Kunbis, also known as Kunbi Marathas, are a Maratha sub-caste residing primarily in provinces of India such as Maharashtra, Madhya Pradesh, Gujarat and Karnataka etc. The Marāthās ( Marathi: mr मराठा also Mahrattas) form an Indo Aryan group of Hindu Warriors hailing mostly from the present-day India, officially the Republic of India (भारत गणराज्य inc-Latn Bhārat Gaṇarājya; see also other Indian languages) is a country Maharashtra ( Marathi: mahārāṣṭra, IPA) is a state located on the western coast of India. Madhya Pradesh (abbreviated as MP) ( Hindī: मध्य प्रदेश pronounced, Translation: Middle Province) often Gujarat (ગુજરાત Gujǎrāt, pronounced) is a state in western India. Karnataka (ಕರ್ನಾಟಕ pronounced) is a state in the southern part of India
List of famous Saints
- Saint Tukaram A 17th Century popular poet. Tukārām was a prominent Marathi Sant and religious poet in the Hindu tradition in India.
- Siddharameshwar Maharaj A guru of Nondualism, a saint of Solapur and guru of Nisargadatta Maharaj and Ranjith Maharaj. Sri Siddharameshwar Maharaj (Kannada (1888 - 1936 was one of the head gurus of the Inchegeri Sampradaya founded by his guru Shri Bhauseheb Maharaj which is a branch of the A guru (गुरु গুরু is a person who is regarded as having great knowledge wisdom and authority in a certain area and uses it to guide others Nondualism implies that things appear distinct while not being separate WikipediaWikiProject Indian cities for details --> Solapur is a city and a Municipal corporation in south eastern Maharashtra, India Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj (birth name Maruti Shivrampant Kambli ( April 17, 1897 – September 8, 1981) was an Indian
- Nisargadatta Maharaj One of the world famous disciples of Siddharameshwar Maharaj and author of book I Am That. Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj (birth name Maruti Shivrampant Kambli ( April 17, 1897 – September 8, 1981) was an Indian Sri Siddharameshwar Maharaj (Kannada (1888 - 1936 was one of the head gurus of the Inchegeri Sampradaya founded by his guru Shri Bhauseheb Maharaj which is a branch of the He has many international disciples who are famous and preach in USA, Europe & Australia. Some of his disciples are John Wheeler & Bob Adamson. John Wheeler may refer to John Archibald Wheeler (1911&ndash2008 physicist John Wheeler (commerce (fl
- Rashtra Saint Tukdoji Maharaj A national saint, musician and social reformer. Rashtra Saint Tukdoji Maharaj ( 1909 - 11 October 1968) born in Amravati District of Maharashtra state in central India. He wrote Gramgeeta for rural development. Gramgeeta an epic on Indian village life is a book of poetry authored by Rashtra Saint Tukdoji Maharaj.
List of other Saints
- Shree Saint Gulabrao Maharaj was blind from birth. He preached Vedas to the Brahmins.
- Shree Sant Gadaji Maharaj A saint, visionary leader and social reformer in 1700. He saved his own village from the mughal occupation and became famous for his extra-ordinary leadership and visionary speeches. Nearly 20 thousand people gather on holy occasions to remember him.
List of famous Kunbi women
- Lalita Pawar was a Bollywood actor known as the The Mother of all mothers-in-law in films. Lalita Pawar ( April 18, 1916 &mdash February 24, 1998) was a prolific Indian actor who later became famous as Character She was born into a rich Yevle family of Nashik and was married to Raj Prakash Gupta and lived in Pune. http//wwwmapsofindiacom/maps/maharashtra/roads/nashik_roadjpg Nashik (नाशिक Pune (ˈpuːneɪ Marathi: पुणे Hindi: पूना formerly Poona, is the second largest city in the state of Maharashtra She started her career in silent films in 1928 and acted in more than 500 Hindi and Marathi films.
