The Asquith family were originally a middle class family from West Yorkshire, and members of the Congregational church. The first prominent member of the family was H.H. Asquith, the British Prime Minister from 1908 to 1915. Herbert Henry Asquith 1st Earl of Oxford and Asquith, KG, PC ( 12 September 1852 &ndash 15 February 1928) served Year 1908 ( MCMVIII) was a Leap year starting on Wednesday (link will display the full calendar of the Gregorian calendar (or a Leap year Year 1915 ( MCMXV) was a Common year starting on Friday (link will display the full calendar of the Gregorian calendar (or a Common year In 1925, Asquith was raised to the House of Lords with the earldom of Oxford and Asquith. The House of Lords is the second house of the Parliament of the United Kingdom and is also commonly referred to as "the Lords" Earl of Oxford and Asquith is a title in the Peerage of the United Kingdom. His grandson Julian is the present 2nd Earl. Julian Edward George Asquith 2nd Earl of Oxford and Asquith KCMG (born 22 April 1916) is the grandson of Herbert Henry Asquith 1st Earl of Oxford
All of H. H. Asquith's six children achieved some prominence in national affairs. By his first wife Helen Kelsall Melland (d. 1891), he had three sons and one daughter. Year 1891 ( MDCCCXCI) was a Common year starting on Thursday (link will display the full calendar of the Gregorian calendar (or a Common The eldest son Raymond, a brilliant barrister, was killed in action 1916; all of the Prime Minister's sons having volunteered for the Front early in the War. Raymond Asquith ( November 6, 1878 – September 15, 1916) was an English Barrister and eldest son and heir of British The second son Herbert is better known for his wife Cynthia; the third son Arthur became a Brigadier; the fourth son Cyril (1890-1954) became a Law Lord. Lady Cynthia Mary Evelyn Asquith ( 1887 - March 31, 1960) was an English writer now known for her Ghost stories and diaries Cyril Asquith Baron Asquith of Bishopstone ( 5 February 1890 &ndash 24 August 1954) was an English Barrister, Judge The daughter Violet (1887-1969) became a Liberal politician and a Life Peeress in her own right in 1964. Helen Violet Bonham Carter Baroness Asquith of Yarnbury DBE ( April 15 1887 – February 19 1969) was a British
By his second wife the former Margot Tennant, Asquith had two more children. Margot Asquith Countess of Oxford & Asquith, born Emma Alice Margaret Tennant ( February 2, 1864 &ndash July 28, 1945) was an His daughter Elizabeth (1897-1945) married a Romanian prince and became Princess Antoine Bibesco; his youngest son Anthony (1902-1968) became a well-known film director. Elizabeth (Asquith Bibesco ( February 26, 1897 - April 7, 1945) was an English Writer, active between 1921 - 1940 The Honourable Anthony Asquith ( November 9, 1902 – February 20, 1968) was a respected English Film director.
Living descendants are omitted, unless they are notable and/or have a separate Wikipedia entry.
- H.H. Asquith married 1stly Helen Kelsall Melland (d. Herbert Henry Asquith 1st Earl of Oxford and Asquith, KG, PC ( 12 September 1852 &ndash 15 February 1928) served 1891), issue 4 sons and 1 daughter; married 2ndly 1894 Margot Tennant, surviving issue 1 son and 1 daughter. Year 1891 ( MDCCCXCI) was a Common year starting on Thursday (link will display the full calendar of the Gregorian calendar (or a Common Margot Asquith Countess of Oxford & Asquith, born Emma Alice Margaret Tennant ( February 2, 1864 &ndash July 28, 1945) was an
- Raymond Asquith (killed in action 1916), barrister and poet; married 1907 Katherine Horner; 1 son and 2 daughters
- Julian Asquith, 2nd Earl of Oxford and Asquith (b. Raymond Asquith ( November 6, 1878 – September 15, 1916) was an English Barrister and eldest son and heir of British Julian Edward George Asquith 2nd Earl of Oxford and Asquith KCMG (born 22 April 1916) is the grandson of Herbert Henry Asquith 1st Earl of Oxford 1916) married Anne Palairet (d. 1998); issue 2 sons and 3 daughters
- Raymond Asquith, Viscount Asquith (b. Raymond Benedict Bartholomew Michael Asquith Viscount Asquith OBE (born 24 August 1952) is a former English Diplomat and the heir 1952), British diplomat and businessman, heir apparent to the earldom; married Mary Clare Pollen; issue 1 son and 4 daughters
- The Honourable Mark Julian Asquith (b. An heir apparent is an Heir who (short of a fundamental change in the situation cannot be displaced from inheriting the term is used in contrast to Heir presumptive The Honourable Mark Julian Asquith (b 13 May 1979, Frome, Somerset) is the son and heir of Raymond Asquith Viscount Asquith 1979)
- The Honourable Dominic Asquith, British diplomat (b. Dominic Anthony Gerard Asquith, CMG, (b 7 February 1957 has been a British diplomat since 1983 1957), British Ambassador to Iraq from 2006; married to Louise Cotton, and has issue 2 sons and 2 daughters.
