brazilian group see Juma people. A Muslim (مسلم pronounced Muslim, not Muzlim) is an adherent of the Religion
The school was among the first to adopt the international Mathematics GCSE rather than the British one. The main difference between the two is that the IGCSE does not have a coursework element, primarily because it would be too costly to moderate around the world. The International General Certificate of Secondary Education, or IGCSE, is an international Qualification for School Students. The maths department decided that pupils were finding the coursework (forming a fifth of the national GCSE) undemanding and tedious and so made the switch in 2005. 
At the further instigation of Mr David Jeys, who became head of the Maths department in 2003, a plaque was installed at the northern end of the Maths corridor. It is a historical recreation of a plaque recorded to have been inscribed above the entrance to Plato's Academy. An academy ( Greek Ἀκαδημία is an institution of higher learning research or honorary membership Written in Greek, it translates to Let No One Ignorant of Geometry Enter. 
There are four publications focusing on the school. Ulula is an annual glossy magazine detailing life at MGS that year. It contains activities of the societies, results achieved by the sports teams, dramatic and musical performances that have occurred, as well as a selection of literary and fine art work made by the boys. It also serves to announce new appointments, retirements and departures of staff members. For those pupils who leave in the year prior to the issue of Ulula, the university or sixth form college to which they are moving is listed.
The New Mancunian, the school student newspaper is written and produced by students and has won several national awards.  This is twinned in nomenclature with the Old Mancunian which is a monthly pamphlet edited by John Horsfield, sent out to ex-pupils. There is also a termly glossy magazine targeted at parents.
Following optional attendance at open days (the second Saturday in October, and the following Tuesday), prospective pupils undertake the Part One Entrance Exam. This consists of a Mathematics exam and an English Exam. This first exam is taken by approximately 500-600 boys on the last Friday in January. Its purpose is to select a smaller number of boys to undertake the second exam, which is more time-consuming to mark.
About 400 boys are invited to take part in the Part Two Entrance Exam on the first Friday in February. It also consists of both a Mathematics paper and an English paper. The latter consists of a comprehension and a creative writing exercise. Those allocated a place by the school may tour the school in March Tours Week. By the end of the month, the boy/parents must choose to accept or decline the place offered.
Boys are most likely to apply to more than one school, and hence may not accept their place. For this reason a number of boys are, after both exams, given a reserve place. As people with guaranteed places accept or reject their place, reserve offers are converted to proper places accordingly.
M. G. S. is among a small number of selective schools to select purely on the basis of examination performance, with no need for interviews. However some of those on the reserve list are interviewed in the interim between the second exam and Tours Week.
Traditionally, on the first day of their school careers, first year (or in modern parlance, Year 7) pupils (known as "sprogs") must endure The Sprog Jog, a long jog, typically twice around the school grounds. Performances were noted down and used to assess pupils' fitness and sporting ability. The Gatley, another long jog through the surrounding area has taken place as a voluntary inter-form event at the end of the Easter term for boys in years 1-3 (7-10) for many years. During the past several years the school had failed to maintain this long held tradition, but it was announced in May 2007 that it would be reinstated, being run in the last week of the school year.
The school owns the Owl's Nest, a converted barn situated in Disley, south of Manchester, near to Lyme Park. Disley is a Village and Civil parish in the Borough of Macclesfield, Cheshire, England. Lyme Park is an estate and Park near Disley, in the county of Cheshire, England. The barn is used by forms and activity groups of the school as a base for outdoor trips and camping expeditions. It is most frequently used by classes in the first and second years, who spend a weekend there with their form teacher and form prefects. Wide games such as Bull-dog take place in the field, and orienteering challenges in Lyme Park. The school takes steps to ensure that pupils do not enter the disused quarry next door. The name refers to the school's logo of the owl (pupils at the school are referred to as 'Sons of the Owl').
There are five annual School Camps, four of which have been in existence for many decades. They are held at Grasmere, Lucton, Bassenthwaite, Borrowdale and now also at Barnswood. The new camp Barnswood is held near Leek and was set up as part of a new campaign to encourage more boys to partake in the newly rebranded Camps and Activities week, which is a week in which extra-curricular activities are compulsory, and a large selection of activities are offered including the school camps. In Grasmere, the school has its own campsite donated by old boys in 1931.
