|Coat of arms||Location|
|Mayor||Dieter Hänlein (CDU)|
|Area||21. Wikipedia talkFeatured lists for an explanation of this and other inclusion tags below -->This list of countries, arranged alphabetically Germany, officially the Federal Republic of Germany ( ˈbʊndəsʁepuˌbliːk ˈdɔʏtʃlant is a Country in Central Europe. Germany (Deutschland is a Federal Republic consisting of sixteen States, known in German as Länder (singular Rhineland-Palatinate (Rheinland-Pfalz is one of the 16 federal states (German Bundesländer) of Germany. German districts (de ''Kreise'' or de ''Landkreise'' in the states of Nordrhein-Westfalen and Schleswig-Holstein, singular de ''Kreis'' and de ''Landreis'' Germersheim is a district ( Kreis) in the south-east of Rhineland-Palatinate, Germany. Burgomaster (alternatively spelled Burgo[[meister]], literally translated meaning master of the town or master of the Fortress The Christian Democratic Union of Germany (CDU Christlich Demokratische Union Deutschlands) is the largest Political party in Germany. Area is a Quantity expressing the two- Dimensional size of a defined part of a Surface, typically a region bounded by a closed Curve. 40 km² (8. 3 sq mi)|
|Elevation||105 m (345 ft)|
| - Density||977 /km² (2,530 /sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET/CEST (UTC+1/+2)|
|Location of the town of Germersheim within Germersheim district|
Coordinates: 49°13′00″N 8°22′00″E / 49.216667, 8.366667
Germersheim is a town in the German state of Rhineland-Palatinate, and has around 20,000 inhabitants. The elevation of a Geographic location is its height above a fixed reference point often the mean sea level. In Biology a population is the collection of inter-breeding organisms of a particular Species; in Sociology Population density (in agriculture standing stock and Standing crop) is a measurement of Population per unit area or unit volume Central European Time ( CET) is one of the names of the Time zone that is 1 hour ahead of Coordinated Universal Time. Central European Summer Time ( CEST) is one of the names of UTC+2 Time zone, 2 hours ahead of Coordinated Universal Time. UTC+1 is used in the following locations Central European Time West Africa Time Western European Summer Time UTC+2 corresponds to the following Time zones Eastern European Time Egypt Standard Time Central Africa Time German car number plates ( Kfz-Kennzeichen) show the place where the car carrying them is registered __FORCETOC__ Postal codes in Germany, Postleitzahl (plural Postleitzahlen abbreviated to PLZ consist of five digits which indicate the wider area (first two digits and the see also Telephone numbering in Germany for further codes including service numbers cell phones etc A website (alternatively web site or Web site, a back-construction from the Proper noun World Wide Web) is a collection of Web pages A geographic coordinate system enables every location on the Earth to be specified in three coordinates using mainly a spherical coordinate system. Germany (Deutschland is a Federal Republic consisting of sixteen States, known in German as Länder (singular Rhineland-Palatinate (Rheinland-Pfalz is one of the 16 federal states (German Bundesländer) of Germany. Germersheim is also the seat of the Germersheim district. Germersheim is a district ( Kreis) in the south-east of Rhineland-Palatinate, Germany. It neighbours the cities of Speyer, Landau, Philippsburg, Karlsruhe and Wörth. Speyer (English formerly Spires) is a City in Germany ( Rhineland-Palatinate) with approx Landau or Landau in der Pfalz (pop 41821 is an autonomous ( kreisfrei) city surrounded by the Südliche Weinstraße ("Southern Wine Route" Not to be confused with Phillipsburg or Philipsburg. Philippsburg is a city in Germany, in the district of Karlsruhe Karlsruhe (ˈkaɐ̯lsʁuːə population 285812 in 2006 is a city in the south west of Germany, in the Bundesland Baden-Württemberg, located near
Coat of arms
A golden crowned eagle on blue. Once the town was ruled directly by the emperor of Germany, therefore it shows the eagle as a symbol of that. The origin of the colours is unknown.
