|City College of New York|
|Motto:||Respice, Adspice, Prospice|
(Look back, look at, and look ahead)
|President:||Dr. A motto (from the Italian word motto, meaning witticism sentence is a phrase meant to formally describe the general motivation or intention of a social group The date of establishment or date of founding of an Institution is the date on which that institution chooses to claim as its starting point The term public school has two distinct (and virtually opposite meanings depending on the location of usage in the United States, Australia and A financial endowment is a Transfer of Money or Property donated to an Institution, usually with the stipulation that it be invested University president is the title of the highest ranking officer within a University, within university systems that prefer that appellation over other variations such as Gregory H. Williams|
|Provost:||Dr. Gregory H Williams is the 11th and current president of The City College of New York. Provost is the title of a senior Academic administrator at many institutions of Higher education in the United States and Canada, the equivalent Zeev Dagan|
|Faculty:||508 (full time)|
|Location:||New York City, NY, USA|
|Athletics:||16 sports teams|
|Colors:||Lavender and Black|
|Affiliations:||City University of New York|
The City College of The City University of New York (known more commonly as City College of New York or simply City College, CCNY, or colloquially as City) is a senior college of the City University of New York, in New York City. A faculty is a division within a University. The concept of a university with different faculties for different subjects dates back to Al-Azhar University, which had Employment is a Contract between two parties, one being the employer and the other being the employee. In some Educational systems undergraduate education is Post-secondary education up to the level of a Bachelor's degree. See also Postgraduate Training in Education Postgraduate education (synonymous in North America with graduate education, and sometimes described The City of New York New York ( is a state in the Mid-Atlantic and Northeastern regions of the United States and is the nation's third most populous The United States of America —commonly referred to as the Urbanizationn (also spelled urbanisation) is the physical growth of Urban areas into rural or natural land as a result of population in-migration to an existing School colors are the Colors chosen by a School to represent it on uniforms and other items of identification Lavender is a pale Tint of violet. It applies particularly to the Color of the flower of the same name. Black is the Color of objects that do not emit or Reflect Light in any part of the Visible spectrum; they absorb all such frequencies of The term mascot – defined as a term for any person animal or object thought to bring Luck – colloquially includes anything used to represent a group with a common Beavers are two primarily nocturnal semi-aquatic species of Rodent, one native to North America and one to Europe The City University of New York (CUNY Acronym ˈkjuːni is the public University system of New York City. A website (alternatively web site or Web site, a back-construction from the Proper noun World Wide Web) is a collection of Web pages The City University of New York (CUNY Acronym ˈkjuːni is the public University system of New York City. The City of New York It is also the oldest of the City University's twenty three institutions of higher learning.  City College's thirty-five acre Manhattan campus along Convent Avenue from 130th Street to 141st Street is on a hill overlooking Harlem; its neo-Gothic campus was mostly designed by George Browne Post, and many of its buildings are landmarks. Manhattan Island, in New York Harbor, is much the largest part of the Borough of Manhattan, one of the Five Boroughs which form the City of New York Harlem is a neighborhood in the New York City borough of Manhattan, long known as a major African American cultural and business center The Gothic Revival is an architectural movement which began George Browne Post ( December 15, 1837 &ndash November 28, 1913) was an American architect trained in the Beaux-Arts tradition Originally a landmark literally meant a Geographic Feature used by explorers and
CCNY was the first free public institution of higher education in the United States and also for many years has been considered the flagship campus of the CUNY public university system. The City University of New York (CUNY Acronym ˈkjuːni is the public University system of New York City. 
The City College of New York was originally founded as the Free Academy of the City of New York in 1847 by former mayor Townsend Harris. Townsend Harris ( B 3 October 1804 –1878 was a successful New York City merchant and minor politician and the first United States Consul General A combination prep school and college, it would provide children of immigrants and the poor access to free higher education based on academic merit alone. It is ranked as Top 200-400 Universities in World by Shanghai Jiao Tong University in the year 2007.