Discipline is maintained by 2 members of staff, known as proctors, assisted by sixth and seventh formers who become prefects in this hierarchy:
School Officers: The Captain and three Vice-Captains, selected from the gold prefects by the High Master. The three Vice-Captains are each assigned to different sections of the school, one responsible for prefects, one for the Middle School and one for the Lower School. Each is also given a small team of assistants drawn from the Gold and Blue prefects. They can be identified around school by their badges, which bear the school's coat of arms in addition to the Gold Prefect Tie.
Gold Prefects: Sixteen pupils supervise and oversee the remainder. They are selected by the High Master during Summer Term, based on a vote amongst Lower Sixth boys, and staff recommendations, based on their academic performance, overall contribution to school and their performance as silver prefects. These can be identified by their gold badges and a black tie which bears the school emblem.
Blue Prefects: These were introduced in 2007 and are given by the High Master for contributions to Sport, Music, Art, Drama and the Book shop. They work alongside Gold Prefects and wear similar badges and ties, only in blue rather than gold.
Silver Prefects: Comprises most upper sixth formers and lower sixth after mid Michaelmas term. Duties include patrolling corridors or monitoring queues, during non-lesson time. They wear a silver Owl badge and a distinctive tie.
Deputy Prefects: Provisional appointments for a month after the middle of Michaelmas Term before being accepted or rejected by the master in charge of prefects. Selection is usually based on their record of attendance of their weekly duties and general conduct.
Owl List: A red or blue pocket book, listing all pupils of the school, organised by year and form. It is issued annually to all teaching and administrative staff and also the gold prefects.
PPS: Prefect Punishment School. This form of punishment has recently fallen out of use. Previously, it was a punishment that could be given by any prefect. It consisted of half an hour copying out text in the Sieff Theatre during the second half of Thursday lunchtime. Silver Prefects were able to issue PPSs, which then had to be checked and signed by a Gold Prefect or School Officer. Similarly, Gold Prefects and School Officers were able to issue and sign their own PPS to the offending pupil.
CS: Communication Slip. This is an orange slip that is sometimes sent home to parents to inform them of misdemeanors committed by pupils, that are too minor for a PS, but still need bringing to the attention of a pupil's parents. It is then up to the parents to discipline the pupil. CSs may be given for such offences as talking out of turn in lessons and not making an effort with ones work.
PS: Punishment School. Detentions that take place on Tuesday and Thursday early evenings and Saturday mornings. Schools generally employ a hierarchy of Punishments for infractions of rules They last for half an hour or an hour in the former case and one or two hours in the latter case. Saturday PS's are imposed for more serious infractions than those on weekdays, even when the detention is of the same duration. An example of an offence that could lead to a weekday PS would be repeated misbehaviour in lessons. A Saturday morning PS tends to be reserved for greater misdemeanors.
The school also operates Exclusion and Expulsion policies for serious issues such as bullying and drugs. Expulsion at a School or University is defined as removing a student from the institution for violating rules or Honor codes.
The school has plans to replace the existing Lecture Theatre with a new Drama Centre building. Funds for the building are still being raised but the construction of this is due to start towards the academic year of 2007/08.
The former Alan Garner Junior Library is being converted into the MGS Archive Office which will soon be open for pupils and visitors to research the history of the school.
As of September 2008, MGS will open a junior section to the school open to pupils in years 5 and 6. Boys entering the junior section will not sit an entrance exam but will be assessed by teachers. Due to the new junior section, boys in the upper school, years 7 to 11 (1st to 5th form), will wear blue shirts and boys in the junior school will wear white shirts as a general rule. A second open day is to be held on the 20th November 2007, for this junior section, with boys in the first and second years at the school being the majority involved in this open day. Events 284 - Diocletian was chosen as Roman Emperor. 762 - Bögü Khan of the Uyghurs, Year 2007 ( MMVII) was a Common year starting on Monday of the Gregorian calendar in the 21st century.