- Usha Chavan was a Bollywood actor famous as the leading lady of the great Marathi Comedy actor Dada Kondke. Usha Chavan was an Indian Movie actress from 1970s and 80s She was the leading lady of the Marathi Comedy actor Dada Kondke in many of his greatly popular Marathi Krishna Kondke,( August 8, 1932 - March 14, 1998) popularly known as Dada Kondke was a Marathi actor and film producer
- Smita Patil was a Bollywood actor who was the first Asian cine-star to have the unique honor of Retrospectives in Paris and La Rochelle, (at the promptings of no less a film luminary than Director Costa Gavras), a two-time Best Actress award winner at the National Film Festival (Bhumika and Chakra) and a Padmashree. Smita Patil (स्मिता पाटील ( October 17, 1955 &ndash 13 December, 1986) was a leading Indian actress from Constantinos Gavras (born February 13, 1933, Loutra Iraias, Greece) better known as (Constantin Costa-Gavras (Κώστας Γαβράς Padma Shri (also spelt Padma Shree, Padmashree, Padma Sree and Padma Sri) is an award given by the Government of India generally She was a keen photographer and died at the age of 31.
- Smt Prabha Rau (Woman President of MPCC) was a sports person and has represented Maharashtra in the long jump, high jump, hurdles, discus throw and running. She is also a musician, and holds a Masters degree in Politics and Music.
- Smt Kumud Pawade was a renowned Sanskrit scholar, author and a professor. She was born in Nagpur in 1938 into a Mahar family considered to be untouchable before the 1950s. The Mahars are an important Social group within the Indian state of Maharashtra state and surrounding states She married Motiram Pawade a social worker who was from a Maratha family. The Marāthās ( Marathi: mr मराठा also Mahrattas) form an Indo Aryan group of Hindu Warriors hailing mostly from the present-day She was also the president of All India Progressive Woman's Organization.
- Smt Pratibha Patil Shekhawat was the first woman Governor of Rajasthan and Woman President of MPCC. Pratibha Devisingh Patil (प्रतिभा देवीसिंह पाटिल (born December 19, 1934) is the current President of India, the Before becoming Governor of Rajasthan, she was a Member of Rajya Sabha. She was Table Tennis Champion in her college days, and has won Inter-Tournaments. She holds an MA in Arts and a Law Degree. Besides her political career, she also manages her own educational institutes for the poor, and industries. She has been elected as the first woman President of India since July 2007. President is a Title leaders of Organizations companies, Trade unions universities, and countries. India, officially the Republic of India (भारत गणराज्य inc-Latn Bhārat Gaṇarājya; see also other Indian languages) is a country
- Mrs Ujjwala Raut-Sterry is India's most accomplished supermodel now settled in the US. Ujjwala Raut (born June 11, 1978) is an Indian Supermodel Career Raut was a 17-year-old commerce student when she became She has won awards in both India and internationally for her performance as a model. Born and brought up in Mumbai, she is married to British film producer Craig Maxwell Sterry. Mumbai ( Marathi:,, IPA: formerly Bombay, is the capital of the Indian state of Maharashtra and the financial The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, commonly known as the United Kingdom, the UK or Britain,is a Sovereign state located She has also been on the cover of Time magazine. Time (trademarked in capitals as TIME) is a weekly American Newsmagazine, similar to Newsweek and
List of famous Kunbi men
- Yashaskara, King of Kashmir. After the Utpala dynasty, a Yashaskara became king. (V 469). He was a great-grandson of a Viradeva, a Kutumbi (V 469). He was from the kutumbi group (also known as kurmis of UP and Kunbis of Gujarat/Maharashtra) and the son of a treasurer of Karkota Shamkaravarman.
- Shri Yashwantrao Chavan belonged to a poor farming family and was born on 12 March, 1913, in the village of Devrashtre in Karad Taluka of Satara. Yashwantrao Balwantrao Chavan ( 12 March 1913 - 25 November 1984) was the first Chief Minister of Maharashtra after the For the Moth Genus, see Satara (moth. Satara (Marathiसातारा is a Town located in the His great grandfather was killed in the third battle of Panipat. WikipediaWikiProject Indian cities for details --> Panipat ( Hindi: पानीपत is an ancient and historic city in Panipat District, . He has held and performed well in several government positions during his tenure.