It was subsequently renamed the College of the City of New York, but that name was later transferred to the complex of the municipally-owned colleges in New York City, which was the predecessor of the modern City University of New York. The City University of New York (CUNY Acronym ˈkjuːni is the public University system of New York City. At that time, CCNY became officially City College of the College of the City of New York , and later adopted its current name when CUNY was formally established as the umbrella institution for New York City's municipal-college system in 1961. The name City College of New York, however, is in general use.
In 1847, New York State Governor John Young had given permission to the Board of Education to found The Free Academy, which was ratified in a statewide referendum. John Young ( June 12, 1802 - April 23, 1852) was an American Politician. Founder Townsend Harris proclaimed,
"Open the doors to all . Townsend Harris ( B 3 October 1804 –1878 was a successful New York City merchant and minor politician and the first United States Consul General . . Let the children of the rich and the poor take their seats together and know of no distinction save that of industry, good conduct and intellect. "
Dr. Horace Webster, first president of The Free Academy on the occasion of its formal opening, January 21, 1849, said:
"The experiment is to be tried, whether the children of the people, the children of the whole people, can be educated; and whether an institution of the highest grade, can be successfully controlled by the popular will, not by the privileged few. Horace Webster ( September 21, 1794 - July 12, 1871) was an American educator who graduated from the United States Military Academy "
In 1851, a curriculum was adopted which had nine main fields: Math, History, Language, Literature, Drawing, Natural Philosophy, Experimental Philosophy, Law and Political Economy. The Academy's first graduation took place in 1853 in Niblo's Garden Theatre , a large theater and opera house on Broadway, near Houston Street at the corner of Broadway and Prince Street.
In 1866, the name was changed to The College of the City of New York and lavender was chosen as its color, while in the next year, the academic senate, the first student government in the nation, was formed. Having struggled over the issue for ten years, in 1895 the New York State legislature voted to let the college build a new campus. A four-square block site was chosen, located in Manhattanville, within the area which is today enclosed by the North Campus Arches.
Education courses were offered in 1897 as a result of a city law which prohibited hiring teachers who lacked proper education. The School of Education was established in 1921. The College newspaper, The Campus, published its first issue in 1907, and the first degree-granting evening session in the United States was started. Separate Schools of Business and Civic Administration and of Technology (Engineering) were established in 1919. Students were also required to sign a loyalty oath. In 1947, the college celebrated its centennial year, awarding honorary degrees to Bernard Baruch (class of 1889) and Robert F. Wagner (class of 1898). Bernard Mannes Baruch (bəˈɹuk ( August 18, 1870 &ndash June 20, 1965) was a Jewish-American Financier, stock market Speculator Robert Ferdinand Wagner ( 8 June 1877 &ndash 4 May 1953) was a Democratic United States Senator from New York A 100 year time capsule was buried in North Campus.
In the years when top-flight private schools were restricted to the children of the Protestant Establishment, thousands of brilliant individuals (especially Jewish students) attended City College because they had no other option. Protestantism refers to the forms of Christian faith and practice that originated in the 16th century Protestant Reformation. The Establishment is a Pejorative term used to refer to the traditional Ruling class Elite and the structures of society that they control CCNY's academic excellence and status as a working-class school earned it the titles "Harvard of the Proletariat", the "poor man's Harvard", and "Harvard-on-the-Hudson". The proletariat (from Latin la ''proles'' "offspring" is a term used to identify a lower Social class; a member of such a class is proletarian 
Even today, after three decades of controversy over its academic standards, no other public college has produced as many Nobel laureates who have studied and graduated with a degree from a particular public college. The Nobel Prize (Nobelpriset (Nobelprisen is a Swedish prize established in the 1895 will of Swedish chemist Alfred Nobel; it was first awarded in Peace, Literature  CCNY's official quote on this is "Nine Nobel laureates claim CCNY as their Alma Mater, the most from any public college in the United States".   This should not be confused with Nobel laureates that earned the distinction at a public university as UC Berkeley boasts 19.