- Lady Annunziata Asquith, former model for Burberry; unmarried. Burberry ( is a British luxury fashion house manufacturing Clothing and fashion accessories.
- Lady Katherine Page; married 1stly (divorced) Adam Ridley (himself grandson of Violet Bonham Carter, Baroness Asquith of Yarnbury; married 2ndly J. Helen Violet Bonham Carter Baroness Asquith of Yarnbury DBE ( April 15 1887 – February 19 1969) was a British C. Page.
- Lady Clare Asquith, unmarried.
- Lady Helen Asquith (1908-2000) who died unmarried
- Lady Perdita Asquith (1910-1996) who married the 4th Baron Hylton (d 1967) and had issue two sons (including the present incumbent) and one daughter
- The Honourable Herbert Asquith (1881-1947); married to Lady Cynthia Charteris, writer, a daughter of the Earl of Wemyss and March; and had issue 3 sons
- John Michael Asquith (9 May 1911-May 1937)
- Michael Henry Asquith (25 Jul 1914-19 Jan 2004); twice married and had issue 2 sons and 1 daughter. William George Hervey Jolliffe 4th Baron Hylton ( 2 December 1898 &ndash 14 November 1967) was a British peer and soldier Herbert Asquith (1881-1947 was the second son of Herbert Henry Asquith, British Prime Minister &mdash with whom he is frequently confused &mdash and younger brother Lady Cynthia Mary Evelyn Asquith ( 1887 - March 31, 1960) was an English writer now known for her Ghost stories and diaries Earl of Wemyss (pronounced "Weemz" and Earl of March are two titles in the Peerage of Scotland, created in 1633 and 1697 respectively that have been held
- Simon Roland Anthony Asquith (20 Aug 1919-18 Dec 1973); m. 1 Oct 1942 Vivien Lawrence Jones; they had issue 2 sons and 1 daughter.
- Brigadier The Honourable Arthur Melland Asquith (1883–1939); married to the Honourable Betty Manners, a daughter of Lord Manners of Foston, and had issue. His descendants live at Clovelly Court, North Devon. Among them are:
- (April) Mary Asquith(1919-decd), later The Hon. Mrs Keith Rous, later Mary, Countess of Stradbroke although did not use the name; md 1943 Hon (William) Keith Rous, later briefly 5th Earl of Stradbroke (]-1983) as his 2nd wife, and had issue 1 son and 3 daus (1 dau decd). Year 1943 ( MCMXLIII) was a Common year starting on Friday (the link will display full 1943 calendar of the Gregorian calendar. Earl of Stradbroke, in the County of Suffolk, is a title in the Peerage of the United Kingdom. Year 1983 ( MCMLXXXIII) was a Common year starting on Saturday (link displays the 1983 Gregorian calendar) The son now owns Clovelly Court.
- Jean Constance Asquith (b. 1922) who married Lawrence Leif Toynbee, artist, youngest son of Arnold Toynbee (d. Year 1922 ( MCMXXII) was a Common year starting on Sunday of the Gregorian calendar. This page is about the economic historian Arnold Toynbee for the universal historian Arnold Joseph Toynbee see Arnold J 1975) by his former wife Rosalind, eldest daughter of Gilbert Murray classicist by his wife Lady Mary Howard, eldest daughter of George Howard, 9th Earl of Carlisle and his wife Hon. Rosalind Stanley (an aunt of philosopher Bertrand Russell). Year 1975 ( MCMLXXV) was a Common year starting on Wednesday (link will display full calendar of the Gregorian calendar. George Gilbert Aimé Murray ( January 2, 1866 &ndash May 20 1957) was a British classical scholar and Public intellectual George James Howard 9th Earl of Carlisle ( London, 12 August[[ 843]]- Hindhead, Brackland 16 April[[ 911]] was an English aristocrat Rosalind Frances Howard Countess of Carlisle ( 20 February 1845 &ndash 12 August 1921) sometimes known as The Radical Countess Bertrand Arthur William Russell 3rd Earl Russell, OM, FRS (18 May 1872 – 2 February 1970 was a British Philosopher, Historian They had issue.
- Susan Penelope Asquith, who married 1946 Evelyn Basil Boothby, of the Boothby Baronets, and had issue. There have been two Baronetcies created for persons with the surname Boothby, both in the Baronetage of England. Their eldest son (John) Joseph Boothby married Isabel Rose Chancellor, a granddaughter of Christopher Chancellor and an elder sister of actress Anna Chancellor; their daughter Emily married writer Piers Paul Read. Sir Christopher (Robert John Chancellor ( 29 March 1904 &ndash 9 September 1989) a British journalist and administrator was general manager Anna Chancellor (born 27 April 1965) is a British actress Family Chancellor was born in Richmond Surrey, England Piers Paul Read (born March 7 1941) is a British novelist and non-fiction Writer and Author.