- Having invaded Gallia, Gaius Iulius Caesar made the Rhine river the border between the Roman Empire and Germania. Gaul (Gallia was the Roman name for the region of Western Europe comprising present day northern Italy, France, Belgium, western The Rhine (Rhein Rijn Rhin Reno Rain Rhenus is one of the longest and most important Rivers in Europe at 1320 kilometres (820 mi with an average discharge The Roman Empire was the post-Republican phase of the ancient Roman civilization, characterised by an autocratic form of government and large territorial Germania was the Latin Exonym for Later some smaller parts east of it were invaded and added to the Roman province of Agri Decumates. In Ancient Rome, a province (Latin provincia, pl provinciae) was the basic and until the Tetrarchy (circa Agri Decumates was a region of the Roman Empire, covering the Black Forest area between the Main river and the sources of Danube and Rhine As it was attacked more and more it later was given up in the second half of the third century and a military camp was founded, named "Vicus Iulii" ("Village of Julius/Julius' Village). The 3rd century is the period from 201 to 300 in accordance with the Julian calendar in the Christian / Common Era. It was supported up to the fourth century. As a means of recording the passage of Time, the 4th century (per the Julian calendar and Anno Domini / Common era) was that Century
- The first record of the name "Germersheim" is from 1090, when it was named in the Sinsheimer Chronik (Chronicle of Sinsheim). Generally a chronicle (chronica from Greek (from) is a historical account of facts and events in chronological order Also see Sinzheim. Sinsheim is a town in southwestern Germany, in the Rhine Neckar Area of the state Baden-Württemberg The German King Rudolph von Habsburg (Rudolf of Habsburg) gave Germersheim city rights in 1276 (18 August). Rudolph I, also known as Rudolph of Habsburg ( German: Rudolf von Habsburg, Latin Rudolfus) May 1, 1218 &ndash Events 293 BC - The oldest known Roman temple to Venus is founded starting the institution of Vinalia Rustica. There is a legend which says that he, as a sick man, rode from Germersheim to Speyer to die there and not in Germersheim.
- In 1325 the town was given to the Electoral Palatinate by King Ludwig IV. The Palatinate of the Rhine (Pfalzgrafschaft bei Rhein later the Electoral Palatinate (Kurpfalz was a historical territory of the Holy Roman Empire Louis IV ( 1 April[[ 282]] &ndash 11 October 1347) called the Bavarian, of the house of Wittelsbach, was the Duke of Bavaria It got a higher status in the following centuries. A Catholic Order founded a monastery in 1298 which it used up to 1527.
- Having been nearly destroyed in the times of the plague and the Thirty Years' War Germersheim was burned down by French troops in 1674. Bubonic plague is the best-known manifestation of the bacterial disease plague, caused by the bacterium Yersinia pestis (formerly known as For the Mauritanian Thirty Years' War see Char Bouba war. For the band see The 30 Years War. This article is about the country For a topic outline on this subject see List of basic France topics. Only the crypt and the foundations of the Catholic church survived. In terms of European architecture a crypt (from the Latin crypta and the Greek κρυπτη, kryptē) is a stone chamber or
- From the year 1793, Germersheim belonged to France, until it was conquered by Bavarian troops in 1814. This article is about the country For a topic outline on this subject see List of basic France topics. Bavaria ( German:, with an area of 70553 Km² (27241 square miles and almost 12 After being retaken in 1814, Germersheim's Bavarian rulers started to build a fortress in 1831. It was completed in 1855, although excavations for underground passages continued until 1861. By this time, however, the fortress had become outdated, as artillery had improved greatly in the thirty years since work began. The fortress was destroyed in 1921/22 as a result of the Treaty of Versailles. The Treaty of Versailles was one of the peace treaties at the end of World War I. Some parts still exist, such as the "Fronte Beckers", where the town's Music School is today.
