Industrial disasters are mass disasters caused by industrial companies, either by accident, negligence or incompetence. A disaster is the impact of a natural or human-made hazard that negatively affects society or environment. For other uses of this term see Industry (disambiguation An industry (from Latin industrius, "diligent industrious" Negligence (Lat negligentia from negligere to neglect literally "not to pick up" is a legal concept in the Common law legal systems usually used to
- Courrières mine disaster in Courrières, France, on March 10, 1906. The Courrières mine disaster, Europe's worst mining accident caused the death of 1099 miners (including many children in Northern France on 10 March 1906 Courrières is a commune and chief town of a canton in the Pas-de-Calais département in the Nord-Pas-de-Calais region Events 241 BC - First Punic War: Battle of the Aegates Islands - The Romans sink the Carthaginian fleet bringing Year 1906 ( MCMVI) was a Common year starting on Monday (link will display full calendar of the Gregorian calendar (or a Common year starting 1,099 workers died, including children, in the worst mine accident ever in Europe.
- Triangle Shirtwaist Factory fire in New York City on March 25, 1911. The Triangle Shirtwaist Factory fire in New York City on March 25, 1911, was the largest Industrial disaster in the history of the city of New The City of New York Events 1199 - Richard I is wounded by a crossbow bolt while fighting France which leads to his death on April 6. Year 1911 ( MCMXI) was a Common year starting on Sunday (link will display the full calendar of the Gregorian calendar (or a Common year This was a major industrial disaster in the U. S. , causing the death of more than one hundred garment workers who either died in the fire or jumped to their deaths. The fire led to legislation requiring improved factory safety standards and helped spur the growth of the International Ladies' Garment Workers' Union, which fought for better working conditions for sweatshop workers in that industry. The International Ladies' Garment Workers' Union was once one of the largest labor unions in the United States, one of the first U A sweatshop is a working environment with very difficult or dangerous conditions usually where the workers have few rights or ways to address their situation
- The Boston Molasses Disaster occurred on January 15, 1919. Boston Molasses Disaster, also known as the Great Molasses Flood and the Great Boston Molasses Tragedy, occurred on January 15 1919, in the Events 588 BC - Nebuchadrezzar II of Babylon lays siege to Jerusalem under Zedekiah 's reign Year 1919 ( MCMXIX) was a Common year starting on Wednesday (link will display the full calendar of the Gregorian calendar (or a Common A large molasses tank burst and a wave of molasses rushed through the streets at an estimated 35 mph (56 km/h), killing 21 and injuring 150. Molasses or Treacle is a thick Syrup by-product from the processing of the Sugarcane or Sugar beet into Sugar. The event has entered local folklore, and residents claim that on hot summer days the area still smells of molasses.
- Oppau explosion in Germany occurred on September 21, 1921 when a tower silo storing 4500 tonnes of a mixture of ammonium sulfate and ammonium nitrate fertilizer exploded at a BASF plant in Oppau, now part of Ludwigshafen, Germany, killing 500–600 people and injuring about 2000 more. The Oppau explosion occurred on September 21 1921 when a tower silo storing 4500 tonnes of a mixture of Ammonium sulfate and Germany, officially the Federal Republic of Germany ( ˈbʊndəsʁepuˌbliːk ˈdɔʏtʃlant is a Country in Central Europe. Events 1217 - The Estonian tribal leader Lembitu of Lehola was killed in a battle against Teutonic Knights. Year 1921 ( MCMXXI) was a Common year starting on Saturday (link will display full 1921 calendar of the Gregorian calendar A silo is a structure for storing bulk materials. Silos are used in Agriculture to store grain (see Grain elevators or fermented feed This article is about the tonne or metric ton For other tons see Ton. Ammonium sulfate, (NH42SO4 is an inorganic chemical compound commonly used as a fertilizer The Chemical compound ammonium nitrate, the Nitrate of Ammonia with the chemical formula N[[Hydrogen H]]4 N[[Oxygen O]]3 Fertilizers ( also spelt fertiliser are chemical compounds given to Plants to promote growth they are usually applied either through the soil for uptake by plant BASF SE () is a German chemical company and the largest chemical company in the world Oppau may refer to Ludwigshafen-Oppau, a suburb of Ludwigshafen, Germany the Oppau explosion which occurred there in Ludwigshafen am Rhein is a City in Rhineland-Palatinate, Germany. Germany, officially the Federal Republic of Germany ( ˈbʊndəsʁepuˌbliːk ˈdɔʏtʃlant is a Country in Central Europe.