In its heyday of the 1930s through the 1950s, CCNY became known for its political radicalism. Politics Politics is the process by which groups of people make decisions For opposition to all forms of government social hierarchy or authority see Anarchism. It was said that CCNY was the place for arguments between Trotskyites and Stalinists. Trotskyism is the theory of Marxism as advocated by Leon Trotsky. Stalinism is the political regime named after Joseph Stalin, leader of the Soviet Union from 1929–1953 Alumni who were at City College in the mid-20th century said that City College in those days made Berkeley in the 1960s look like a school of conformity. The University of California Berkeley (also referred to as Cal, Berkeley and UC Berkeley) is a major research university located in Berkeley
CCNY is the only team in men's college basketball history to win both the NIT and the NCAA Tournament in the same year, 1950. College basketball most often refers to the American Basketball competitive governance structure established by the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA The National Invitation Tournament (NIT is a men's college Basketball tournament operated by the National Collegiate Athletic Association. The NCAA Men's Division I Basketball Championship is a single elimination Tournament held each spring featuring 65 College basketball teams in the However, this accomplishment has been overshadowed by a point shaving scandal in which, during the course of 1951, seven CCNY basketball players were arrested for taking money from gamblers to affect the outcome of games. The CCNY Point Shaving Scandal was one of the first major College basketball Point shaving gambling scandals Background The scandal involved  This led to the decline of CCNY from a national powerhouse in Division I basketball to a member of Division III and damaged the national profile of college basketball in general.
During a 1969 takeover of South campus, under threat of a race riot, African American and Puerto Rican activists and their white allies demanded, among other policy changes, that City College implement an aggressive affirmative action program (Traub). African Americans or Black Americans are citizens or residents of the United States who have origins in any of the black populations of Africa Puerto Ricans in the United States (also referred to as the "Puerto Rican Diaspora," " Nuyorican " "Stateside Puerto Ricans" "mainland Affirmative action in the United States|Employment equity (Canada|Reservation in India|Numerus clausus The term affirmative action describes many policies aimed at a historically At some point, campus protesters began referring to CCNY as "Harlem University. " The administration of CCNY at first balked at the demands, but instead, came up with an open admissions or open-access program under which any graduate of a New York City high school might be able to matriculate either at City College or somewhere in the CUNY college system. Open Admissions is a type of admissions in the process of College admissions in the United States in which the only criterion for admission is a High-school diploma High school is the name used in some parts of the world (in particular Scotland, North America and Australia) to describe an institution Beginning in 1970, the program opened doors to college to many who would not otherwise have been able to attend college, but came at the cost of City College's academic standing and New York City's fiscal health.
City College began charging tuition in 1976, and by the 1990s stopped accepting and working with students who didn't meet its formal entrance requirements.
CCNY's new Frederick Douglass Debate Society defeated Harvard and Yale at the "Super Bowl" of the American Parliamentary Debate Association in 1996. In 2003, the college's Model UN Team was awarded as an Outstanding Delegation, an honor that it would repeat for four years in a row. Model United Nations (informally abbreviated as Model UN or MUN) is an academic simulation of the United Nations that aims to educate participants
The U. S. Postal Service issued a postcard commemorating CCNY's 150th Anniversary, featuring Shepard Hall, on Charter Day, May 7, 1997.
In October 2005, Dr. Andrew Grove, a 1960 graduate of the Engineering School in Chemical Engineering, and co-founder of Intel Corporation, donated $26,000,000 to the Engineering School, which has since been renamed the Grove School of Engineering. Andrew Stephen Grove (Gróf András István (born 2 September 1936) is a Hungarian - American Businessman and scientist Chemical engineering is the branch of Engineering that deals with the application of Physical science (e It is the largest donation ever given to the City College of New York.
City College was originally situated in downtown Manhattan, in the Free Academy Building, which was CCNY's home from 1849 to 1907. Manhattan Island, in New York Harbor, is much the largest part of the Borough of Manhattan, one of the Five Boroughs which form the City of New York The building was designed by James Renwick, Jr. and was located at Lexington Avenue and 23rd Street. James Renwick Jr (b November 11, 1818, Bloomingdale New York - d According to some sources, it was the first Gothic Revival college building on the East Coast. 