- Shri Shankarrao Chavan was former Union Home Minister and Union Finance Minister, India. Shankarrao Bhaurao Chavan ( July 14, 1920 - February 26, 2004) was an Indian politician who served twice as Chief Minister Born on July 14, 1920, Educated from Madras University and then obtained a law degree from Osmania University
- Dr Shrikant Jichkar, MP, Member of Rajya Sabha, Cabinet Minister of Maharashtra holds 20 postgraduate degrees. The University of Madras is one of the three oldest Universities in India (along with the University of Calcutta and the University of Mumbai Osmania University (also known as OU in short is a Public university situated in the city of Hyderabad in Andhra Pradesh, India. DrShrikant Jichkar ( September 14, 1954 - June 2, 2004) was an Indian politician and member of the Congress Party. He has obtained 28 Gold Medals. Between 1972 and 1990 he wrote 42 University Examinations. He was also IPS officer and IAS officer. At 25 years of age, he became the Youngest MLA in India. He was also leading Indian delegations on several forums including the UNO, UNESCO. He is founder of Kavi Kulaguru Kalidas (India's firstSanskrit University). He is Managing Editor of Nagpur Times and Nagpur Patrika and Founding Chairman of National Institute of Amateur Radio. (The Guinness World Records lists him as 'Politician with most qualifications'. Guinness World Records, known until 2000 as The Guinness Book of Records (and in previous U He was the first Non-Brahmin to be awarded the Dixit Title)
- Sandeep Patil is a cricket player and former coach of the Kenya Cricket Team that reached World Cup Semi-Finals in 2003. Sandeep Madhusudan Patil (born August 18, 1956, Bombay, now Mumbai is a former cricketer who played for India between 1980 and 1986 Cricket is a bat-and-ball team Sport that originated in England and is now played in more than 100 countries He had a record for six fours in a cricket over. In the sport of Cricket, an over is a set of six consecutive balls bowled in succession
- Shri Ashok Desai is the former Attorney General of India, He authored several books on law, is Chief Justice of Uttaranchal, and was awarded Padma Bushan by Government of India.
- Barrister S. K. Wankhede is a former BCCI President and State Minister. Seshrao Krishnarao Wankhede (born September 24, 1914 in Nagpur - died January 30, 1988 in Mumbai) was a Cricket He was married to the late Smt Kusumtai (from a Brahmin family) who greatly contributed to his career success. Due to his contribution to Indian cricket a stadium was named after him.
- Shri Anant Geete is a Member of Parliament and former Union Minister of Power. Anant Geete (born 2 June, 1951) is a member of the 14th Lok Sabha of India. He is involved in power reforms that started during orthodox BJP Led-NDA central government. He belongs to Konkan Region.
- Shri Datta Meghe is Educationists, Member of Parliament, Rajya Sabha. He runs several educational institutes in Mumbai and Central India.
- Dr Atul Gawande is a second generation Harvard professor and doctor, who is also a columnist in US. Atul Gawande (b 1965 in Brooklyn NY) is a general and endocrine surgeon at Brigham and Women's Hospital in Boston Massachusetts and associate director He was a student at Stanford and Oxford. 
- Sharad Pawar is Union Minister of Agriculture and Former Chief Minister of Maharashtra, Mumbai Cricket Association President and BCCI President. Sharadchandra Govindrao Pawar (Marathi शरदचंद्र गोविंदराव पवार (born December 12, 1940) popularly known as He is a native of Baramati
- Late Dwarkanath Laxman Mhaskar known as Dadasaheb was the President of Tillori Kunbi Maratha Samaj (Mumbai). WikipediaWikiProject Indian cities for details --> Baramati is a city and a Municipal council in Pune district in the state of Maharashtra He has worked with his father Late Laxman Krishnaji Mhaskar in Govt central press, Mumbai when the freedom movement started, he later gave his resignation and got involved in to the movement. He was even attached with various school and colleges, as donor and commitee member. He was vice president of Mumbai Sharirik Shikshan Mandal Headed by Late Appa Samant(Fanas wadi Koliwadi). Also he had formed Maharashtara Rajya Hu-tu-tu Maha Mandal. He has arranged many tournaments in Mumbai and Rest of the state. He had formed Shreerang Co-operative Housing Society Limited, with help of Late S K Wankhede,(Former State Finance Minister) and Sumati Devi Dhanavte (M. Seshrao Krishnarao Wankhede (born September 24, 1914 in Nagpur - died January 30, 1988 in Mumbai) was a Cricket L. A. )frm Nagpur. This was the biggest Housing Society in India. He even participated in the separation of Mumbai region from Sanyukta Maharashtra. Mumbai ( Marathi:,, IPA: formerly Bombay, is the capital of the Indian state of Maharashtra and the financial He even went to jail during this movement. Govt of Maharashtra awarded him as Justice of Peace for 35 years. A Justice of the Peace ( JP) is a Puisne Judicial officer appointed by means of a commission to keep the peace He has traveled abroad for many social seminar in many countries. He died in May 88 in Thane.