- Minamata disaster. sometimes referred to as, is a neurological syndrome caused by severe Mercury poisoning. This was caused by the dumping of mercury compounds in Minamata Bay, Japan. Mercury (ˈmɜrkjʊri also called quicksilver or hydrargyrum, is a Chemical element with the symbol Hg ( Latinized hydrargyrum is a city located in Kumamoto prefecture, Japan. It is on the west coast of Kyūshū. The Chisso Corporation, a fertilizer and later petrochemical company, was found responsible for polluting the bay during the years 1932-1968. The is a Japanese chemical company. It is particularly well known as a supplier of Liquid crystal used for LCD displays Chisso has been the subject of controversy Fertilizers ( also spelt fertiliser are chemical compounds given to Plants to promote growth they are usually applied either through the soil for uptake by plant It is estimated that over 3,000 people suffered various deformities, severe mercury poisoning symptoms or death from what became known as Minamata disease. sometimes referred to as, is a neurological syndrome caused by severe Mercury poisoning.
- Port Chicago Disaster. The Port Chicago disaster was a deadly Explosion that took place on July 17 1944 at the Port Chicago Naval Magazine in Port Chicago On 17 July 1944, an explosion that killed 320 people occurred at the Port Chicago Naval Magazine in Port Chicago, California. Events 180 - Twelve inhabitants of Scillium in North Africa are executed for being Christians Year 1944 ( MCMXLIV) was a Leap year starting on Saturday (link will display full calendar of the Gregorian calendar. Port Chicago Naval Magazine National Memorial at the Concord Naval Weapons Station near Concord Port Chicago was a Town on the southern banks of Suisun Bay, in Contra Costa County California.
- Texas City Disaster, Texas 1947. The Texas City Disaster of April 16, 1947, started with the mid-morning fire and detonation of approximately 2300 tons of Ammonium nitrate on board the On April 16, 1947 at 9:15 AM an explosion aboard a docked ship named the Grandcamp, and subsequent fires and explosions, is referred to as the worst industrial disaster in America. A minimum of 578 people lost their lives and another 3,500 were injured as the blast shattered windows from as far away as 25 miles (40 km). Huge boulders of steel flew into the sky to rain down more than a mile from ground zero. The origin of the explosion was fire in the cargo on board the ship. Detonation of 3,200 tons of ammonium nitrate fertilizer aboard the Grandcamp led to further explosions and fires. The Chemical compound ammonium nitrate, the Nitrate of Ammonia with the chemical formula N[[Hydrogen H]]4 N[[Oxygen O]]3 The fertilizer shipment was to aid the struggling farmers of Europe recovering from World War II. The fire was thought to have been ignited by a discarded cigarette. Although this industrial disaster was one of the largest involving ammonium nitrate many others have been reported, including a recent one in North Korea. The Chemical compound ammonium nitrate, the Nitrate of Ammonia with the chemical formula N[[Hydrogen H]]4 N[[Oxygen O]]3 The Ryongchŏn disaster was a Train disaster that occurred in the town of Ryongchŏn, North Korea near the border with China on April
- Little Rock AFB: Searcy,Arkansas. Little Rock Air Force Base is a United States Air Force facility located one mile (2 km) southeast of the Central business district of Jacksonville Augst 9, 1965 53 contract workers were killed during a fire at a Titan missile silo. Augst is a municipality in the district of Liestal in the canton of Basel-Country in Switzerland. Year 1965 ( MCMLXV) was a Common year starting on Friday (link will display full calendar of the 1965 Gregorian calendar. A missile silo is an underground vertical cylindrical container for the storage and launching of intercontinental ballistic missiles ( ICBMs. The cause of the fire was determined to be a welding rod damaging a hydraulic hose allowing hydraulic vapors to leak and spread throughout silo, which were then ignited by an open flame source.