This new campus was designed by George Browne Post. George Browne Post ( December 15, 1837 &ndash November 28, 1913) was an American architect trained in the Beaux-Arts tradition
According to CCNY's published history, "The Landmark neo-Gothic buildings of the North Campus Quadrangle were designed by the noted architect George Browne Post. They are superb examples of English Perpendicular Gothic style and are among the first buildings, as an entire campus, to be built in the U. S. in this style. Groundbreaking for the Gothic Quadrangle buildings took place in 1903".
The original neo-Gothic buildings on the new upper Manhattan campus were:
Shepard Hall was the largest building and the centerpiece of the campus, and modeled after a Gothic cathedral plan, and whose main entrance was designed to be on St. Nicholas Terrace.  It also contained a large cathedral or chapel assembly hall called "The Great Hall". 
Harris Hall, named in the original architectural plans as "the Sub-Freshman Building", housed City College's preparatory high school from 1906 until it moved in 1930 downtown to the School of Business. 
Baskerville Hall, for many years housed the Chemistry Department, was also known as the Chemical Building, and had one of the largest original lecture halls on the campus, Doremus lecture hall. 
Compton Hall was originally designed as and called The Mechanical Arts Building in the original plans. 
Five of these new Gothic campus buildings opened in 1906. The sixth, Goethals Hall , finished in 1930, was named after George Goethals the famous civil engineer who was chief engineer of the Panama Canal and who had attended CCNY as an undergraduate student. George Washington Goethals ( June 29, 1858 - January 21, 1928) was a United States Army officer and Civil engineer The Panama Canal is a man-made Canal in Panama which joins the Goethals Hall housed the School of Technology (engineering) adjoining The Mechanical Arts Building, Compton Hall.
There are six hundred grotesques on the original Gothic buildings made to represent the practical and the fine arts. When used in conversation grotesque commonly means strange fantastic ugly or bizarre and thus is often used to describe weird shapes and distorted forms such as Halloween  
The North Campus Quadrangle contains four great arches on the main avenues entering and exiting the campus:
In the early 1900s, after the Gothic campus had been built, CCNY President John H. Finley had a dream of a stadium, later to be realized as Lewisohn Stadium, since he knew the need for adequate facilities for the college's athletic teams. New York City did not give money, but it donated two blocks south of the College, which was open park land. He also learned that businessman and philanthropist Adolph Lewisohn wanted to finance the project. Adolph Lewisohn (May 27 1849 - August 17 1938 was a German - Jewish immigrant born in Hamburg who became a New York City investment banker They spoke about it for the first time in 1912. Lewisohn agreed to donate $75,000 for the Stadium. Finley commissioned the architect, Arnold W. Brunner, to do the project, which was built on Finley's memories of a small rock-hewn theatre in the Trastevere section of Rome, Italy. 
Lewisohn stadium was built as a 6,000-seat stadium, with thousands more seats available on the infield during concerts, and was dedicated on May 29, 1915, two years after Dr. Finley had left his post at the College and Dr. Sidney Edward Mezes had become CCNY's fourth president. Sidney Edward Mezes ( September 23[[ 863]] – September 10[[ 931]] was an American philosopher The stadium's dedication was enhanced by a performance of "The Trojan Women", produced by Granville Barker and Lillian McCarthy. The Trojan Women (in Τρωάδες Trōades) is a Tragedy by the Greek Playwright Euripides. College graduation services were held in Lewisohn for many years.
A separate library building was not in the original plan for the 1906 campus, so in 1937, a free-standing library was built. The Bowker/Alumni Library stood at the present site of the Steinman Engineering building until 1957. 