- Rajnikanth also known as Shivaji Rao Gaekwad is an Indian Tamil and Bollywood actor, born in Bangalore. Rajinikanth (ರಜನೀಕಾಂತ್ रजनीकांत ரஜினிகாந்த் (born Shivaji Rao Gaekwad on December 12, 1950 Bollywood (बॉलीवूड بالی وڈ is the informal term popularly used for the Mumbai -based Hindi-language Film industry in India Bangalore ( officially Bengaluru ( Kannada: ಬೆಂಗಳೂರು) is the capital of the Indian state of Karnataka. He was a former bus conductor before he entered the film industry. he is the second highest paid actor in Asia after Action star Jacki Chan, he is the most popular star in Indian filims . Rajnikanth is a follower of Ramakrishna Paramhansa. Sri Ramakrishna Paramahamsa ( Bangla: রামকৃষ্ণ পরমহংস Ramkṛiṣṇo Pôromôhongśo) ( February 18, 1836 -
- Harish Raut (1925–2002) was born in Bordi. He was one of the best painters and his paintings appear in national galleries, government offices, museums in India and abroad and on greeting cards. Painting (pān'tīng in Art, is the practice of applying Color to a Surface (support base such as e He has won several state and national awards for his painting. His paintings mainly focus on rural life in India. His natural skill was identified and furthered by Government of Maharashtra. Maharashtra ( Marathi: mahārāṣṭra, IPA) is a state located on the western coast of India.
- Dr. R B Thakare Former adviser to World Bank and Asian Development Bank. He obtained his PhD from University of California, Berkly. The University of California ( UC) is a Public university system in the state of California. He is a widely recognized expert in the field of [Agriculture]. He has number of publications in international journals and is a Board of Member on various universities and institutes in India. At present he is active in India solving farmers problems.
- Dr. Panjabrao Deshmukh was a famous social reformer, educationists and freedom fighter in Vidarbha. DrPanjabrao Shamrao Deshmukh famously known as Bhausaheb Deshmukh was a great social activist and a Farmer's leader in India. He was the founder of Shivaji Education Society at Amravati and was a Union Minister of Agriculture in Pandit Nehru's government. He completed his Ph. D at University of Cambridge. The University of Cambridge (often Cambridge University) located in Cambridge, England, is the second-oldest university in the He returned to India was involved in reforms and was also associated with Dr Bhimrao Ambedkar. India, officially the Republic of India (भारत गणराज्य inc-Latn Bhārat Gaṇarājya; see also other Indian languages) is a country Bhimrao Ramji Ambedkar ( Marathi:डॊभीमराव रामजी आंबेडकर ( April 14, 1891 — December 6, 1956
- Mr. Sarang Bhoyar SSC Topper from Vidarbha board in 1994, Currently working at a high position in India's software giant, Infosys Technologies Limited.