- Seveso disaster. The Seveso disaster was an industrial accident that occurred around 1237 pm July 10, 1976, in a small chemical manufacturing plant approximately 25 km north of This was an industrial accident that occurred in Seveso, Italy, on July 10, 1976, in a small chemical manufacturing plant of ICMESA. Seveso (in Lombard language Séves) is an Italian town and Comune of 19872 inhabitants situated in the Province of Milan Italy (Italia officially the Italian Republic, (Repubblica Italiana is located on the Italian Peninsula in Southern Europe, and on the two largest Events 48 BC - Battle of Dyrrhachium, Julius Caesar barely avoids a catastrophic defeat to Pompey in Macedonia. Year 1976 ( MCMLXXVI) was a Leap year starting on Thursday (link will display full calendar of the Gregorian calendar. Due to the release of dioxins into the atmosphere and throughout a large section of the Lombard Plain, 3,000 pets and farm animals died and, later, 70,000 animals were slaughtered to prevent dioxins from entering the food chain. Not to be confused with Dioxane or Digoxin. Dioxin is a heterocyclic, organic, antiaromatic compound In addition, 193 people in the affected areas suffered from chloracne and other symptoms. Chloracne is an acne -like eruption of Blackheads Cysts and Pustules associated with over-exposure to certain Halogenated Aromatic The disaster lead to the Seveso Directive, which was issued by the European Community and imposed much harsher industrial regulations. The European Community (EC is one of the Three pillars of the European Union (EU created under the Maastricht Treaty (1992
- Bhopal Disaster in India (1984). The Bhopal disaster was an Industrial disaster that occurred in the city of Bhopal, Madhya Pradesh, India, resulting in the immediate deaths India, officially the Republic of India (भारत गणराज्य inc-Latn Bhārat Gaṇarājya; see also other Indian languages) is a country This was one of the worst industrial disasters on record. A faulty tank containing poisonous methyl isocyanate leaked at a Union Carbide plant and left nearly 3,000 people dead initially, and at least 15,000 from related illnesses. Methyl isocyanate (MIC is an organic compound with the molecular formula C2H3NO arranged as H3C-N=C=O Union Carbide Corporation ( Union Carbide) is one of the oldest chemical and polymers companies in the United States, currently employing more than 3800 people  The disaster caused the region's human and animal populations severe health problems to the present. Human beings, humans or man (Origin 1590–1600 L homō man OL hemō the earthly one (see Humus Health is a state of complete physical mental and social well-being and not merely the absence of disease or infirmity
- Romeoville, Illinois, Union Oil Refinery Explosion on July 23, 1984 kills 19 people. Romeoville is a village in Will County, Illinois, United States.
- Auburn, Indiana, gassing accident. Auburn is a city in DeKalb County, Indiana, United States. The population was 12074 at the 2000 census On June 28, 1988, four workers at an electroplating plant in Auburn, Indiana, were poisoned by hydrogen cyanide gas produced when hydrochloric acid was mixed with zinc cyanide in a cleaning operation. Events 1098 - Fighters of the First Crusade defeat Kerbogha of Mosul. Year 1988 ( MCMLXXXVIII) was a Leap year starting on Friday (link displays 1988 Gregorian calendar) Electroplating is the process of using electrical current to reduce Cations of a desired material from a solution and coat a conductive object Auburn is a city in DeKalb County, Indiana, United States. The population was 12074 at the 2000 census In the context of Biology, poisons are substances that can cause damage, Illness, or Death to Organisms usually by Hydrogen cyanide is a Chemical compound with Chemical formula HCN Hydrochloric acid is the Solution of Hydrogen chloride ( H[[Chlorine Cl]] in water A fifth victim died two days later.