The Hebrew Orphan Asylum was erected in 1884 on Amsterdam Avenue between 136th and 138th Street, and was designed by William H. The Hebrew Orphan Asylum of New York was a Jewish Orphanage in New York City. Tenth Avenue / Amsterdam Avenue is a north-south thoroughfare on the West Side of Manhattan in New York City. Hume . It was already there when City College moved to upper Manhattan. When it closed in the 1940s, the building was used by City College to house members of the U. S. Armed Forces assigned to the Army Specialized Training Program (ASTP). The Army Specialized Training Program was a military training program instituted by the U From 1946 to 1955, it was used as a dormitory, library, and classroom space for the college. It was called "Army Hall" until it was demolished in 1955 and 1956.   
In 1946, on the North Campus, CCNY purchased a former orphanage administered by the Episcopal Church and named it Klapper Hall, for Paul Klapper (Class of 1904) Professor and the Dean of School of Education and who was later the first president of Queens College/CUNY (1937-1952). Klapper Hall was red brick in Georgian style and it served until 1983 as home of the School of Education. 
In 1953, CCNY bought the campus of the Manhattanville College of the Sacred Heart (which, on a 1913 map, was shown as The Convent of the Sacred Heart), which added a south section to the campus. Manhattanville College is a private Coeducational Liberal arts college located in Purchase, New York, USA. This expanded the campus to include many of the buildings in the area between 140th Street to 130th Street, from St. Nicholas Terrace in the east to Amsterdam Avenue in the west. Tenth Avenue / Amsterdam Avenue is a north-south thoroughfare on the West Side of Manhattan in New York City.
Former buildings of the Manhattanville College campus to be used by CCNY were re-named for City College's purposes: Stieglitz Hall, Downer Hall, Wagner Hall, the prominent Finley Student Center which contained the very active Buttenweiser Lounge, Eisner Hall, Park Gym, Mott Hall, and others.
Generally, the South Campus of CCNY, as a result of this expansion, contained the liberal arts classes and departments of the college. The North Campus, also as a result of this expansion, generally housed classes and departments for the sciences and engineering, as well as Klapper Hall (School of Education), and the Administration Building.
In 1957, a new library building was erected in the middle of the campus, near 135th Street on the South Campus, and named Cohen Library, after Morris Raphael Cohen, an alumnus (Class of 1900) and celebrated professor of the college from 1912 to 1938. Morris Raphael Cohen ( July 25, 1880 – January 28, 1947) was a Jewish Philosopher, Lawyer and Legal scholar The library was moved some decades later to be inside the North Academic Center building on the North Campus.
Steinman Hall, which houses the School of Engineering, was erected in 1962 on the north end of the campus, on the site of the Bowker Library and the Drill Hall to replace the facilities in Compton Hall and Goethals Hall, and was named for David Barnard Steinman (CCNY Class of 1906), a well known civil engineer and bridge designer. You may also be looking for David Steinman 
Also, in 1963, the Administration Building was erected and put in use on the North Campus across from Wingate Hall. It houses the college administration offices, including the President's and Provost's, and the Registrar's Office. It was originally intended as a warehouse also, housing the huge number of records and transcripts of students since 1847 when the college opened.  . In early 2007, the Administration Building was formally named The Howard E. Wille Administration Building, in honor of Howard E. Wille, class of 1955, a distinguished alumnus and philanthropist. 
In 1971, the Marshak Science Building was built and opened, the former place of the open space known as Jasper Oval and previously an open football field  . The building was named after a past president of CCNY in the 1970s (1970-1979), Robert Marshak, who was a renowned physicist. Robert Eugene Marshak ( October 11, 1916 – December 23, 1992) was an American Physicist dedicated to learning research and education The Marshak building houses all science and labs, and also houses and adjoins the Mahoney Gymnasium and athletic facilities including a swimming pool and tennis courts. 
