"Alea jacta est" redirects here. For the WarCry album, see Alea Jacta Est
. Alea Jacta Est ( en: " The Die Is Cast " is the third studio album by the Asturian Power metal band WarCry, released
Alea iacta est (also seen as alea jacta est) is Latin for "The dice is cast". Latin ( lingua Latīna, laˈtiːna is an Italic language, historically spoken in Latium and Ancient Rome. For other uses see either Die or Dice (disambiguation. Dice (the Plural of Die, from Old French Actually quoted by Suetonius as iacta alea est [ˈjakta ˈaːlɛa ɛst], it is what Julius Caesar is reported to have said on January 10, 49 BC as he led his army across the River Rubicon in northern Italy. Gaius Suetonius Tranquillus, commonly known as Suetonius (ca 69/75 &ndash after 130 was an equestrian and a historian during the Roman Empire. Events 49 BC - Julius Caesar crosses the Rubicon, signaling the start of civil war. Year 49 BC was a year of the pre-Julian calendar. Events By place Rome Consuls Lucius Cornelius Lentulus Crus Rubicon ( Rubicō, Italian: Rubicone) is a 29 km long River in northern Italy. Italy (Italia officially the Italian Republic, (Repubblica Italiana is located on the Italian Peninsula in Southern Europe, and on the two largest With this step, he entered Italy at the head of his army in defiance of the Roman Senate and began his long civil war against Pompey and the Optimates. The Roman Senate was a political institution in Ancient Rome. The Roman civil war of 49 BC sometimes called Caesar's Civil War, is one of the last conflicts within the Roman Republic. Gnaeus Pompeius Magnus, commonly known as Pompey /'pɑmpi/ Pompey the Great or Pompey the Triumvir ( Classical Latin abbreviation Optimates (singular optimas, The Best of Men, Italian: ottimati; also known as the priests or boni, the
Meaning and form
The phrase is still used today to mean that events have passed a point of no return, that something inevitable will happen, i. The point of no return is the point beyond which someone or some group of people must continue on their current course of action either because turning back is physically impossible e. , he cannot take back what he has done, much like the gambler who has already thrown the die. Caesar was said to have borrowed the phrase from Menander, his favorite Greek writer of comedy. Menander ( Greek:, Menandros; ca 342&ndash291 BC Greek Dramatist, the best-known representative of Athenian New Comedy, was the son The term ancient Greece refers to the period of Greek history lasting from the Greek Dark Ages ca Plutarch reports that these words were said in Greek:
Ἑλληνιστὶ πρὸς τοὺς παρόντας ἐκβοήσας, "Ἀνερρίφθω κύβος," [anerriphtho kybos] διεβίβαζε τὸν στρατόν. Lucius Mestrius Plutarchus ( Greek: Μέστριος Πλούταρχος c
He [Caesar] declared in Greek with loud voice to those who were present 'Let the die be cast' and led the army across.
– Plutarch, 'Life of Pompey, Ch. 60'
In another context, "iacta est" could be translated as "was cast", i. e. , as a "simple past. " It is generally assumed, e. g. by Shakespeare, that Caesar here meant "The die has been cast" i. William Shakespeare ( baptised e. , "The die is now cast" and not "The die was cast. "
According to Lewis and Short, the phrase used was a future active imperative, Jacta alea esto, "Let the die be cast!", or "Let the game be ventured!"
