Adobe Acrobat Professional 8. 0 running on Windows XP.
|Developed by||Adobe Systems|
|Latest release||9. A software developer is a person or organization concerned with facets of the software development process wider than design and coding a somewhat broader scope of Adobe Systems Incorporated (pronounced a-DOE-bee əˈdoʊbiː ( is an American Computer software company headquartered in San Jose California A software release is the distribution whether public or private of an initial or new and upgraded version of a Computer software product 0. 0|
|Genre||PDF viewer and writer|
Adobe Acrobat is a family of computer programs developed by Adobe Systems, designed to view, create, manipulate and manage files in Adobe's Portable Document Format (PDF). An operating system (commonly abbreviated OS and O/S) is the software component of a Computer system that is responsible for the management and coordination In computing cross-platform (also known as multi-platform) is a term used to refer to Computer software or computing methods and concepts that are implemented Computer software can be organized into categories based on common function type or field of use A software license (or software licence in commonwealth usage is a Legal instrument governing the usage or redistribution of copyright protected software A website (alternatively web site or Web site, a back-construction from the Proper noun World Wide Web) is a collection of Web pages Adobe Systems Incorporated (pronounced a-DOE-bee əˈdoʊbiː ( is an American Computer software company headquartered in San Jose California Some software in the family is commercial, and some is freeware. Freeware is computer Software that is available for use at no cost or for an optional fee Adobe Reader (formerly Acrobat Reader) is available as a no-charge download from Adobe's web site, and allows the viewing and printing of PDF files.  Acrobat and Reader are widely used as a way to present information with a fixed layout similar to a paper publication.
Since the early 1990s, the Acrobat product had several competitors who each used their own document formats, such as:
By the late 1990s PDF had become the de facto standard, and the others had become largely historical footnotes. The 1990s collectively refers to the years between and including 1990 and 1999 In Computing, Envoy was a portable Document File format marketed by WordPerfect Corporation created as a competitor for Acrobat Pro WordPerfect is a proprietary Word processing application At the height of its popularity in the late 1980s and early 1990s it was the De facto Microsoft Reader is a Microsoft program for reading of E-books Microsoft Reader is available for download from Microsoft as a free program Microsoft Corporation is an American multinational Computer technology Corporation, which rose to dominate the Home computer Founded in 1981 Interleaf was a company that produced a technical publishing software product with the same name This in turn has led to many more competitors for Adobe Acrobat, both free and commercial.
Today, there are a host of third-party programs that create or manipulate PDF, such as Ghostscript, Foxit, and Nitro PDF. Ghostscript is a suite of Software based on an interpreter for Adobe Systems ' PostScript and Portable Document Format (PDF Page description Foxit Reader is a multilingual PDF reader The basic reader can be downloaded for free while advanced plugins are available for a cost Nitro PDF is commercial Software for creating and editing portable document format (PDF files Adobe also allows Acrobat plug-ins to be developed by third parties, which can add extra functions within the Acrobat program.
Adobe has changed the names of the products in the Acrobat family regularly, also splitting products up, joining them together, or discontinuing members. This causes much confusion, not only about what product to obtain, but even about what product people have. Between version 3 and 5, Standard and Professional versions were one product simply called Adobe Acrobat.
As of June 2008, the current main members of the Adobe Acrobat family are
Adobe Reader 8 Icon
- Adobe Acrobat 9 Professional
- Adobe Acrobat 9 Reader
- Adobe Reader 8 (previously Adobe Acrobat Reader)
- Adobe Acrobat 8 Standard
- Adobe Acrobat 8 Professional
- Adobe Acrobat 8 Elements (withdrawn before release)
- Adobe Acrobat 3D Version 8
- A growing collection of server and specialist products
Adobe has never created a product called either Adobe Writer or Acrobat Writer, although these names seem a natural opposite to the Reader product. Adding more confusion, Acrobat used to include a printer driver called PDFWriter, which is unrelated. A virtual printer is a piece of computer software whose User interface and API resemble that of a Printer driver, but which is not connected
Acrobat Reader 1. 0 for Macintosh was originally released 15 June 1993, later for DOS and Windows 3. 1. This was not available in single copies and was not initially free. After a while the IRS purchased a right to distribute Reader 1. The 0, effectively making it seem free to those who obtained it that way:
- PDF version 1. 0 supported.
