Culinary art is the art of cooking. The word "culinary" is defined as something related to, or connected with, cooking or kitchens. A culinarian is a person working in the culinary arts. A culinarian working in restaurants is commonly known as a cook or a chef. Culinary artists are responsible for skillfully preparing meals that are as pleasing to the palate as to the eye. Increasingly they are required to have a knowledge of the science of food and an understanding of diet and nutrition. They work primarily in restaurants, fast food Chain store franchises, delicatessens, hospitals and other institutions and corporations. Kitchen conditions vary depending on the type of business, restaurant, nursing home etc.
Careers in culinary arts
There are a wide variety of opportunities in the culinary arts profession. Below is a non-exhaustive list of some opportunities available to those interested in working as culinary professionals. 
- Chef and Cooks - Work directly with the preparation of food for service in various establishments including full-service restaurants, catering facilities, institutional dining, corporate dining, and other various venues. A chef is a person who cooks professionally In a professional kitchen setting the term is used only for the one person in charge of everyone else in the kitchen the executive
- Dining Room Service'
- Food and Beverage Managers - Manage all food and beverage outlets in hotels and other large establishments
- Food and Beverage Controllers - Purchase and source ingredients in large hotels as well as manage the stores and stock control. Restaurant management is the profession of managing a restaurant A hotel is an establishment that provides paid lodging usually on a short-term basis A hotel is an establishment that provides paid lodging usually on a short-term basis
- Consultants and Design Specialists - Works with restaurant owners in development of menus, layout and design of dining room and establishing kitchen protocols. A consultant (from the Latin consultare means "to discuss" from which we also derive words such as consul and counsel) is a Professional
- Salespeople - Introduce chefs and business owners to new products and are able to demonstrate the proper use of equipment. A chef is a person who cooks professionally In a professional kitchen setting the term is used only for the one person in charge of everyone else in the kitchen the executive They may sell any range of products needed in the industry from various food products to equipment.
- Teachers - Train future culinary professionals with their experience in the classroom. In Education, a teacher is one who helps Students or pupils often in a School, as well as in a Family, religious or
- Food Writers and Food Critics - Establish a public contact with the public on food trends, chefs and restaurants. The terms food critic, food writer, and restaurant critic can all be used to describe a Writer who analyzes food or Restaurants and then publishes The terms food critic, food writer, and restaurant critic can all be used to describe a Writer who analyzes food or Restaurants and then publishes Many write for newspapers, magazines and some publish books. A newspaper is a written Publication containing News, information and Advertising, usually printed on low-cost paper called Newsprint. Magazines, periodicals or serials are Publications generally published on a regular schedule containing a variety of articles, generally Notables in this field include Julia Child, Craig Claiborne and James Beard. Julia Child (born Julia Carolyn McWilliams August 15, 1912 – August 13, 2004) was a famous American cook, Author Craig Claiborne ( September 4, 1920 – January 22, 2000) was an American Restaurant critic, Food Writer James Andrew Beard ( May 5, 1903 – January 21, 1985) was an American Chef and Food
- Food Stylists and Photographers - Work with magazines, books, catalogs and promotional and advertising to make them visually appealing. Food stylists make Food look attractive in Photographs and Videos for advertisements and menus A photographer is a person who takes a Photograph using a Camera.
- Research and Development Kitchens - Develop new products for commercial manufacturers, they can also be test kitchens for publications or others can be kitchens for restaurant chains or grocery chains.
- Entrepreneurship. Many culinarians develop their own business with examples including restaurants, bakeries, speciality food manufacture (chocolates, cheese etc).
The occupation outlook for chefs, restaurant managers, dieticians, and nutritionists is fairly good, with "as fast as the average" growth. A chef is a person who cooks professionally In a professional kitchen setting the term is used only for the one person in charge of everyone else in the kitchen the executive Restaurant management is the profession of managing a restaurant The term nutritionist is subject to several interpretations In many jurisdictions a nutritionist is a health specialist who devotes professional activity to food and Nutritional  Increasingly a college education with formal qualifications is required for success in this field.
Culinary Art International Colleges of Education
Le Cordon Bleu campuses:
- Le Cordon Bleu College Of Culinary Arts, Las Vegas
- Le Cordon Bleu College of Culinary Arts, Atlanta
- Le Cordon Bleu College of Culinary Arts, Minneapolis-St. Pennsylvania Culinary Institute (PCI located in Pittsburgh PA was founded in 1986 The Cooking and Hospitality Institute of Chicago (CHIC an affiliate of Le Cordon Bleu, was founded in 1983 The Culinary Institute of America (CIA is a culinary school located in Hyde Park ( Dutchess County New York) USA, founded in 1946 Scottsdale Culinary Institute (SCI is a career-focused school in Arizona specializing in culinary and hospitality education This article is about the chain of for-profit art schools For the stand-alone art college in Boston see The Art Institute of Boston; for the stand-alone art college in Paul
- Le Cordon Bleu College of Culinary Arts, Miami
- Le Cordon Bleu College of Culinary Arts, Dallas
Johnson and Wales University , Providence RI-Denver-NC-Florida
- The Restaurant School,Philadelphia,Pa
The Art Intitute
- Beal, Eileen. The American Dietetic Association ( ADA) is the United States ' largest organization of Food and Nutrition professionals with nearly 67000 members A chef is a person who cooks professionally In a professional kitchen setting the term is used only for the one person in charge of everyone else in the kitchen the executive Gastronomy is the study of the relationship between Culture and Food. The hospitality industry is a 35 trillion dollar service sector within the global economy The Gourmet Museum and Library (Bibliothèque et musée de la Gourmandise is a Museum dedicated to the History of Gastronomy, located in Hermalle-sous-Huy Choosing a career in the restaurant industry. New York: Rosen Pub. Group, 1997.
- Institute for Research. Careers and jobs in the restaurant business: jobs, management, ownership. Chicago: The Institute, 1977.
McBride, Kate, ed. The Professional Chef/ the Culinary Institute of America, 8th ed. Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley & Sons, INC, 2006.
© 2009 citizendia.org; parts available under the terms of GNU Free Documentation License, from http://en.wikipedia.org
network: | |