References in popular culture
- In Frankenstein by Mary Shelley, Dr. Frankenstein says "The die is cast; I have consented to return if we are not destroyed. "
- In the 1972 film Roma, at the very beginning, while crossing the Rubicon heading to Rome, the teacher screams to his students, "alea iacta est". Roma, also known as Fellini's Roma, is a 1972 semi-autobiographical poetic film depicting director Federico Fellini Rubicon ( Rubicō, Italian: Rubicone) is a 29 km long River in northern Italy. Rome ( Roma ˈroma Roma is the capital city of Italy and Lazio, and is Italy's largest and most populous city with more than 2
- In each edition of the enormously popular French comic book Asterix, once Asterix sinks the pirates' ship, the first mate says to the captain, "Alea jacta est. A comic book (often shortened to simply comic and sometimes called a comic paper or comic magazine) is a Magazine or Book of narrative The Adventures of Asterix ( French: Astérix or Astérix le Gaulois) is a series of French "
- In the television series Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, there is an episode by this very name, instead referencing the crossing of a joint Cardassian-Romulan fleet entering the Gamma Quadrant. " The Die is Cast " is an episode of Star Trek Deep Space Nine, the 21st episode of the third season Cardassians are a spacefaring race in the fictional Star Trek universe Romulans are an alien species in the Star Trek universe that are related to the Vulcans and are at war or in an uneasy truce with the United Federation of In the television series Star Trek and its spin-offs Galactic quadrant refers to an area of the Milky Way Galaxy (although it's apparently no longer called
- Alea Iacta Est is the password of Alpha Omega Theta Fraternity Inc, chosen by the fraternity's founder John Stefano in 1946. "Alea Iacta Est, The Die is Cast, Once it's Started it Can Never End. " link AlphaOmegaTheta.com
- In Election Day--Season 4, Episode 7 of The West Wing--as Will Bailey runs around wildly trying to ensure a win for his dead candidate, Horton Wilder, in the 47th congressional district of California on election day, Elsie Snuffin says to him, "The die has been cast, big brother. You're making everyone crazy. " Will responds, "There's a moment after you cast the die but before it hits the table. Breathe wrong and you'll change the way it lands. "
- The phrase is displayed on one of the opening screens to the Playstation puzzle game Devil Dice. The PlayStation (abbreviated PS, PSone, PS1, or informally as PSX) is a 32-bit fifth generation Video game console Devil Dice ( Xi, pronounced "Sai" in Japan is a Video game for the PlayStation.
- "Alea jacta est" is the subject of a classroom lecture in the 2002 film, The Emperor's Club. The Emperor's Club is a 2002 film that tells the story of a prep school teacher and his students
- In the 2003 film Battle Royale II: Requiem, "Jacta Alea Est" is the slogan for the terrorist organisation Wild Seven, led by Shuya Nanahara. abbreviated as BRII ( Bii āru tsū) is a 2003 Japanese Dystopian action-thriller film Wild Seven is a fictional Terrorist group ( Freedom fighters in their own right in the 2003 Japanese film Battle Royale II Requiem is a fictional Japanese student and one of the three main protagonists of the violent and controversial novel manga and film Battle Royale.
- In MC Solaar's 2007 song "Carpe Diem" as part of the chorus, "Le temps passe, | Alea Jacta Est | Qu'on vienne de Budapest ou de gare de l'Est | Alors Carpe Diem. MC Solaar is the Stage name of Claude M'Barali (born March 5, 1969) a Francophone hip hop and rap artist Carpe diem is a phrase from a Latin poem by Horace (See section below Alea Jacta Est ( en: " The Die Is Cast " is the third studio album by the Asturian Power metal band WarCry, released "
- Alea Jacta Est is the name of a Grade 5 ice climb near La Grave in the French Alps. It is climbed by Joe Simpson in his book The Beckoning Silence.
- In the 2006 film Pirates of the Carribbean: Dead Man's Chest, 'Bootstrap' Bill Turner told his son "The die is cast" after he bet his soul and an eternity of servitude on the Flying Dutchman. Pirates of the Caribbean Dead Man's Chest is a 2006 Adventure film of the ''Pirates of the Caribbean'' series, the sequel to the 2003 The Flying Dutchman, according to Folklore, is a Ghost ship that can never go home and is doomed to sail the oceans forever
- ^ Online Dictionary: alea, Lewis and Short at the Perseus Project. Aleatory means "pertaining to luck" and derives from the Latin word alea, the rolling of Dice. The point of no return is the point beyond which someone or some group of people must continue on their current course of action either because turning back is physically impossible See bottom of section I.
© 2009 citizendia.org; parts available under the terms of GNU Free Documentation License, from http://en.wikipedia.org
network: | |