Chicago-Kent College of Law, the law school of the Illinois Institute of Technology, is nationally recognized for the scholarship and accomplishments of its faculty and student body. Illinois Institute of Technology (IIT is a private PhD-granting university located in the greater Chicago Illinois area with programs in Engineering, Science, It is the second oldest law school in the state of Illinois. The State of Illinois ( roughly ill-i-NOY is a state of the United States of America, the 21st to be admitted to the Union. Many of the applications of technology in the law school classroom today were pioneered at Chicago-Kent. It is also the only law school in Chicago with a 3 year legal writing program.
Chicago-Kent is located within walking distance of the Sears Tower, Union Station and some of the largest law firms in the country, as well as important governmental bodies. The Sears Tower, a Skyscraper in Chicago, Illinois, has been the tallest building in North America since 1973 The School currently occupies the building at 565 W. Adams St. , across the street from the newly constructed USG building. The building offers wireless network access throughout the building, along with electrical plugs in classrooms and libraries.
Kent also provides the city of Chicago with the second highest group of students who work in the city of Chicago after graduation. Students from the Chicago-Kent College of Law come from 49 states, and around the world.
Chicago-Kent teaches a standard first year law school curriculum with courses in Torts, Contracts, Criminal Law, Property and Civil Procedure. The school places a heavy emphasis on Legal Research and Writing. Kent's writing curriculum has been used as a model for other programs. The Illinois bar exam first time pass rate is 88. 5%. Professors at Chicago-kent were responsible for founding and developing the curriculum of Bar Bri, the largest and most popular bar exam review preparation course in the country.
Rankings and honors
The 2007 edition of U. S. News & World Report's ranked Chicago-Kent College of Law:
- 60th in the country overall (tie)
- 9th Intellectual Property Programs
- 10th in the country in Legal Writing (tie)
Recent Leiter’s Law School Rankings placed the law school:
- 37th Based on Faculty Quality, 2003-04 (tie)
- 30th Top 50 Faculties: Per Capita Productivity of Books and Articles, 2000-02
Vault's 2007 Top 25 Most Underrated Law Schools ranked the law school:
- 4th Most Underrated Law School in the U. S.
The Chicago-Kent Trial Advocacy Team won the 32nd and 33rd annual National Trial Competition Championships.
Chicago-Kent maintains the Midwest's highest ranking Environmental & Energy Law program.
- Juris Doctor (J.D.) Program
- J.D. Certificates and Concentrations:
- Graduate L.L.M. Programs
- Financial Service Law
- International and Comparative Law
- International Intellectual Property Law
- Joint Degree Programs
- J. Juris Doctor (abbreviated JD or JD, from the Latin, Teacher of Law) is a first professional graduate degree and Professional Juris Doctor (abbreviated JD or JD, from the Latin, Teacher of Law) is a first professional graduate degree and Professional Juris Doctor (abbreviated JD or JD, from the Latin, Teacher of Law) is a first professional graduate degree and Professional Intellectual property ( IP) is a legal field that refers to creations of the mind such as musical literary and artistic works inventions and symbols names Comparative law is the study of differences and similarities between the Law of different countries In law a lawsuit is a civil action brought before a Court in which the party commencing the action the Plaintiff, seeks a legal or equitable remedy Alternative dispute resolution (ADR includes Dispute resolution processes and techniques that fall outside of the government judicial process The Master of Laws is an advanced Academic degree, or research degree and is commonly abbreviated LL D. /L. L. M in Taxation
- J. D. /L. L. M in Financial Service Law
- J. D. /M. B. A. (IIT Stuart School of Business)
- J. The IIT Stuart School of Business (often just Stuart) is an academic unit of the Illinois Institute of Technology, a private Ph D. /M. S. in Financial Markets (IIT Stuart School of Business)
- J. The IIT Stuart School of Business (often just Stuart) is an academic unit of the Illinois Institute of Technology, a private Ph D. /M. P. A (Master of Public Administration)
- J. D. /M. P. H. (Master of Public Health, with UIC)
- Bachelor's/J. D (with UIC)
- The school is founded as the Chicago College of Law in 1888.
- Chicago College of Law and the Kent College of Law merge to form the Chicago-Kent College of Law in 1900.