- Dr. Datta Samant was a medical doctor by profession but came to be known as a very powerful Trade Union leader and was elected as a Member of Parliament. Dr Dutta Samant (also Datta Samant, and popularly referred to as Doctorsaheb) was an Indian politician and Trade union leader who is most famous A Member of Parliament, or MP, is a representative elected by the voters to a Parliament. He had seen the plight of his own poverty-stricken patients who were stone factory workers. He was assassinated probably because he got entangled in business rivalry of Dhirubhai Ambani, Khatau family, Nusli Wadia, other textile industrialists and Trade Unions. Dhirajlal Hirachand Ambani ( Hindi: धीरजलाल हीराचंद अंबानी also known as Dhirubhai ( Hindi: धीरूभाई Nusli Wadia is an Indian Parsi entrepreneur and an important figure in the Indian textile industry and real-estate business During this time Bombay was getting an influx of workers from all over India. Mumbai ( Marathi:,, IPA: formerly Bombay, is the capital of the Indian state of Maharashtra and the financial Dr Samant was assassinated by underworld thugs and during his time the Communist Party was influential in Bombay. In the study of Mythology and Religion, the underworld (gr κάτω κόσμος) is a generic term approximately equivalent to the lay term Afterlife . Bal Thackeray had a similar vision of Dr Samant which still remains incomplete. Bal Keshav Thackeray (बाळ केशव ठाकरे (born January 23, 1926) popularly known as Balasaheb Thackeray is the founder and
- Sanjay Raut A famous Shiv Sena member and a journalist by profession. Shri Sanjay Raut a politician from Shiv Sena party is presently a Member of the Parliament of India representing Maharashtra in the Rajya Sabha Shiv Sena ( Devanāgarī: शिव सेना Śīv Senā, meaning Army of Shiva, referring to Shivaji Bhosle) is a Political party A journalist (also called a newspaperman) is a person who practices Journalism, the gathering and dissemination of information about current events trends He is the Editor of Shiv Sena daily news paper Saamna. Shiv Sena ( Devanāgarī: शिव सेना Śīv Senā, meaning Army of Shiva, referring to Shivaji Bhosle) is a Political party He is also a Member of Parliament.
- Aditya Raut Youngest person in the world to swim across five continental channels 
List of common surnames
It is quite common in the state of Maharashtra that the following family names are used by other castes. Aditya Raut (born on August 20 1993 in Pune) is a record breaking long distance Swimmer.
- Adik, Aware, Akalkar, Amtekar, Ambekar, Agre
- Bachale,Burade, Bhalerao, Bhad, Brahmankar, Bele,Bhagavath, Bhuwad,Bhogate, Bhonde,Bhope, Belkar, Bhoir, Bodhale, Bante, Bhosale, Bhute, Baraskar, Bhurkunde, Balgude,Bhusari, BHOYAR
- Chaudhari, Chaudhary, Chavan, Chadokar
- Dandley,Dhone, Dhore, Dhuldhar, Dhorey, Dhote,Dange, Dongre, Dore, Desai, Dhawle, Dhanwate, Deshmukh, Deoskar, Deorkar, Dhamankar, Dhande, Dhongade, Dubey, Dhamakar, Dhadse, Dakhore,Dhumak ,Dhavade
- Gaonkar, Geete, Gurve, Gaithonde, Gore, Gode, Gaikwad, Gedam, Gawande, Gurve, Gaidhane, Gharat, Gavankar,
- Harad,Halmare,Hande, Hathonde
- Jadhav, Javanjal, Junarkar, Jichkar, Jharbade, Jagdale
- Karade, Kadu, Kafre, Khandar, Khade, Kadam, Kedar, Kale, Katole , Kor, Kahalkar, Khambe,Khapare, Kulat,Kalambe
- Lunge, Lalke, Lambat, Lode,Lande,Lade, Lakade, Lute,
- Ingle, Ingole
- Mali,Mhaskar, Mohodkar, Mohod, Mohol, Misal, Mathankar, Mandavkar, More, Munde,Mahajan, Manik, Mate, Mane,Mahalle, Mankar,Mahalle
- Nagle, Nagale, Narale, Navalkar, Naik, Nayak, Nigam, Nikunj, Nakhate
- Pabley, Parimal, Patil, Pawar, Pandey, Pashte, Panse, Pongale, Pimple, Pimpale, Premkhede
- Rode, Raut, Rane, Rasal,Raul, Rewale, Raonag
- Sonar, Sonare, Sagne, Shinde, Sable, Sawant, Satope, Salve, Shinde, Shelar, Solkar, Shigvan
- Tatte, Tale, Talar,Taiwade, Thakur, Thakre, Taley, Tambe, Tayde, Thape, Tope, Thombre, Ture, Temkar, Tambe