- Phillips Disaster on October 23, 1989. The Phillips Disaster refers to a devastating series of explosions and fire in October of 1989, near the Houston Ship Channel in Texas, USA. Events 4004 BC - Creation of the world begins according to the calculations of Archbishop James Ussher 42 BC - Year 1989 ( MCMLXXXIX) was a Common year starting on Sunday (link displays 1989 Gregorian calendar) Explosion and fire killed 23 and injured 314 in Pasadena, Texas. Pasadena ( is a City south of Houston in Harris County Texas within the Houston–Sugar Land–Baytown metropolitan area Registered 3. 5 on the Richter scale. The Richter magnitude scale, or more correctly local magnitude M L scale assigns a single number to quantify the amount of seismic energy released
- 1991 Hamlet chicken processing plant fire, where locked doors trapped workers in a burning processing plant, causing 25 deaths. The Hamlet chicken processing plant fire was an Industrial disaster that took place at the Imperial Foods chicken processing plant in Hamlet, North Carolina
- Kader Toy Factory fire. The Kader Toy Factory fire was a fire on 10 May 1993 at a factory in Thailand. On May 10, 1993, a fire started in a poorly built factory in Thailand. Events 1291 - Scottish Nobles recognize the authority of Edward I of England. Year 1993 ( MCMXCIII) was a Common year starting on Friday (link will display full 1993 Gregorian calendar) Exit doors were locked and the stairwell soon collapsed. 188 workers were killed, mostly young women.
- Phillips explosion of 1999 on June 23. Two contractors were killed and three men were injured in an explosion on the morning of Wednesday June 23 1999 at Phillips Petroleum Company 's K-Resin plant in its chemical complex Events 1180 - First Battle of Uji, starting the Genpei War in Japan 1305 - The Flemish Explosion and fire killed 2 and injured 4 in Pasadena, Texas. Pasadena ( is a City south of Houston in Harris County Texas within the Houston–Sugar Land–Baytown metropolitan area
- Phillips explosion of 2000 on March 27. At approximately 122 pm CT on March 27 2000 an explosion and fire responsible for one death and 71 injuries occurred at Phillips Petroleum 's Houston Chemical Complex at 1400 Jefferson Events 196 BC - Ptolemy V ascends to the throne of Egypt. 1309 - Pope Clement V excommunicates Explosion and fire killed 1 and injured 71 in Pasadena, Texas. Pasadena ( is a City south of Houston in Harris County Texas within the Houston–Sugar Land–Baytown metropolitan area
- Texas City Refinery explosion. BP 's Texas City Refinery in Texas City Texas is the second-largest Oil refinery in the state and the third-largest in the United States. On March 23, 2005, an explosion occurred at a petroleum refinery in Texas City, Texas, that belonged to BP. It is the third largest refinery in the United States and one of the largest in the world, processing 433,000 barrels of crude oil per day and accounting for 3% of that nation's gasoline supply. Over 100 were injured, and 15 were confirmed dead, including employees of the Fluor Corporation as well as BP. BP has since accepted that its employees contributed to the accident. Several level indicators failed, leading to overfilling of a knock out drum, and light hydrocarbons concentrated at ground level throughout the area. A nearby running diesel truck set off the explosion.
- Qinghe Special Steel Corporation disaster, on April 18, 2007, a ladle holding molten steel separated from the overhead iron rail, fell, tipped, and killed 32 workers, injuring another 6. The Qinghe Special Steel Corporation disaster was an Industrial disaster that occurred on April 18 2007 in Tieling, Liaoning Province, China Events 1025 - Bolesław Chrobry is crowned in Gniezno, becoming the first King of Poland. Year 2007 ( MMVII) was a Common year starting on Monday of the Gregorian calendar in the 21st century.
- T2 Laboratories explosion and fire in Jacksonville, Florida, USA, on December 19, 2007. T2 Laboratories Inc of 3043 Faye Road Jacksonville Florida, USA, is a facility that specializes in the design and manufacture of specialty chemicals primarily An explosion is a sudden increase in Volume and release of Energy in an extreme manner usually with the generation of high Temperatures and the release Fire is the heat and light energy released during a Chemical reaction, in particular a combustion reaction. The United States of America —commonly referred to as the Year 2007 ( MMVII) was a Common year starting on Monday of the Gregorian calendar in the 21st century. Killed 4 and injured 14.
Other disasters can be considered industrial disasters, because their causes are rooted in the products or processes of industry. For example, the Great Chicago Fire of 1871 was severe due to the heavy concentration of lumber industry, wood houses, fuel and other chemicals in a small area. The Great Chicago Fire was a Conflagration that burned from Sunday October 8 to early Tuesday October 10 1871 killing hundreds and destroying about four square miles in
List of civilian nuclear accidents
© 2009 citizendia.org; parts available under the terms of GNU Free Documentation License, from http://en.wikipedia.org
network: | |