In the 1970s, the construction of the massive North Academic Center (NAC) was begun, in the place of Lewisohn Stadium and Klapper Hall (which housed the School of Education from 1946 to 1983). It was completed in 1984 and houses thousands of classrooms, cafeterias, the Cohen Library, student lounges and centers, and the like, and became the main building for holding classes on the North Campus for the liberal arts and some sciences. Designed by architect John Carl Warnecke, the building has received criticism for its lack of design, and lack of scale in comparison to the surrounding neighborhood. John Carl Warnecke (born 1919 is an architect based in San Francisco California who designed numerous monuments in the International style, among others
At about this same time, many of the old buildings of the South Campus  were demolished, some which had been there since the Academy of The Sacred Heart days. The buildings remaining after this on the South Campus at this time were Cohen Library (later moved into the North Academic Center), Park Gym (now a Structural Biology Research Center ), Eisner Hall (built in 1941 by Manhattanville College of the Sacred Heart as a library, later remodeled and housed CCNY's Art Department and named for the Chairman of the Board of Higher Education in the 1930s) , the Schiff House (former President's residence, now a childcare center), Mott Hall (formerly the English Department, now a New York City Department of Education primary school ).
Some of the buildings which were demolished at that time were Finley Hall (housed The Finley Student Center, student activities center, originally built in 1888-1890 as Manhattanville Academy's main building, and purchased in 1953 by City College) , Wagner Hall (housed various social science and liberal arts departments and classes, originally built as a dormitory for Manhattanville Academy, and was named in honor of Robert F. Wagner Sr. , member of the Class of 1898, who represented New York State for 23 years in the United States Senate) , Stieglitz Hall, and Downer Hall, amongst others.
New buildings were erected on the South Campus, including Aaron Davis Hall in 1981, and the Herman Goldman sports field in 1993. In August 2006, for the first time ever in its history, the college completed the construction of a 600-bed dormitory, called "The Towers", and opened it for use.  There are plans to rename The Towers after a distinguished alumnus or donor, who has not yet been named.
Within the NAC, a student lounge space was created outside the campus bookstore, and murals celebrating the history of the campus were painted on the doors of the Undergraduate Student Government. A students' union, student government, student senate, students' association, or guild of students is a Student Organization Founded in 1869, it claims to be the oldest continuously operating student government organization in the country. Across Convent Avenue, the first floor of the Administration Building was given a postmodern renovation for use as the admissions and registrar office. Postmodernism literally means 'after the modernist movement' While " Modern " itself refers to something "related to the present" the movement of modernism
The former Cohen Library is to be used as the new home for the School of Architecture, with the renovation headed by architect Rafael Viñoly. Rafael Viñoly (b 1944) is an Uruguayan-born Architect living in the United States Near the 133rd Street gate, a new science building is under construction in order to relieve pressure from Marshak Hall, which had a beam collapse in 2005. Part of this project is the elimination of the Herman Goldman sports field, a controversial move which will dramatically alter the South Campus.
The New York Landmarks Preservation Commission made the North Campus Quadrangle buildings and the College Gates official landmarks, both in 1981. The buildings in the Quadrangle were put on the State and National Register of Historic Places in 1984. In the summer of 2006, the historic gates on Convent Avenue were restored.
The campus is served by the 137th Street-City College and 135th Street subway stations. The express stops at 125th and 145th are both accessible by shuttle buses.
The design of the three-faced college seal took its roots in the 19th century when Professor Charles Anthon was inspired by views of Janus, the Roman god of beginnings, whose two faces connect the past and the future. In Roman mythology, Janus (or Ianus was the god of Gates Doors doorways beginnings and endings He broadened this image of Janus in three faces to show the student, and consequently, knowledge, developing from childhood through youth into maturity. It was redesigned again in 1947 by Professor Albert D'Andrea for the college's Centennial Medal.
In 2003, the college decided to create a logo distinct from its seal, with the stylized text "the City College of New York. " 
City College was recently ranked in a study  by Shanghai Jiao Tong University as 88-118 nationally and 201-300 internationally. Shanghai Jiao Tong University ( abbreviated Jiao Da (交大 or SJTU) located in Shanghai, is one of the oldest and most influential universities It should be noted however that the study focuses heavily on institutions with strong hard science backgrounds, as the rating is based on a number of factors including articles published in scientific journals and Nobel laureates.