- Acrobat Exchange 1. 0 (included PDFWriter printer driver and Acrobat Exchange application).
- Acrobat Distiller 1. 0. Created a PDF from PostScript (no printer driver at this stage).
Acrobat Reader 2. 0 for Windows and Macintosh was first released September 1994. It is now available free of charge:
- PDF version 1. 1 (and prior) supported.
- Acrobat Exchange 2. 0, package as 1. 0.
- Acrobat Professional 2. 0, which included the contents of Acrobat Exchange, plus Distiller.
- There were 2. 1 updates.
- Acrobat Catalog was introduced, using Verity, Inc. technology to create searchable indexes to PDF files. Searching required a special version of Acrobat Reader or Acrobat Exchange.
Acrobat Reader 3. 0 was released 1996. The first to display PDF files in-browser, and the first to support form filling:
- PDF version 1. 2 (and prior) supported.
- A free Reader to allow searching was made available, but was not part of the default download.
- Acrobat 3. 0 – replaced Acrobat Professional 2. 1. Included Acrobat Catalog, and a Distiller printer driver.
- First release with support for Windows 95 and later. Last release with support for Windows 3. 1.
Acrobat Reader 4. 0 was released April 1999:
- PDF version 1. 3 (and prior) supported. Added support for PKI and digital signatures via plug-ins.
- Acrobat 4. 0.
- Updates to 4. 05.
- Introduced Distiller Server 4. 0, identical to the regular Distiller but with a multi-user license (Windows, Linux, Solaris).
- Acrobat Business Tools 4. 0 – a limited version of Acrobat.
Acrobat Reader 5. 0 was released May 2001:
- PDF version 1. 4 (and prior) supported.
- Acrobat 5. 0. PDFWriter removed from Macintosh application
- Updates to 5. 0. 5. Acrobat 5. 0. 5 was the first to be able to run native in Mac OS X, but also ran in Mac OS 9.
- Distiller Server 5. 0.
- Acrobat Approval 5. 0 – a limited version of Acrobat, mainly sold to people who wanted to digitally sign or save fill in forms.
- Acrobat Reader 5. 1 – supported the Adobe LiveCycle Reader Extensions (e. g. forms saving) (which was then under a different name).
Adobe Reader 6. 0 was released April 2003. No Linux or Unix versions were released:
- PDF version 1. 5 (and prior) supported. Added support for PKI via Microsoft Windows CryptoAPI without plug-in.
- Acrobat Professional 6. 0 – replacement for Acrobat 5. 0, with new features. Distiller printer driver renamed Adobe PDF. PDFWriter now gone for good. New version of Catalog integrated and not compatible with earlier products for searching.
- Acrobat Standard 6. 0 – limited version of Acrobat Professional, including Distiller but lacking features including Catalog, form design, prepress support.
- Updates to 6. 0. 1, 6. 0. 2, 6. 0. 3, 6. 0. 4, 6. 0. 5 and 6. 0. 6
- Dropped support for Windows 95 and Windows 98 First Edition. Acrobat Standard was for Windows 98 Second Edition, Me, NT 4. 0 SP6, 2000 SP2, and XP only. The professional version dropped support for Windows 98 SE and ME. Version 6. 0 also dropped support for Mac OS 9 and earlier. It was the first release for Mac OS X.
- Distiller Server 6. 0.
- Acrobat Elements 6. 0 – PDF creation only, aimed at the corporate market (minimum 1000 licenses, Windows only)
- Acrobat Elements Server 6. 0 – client/server version of Acrobat Elements
- Technology for "Reader enabling", allowing Reader to save, sign or annotate PDF files if the licensee had enabled the files.