- General Hans Graf von Sponeck, who ordered the retreat of his troops from Kerch because they were going to be hopelessly cut off by the Russian landings at Theodosia, on the Crimean Peninsula, and against express instruction of his superior officer in the winter 1941, was interned here in the fortress after Hitler had commuted his death sentence to six years detention. Hans Graf von Sponeck or Hans Emil Otto Graf Sponeck ( January 12, 1888 – July 23, 1944) was a German General-Leutnant Cimmerian Bosporus redirects here For the ancient state see Bosporan Kingdom; for its rulers see Kings of Cimmerian Bosporus. Crimea (kraɪˈmiːə or the Autonomous Republic of Crimea (Крим Автономна Республіка Крим Avtonomna Respublika Krym; Крым Hi and welcome to Wikipedia! Please understand that this article is frequently vandalized and vandalism is reverted immediately In the purge following the failed assassination attempt on Hitler Graf Sponeck, although not involved, was shot. Today, a street in Germersheim is named Hans Graf Von Sponeck Straße in his honour.
- In 1972 the Second British Rock Festival was held here. After learning of the festival, city authorities forbade it, reasoning that the town and its population (at the time around one tenth of the number of expected concertgoers) could not accommodate such a large crowd. However, the city soon realized it could not stop the surge of people into Germersheim and relented.
|Seat distribution in the town council (2004)|
|Party||Percentage||Number of seats|
|CDU||43. The Christian Democratic Union of Germany (CDU Christlich Demokratische Union Deutschlands) is the largest Political party in Germany. 4||16|
|FW||10. This is a list of political parties in Germany. Germany has a Multi-party system with two large parties three substantial smaller parties and a number of minor 5||4|
|REP||8. The Republicans (Die Republikaner REP) is a Nationalist conservative Political party in Germany. 3||3|
|FDP||4. The Free Democratic Party ( Freie Demokratische Partei, FDP is a liberal Political party in Germany. 9||2|
|B90/Grüne||4. The Alliance '90/The Greens ( Bündnis 90/Die Grünen) the German Green party, is a Political party in Germany whose regional 9||2|
Sons and daughters of the city
External links Karl Schmitt-Walter ( December 23, 1900, Germersheim - January 14, 1985, Kreuth) was a German operatic Baritone Events 962 - Byzantine-Arab Wars: Under the future Emperor Nicephorus Phocas, Byzantine troops stormed the city Year 1900 ( MCM) was an exceptional Common year starting on Monday (link will display the full calendar of the Gregorian calendar Events 1129 - Formal approval of the Order of the Templar at the Council of Troyes. Year 1985 ( MCMLXXXV) was a Common year starting on Tuesday (link displays 1985 Gregorian calendar) Kreuth is a municipality in the district of Miesbach in Bavaria in Germany. Events 54 - Nero ascends to the Roman throne 409 - Vandals and Alans crossed the Pyrenees Year 1902 ( MCMII) was a Common year starting on Wednesday (link will display calendar of the Gregorian calendar (or a Common year starting Events 307 - After divorcing his wife Minervina, Constantine marries Fausta, the daughter of the retired Roman Emperor Year 1968 ( MCMLXVIII) was a Leap year starting on Monday (link will display full calendar of the Gregorian calendar. The Christian Democratic Union of Germany (CDU Christlich Demokratische Union Deutschlands) is the largest Political party in Germany. Rhineland-Palatinate (Rheinland-Pfalz is one of the 16 federal states (German Bundesländer) of Germany. Lothar Fischer ( November 8, 1933 &ndash June 15, 2004) was a German sculptor Events 1519 - Hernán Cortés enters Tenochtitlán and Aztec ruler Moctezuma welcomes him with great a Celebration Year 1933 ( MCMXXXIII) was a Common year starting on Sunday (link will display full calendar of the Gregorian calendar. "MMIV" redirects here For the Modest Mouse album see " Baron von Bullshit Rides Again " Baierbrunn is a municipality in the district of Munich in Bavaria in Germany.
© 2009 citizendia.org; parts available under the terms of GNU Free Documentation License, from http://en.wikipedia.org
network: | |