- Cyril Asquith, Baron Asquith of Bishopstone (1890–1954); married 1918 Anne Stephanie Pollock (1896-1964), of the Pollock Baronets descended from a former Tory Attorney-General; they had issue 2 sons and 2 daughters. Cyril Asquith Baron Asquith of Bishopstone ( 5 February 1890 &ndash 24 August 1954) was an English Barrister, Judge There have been five Baronetcies created for people with the surname Pollock, one in the Baronetage of Nova Scotia and four in the Baronetage of the United Kingdom Sir Frederick Pollock 1st Baronet PC ( 23 September 1783 &ndash 28 August 1870) was a British lawyer and Tory
- The Honourable Luke Asquith(b. 1919), whose daughter Anne (b. 1965) is married since 1989 to Hon. Year 1989 ( MCMLXXXIX) was a Common year starting on Sunday (link displays 1989 Gregorian calendar) Roderick Cavendish (b. 1959), son and heir of Frederick Caryll Philip Cavendish, 7th Baron Waterpark and has issue two sons. The year 1959 ( MCMLIX) was a Common year starting on Thursday (link will display full calendar of the Gregorian calendar. Baron Waterpark is a title in the Peerage of Ireland. It was created in 1792 for Lady Sarah Cavendish, in honour of her husband Sir Henry Cavendish 2nd Baronet
- The Honourable Paul Asquith (b. 1927) married 1953 (div 1963) as her first husband Helena Mary Bridgeman (b. 1932) and has issue two children. He married 1963 Caroline Anne Carew Pole and had further issue, two children. All four children are married with issue.
- The Honourable Jane Asquith (b. 1922) 
- The Honourable (Frances) Rose Asquith (b. 1925) md Sir John Frederick Eustace Stephenson, Judge (d. 1998), son of Sir Guy Stephenson, and had issue. 
- Lady Violet Asquith, later Bonham Carter (1887-1969), who became Baroness Asquith of Yarnbury in 1964; she married 1916 Sir Maurice Bonham Carter (1880-1960), her father's private secretary, and had issue 2 sons and 2 daughters
- Mark Bonham Carter, himself a Life Peer. Helen Violet Bonham Carter Baroness Asquith of Yarnbury DBE ( April 15 1887 – February 19 1969) was a British Sir Maurice Bonham Carter KCB KCVO ( 11 October 1880 - 7 June 1960) was an English Liberal politician Mark Raymond Bonham Carter Baron Bonham-Carter ( 11 February 1922 &ndash 4 September 1994) was a British Publisher and Politician Among his descendants are his daughter, another Life Peeress (in the third generation)
- Raymond Bonham Carter (19 June 1929 – 17 January 2004) married Elena Propper de Callejon; had issue 2 sons and 1 daughter
- Edward Bonham Carter (b. Jane Bonham Carter Baroness Bonham-Carter of Yarnbury (born 20 October 1957) is a British Liberal Democrat politician. Raymond Bonham Carter ( 19 June 1929 &ndash 17 January 2004) was a leading British Banker, and a member of a distinguished British Edward Bonham Carter (b 1960/61 is a leading British Merchant banker. 1960/1), banker, married with issue
- Thomas Bonham Carter'
- Helena Bonham Carter (b. Helena Bonham Carter (born 26 May 1966 is an Oscar and Golden Globe -nominated English actress. 1966), actress; who has issue
- Elizabeth Asquith(1897 - 1945) md Prince Antoine Bibesco; issue 1 daughter, Priscilla (1920 - 2004)
- 'Priscilla Bibesco, later Padev, later Hodgson, no issue
- Anthony Asquith, filmmaker
Justin Asquith- prominent University of Tennessee student
- ^ According to her obituaries, she preferred to be known as Mrs Keith Rous, by which she had lived all his married life. Elizabeth (Asquith Bibesco ( February 26, 1897 - April 7, 1945) was an English Writer, active between 1921 - 1940 The Honourable Anthony Asquith ( November 9, 1902 – February 20, 1968) was a respected English Film director. Earl of Oxford and Asquith is a title in the Peerage of the United Kingdom. Her husband died very shortly after his childless eldest brother, so did not use the title de facto.
- ^ Descendants of Sir Frederick Pollock last updated 8 December 2001. Retrieved 28 February 2008.
- ^ Leo van der Pas. [http://worldroots.com/foundation/britain/johncavendishdesc4.htm "Descendants of Sir John Cavendish: (gen 17+18 of 20 generations)]. Retrieved 28 February 2008.
- ^ Ibid.
- ^ Ibid.
- ^ Ibid.
- ^ Frances Rose Asquith. Retrieved 28 February 2008.
© 2009 citizendia.org; parts available under the terms of GNU Free Documentation License, from http://en.wikipedia.org
network: | |