Latest PDF File Icon
Adobe Acrobat 7. 0 was released January 2005: 
- Updates to 7. 0. 1, 7. 0. 2, 7. 0. 3, 7. 0. 5, 7. 0. 7, 7. 0. 8, 7. 0. 9 and 7. 1. 0.
- Dropped support for Windows 98 Second Edition and Windows Me.
- PDF version 1. 6 (and prior) supported. Added support for Adobe Policy Server rights management.
- Acrobat Professional 7. 0 – now includes Adobe LiveCycle Designer 7. Adobe LiveCycle Designer is a forms authoring tool published by Adobe Systems. 0 (Windows only) for XML form design (different and incompatible with previous form support) – Ability to embed 3D object information from the . u3d Universal 3D format. Universal 3D (U3D is a compressed file format for 3D data The format was defined by a special consortium called 3D Industry Forum that brought together a diverse First version to include controversial mandatory product activation. Product activation is a license validation procedure required by some proprietary Computer Software programs
- Acrobat Standard 7. 0
- Acrobat Elements 7. 0 (now minimum 100 licenses)
- Acrobat 3D (Windows only) – includes all of the functionality of Acrobat Professional 7. 0 as well as updated support for embedded 3D, tools for capturing 3D content from OpenGL applications, and the Adobe Acrobat 3D Toolkit for converting CAD documents to PDF objects. Also included is a version of the capture tool for installation on Unix.
- Windows NT 4. 0 SP6, 2000 SP2, XP, Mac OS X only for Acrobat. Although Linux, Solaris (SPARC only), HP-UX and AIX versions of Adobe Reader have been released.
- Other LiveCycle products include LiveCycle Barcoded Forms, LiveCycle Document Security, LiveCycle Reader Extensions (previously Document Server for Reader Extensions and other names), LiveCycle Forms (previously Form Server), LiveCycle Form Manager, LiveCycle Policy Server and LiveCycle Workflow. The Adobe LiveCycle Reader Extensions is software that users can use to enable some features in Acrobat Reader (now Adobe Reader 5 Some of these are server solutions intended for large businesses. Only LiveCycle Designer is bundled with Acrobat Professional.
Adobe Acrobat 8. Windows Vista (ˈvɪstə is a line of Operating systems developed by Microsoft for use on Personal computers including home and business desktops 0 was released November 2006: 
- PDF version 1. 7 (and prior) supported.
- Acrobat 8 Elements (was withdrawn before its expected release in mid-2007) 
- Acrobat 8 Standard (Windows only; Macintosh version not produced)
- Acrobat 8 Professional
- Acrobat 3D Version 8 (released May 31). Ability to produce embedded PRC data: highly compressed format for geometry and graphics (requires Reader 8. PRC is a 3D file format that can be used to embed 3D data in a PDF file 1 to display). Most innovative feature: Product Manufacturing Information, supported for many different CAD formats. Product and Manufacturing Information, or PMI, is used in 3D Computer-aided design (CAD and Collaborative Product Development systems to convey information
- Acrobat Connect (new in Acrobat family, formerly Macromedia Breeze) – online personal meeting rooms to collaborate in real time for up to 15 participants. Adobe Acrobat Connect Professional (formerly Macromedia Breeze) is software used to create information and general presentations online training materials web conferencing
- Acrobat Connect Professional (new in Acrobat family, formerly Macromedia Breeze) – Scalable, interactive web conferencing and multiple personal meeting rooms for everyone across an enterprise. Adobe Acrobat Connect Professional (formerly Macromedia Breeze) is software used to create information and general presentations online training materials web conferencing
- Mac OS X versions are Universal binary and only run on Mac OS X 10. A universal binary is in Apple parlance an Executable file or application bundle that runs natively on 4 or greater.