- The school received its American Bar Association accreditation in 1936. The American Bar Association ( ABA) founded August 21 1878 is a voluntary Bar association of Lawyers and law students which is not specific
- Chicago-Kent and the Illinois Institute of Technology merged in 1969. Illinois Institute of Technology (IIT is a private PhD-granting university located in the greater Chicago Illinois area with programs in Engineering, Science,
- Landmark three year legal writing program begins in 1978. Legal writing is a type of Technical writing used by Legislators Lawyers Judges and others in Law to express legal analysis and
- The current dean of the law school is Harold Krent (2001-present).
- Frank J. Corr, Acting mayor of Chicago, March 15, 1933 – April 8, 1933
- William L. Dawson (attended), U. Frank J Corr ( Brooklyn, New York January 12, 1877 - Chicago, Illinois June 3, 1934; buried William Levi Dawson ( April 26 1886 - November 9 1970) was an African American politician and lawyer who was involved in local politics S. Congressman
- Harris W. Fawell, U. Harris W Fawell (born March 25, 1929, in West Chicago Illinois) was a Republican member of the Illinois Senate from 1963 to S. Congressman
- Ida Platt, 1894. First black woman admitted to the Illinois bar, second black woman admitted to bar in the United States.
- Abraham Lincoln Marovitz, 1925. Appointed to Federal Court for the Northern District of Illinois by President John F. Kennedy, 1963. John Fitzgerald "Jack" Kennedy (May 29 1917&ndashNovember 22 1963 often referred to by his initials JFK, was the thirty-fifth President of
- Richard B. Ogilvie, 1949. Richard Buell Ogilvie ( February 22, 1923 – May 10, 1988) was an American Political figure. Illinois Governor, 1969-1973.
- Ilana Kara Diamond Rovner, 1966. Ilana Kara Diamond Rovner (born in 1938 in Riga, Latvia) is a Judge on the United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit. First woman appointed to the US Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit, by President Bush, 1992.
- Peter Roskam, 1989. Peter James Roskam (born September 13 1961 in Hinsdale Illinois) is a Freshman Republican member of the United States House of Representatives Republican U. S. Representative for Illinois's 6th Congressional District.
- Anne Burke, Illinois Supreme Court Justice
- Margaret O'Mara Frossard, Illinois Appellate Judge of 1st District
- Michael J. Gallagher, Illinois Appellate Judge of 1st District
- Robert J. Gorman, attorney
- Thomas E. Robert James Gorman ( April 22, 1915 – February 17, 2007) was a Chicago Attorney who served at Normandy and was in the Jeep that General Callum, Illinois Appellate Judge of 2nd District
- Randy Hultgren, member of the Illinois Senate
- Arthur Wilhelmi, member of the Illinois Senate
- Barbara Gilleran Johnson, Illinois Appellate Judge of 2nd District
- Thomas P. Randall M "Randy" Hultgren is a Republican member of the Illinois Senate, representing the 48th district since 2007 The Illinois Senate is the upper chamber of the Illinois General Assembly, the Legislative branch of the government of the State of Arthur Wilhelmi is a Democratic member of the Illinois Senate, representing the 43rd District since he was appointed in 2005. The Illinois Senate is the upper chamber of the Illinois General Assembly, the Legislative branch of the government of the State of Appleton, Illinois Appellate Judge of 4th District
- Cameron Davis, Executive Director of Lake Michigan Federation
- Michael Partee, Assistant Attorney General with the Environmental Enforcement Division of Illinois Attorney General Office
- R. Seth Shippee, Assistant State Attorney with the Environmental & Energy Division of the Cook County State's Attorney Office
- Amy Atoniolli, Assistant Attorney of Illinois Pollution Control Board
- Michael K. Demetrio, Partner at Corboy & Demetrio
- Lauretta Higgins Wolfson, General Counsel of Cook County State's Attorney Office & General Counsel of Illinois Department of Human services, and now appointed as Judge in the Circuit Court of Cook County
- Frances Kao, Partner at Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom
- Robert J. Schillerstrom, DuPage County Board Chairman
- Bruce Wolf, sports journalist
- Chicago-Kent Law Review
- Employee Rights and Employment Policy Journal
- Illinois Public Employee Relations Report
- Journal of Intellectual Property
- Seventh Circuit Review
- The Journal of International and Comparative Law
Notes Bruce Wolf is a veteran Chicago sports anchor who has been on both TV and radio for more than 20 years
© 2009 citizendia.org; parts available under the terms of GNU Free Documentation License, from http://en.wikipedia.org
network: | |