- Wankhade, Wankhede, Watonde, Wagh, Warhade,wadhai,Wadkar,Watane
- Zurmoore, Zooting, Zade, Zanjal
Historical social Structure in Central India
Kunbis of Maharashtra are known as Marathas as they form the farming section of Marathas. Maharashtra ( Marathi: mahārāṣṭra, IPA) is a state located on the western coast of India. They are also known as Patils, Patels or Patidars. Patil is an Indian last name It is predominantly used in the state of Maharashtra, Karnataka and parts of Andhra Pradesh Patel ( Gujarati પટેલ, Paṭel, pəʈel Kshatriyas are an Indian title in tune with the Hindu Caste system Patel ( Gujarati પટેલ, Paṭel, pəʈel Kshatriyas are an Indian title in tune with the Hindu Caste system Chatrapati Shahu Maharaj coined the word Maratha for the peasant section, so as to stand united against the priestly domination that existed for around 1,900 years. Chhatrapati (also Chatrapati) is an honorific or an imperial title for an Indian ruler Shahu IV (also known as Rajarshi Shahu ( 26 July 1874 - 6 May 1922) was Maharaja of the Indian Princely state of The Marāthās ( Marathi: mr मराठा also Mahrattas) form an Indo Aryan group of Hindu Warriors hailing mostly from the present-day Kunbis from Maharashtra have a 12 and 1/2 (also known as Saade Bara) clan system. The 12 clans predominantly consist of Indo-Aryan races and 1/2 part consists of other clans. Names of clans are listed below
- Tirale, most prosperous caste in number of parts of Maharashtra and now dominant in politics in Vidarbha and Khandesh. (Tirole is the most ancient of all the sub castes and represents the Rajputs from Therol from Rajputana)
- Lonari (Farming,business)
- Vandhekars (i. Rājputāna, also called Rājwār was the name of present Rājasthān state the largest state of the Republic of India in terms of area before its formation in 1949 CE e Deshmukhs) and Jadhav (administration, business, farming and now politically dominant)
- Ahire, Bawne, Vanjari and Dhanoje (money lenders, business and farming)
- Lonare, Zade, Beldar, Ghatole, Killedar and Dhakane
- Tirale,Mana, Karadi and Khedule
- Khaire and Jungli (tribals involved in farming)
Jadhavs with surnames Sonar, sonare, khapare, dhuldhar, bhurkunde, Tatte, Bhad, Deshmukh reside mainly in Vidharbha specially in western regions like Amaravati. In the Konkan region, many Kunbis practice farming and practice Christian religion. A Christian is a person who adheres to Christianity, a monotheistic Religion centered on the life and teachings of Jesus of Nazareth Many Kunbi groups in the Konkan and Goa region have their own farm lands and Churches. A church building is a Building or Structure whose primary purpose is to facilitate the meeting of a church.
Many Hindu-Kunbis perform the Upanayana Samskara as per their family traditions. Upanayana, sometimes known outside India by the name "sacred thread ceremony" is commonly known for being a Hindu rite-of-passage ritual In the past Kunbis have larger houses - some were called WADA, some were GADHI (fortressed complex) and some also had KEELLA (a fort). Most of the historical evidences are managed and maintained by National (India) and State (Maharashtra) level government departments, although there are many families who maintain their own set of documents or evidences as a mark of family assets. Large scale Kunbi farmers generally maintain large herds of dairy cattle and a number of horses.
References and links Kurmi ( Hindi:कुर्मी which is the name of one of the Castes of the Hindus Basically In hindu society structure there are four varna named The Gujjar ( Hindi: गुज्जर Urdu: گجر or Gurjar (Hindi गुर्जर Urdu گُرجر are an ethnic group in India and Kudumbi (also referred as Kunubis/kudumbi / Kunbi means a farmer is traditionally a farmer community
© 2009 citizendia.org; parts available under the terms of GNU Free Documentation License, from http://en.wikipedia.org
network: | |