- On June 2007, an update version 8. 1 for Acrobat 8 Professional and Adobe Reader 8 was released in order to support Microsoft Office 2007, Windows Vista, and 64-bit Windows Operating Systems. Microsoft Office 2007 (officially called 2007 Microsoft Office system) is the most recent Windows version of the Microsoft Office system, Microsoft's Windows Vista (ˈvɪstə is a line of Operating systems developed by Microsoft for use on Personal computers including home and business desktops 
- September 2007, Reader 8. 1. 1 released for Linux and Solaris(SPARC) users.
Adobe Acrobat 9. 0 was announced officially in June 2008 for availability in July 2008:  :
- Product Family includes: Acrobat Standard 9, Acrobat Pro 9, Acrobat Pro Extended 9
- Extended Version includes Adobe Presenter and Adobe LiveCycle Designer ES
- Enable real-time collaboration of PDFs with synchronized document views and chat
- Integration with acrobat. Adobe Acrobat Connect Professional (formerly Macromedia Breeze) is software used to create information and general presentations online training materials web conferencing Adobe LiveCycle Enterprise Suite (ES is a suite of J2EE-based J2EE (Java 2 Enterprise Edition server Software products from Adobe Systems Incorporated com to enable storage and sharing of PDF files
- Users can put flash into PDF
- Personalize a PDF Portfolio with customizable templates for navigation and branding
- Compare and highlight the differences between two versions of a PDF document
- Insert FLV or H. 264 video for direct playback in Adobe Acrobat® and Adobe Reader
- Convert a variety of video formats to FLV for playback in PDF
- Create PDF maps by importing geospatial files that retain metadata and coordinates
Internationalization and localization
Adobe Acrobat is available in the following languages: Arabic, Brazilian Portuguese, Chinese Simplified, Chinese Traditional, Czech, Danish, Dutch, English, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hungarian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Norwegian, Polish, Romanian, Russian, Spanish, Swedish, Turkish, Ukrainian. Arabic, Hebrew and Greek versions available from WinSoft  Adobe Systems’ Internationalization and localization partner. Adobe Systems Incorporated (pronounced a-DOE-bee əˈdoʊbiː ( is an American Computer software company headquartered in San Jose California In Computing, Internationalization and localization (also spelled internationalisation and localisation, see spelling differences) are means of adapting
Specific Features for Arabic and Hebrew languages
The Arabic and Hebrew versions are specifically developed for these specific languages.
Adobe Acrobat Arabic and Hebrew versions come with special TouchUp properties to handle the needs of Middle Eastern languages, such as Arabic or Hindi digits, ligatures option, paragraph direction.
Adobe Acrobat Arabic and Hebrew versions propose a Search setting in PDF Documents, Bookmarks, Notes and other Comments to do accurate searches sensitive to Middle Eastern characters.
With Adobe Acrobat Arabic and Hebrew versions you can re-use Arabic and Hebrew texts from a PDF file, as you do with English texts. The Arabic/Hebrew text is transferred to the application as text, and will be displayed correctly if the application is able to handle correctly the Arabic or Hebrew script.
Adobe Acrobat Arabic and Hebrew versions allow you to easily convert Middle Eastern Web pages or entire sites to Adobe PDF files with all links intact for offline viewing and archiving using special encoding for languages of Middle Eastern Regions.
There have been a number of people who consider the software to be too slow to load and use, so they have developed workaround solutions to speed up the software.  The application has been improved by Adobe as the latest version of the software does load quicker; Adobe claims that Adobe Reader 7 users can "Open and save PDF files faster than ever" as version 7. 0 launches "up to 50% faster than version 6. 0".  This works by installing a QuickStart program which runs every time the computer is turned on, and which loads parts of Reader into memory. QuickStart is a loading method used by several different software applications, designed to speed up the loading time of their software This can improve the loading speed of Reader, but also uses up memory resources on the computer and causes longer system start-up times.
