This article lists events related to rail transport that occurred in 1966. Year 1965 ( MCMLXV) was a Common year starting on Friday (link will display full calendar of the 1965 Gregorian calendar. Year 1966 ( MCMLXVI) was a Common year starting on Saturday (link will display full calendar of the 1966 Gregorian calendar. Year 1967 ( MCMLXVII) was a Common year starting on Sunday (link will display full calendar of the 1967 Gregorian calendar. Years in rail transport include Before 1700 1700 1800 1900 2000 Events January events January - British Railways adopts a new corporate identity including the name British Rail and the 'double arrow' symbol Events January events January - General Electric introduces the GE U30C. "Railroad" and "Railway" both redirect here For other uses see Railroad (disambiguation. Year 1966 ( MCMLXVI) was a Common year starting on Saturday (link will display full calendar of the 1966 Gregorian calendar.
- January - GE introduces the GE U28B. GE Transportation, formerly known as GE Rail, is a division of General Electric GE Technology Infrastructure (which also includes GE Aircraft Engine The GE U28B Diesel locomotive model replaced the U25B in early 1966 featuring a slightly uprated prime mover
- March 7 - The Western Region of British Railways closes the former Somerset and Dorset Joint Railway to virtually all traffic. Events 161 - Roman Emperor Antoninus Pius dies and is succeeded by co-Emperors Marcus Aurelius and Lucius Verus The Western Region was a region of British Railways from 1948 The Somerset & Dorset Joint Railway – almost always referred to as "the S&D" – was an English railway line connecting Bath in north east Somerset and 
- April 20 - The second segment, between Predeal and Câmpina, of Căile Ferate Române's (in Romania) electrification is completed. Events 1303 - The University of Rome La Sapienza is instituted by Pope Boniface VIII. Predeal (Romanian pronunciation /pre'de̯al/ Predeál is a town in Romania, in Braşov County. Câmpina (/'kɨmpina/ is a city in Prahova county Romania, north of the county seat Ploieşti, located on the main route between Wallachia Căile Ferate Române (translated "Romanian Railways" abbreviated as CFR) is the official designation of the State Railway carrier Romania ( dated: Rumania, Roumania
- July 17 - The first passenger operations begin at the Illinois Railway Museum using car number 415. Events 180 - Twelve inhabitants of Scillium in North Africa are executed for being Christians The Illinois Railway Museum ( IRM) is the largest railroad museum in the United States and is located in Union Illinois, northwest of Chicago 
- September 3 - The London Midland Region of British Railways closes the former Great Central Railway London Extension to passenger traffic between Aylesbury and Rugby Central, bringing an end to its career as "the last main line". Events 36 BC - In the Battle of Naulochus, Marcus Vipsanius Agrippa, Admiral of Octavian, defeats Sextus Pompeius For the modern day train operating company see London Midland The London Midland Region (LMR was one of the six regions created on the formation of the nationalised The Great Central Railway ( GCR) was a railway company in England which came into being when the Manchester Sheffield and Lincolnshire Railway changed Aylesbury railway station is the only Railway station in Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, England. Rugby Central was a railway station serving Rugby in Warwickshire on the former Great Central Main Line which opened in 1899 and closed in 1969 The Mainline or Main line of a Railway is a track that is used for through trains or is the principal artery of the system from which Branch lines, 
- December - GE introduces the GE U30B. GE Transportation, formerly known as GE Rail, is a division of General Electric GE Technology Infrastructure (which also includes GE Aircraft Engine General Electric's U30B was a further development of the U28B Locomotive, with a 3000 horsepower (2240 kW 16-cylinder prime mover
Unknown date events
- ALCO introduces the ALCO Century 415. The American Locomotive Company, often shortened to ALCO or Alco (or less frequently ALCo) was a builder of Railroad Locomotives in The ALCO Century 415 was a Diesel locomotive of B-B Wheel arrangement produced by the American Locomotive Company (ALCO as part of their
- The Chicago, Burlington and Quincy Railroad removes from service and donates the General Pershing Zephyr power car to the National Museum of Transport in St. Louis, Missouri. The Chicago Burlington and Quincy Railroad was a railroad that operated in the Midwestern United States. The General Pershing Zephyr was the ninth of the Chicago Burlington and Quincy Railroad 's ''Zephyr'' Streamliners and the last built
- Norris Roy Crump returns to the presidency of Canadian Pacific Railway for a short period, succeeding Robert A. Norris Roy ("Buck" Crump, CC ME DEng DSc LLD DCL ( July 30, 1904 &ndash December 26, 1989) was a Canadian The Canadian Pacific Railway ( "Bob" Emerson. Crump, in turn, is succeeded by Ian David Sinclair. Ian David Sinclair, OC, QC, BA, LLB, LLD ( December 27 1913 &ndash April 7 2006) was a
Unknown date deaths
- Martin W. Clement, president of the Pennsylvania Railroad 1935–1948 (b. The Pennsylvania Railroad was an American Railroad, founded in 1846 Year 1935 ( MCMXXXV) was a Common year starting on Tuesday (link will display full calendar of the Gregorian calendar. Year 1948 ( MCMXLVIII) was a Leap year starting on Thursday (link will display the 1948 calendar of the Gregorian calendar. 1881). Year 1881 ( MDCCCLXXXI) was a Common year starting on Saturday (link will display the full calendar of the Gregorian calendar (or a Common 
- White, John H. , Jr. (Spring 1986), America's most noteworthy railroaders, Railroad History, Railway and Locomotive Historical Society, 154, p. Spring is one of the four Temperate Seasons Spring marks the transition from Winter into Summer. Year 1986 ( MCMLXXXVI) was a Common year starting on Wednesday (link displays 1986 Gregorian calendar) 9-15.
- ^ Atthill, Robin (1967). The Somerset & Dorset Railway. Newton Abbot: David & Charles. ISBN 0-7153-4312-2.
- ^ Illinois Railway Museum (May 5, 2005). Events 553 - The Second Council of Constantinople begins 1215 - Rebel Barons renounce their allegiance to King John Year 2005 ( MMV) was a Common year starting on Saturday (link displays full calendar of the Gregorian calendar. History of the IRM. Retrieved on 2005-11-07. Year 2005 ( MMV) was a Common year starting on Saturday (link displays full calendar of the Gregorian calendar. Events 1492 - The Ensisheim Meteorite the oldest Meteorite with a known date of impact strikes the Earth around noon in a Wheat
- ^ Railway Archive. Retrieved on 2007-07-31. Year 2007 ( MMVII) was a Common year starting on Monday of the Gregorian calendar in the 21st century. Events 30 BC - Battle of Alexandria: Mark Antony achieves a minor victory over Octavian 's forces but most of his army subsequently
- ^ President and Fellows of Harvard College (2004). "MMIV" redirects here For the Modest Mouse album see " Baron von Bullshit Rides Again " 20th century great American business leaders - Martin W. Clement. Retrieved on 2005-02-23. Year 2005 ( MMV) was a Common year starting on Saturday (link displays full calendar of the Gregorian calendar. Events 1455 - Traditional date for the publication of the Gutenberg Bible, the first Western Book printed from Movable
© 2009 citizendia.org; parts available under the terms of GNU Free Documentation License, from http://en.wikipedia.org
network: | |