Many have also noted poor behavior in the Internet Explorer and Mozilla Firefox Acrobat plug-ins. The plug-ins do not support full asynchronous loading, thus causing browsers to appear to "lock up" until the document has been fully downloaded. To make matters worse, they apparently also fail to terminate when a document is closed, thereby leaving behind various CPU-intensive application threads that run until the next reboot. 
There is currently no official option to stop Reader 8 from Phoning home. Phoning home is unsually surreptitious communication between applications or hardware installed at end-user sites and their manufacturers or developers Furthermore, the "Updates" Preference in Reader 8 has been moved from "Edit | Preferences" to a different location. It can be found at "Help | Check for updates | Preferences", where one can choose "Automatic" or "Ask me before downloading", and "Weekly" or "Monthly". Note that "Adobe Reader 8" can be unchecked for "Applications to Update"; however, that will not stop it from checking for updates. Instead it will respond "No updates available" even if updates are available. Other than this, there is no official way to stop program from downloading updates every time you open Adobe Acrobat. Many Windows users have had success with the unofficial method of deleting the folder C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Updater5.
- ^ Adobe Acrobat family (2008). This list of PDF software includes links to articles on Computer software used to manage PDF documents Retrieved on 2008-01-19. 2008 ( MMVIII) is the current year in accordance with the Gregorian calendar, a Leap year that started on Tuesday of the Common Events 1419 - Hundred Years' War: Rouen surrenders to Henry V of England completing his reconquest of Normandy.
- ^ Adobe Reader (2008). Retrieved on 2008-01-19. 2008 ( MMVIII) is the current year in accordance with the Gregorian calendar, a Leap year that started on Tuesday of the Common Events 1419 - Hundred Years' War: Rouen surrenders to Henry V of England completing his reconquest of Normandy.
- ^ Adobe Systems Inc. , Help file for Acrobat 5. 0 wrote "Note: PDFWriter is a custom install option and is supported for Windows only".
- ^ About Adobe - Press Room - For Immediate Release
- ^ Adobe - Adobe Press Room: For immediate release
- ^ Adobe - Acrobat 7 Elements : FAQ
- ^ View Document
- ^ 
- ^ http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/matrix.html
- ^ Adobe Acrobat Professional software - Communicate and collaborate with the essential PDF solution, enhanced features for Central and East European and Middle Eastern users Users
- ^ Brockmeier, Joe. "Unexpected features in Acrobat 7", LWN.net, 2005-03-30. Year 2005 ( MMV) was a Common year starting on Saturday (link displays full calendar of the Gregorian calendar. Events 240 BC - 1st recorded Perihelion passage of Halley's Comet. Retrieved on 2007-01-10. Year 2007 ( MMVII) was a Common year starting on Monday of the Gregorian calendar in the 21st century. Events 49 BC - Julius Caesar crosses the Rubicon, signaling the start of civil war.
- ^ Naraine, Ryan. "Hacker Discovers Adobe PDF Back Doors", eWeek, 2006-09-15. For the Non-profit organization see EWeekorg eWEEK (tagline The Enterprise Newsweekly) is a weekly Computing Year 2006 ( MMVI) was a Common year starting on Sunday of the Gregorian calendar. Events 668 - Eastern Roman Emperor Constans II is assassinated in his bath at Syracuse Italy. Retrieved on 2007-01-10. Year 2007 ( MMVII) was a Common year starting on Monday of the Gregorian calendar in the 21st century. Events 49 BC - Julius Caesar crosses the Rubicon, signaling the start of civil war.
- ^ Speeding Up Acrobat Reader - Search Engine Watch
- ^ Solution to slow-opening PDFs and Adobe Acrobat crashing your browser - jotsheet
- ^ Adobe - Reader: New features
- ^ AcroRd32.exe Windows process - What is it?
© 2009 citizendia.org; parts available under the terms of GNU Free Documentation License, from http://en.wikipedia.org
network: | |